Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

Any tips for finding the rare people who will actually do a quality job?

Have enough work and money to keep one of the few GC/carpenters that work for the wealthiest people in your area working for a minimum of several weeks and hope they have availability.

These people do not advertise. They do not need to They typically drive brand new pickups with utility bodies with no signs on them. You find them through word of mouth with people who don't consider spending 6 figures to redo a deck they just had done 5 year previous just because they bored of it any kind of issue.

The GC version of this person is gold, because they know all the right subs who can not only do this quality of work but do it on time and clean up after themselves appropriately.

They probably don't have time to take your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Motronic posted:

They probably don't have time to take your job.

Then how about tips for finding the best person for someone of median income, median home value, and median renovation budget. I assume there’s a range of quality in that sector of the market. I hope so, at least.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

kreeningsons posted:

Then how about tips for finding the best person for someone of median income, median home value, and median renovation budget. I assume there’s a range of quality in that sector of the market. I hope so, at least.

Word of mouth or getting lucky. There's no one weird trick. There are certainly good quality GCs out there who have a list of reliable subs that do good work who don't always charge an arm and a leg... but they're almost always mega booked unless you have an in with them. They still probably don't advertise, or if they do it's some website they had made for $1500 15 years ago and has never been updated since then.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kreeningsons posted:

If you can find one good person, I've had very good luck asking them who *they'd* recommend. IIRC our gardener/landscaper recommended our plumber who recommended the guy who jetted out a drain line.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Word of mouth / networking for sure.
Don't neglect your own role in these things. Contractors will respond to how you present. If you've done your homework and know what you want, if you come with a budget and priorities, you'll have better luck than if you're all "I think we want a remodel, please halp?" Also different people want different things. Quality isn't some universal objective. Utilitarian vs aesthetic, etc. You may work well with someone that your neighbor would not

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
At the end of the day, if you have no word of mouth way, the best you can do is try and interview them and get references. I personally had no word of mouth because everyone I knew in this area who had hired contractors had taken the lowest bidder types who screwed them over. I ended up selecting the one I went with because when we were doing a walk through of the basement he was pointing out things that might be potential problems, and when I told him that I had never hired a contractor to do this large of a job before, he spent a good 20 minutes or so doing a "well whether you go with me or not, I've been in this business a long time and here's warning signs you should look out for with whoever you go with". In general from the interview / estimation process I just got a good vibe from him and his attention to detail, and it seemed to have worked out well.

Unfortunately there's not a better way that I could come up with besides trying to guess and taking a chance if you don't have recommendations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
okay this is a lot of work when can I do givesies backsies

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nextdoor kinda sucks but it does at least have a section where people can recommend various businesses and professionals, and you can see the total number of recs each place has had along with comments and maybe even photos. I have been using that to make decisions on who to call while I interview trades for my kitchen remodel, in conjunction with a document that people at work have collectively assembled over the years with personal recommendations. If you end up finding someone you work well with, they may even be able to recommend you other tradespeople they know and trust.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
loving raccoons chewed through the roof to become illegal tenants in my attic. Your days are numbered the raccoon Hunter is under contract.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elephanthead posted:

loving raccoons chewed through the roof to become illegal tenants in my attic. Your days are numbered the raccoon Hunter is under contract.

See what it'll cost to fix the rood & sheathing. The damage done by raccoons to get in is covered. The damage secondary to nesting & waste products is not covered, nor is removal.

How do I know?

Raccoon poo poo is awful. Got a face full of it after pulling off this plenum inspection panel while the wind was blowing in Ocean City, NJ (different claim)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

We just leave the light on in the laundry room if something's in the washer.

this is a good trick!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I need to finally reshingle my 35+ y.o. roof after a couple windstorms ripped some out. We would like to add a couple dormers to the unfinished side of the second floor to add some headroom for when we eventually finish it. It's a steep pitch, 12/12 or more so dormers would make a big difference.

What expertise do we need to hire? I assume roofers could execute it but who do I need to design and plan it?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Probably a GC.

Roofers for the roof, or course. But you'll need a carpenter/framer (whatever it's called where you are) to build the new structure.

You'll also need any trades to adjust electric or plumbing that is in or that you want in that area.

Also, an engineer and a permit probably, depending on your jurisdiction.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

spf3million posted:

I need to finally reshingle my 35+ y.o. roof after a couple windstorms ripped some out. We would like to add a couple dormers to the unfinished side of the second floor to add some headroom for when we eventually finish it. It's a steep pitch, 12/12 or more so dormers would make a big difference.

What expertise do we need to hire? I assume roofers could execute it but who do I need to design and plan it?

You did report this to your homeowners insurance, correct?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PainterofCrap posted:

You did report this to your homeowners insurance, correct?
I did not. Is that claim-worthy?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

I'm in the process of getting a new roof, and everyone is constantly telling me to report any damage to said new roof to the roofer, and then to the insurer. I would say it's at least worth a call.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

spf3million posted:

My grandmother was getting similarly aged roof replaced last year. The roofer she called came out, found some old hail damage, and advised that she call her insurance. Insurance ended up paying to replace.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

spf3million posted:

If the roof is so old or in poor condition that whatever few wind-blown shingles can’t be replaced without damaging the surrounding shingles, then yes.

Now, your roofer may be a little less-than-straightforward with you about this. It is increasingly difficult to find a roofer who will repair your roof. They all want to hit a home run. Ask them if your roof will pass a brittle test. If they mention anything about roof warranties, it’s probably repairable.

Since you were prepared to replace the roof on your own dime, it can’t hurt you to file a claim for it. At worst, you might get a couple grand towards it. At best, a 35-year-old roof is probably as brittle as cornflakes, and they’ll pay for a new roof. They will take a substantial depreciation on it, but it’s recoverable once the work is done. Should go a long way towards financing your dormers.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 25, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nybble posted:

It doesn’t have to be a flipper house, just the PO hiring the cheapest possible painters to try to rent, fail, and then sell the house. Air Intake painted, power panel painted, lots of “oh they didn’t even remove the plug wall plate”, and the kitchen cabinets repainted with wall paint.

Oh well, it’s fine now. Except that the drywall tape was failing and that was also painted over, so those cracks are showing up now along the border of most walls. fun!

Our house was painted entirely in this flat white color and they didn’t even bother to cover the light bulbs.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Really not happy with Costco's delivery process for our washer & dryer. They changed the date twice, the time twice, then showed up without the right crew (they forgot to tell the driver it was a haul-away or that it was up two flights of stairs), rescheduled again, then called me to reschedule again. I have to leave it for my wife to deal with now because it was either during a day I have to be in the office, or another 1.5-2 weeks from now (assuming they don't reschedule again).

Next up: Monday delivery of a Bosch 500 dishwasher and departure (hopefully?) of our garbage-tier Whirlpool unit, followed by yanking back the carpet in the living/dining room and figuring out the soft-spot issue in the floor. I keep putting that off because I'm terrified of what I might find. :ohdear:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Our house was painted entirely in this flat white color and they didn’t even bother to cover the light bulbs.

My favorite thing in any house is to pull off old fixtures and see the rainbow of terrifying and/or badly-dated colors and wallpapers behind it. Somewhere back around 2010, our master bathroom was painted with a hideous orange-brown that I'd describe as "Bilibrubin Brown." Flipper White was a loving upgrade, I tell ya.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sundae posted:

Really not happy with Costco's delivery process for our washer & dryer. They changed the date twice, the time twice, then showed up without the right crew (they forgot to tell the driver it was a haul-away or that it was up two flights of stairs), rescheduled again, then called me to reschedule again. I have to leave it for my wife to deal with now because it was either during a day I have to be in the office, or another 1.5-2 weeks from now (assuming they don't reschedule again).

Next up: Monday delivery of a Bosch 500 dishwasher and departure (hopefully?) of our garbage-tier Whirlpool unit, followed by yanking back the carpet in the living/dining room and figuring out the soft-spot issue in the floor. I keep putting that off because I'm terrified of what I might find. :ohdear:

My favorite thing in any house is to pull off old fixtures and see the rainbow of terrifying and/or badly-dated colors and wallpapers behind it. Somewhere back around 2010, our master bathroom was painted with a hideous orange-brown that I'd describe as "Bilibrubin Brown." Flipper White was a loving upgrade, I tell ya.

Make sure to inspect it for damage. I've got a coworker who had to send two back to Costco because of shipping damage.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The Costco Hired Goons that delivered my w/d didn’t do anything right, I’d have them dolly the appliances to your general utility location and hook them up yourself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone want to talk about HVAC filters? What do you tend to use?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

skipdogg posted:

Uhh I wouldn’t use RTV.

They make clear silicone caulk if you want to go that direction. They also make a sanded ceramic tile caulking that works fairly well for repairs like this. You might be able to find one somewhat close to that color.

This is what they sell at my local Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-380-Haystack-10-5-oz-Sanded-Ceramic-Tile-Caulk-PC38010S/100678064

Sanded caulk ended up working out great, and was able to color match almost exactly. Thanks!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

kreeningsons posted:

Ask a local architect who does higher end residential. They'll have a list of the local quality builders who aren't methheads, who in turn will know all the best subs.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

I use Koch XL8 2" filters. I tried to go to merv 10 but the increase in static pressure was just a little too much.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't handle anything over merv 4 or my ac struggles.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

QuarkJets posted:

No specific advice, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjRKIRva58

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

HVAC filter advice from my repair guy - the real secret is to replace more often. Don't bother with the super high end unless you have allergy issues. Merv 10s go on big sale fairly often (16x25x1 here also very common in the area), so I stock up when they do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My air filter is a stupidly unavailable size of 30x30x1. There are no deals to be found in that size.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are currently in the southeast where Pollen is the local annual disaster event (besides the occasional hurricane) we run a 3M allergen filter from ~February until our car stops turning green every three days (early June?) and then switch to generic. We are standard 20x20x1

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are these the filters in the ceiling of rooms, or is there a filter closer to the system that I’m completely neglecting?

The ones in my ceilings are:
4 12x12
1 12x24
1 20x25

We get the mid priced allergen ones and replace at 60-90 days depending on pollen levels.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

My air filter is a stupidly unavailable size of 30x30x1. There are no deals to be found in that size.

Not the super high MERV but 4+ for 6.99 and once you get above $50 shipping is free I believe:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-30-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Allergen-Plus-Pleated-Air-Filter-FPR-7-HDX1P7-013030/315174448

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No ceiling/wall filters here, just the one on the hvac unit. Even with a merv 12 I only have to replace it every 4-5 months, it’s nice. Not a ton of pollen, dust, etc to deal with.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got a 16x25x4 filter and I stick a MERV 14 in there and replace it every 6 months and it's fantastic. The downside is that because it's 4" thick, it has to be accessed directly off the HVAC blower in the attic, but since it's only once every 6 months it's not too bad.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I went with MERV11 after I ran out of the filters the PO left in the garage, but my utility costs have been brutal this winter, so now I'm wondering if I'm forcing the system to work harder and should go to a less restrictive filter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

skybolt_1 posted:

Not the super high MERV but 4+ for 6.99 and once you get above $50 shipping is free I believe:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-30-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Allergen-Plus-Pleated-Air-Filter-FPR-7-HDX1P7-013030/315174448

gently caress yeah. Thanks!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
How to know when to replace? Seems like regardless of MERV all the Home Depot stuff says to replace every 90 days at minimum, but obviously I dunno if that is needed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone using a washable kind or are those ill-advised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I've got that (nominal) 16x25x5 so I basically take whatever the store has. Typically just one option and it's CAD $40+.