Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Heavy_D posted:

Latest TM Au episode home-solve-along: In the map task, I instantly wanted to get some paper and some masking tape, go down and mask off an outline of Australia on the canvas, then head back up and freely bomb the paint down on the uncovered areas. I did toy with the idea of instead masking off the interior with a cutout of the land, then cover the exterior with blue paint and create the map in negative. But all it takes is someone to contend that I didn't paint the map itself by leaving it blank...

:hfive: Great minds think alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Heavy_D posted:

Latest TM Au episode home-solve-along: In the map task, I instantly wanted to get some paper and some masking tape, go down and mask off an outline of Australia on the canvas, then head back up and freely bomb the paint down on the uncovered areas. I did toy with the idea of instead masking off the interior with a cutout of the land, then cover the exterior with blue paint and create the map in negative. But all it takes is someone to contend that I didn't paint the map itself by leaving it blank...

It's a great idea, but only having 13 minutes gives you very little time to pull it off. Granted, if it fit into the time you could tape the outline and ask Lesser Tom to dump the paint.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It was canvas, it was below them, they were still on the balcony. It counts! Justice!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, it definitely was something not thought through. Nina and Danielle should have been awarded points, even though they clearly didn't even intend it to be an outside the box solution.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Afraid I have to disagree with you there - the tarpaulin on the balcony was a deliberate trap set by the task authors. Tom's behaviour is not of someone taken aback by what the contestant's doing, it's that of a man who knows they've hosed it and wants to draw attention to how. Staring off the balcony and calling Dani's work "very minimalist" is some of Tom's best work all season. Even if you want to claim that it was "canvas" in the abstract sense of a medium art was performed upon, it can't be said to be on the ground.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It facilitated Nina giving her extremely good taunt directly to camera, and that's all that matters.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Taunt plus mirrored responses, AU is sooooo good.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

But hey, the Suurmestari S4 is actually really funny this time around! As always, Jaakko Saarenluoma is a bit of a wet blanket compared to Greg Davies, but they have two regular competitors that are frequent collaborators which both are comedians with him, and it shows immediately.

They also have brought back the "this can be solved with an esoteric approach" which was badly lacking, and the guest competitors so far have been given appropriate amount of lip for terrible performances, unlike the previous season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those songs on TM AU were some of the worst ever. Like, usually the producers make them somewhat musical. I guess Nina’s recorder was okay.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I havent had a task make me laugh so hard I couldnt breathe in a while but Julia's spelling task got me there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

smackfu posted:

Those songs on TM AU were some of the worst ever. Like, usually the producers make them somewhat musical. I guess Nina’s recorder was okay.

I thought Julia's improvised hamboning was great. :shrug:

I remain underwhelmed by male contestants, however.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lars Berrum, the complete idiot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCi1L-O1Jwc

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I thought Danielle's song was almost good. If she had focused a little more and made it less rambling she could have pulled it off. It had some promise right at the start up till the dog hotel part went off the rails.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMKQopo4yg

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol the guy just silently hiding behind the couch

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Finally, we get to see that room's ceiling .

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
They just went through the prize task on Suurmestari without even discussing what each of them brought. It’s so frustratingly bad.

Meanwhile, TM Australia just keeps on getting better. Except Nina who is consistently terrible at simply completing tasks.

E: I started watching Guy Mont-Spelling Bee yesterday. I thought it was going to be like all those beige comedy panel shows Dave produced after they lost Taskmaster but it turns out it’s actually really good and funny.

Creature fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I look forward to someday understanding why people love this applesauce sponsored spelling bee

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The original pandemic Zoom version of the spelling bee show is ruining the search results.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That cake task:allears:

* Morgana asks where the secret cake room and Alex seems puzzled about the question.
* There's always a cake in the vicinity of Victoria.
* Alan makes a lovely paper cake and still comes second last, next to Morgana who baked a cake from scratch.
* Turns out that there is a secret cake room.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 25, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh wow I love Greg Davies but completely missed that this show existed

Looks like I’ve got a lot to catch up on :)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Snowy posted:

You've got a lot of dumb fun to catch up on :supaburn:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Snowy posted:

I envy the adventure you are about to embark on

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Snowy posted:

welcome, we have such things to show you

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Boy and I thought I was lucky when I finished series 5 and went, "There's four more of these?!"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Snowy posted:

Make sure you save time to watch Series 15 with us starting next week!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Can't believe we're already on series 15.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pinwiz11 posted:

Make sure you save time to watch Series 15 with us starting next week!

Oh gently caress! Should I just start on 15? It couldn’t matter if I haven’t seen the rest….could it? :ohdear:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Snowy posted:

Oh gently caress! Should I just start on 15? It couldn’t matter if I haven’t seen the rest….could it? :ohdear:

Ride the vibe! Even the official podcast jumps around in the seasons. They're in the middle of discussing s7 right now, and they're pausing that so they can do s15 live.

I discovered TM on youtube clips, and then suddenly season 11 started I think, 'twas good

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah when I first found TM on YouTube I think I watched S4 first? Then just kind of jumped around until eventually I'd seen all of them. There are very subtle callbacks to previous series in some of the set design but it's all easter egg level stuff so there's no need to go back and watch from the beginning, you can start on pretty much series and immediately get the vibe of the show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snowy posted:

Every season has banger episodes, some have more than others, but all of them are entertaining. There are running jokes/gags/props, but they're not really important in the long run (except maybe rubber ducks) so watch what you want, although skipping from season to season is not recommended. However, starting on Season 1, then pausing to watch the first episode of Season 15, then going back to Season 1, and continuing like that will work fine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah when I first found TM on YouTube I think I watched S4 first? Then just kind of jumped around until eventually I'd seen all of them. There are very subtle callbacks to previous series in some of the set design but it's all easter egg level stuff so there's no need to go back and watch from the beginning, you can start on pretty much series and immediately get the vibe of the show.

Same here! Found a clip on Youtube around when watching Would I Lie To You clips, instantly became engrossed, found a few episodes on Youtube, and jumped around till I eventually binged the whole thing in order. Which wasn't much since that was like 3-4 years ago. I definitely recommend eventually watching in order, just to see some callbacks from tasks or ducks and stuff.

Wild how popular the series has gotten, I really wish they would have waited till around nowish to try and American version and kept it much more in line with the british version.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched a Greg Davies show because of TM, might not have heard of it otherwise, it was good. I watched Alex's show but it was more "cute" than funny, but still had some good bits.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
How many non-UK goons were introduced to the show via the YouTube algorithm recommending The Joe Wilkinson Potato Heartbreak?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I was skimming the UK TV thread for a bit and just hearing the show described by text was so baffling that I looked up some clips for context and ended up watching all that was available over the next week.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Snowy posted:

sorry you have to watch everything in order, the game show has a very deep lore with foreshadowing.

Also my introduction to the show was some user posting the potato clip and the red-green misstep. a marriage destroyed.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
One little (and maybe obvious) point if you're new to the show, and a difference to e.g. Would I Lie To You: whichever season you choose, it's still recommended to watch that season in order from start to finish. Firstly, the scores from each episode add up to determine an overall season champion, and there are occasional recaps of the season scores. Potential for mild spoilers if you just watch a mid-series episode. In addition, the way that the same contestants come back every week of the season mean there's a gentle "arc" over a whole season. At the start, neither Greg nor the audience knows quite what the contestant will be like - and I think they select tasks in the first episode to acclimatise us to them. The later episodes build on those first impressions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy_D posted:

One little (and maybe obvious) point if you're new to the show, and a difference to e.g. Would I Lie To You: whichever season you choose, it's still recommended to watch that season in order from start to finish. Firstly, the scores from each episode add up to determine an overall season champion, and there are occasional recaps of the season scores. Potential for mild spoilers if you just watch a mid-series episode. In addition, the way that the same contestants come back every week of the season mean there's a gentle "arc" over a whole season. At the start, neither Greg nor the audience knows quite what the contestant will be like - and I think they select tasks in the first episode to acclimatise us to them. The later episodes build on those first impressions.

Yeah the tasks themselves are not shown in the order they were filmed, but the studio segments are, and there's a clear building up of rapport over each series, it's part of the charm of the show that makes it stand out from other panel shows because it's not just a one and done thing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Joe Thomas's story arc is why I won't stand for anyone besmirching series 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Heavy_D posted:

That's what I meant, only said more clearly. Start a season (any season) at the beginning, and don't skip around works the best.