Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The cover of Only You is also awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

The cover of Only You is also awful

Can't get all my awesomeness into just a cover it's true.

So I'm not just poo poo posting, I watched Big Brown Eyes and there's a whole lot of interesting parts in a really weird package. The dialogue is generally great, and the chemistry between Grant and Bennett is awesome, but the plot is loving weird. I'm not sure who needed a movie about how the cops are too hamstrung by the laws to do their job properly, but it's not great, and really seems tacked on. At least Dirty Harry tries to earn it, this corruption feels laughable.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 15, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Antman Quantumania is peak Marvel bad comic book writing, but at least it wasn't depressing this time. I doubt I shall remember this movie in a month.

What I will remember in a month is to go see Polite Society after seeing a poster for it in the lobby.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Death Becomes Her (1992) peak zemeckis, very good special effects for the time in service of a dumb plot. It has some clever bits but I didn’t find it particularly funny. At least Isabella Rossellini was looking fine as hell

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Trouble in Paradise loved it. Wish we could get some real comedy of manner type movies made nowadays that were refined as well as bawdy. And not exclusively Austenian.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I decided to commemorate St. Patrick's day by watching Barry Lyndon and I certainly could have found worse ways to do so. Also I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night, so that's two movies I've watched in two days where both Pat Roach and Wolf Kahler get their rear end handed to them some way or another. And if I had access to those lenses, I too would be tempted to rub it in everyone's faces the way Kubrick does.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Happiness. What the absolute poo poo is happening here? If nothing else it's a good double feature for Blue Velvet in terms of the grimy underside of everyday life. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is perfect, the pedo plot is painful to watch. A land of contrasts. Can't tell if I actually liked the movie because I was on edge most of the runtime.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Party Girl 1995. I quite enjoyed this but it's got strong indie movie vibes. The makers are often more interested in using a certain technique or trick than telling their story effectively

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

distortion park posted:

Party Girl 1995. I quite enjoyed this but it's got strong indie movie vibes. The makers are often more interested in using a certain technique or trick than telling their story effectively

Yeah, but what other movie can you name that tries to depict library science as the latest hip, edgy thing that all the cool kids are into these days?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah, but what other movie can you name that tries to depict library science as the latest hip, edgy thing that all the cool kids are into these days?

Yeah it's good. The cool/not cool politics of the film didn't make much sense until I decided that everyone involved in making the film had a very different experience of being young to me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Cool stuff, gorgeous film. The floating fighting is really weird for the first few minutes but is actually awesome. Doesn't really make me want to watch other wuxia movies though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well if you want wuxia without the high wire flying you could go back to the King Hu classics, those are just good rear end movies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Watched some of the other Ishiro Honda directed kaiju films.

The Mysterians - The Planet Mysteroid needs women!! So they colonize Earth (well Japan) and start demanding ladies to breed with while lecturing humanity about the dangers of technology and war, the damned hypocrites. This is the origin of the robot Mogera, which would get a sleeker redesign in the 80s film Godzilla vs Space Godzilla. It's essentially a giant, golden penguin with thunderthighs. It also gets it's rear end kicked by the military like halfway through and only makes a brief appearance at the end. Sad! So this is more of an alien invasion tale than a proper kaiju thriller. There's definitely some sort of statement here with Japan being occupied by a bunch of moralizing colonizers who really just want to gently caress their women but I can't think of anything irl that could be referencing.

Varan - Varan is like the Tien of the Godzilla franchise. As I kid I would see him show up in movies and be like "huh? what's his deal?". They didn't really show his debut on TV back then. And I can see why, this is really a sort of offbrand Godzilla. Butterfly scientists (really?) visit a remote part of Japan, encounter some tribesmen (in Japan??) and discover a big stupid looking lizard. There's not too much mystery here, a scientist sees the monster and immediately identifies it as "The Varan".

I love the way the music just cuts out the moment The Varan slaps down the airplane. In general the music in this movie is classic, Ifukube really brought his A game here. They must have thought it was too good for this movie because years later The Varan's theme song would be reassigned to King Ghidorah, who is, let's face it, the more deserving kaiju. The rest of the movie is about on the level of an Ultra Q episode. And from what I've read of it's production history, that's what it is - just a made for TV project that was turned into a theatrical release. It's OK.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Mysterians monster is great

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Amateur (1994) - I'm unable to believe that Isabelle Huppert's character has spent a single moment inside a Nunnery prior to the start of this film.

I hadn't seen a Hartley film before and like it a lot. It feels very derivative but I think it's sometimes the opposite - one of the mob guys sounded like American Psycho at times and this came out 6 years before that film!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 20, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A Quiet Place - these people are terrible planners and should never be trusted with anything or anyone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

distortion park posted:

The Mysterians monster is great

He should have been the big bad! That would have been more interesting than the actual final battle.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Loulou (1980). The men, setting, and plot are all bleak. Obviously well made but not much fun to watch, the resigned frustration with and bitterness towards even the good things in life is very powerful.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 21, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In fact it's exactly what you would expect for a 1980 French film which imdb summarizes as "A bored wife leaves her husband for an unemployed, petty criminal."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation I thought Ghost slipped a little from where three was at, just for how underwhelming I found Pegg, Hawkeye, and the villain. This movie really feels like them getting back to the highs of not only 3, but also that of the first film. Delving back into that paranoid double triple agent talk of the first film, and even taking us back to Vienna. As a plus Ilsa Faust feels like the first counteragent that could actually hold her own against Ethan. Bringing her in as a Femme Fatale really brought up the energy levels and mystery. Then you get Luther back in a bigger role, Pegg actually doing some acting instead of a schtick, and Hawkeye feeling much more confident in his role. Whole thing just comes out way better.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Rye Lane (2022) - delightful, funny, joyful South London-set romcom, with two Black British leads that had me leaving the cinema with a big smile on my face. Wide wide camera angles and a colour palette that just pops off the screen, portraying 2020s Britain. No idea if this will get a US release as sadly it's only had a more limited release in the UK so far - had to travel to see it at a not-so-local independent cinema but am glad I did. Debut feature of the director, and it came in at 82 minutes, which was the perfect length, and had a great cameo from an Oscar-winning British star as the chef of a burrito joint called Love Guactually. Want to go and watch it again!

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I saw John Wick for the first time this weekend. The first 30 minutes were alright but when he goes to the hotel the movie fails me. Its just too silly. I did finish it though. No desire to see the rest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
John Wick’s world doesn’t feel real to me. It’s just him, like 20 other people, and then everyone else is something below NPC. Nothing makes sense.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

John Wick 4 - if I ever rewatch this I'll fast-forward through all the plot bits and focus on the action scenes and any time Scott Fatkins or Donnie are on screen. Those parts are like perfect to me.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Tetris: perfectly alright. Takes itself just seriously enough to work, but maybe takes the real-world events a little too seriously. Lotta weird pontificating about "the people want freedom" which, while it might not be an entirely untrue way to describe the late-80s USSR, felt super cringey coming from an American film. Plus, the ending featured a mashup montage of the real history of the end of the Soviet Union against the success of the game, I couldn't help but think they were trying to suggest that Tetris brought down the Iron Curtain???

Overall not bad enough to stop me from feeling invested in Henk's success.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: not the thread for it

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 27, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Empire of Light - whole lot of talent making the best of a terrible script

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Quebec Bagnet posted:

Tetris: Plus, the ending featured a mashup montage of the real history of the end of the Soviet Union against the success of the game, I couldn't help but think they were trying to suggest that Tetris brought down the Iron Curtain???
Maybe the idea is if you line everything up right, the barrier that has been built up will disappear.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Touch Of Evil - This thing bangs. Had Welles been allowed to release it his way, it would've blown minds in 1958. LOL at Heston's brownface though.

Enys Men - A MOMA exhibit falsely released to theaters. Pretentious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
3 Women- And here I thought Images was Altman's only horror/thriller. This has a really interesting sense of something being off throughout, you're never sure exactly where it's going, the music is nice and eerie, and they found someone to paint some genuinely freaky-looking murals everywhere which is good. Duvall's incredible here. Also there's a bit where she clarifies that her dress is an English mustard yellow while her car is more of a French mustard color and that may in fact be the most 1970s dialogue ever written.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No Country for Old Men Gave it another chance, and once again I come away thinking There will be Blood is not only superior in every way, but by a country mile. I just don't think McCarthy's style translates to the screen despite the best efforts of the Coens. Shifting the Sheriff into the background makes for a more compelling film, I especially like seeing the low tech pseudo spycraft that they engage in, but it makes the actual message and theme of the book almost impossible to divine. I saw a letterboxd review that mentioned that the film documented a process of transition between old timey crime and the modern cartel poo poo. It misses the point of the conversation he has with his uncle, but I can see how you could take the message away if you weren't paying close enough attention. Something you absolutely could not do with the novel, especially following on from Blood Meridian.

True Grit A much better film. Being so steeped in the genre really helps reduce the fatigue I get from the Coens impotent nihilism.

The Quiet Girl I felt feelings, some of that poo poo is a little too real if you feel me. Better film from last year from Ireland than Banshee's

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe the idea is if you line everything up right, the barrier that has been built up will disappear.

Maybe but those ideas were presented in far too jingoistic a way for me to enjoy them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was making a joke.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Oh :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Keoma
This spaghetti western is absolutely excellent - except for one incredibly frustrating element that drat near ruins everything else it has going for it.

The goddamn music.

https://youtu.be/jXrqtrsXPFk

What the gently caress were they thinking? Off-key sing-song lyrics that just describe the scene we’re already watching with insane attempts at falsetto and harmonizing that just do not work at all, and what’s even worse is that it often plays over the best visuals in the movie. Never have I wanted to mute a movie more often. Did Franco Nero himself sing the male parts? It’s absolutely atrocious. What I would give for some standard Morricone twangs and whistles or even just a stock orchestral score.

That said, it’s one of the most visually interesting spaghetti westerns I’ve seen, the cast is pretty much all great, and Nero in particular is doing some amazing work.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Keoma
This spaghetti western is absolutely excellent - except for one incredibly frustrating element that drat near ruins everything else it has going for it.

The goddamn music.

What the gently caress were they thinking? Off-key sing-song lyrics that just describe the scene we’re already watching with insane attempts at falsetto and harmonizing that just do not work at all, and what’s even worse is that it often plays over the best visuals in the movie. Never have I wanted to mute a movie more often. Did Franco Nero himself sing the male parts? It’s absolutely atrocious. What I would give for some standard Morricone twangs and whistles or even just a stock orchestral score.

That said, it’s one of the most visually interesting spaghetti westerns I’ve seen, the cast is pretty much all great, and Nero in particular is doing some amazing work.

hahahahahaha wtf that's amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Keoma

The goddamn music.

Lmao that's absolutely loving incredible, I have to watch this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Keoma

The goddamn music.

This owns, it's like Kojima directed a western

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
When I write songs I too like to write at the absolute bottom end of the singer’s range, then go one note lower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Warriors (1979) stylish as hell, cool as hell. weird we didn’t get any resolution on the fate of Cleon unless I missed some incidental dialogue.