Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was the 5.1.1 hotfix our labs did not like. I didn't have an issue in my room, but other rooms had issues opening it. My guess is our IT instal was initially weird.

The icon on the desktop for Microsoft Teams is to the freaking installer so who knows what they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Alterian posted:

I just need a place to post this where people can appreciate how frustrating this is going to be: The college I teach at wants to take admin rights away from our work computers. Any time we need to update anything or run an .exe, it has to be sent to IT first to check it out and then they will give us a safe link to download it from.

I teach game development and regularly have to try and test out new tools/software/addons and our students give us executables as part of their projects.
:psyduck:

I told my department head I would rather purchase my own laptop and be responsible for maintaining it and have the school reimburse me for software than deal with this bullshit.

Welcome to my particular hell. Luckily I have known the IT guys for years but yeah - insanely frustrating. Just wait until they set the computers to reset themselves at dawn the next day "to prevent malware and students installing stuff they shouldn't"...

It's great when during a class demo I find that the software requires an update and won't run and IT is too busy to help. My advice is to check ALL software and hardware before the term starts but that won't save you all of the time.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dekubrush/status/1637129900388917248?s=20

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Studio I work at wants to get more into stylised animation work and less vfx so I'm doing some stuff in that direction, also learning substance a bit.

Yes, I have terrible taste in music

Nice!
This seems to be a trend with studios. Theres so much potential vfx work out there but clients are crazy and working with such short deadlines and the work has to look photo-real which is such a challenge. Stylized cg seems much easier from a management perspective. Cinesite and Animal Logic as well as a bunch of smaller studios transitioned away from vfx and toward cartoony tv series and features because of this. Also I think the profit margin in full-cg work is better?

I definitely never worked as much OT in cartoony stuff as I do in vfx. Every stint in vfx I do I gain like 30 lbs from the OT and the fact everyone drinks so much...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/victoria-alonso-marvel-studios-exit-1235559674/

One less slave driver. She was terrible to work for.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

gently caress that bitch. Good riddance.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

gently caress that bitch. Good riddance.

I understand she was terrible to work with but let's not do *that.*

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Do what?
She is the epitome of everything that's wrong with the VFX industry. She had way too much power and wasn't afraid to abuse it. (In fact, that was her default mode of operating).

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it's the gendered insult

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Do what?
She is the epitome of everything that's wrong with the VFX industry. She had way too much power and wasn't afraid to abuse it. (In fact, that was her default mode of operating).

Don't use the word "bitch" is what I was referring to.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Well, if there ever was justifiable application, it would go to her.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

Jesus christ....

Here is someone who made life a living hell for many but WHOA WHOA WHOA lets not call her a bitch thats uncalled for.

You have taken white knighting to a whole new level.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 25, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Jesus christ....

Here is someone who made life a living hell for many but WHOA WHOA WHOA lets not call her a bitch thats uncalled for.

You have taken white knighting to a whole new level.

Where did I white knight her? She can be a terrible person (she is) and you can also make that clear without using gendered insults.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 25, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Alonso thing is interesting. I've long heard terrifying things about her but it almost felt like she knew she had overstepped her bounds by promoting Argentina, 1985 in violation of her contract with Disney.

But yeah, I hope the next person filling that role isn't such a bully or kingmaker type. We need less power hungry maniacs who never give benefit of the doubt in this business.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

(ever heard a vfx supervisor from a comp background try to give notes on camera or animation? its hilarious.)

Several. And usually quite good. Most VFX supes comes from Light or Comp.

Alonso didn't give a poo poo about the technicalities of VFX. She told people what needed to get done and left it up VFX supes (Studio and Vendor) to figure out how to actually carry out the stupid amount of work that needed to get done in no time.
Marvel Studios are loving stupid. They would pixel-gently caress to the extreme, then finally approve it, only to come back 2 weeks later and change everything....and blame it on the VFX studio. Alonso would jump in and say if they didn't do the work in time, they would never get another Marvel project.
Best was we were waiting for the plates to do the temps. Marvel would then ask for an update on the temps and we tell them that we kinda needed the plates to do said temps and they would get all hissy and tell us to just do the work anyway. What work? We have nothing to work with other than a pre-vis where the actual shot had changed 57 times since that was made.

Or just the last Spiderman movie. All the work had been approved and there was only a small crew left for tech fixes and kickbacks. We're all pretty burned out and are happy to just sit back and do the odd fix.
Then wonderful Marvel comes and go . "You know all those FX you did for the ending that you spent 6 months on and that we absolutely loved (and got approved 4 weeks ago)....yeah, we don't like them anymore, so can you please change it. You have 3.5 weeks before release, but we'll need a version for the China release in 2 weeks".

Fuckheads.

They ended up releasing 3 different versions of that movie. 1 for China, 1 for International and 1 for US. Only the US version had the final VFX in it.

That it's taken this long for the wheels to start coming off the wagon is frankly a miracle and watching Alonso getting kicked to the curb brings me a lot of joy. She made the life miserable for a lot of people due to her own ineptitude and if you can tell me another word than 'bitch' that will have the same emphasis, I will happily use that instead...but I can't think of any.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

They ended up releasing 3 different versions of that movie. 1 for China, 1 for International and 1 for US. Only the US version had the final VFX in it.

So when it goes to streaming/physical disc, what happens- does the final version become the definitive one, or do they still keep the unfinished versions for release in those foreign markets?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Listerine posted:

So when it goes to streaming/physical disc, what happens- does the final version become the definitive one, or do they still keep the unfinished versions for release in those foreign markets?

I think the final version becomes the definitive one.
This article suggests Alonso leaving during the Iger shakeup will lead to a lot less vfx work. So hard times ahead.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/disney-lawsuit-threat-victoria-alonso-firing-marvel-patty-glaser-1235309916/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

She made the life miserable for a lot of people due to her own ineptitude and if you can tell me another word than 'bitch' that will have the same emphasis, I will happily use that instead...but I can't think of any.

There's a million other insults out there. Quit being lazy. This is ridiculous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
He's not calling her a bitch because she's a lady, he's calling her a bitch because she's a bitch. (reportedly)

Sometimes it is okay for an insult to be insulting!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 26, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagebrush posted:

He's not calling her a bitch because she's a lady, he's calling her a bitch because she's a bitch. (reportedly)

Sometimes it is okay for an insult to be insulting!

No I know why he's doing it. I just think it's a gendered insult and rooted in misogyny and I prefer not to use it. I don't think just because she's a terrible person is an excuse to an offensive term.

I've said all I can do I'll just leave it there from my side.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I will say I don't think Alonso's behavior is that uncommon in vfx. I've seen animation supervisors and vfx supes who are equally horrible to people. Depends on how stressed they are.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have any experience with the Sketchfab API? I'd like to have my own viewer app that loads multiple models, and toggles their visibility, not sure how hard this is to put together.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Am I reading this right, anyone who just paid the ~$600 to update their perpetual license to Zbrush 2023 won't be getting the 2023.x features and will have to wait until the next new version release? If so loving lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress Maxon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Listerine posted:

Am I reading this right, anyone who just paid the ~$600 to update their perpetual license to Zbrush 2023 won't be getting the 2023.x features and will have to wait until the next new version release? If so loving lol.

Yup they are scummy as gently caress. They wrapped up the live stream in a hurry when people started calling them out on it in the chat.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm really glad I didn't put up for that 2023 upgrade now. RIP Zbrush.

What does the field look like for alternatives? 3DCoat is having a sale, and I can probably get Mudbox for free with an academic license, but I haven't seen anyone post anything out of Mudbox in years.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think mudbox is still developed in any meaningful way, according to a colleague who uses it anyway. Thanks Autodesk for that I guess. Sculpting in blender seems to be improving but I've never tried it. I pretty much make my entire living with ZBrush so I'm too bought in to change at this point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've never used 3DCoat so I can't comment on it, but I know folks that have and totally love it. It's also very feature robust for painting and UV'ing even when doing non-sculptural stuff I believe so... it's pretty beloved as far as I can tell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its like forever ago when I got burned by 3d Coat's religious restriction EULA, but afaik thats not an issue anymore hahah.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Was that ever in the actual EULA? I think it's just a request rather than terms of use.

When I was comparing texturing tools I was turned off by that but then I considered my other main option was Adobe so it was basically a weird Christians vs. the devil type of choice.

Also the result of checking out every major texturing software on the market was that none of them really do what I need but 3DCoat's texturing features come closest.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

4 RESTRICTIONS

4.1 The 3D-Coat software should not be used in the production of any lewd or obscene materials as well as of any products which propagandize hatred against people. We understand that we are not able to check you, this is on your conscience, but we warn you about responsibility before God.

afair this resulted in some work being removed when posted up on their boards. There was some chatter about licenses being disabled because of it but it was long enough ago that I cant remember or find anything concrete.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I wanted to to try my hand at NPR in blender some time ago, so I wanted to go with the anime look.
But instead of the modern crisp look of anime of today, I wanted the grungy anime of the 80's and 90's

Here's 2 things I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjEsAPbNs9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A5lbbuq310

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are cool! I like the first one especially, the FX look sweet also

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
if you downloaded Twinmotion 2018 five years ago on the Epic Store you get the commercial license version of Twinmotion 2023.1

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Doing some Blender scripting to turn particles into VDB volume density. Apparently this is something Houdini can readily do out of the box but I need it in Blender. It turns out VDBs are really simple so creating them from scratch is pretty easy.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 8, 2023

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I finally finished my first animation!

Croctapus goes exploring

Every time I watch it I see more mistakes, but I know well enough to move on and learn from my mistakes. Thanks to those in the thread who helped with my rendering issues, I would never have thought to turn off post processing when the screen went black!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I finally finished my first animation!

Croctapus goes exploring

Every time I watch it I see more mistakes, but I know well enough to move on and learn from my mistakes. Thanks to those in the thread who helped with my rendering issues, I would never have thought to turn off post processing when the screen went black!

Pretty neat. You might want to work on your animation's curves, timing and interpolation to achieve a more natural look to the movement!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I managed to complete this in time for an art contest. I procrastinated hard on it.
https://skfb.ly/oGnEz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What sites should I look at if I want to put up 3d print designs for sale? Are there different ones for different objects, i.e. toys, minis, utility etc? It looks incredibly diverse/fractured these days and I havent kept up.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 19, 2023