Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

It was also great during the early lockdowns, mine had to stop news subscribers, and we kept a regular source of healthy vegetables.

Same with my milkman.

I’m glad your milkman had a regular source of fresh vegetables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do you folks cope with "This is too many beets" and "this kale is not in good condition"?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arkhamina posted:

Ours has a 'share box' which is where the fennel goes, for me. I love beets, I love swedes, I tolerate parsnips, but yuck, licorice vegetable. I get a goodly amount of beets from there!
What one box had:

Gimme all that fennel - I can happily eat 2-3 of them for lunch, just sliced, drizzled with oil and roasted. They are so drat tasty.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you folks cope with "This is too many beets" and "this kale is not in good condition"?

Trash; soup.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Toronto links but local food banks/reclamation groups like this and this one are likely available in your area if you need a way to put nonperfect food into hungry people!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son has a pet chameleon, so any mediocre leafy greens get put in the locust tank.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I eat almost all of it. We consider it Iron Chef, vegetable version. (Except for the fennel!) We compost, so scrap outer leaves go there, and I grew up eating a lot of organic stuff, so I accept a broccoli worm or too. Some things we are still, 5+ years in seeking good recipes for (spring turnip) but fucket, you always can stir fry stuff in a pinch.

We are two people, but in laws are close, I can stuff, and we have friends over for board games most Saturdays. Stir fry, soup, omelettes...

We had an egg CSA in 2020 that rocked, doorstep eggs, but they are back to their normal model that involves driving to a store I don't live or work near. I need an egg hookup.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hand ground curry paste take 2: prepared the lemon grass properly and got a fairly smooth paste although I foolishly left all the seeds in the chilis so I'm just eating this sounding like Louie Armstrong with a cough.

Made a red curry with bok choy, bamboo, and veal stew meat a real "clean out the fridge" meal

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

al-azad posted:

foolishly left all the seeds in the chilis

al-azad posted:

foolishly

:confused:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The upside of this extremely spicy curry is that I eat very slowly and very little. Great weight loss ideas.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

al-azad posted:

The upside of this extremely spicy curry is that I eat very slowly and very little. Great weight loss ideas.

For what it's worth, coconut milk, yogurt, or sour cream thrown in is a good way to reduce the spiciness. Lime or lemon works too. Though for that sort of curry, coconut milk or lime might be the best option. You can also just leave it overnight in your fridge and it'll mellow a bit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Being rich sounds fun

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213749842705861934

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

god you ever make a dinner that's so goddamn good you're like wtf, me? I did this? You see a vague concern in your family's eyes, like you shouldn't be capable of this level of flavor and yet, here they are, tasting it

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brawnfire posted:

god you ever make a dinner that's so goddamn good you're like wtf, me? I did this? You see a vague concern in your family's eyes, like you shouldn't be capable of this level of flavor and yet, here they are, tasting it

Usually when I’ve seen people claim this in the past, it’s over a picture of a polystyrene plate covered in beige with a hashtag “wifematerial”

What did you cook?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Occasionally, and I can almost never replicate it. Feels good when it happens though!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah. It's called Tuesday.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Usually when I’ve seen people claim this in the past, it’s over a picture of a polystyrene plate covered in beige with a hashtag “wifematerial”

What did you cook?

Not even anything that exciting! Simple rice pilaf, grilled chicken, and a mix of peppers/onions/sweet potatoes/charred corn. But drat I put love into every bit and it was super good, and the *kids* even ate their whole plate.

It's just when things turn out amazing instead of that weekday dinner drag, it's special.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

A baby ate my cooking and loved it. He kept pointing at it and waving his arm. Feeling very pleased with myself rn

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Yeah. It's called Tuesday.

Ha! Not all of us can be dino.

Made this the other day. Very easy and shockingly delicious. Had it with brown rice.

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/masala-roast-carrots-with-lentils

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brawnfire posted:

The first time I made mapo tofu, my husband took one bite, then waltzed me around the room singing "Heaven, I'm in Heaven". Never forgotten it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We had a similar-ish experience with a recent meal train. Most meals were tasty enough and much appreciated for giving us time back with our newborn, but we preferred our normal cooking.

Then a mom dropped off a meal where one bite was enough for us to go “Oh. Ohhhhhhh. That lady can cook.” It wasn’t anything extravagant, just chicken, rice, and green beans done exceedingly well. She’s the local curve buster for potlucks as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/saddest-food-goons/8/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I am absolutely loving gutted right now

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Occasionally I make a meal that's better than I expected yeah. Like one time I was making a birthday meal for my wife. She was hanging out at the lake with her parents so I just went back to their house to cook a lentil shepherd's pie and a cake. The lentils were beautiful, the mashed potatoes were perfect and rich, and the cake was amazing even though I forgot to mix in some of the dry ingredients. I was working for several hours to get it all done in time and I got back to the lake just in time for dinner, felt good.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

poor fucker. :eng99:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Brawnfire posted:

I had a stupid idea tonight for big Mac kimbap which is a)harder to say than it should be b)so so delicious.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hello GWS! I'm gag from the ancient kingdom of byob, you might remember me from when our spaceship crashed in your forum and we stole a lot of food from you guys

How's everyone doing? How's Flash Gordon Ramsay doing? Did anyone hear anything?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Goatse and Gallant posted:

Hello GWS! I'm gag from the ancient kingdom of byob, you might remember me from when our spaceship crashed in your forum and we stole a lot of food from you guys

How's everyone doing? How's Flash Gordon Ramsay doing? Did anyone hear anything?

Hi Gag! I used to rock up in the ‘yob like 15 years ago, a very chill time.

For recipes, I wanted to know if anybody had a fairly hands-off primer for yoghurt making, since moving to Kentucky the milk is abundant, cheap, and exceptionally good (plus my partner likes yoghurt and why not make it at home?).

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Consider coming back!! Or we'll just bring our traveling thread to you, then you won't have a choice :haibrower:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

bloody ghost titty posted:

Hi Gag! I used to rock up in the ‘yob like 15 years ago, a very chill time.

For recipes, I wanted to know if anybody had a fairly hands-off primer for yoghurt making, since moving to Kentucky the milk is abundant, cheap, and exceptionally good (plus my partner likes yoghurt and why not make it at home?).

https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-yogurt
works perfectly every time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Horiatiki is a fruit salad. Tomato = fruit, cucumber = fruit, bell pepper = fruit. Fruit salad.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

No Wave posted:

Horiatiki is a fruit salad. Tomato = fruit, cucumber = fruit, bell pepper = fruit. Fruit salad.

You forgot olives :colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

This looks great, thanks. I might try that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1641855568959635463?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I....just....there are plant based wraps already. Why?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm happy that the vegans I know actually know how to cook. Bad cook vegan is the saddest thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I'm happy that the vegans I know actually know how to cook. Bad cook vegan is the saddest thing.

I don’t know any, online or off. :haw:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This is neither edible nor tasteful. This is neither appetizing or clever. All indications, in point of fact, conclude that this thing, whatever it is, is an abomination. :barf:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let's play vegan food or Cthulhu mythos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hi, is this place still A Thing? Been a while, how is everyone on this side of the apocalypse?