Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

What is the general consensus regarding the Chinese-Russian relationship in this war? Any indications as to what degree China will enable Russia? I understand there was a summit recently but I am absolutely not caught up with the news for personal reasons.

Russia will become a resource colony for China and a captive market for Chinese exports due to all the sanctions. Basically a junior partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

One sad lesson of this war is to never ever agree to nuclear disarmament under any circumstances.

My school had a politics day when I was like 17 and I remember being scoffed at by (IIRC) a speaker from the local Greens over the nuclear deterrent - 'do you really think anyone would ever try to invade us?'

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

One sad lesson of this war is to never ever agree to nuclear disarmament under any circumstances.

My school had a politics day when I was like 17 and I remember being scoffed at by (IIRC) a speaker from the local Greens over the nuclear deterrent - 'do you really think anyone would ever try to invade us?'

I am told that this is Different and that obviously Russia would never try to invade any countries beyond Ukraine and thinking otherwise is being deliberately obtuse.

Mostly from the same people that said as of February last year obviously Russia would never try to invade Ukraine more broadly.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't want bad things to happen, so therefore they cannot, and thinking otherwise is folly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

I am told that this is Different and that obviously Russia would never try to invade any countries beyond Ukraine and thinking otherwise is being deliberately obtuse.

Mostly from the same people that said as of February last year obviously Russia would never try to invade Ukraine more broadly.
They're right in that everyone else is already in NATO and/or EU *

*offer doesn't apply to Moldova, sorry

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NATO is cheating as it's essentially the promise of US nukes

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Are you basing this on the myth that the USA made a security guarantee to Ukraine in the Budapest Memorandum?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They're right in that everyone else is already in NATO and/or EU *

*offer doesn't apply to Moldova, sorry

Moldova is likely to he absorbed into Romania and become a member of both

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1640036537436889088

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

the holy poopacy posted:

I wonder why these kinds of people never realize they're on a massive streak of entirely wrong predictions and don't step back to reevaluate things

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Name changed to Greater Transnistria. :monocle:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Deki posted:

I wonder why these kinds of people never realize they're on a massive streak of entirely wrong predictions and don't step back to reevaluate things

I think many of them do realize it, but they're not saying these things to inform anyone with accurate predictions but rather to influence public opinion in favor of the side they've chosen or simply saving face.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 26, 2023

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Lmao, is that really James Vasquez?

https://twitter.com/FightHaven/status/1639975487572414465?s=20

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

EU membership comes with mutual defense provisions. Seems like that would be the most straightforward way of making the invasion isn't repeated without immediately giving the various tankies the "but NATO expansion :qq:" talking point. It's also already in progress: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/articles/2023/03/13/7157854/

Well yes and no. The EU membership defense provisions are very vague and can mean absolutely nothing useful, compared to being a member of NATO. The wording of the text means that every member has to provide something; it can be five armored divisions, but it can be a container of pre-owned skiis, since there is no definition of what it needs to be and Macron might get one of his "Putin needs a dignified out"-moments when the decision needs to be made. Or Germany does that "lets stall out the process and see if the Russians just run them over, so that an angry letter will suffice" act they did with Ukraine.

Its not a coincident that Finland and Sweden, previously only covered by the EU defense promises decided to go for full NATO membership. UK isn't part of EU anymore, France and Germany made themselves look untrustworthy partners for national security by dragging their feet on an obvious security concern. Against Russia, you definitely need something better than that vague "EU security guarantee", but if that's the best you can get short-term, then that's the one you need to get.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Tiny Timbs posted:

fwiw one of the people doing this was permabanned for buying themselves death threat and transphobic avatars and trying to pin it on other people

I won’t say anything more to preserve the sanctity of this thread, but KM moments should not go to waste

drat really expected the person making fun of the holodomor to be better than this. Who would have thought that a genocide denier would also stoop so low as to buy themselves mean avatars and make up liest to own their posting enemies

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Pathetic ukonazi propaganda. This old lady probably isn't even sad!
https://youtu.be/GzELCDtufUA

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
nato rules! suck my dick!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also, as has been repeatedly pointed out.

In no real sense did Ukraine ever have Nuclear weapons.

Yes, they were based on their territory.

Under Russian officers, guarded by Russia loyal troops, with the permissive action links to fire them only known to Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, but now that they put nukes in Belarus, there should be no problem stationing some in Ukraine too, IMO

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

nato rules! suck my dick!

:yeah:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, but now that they put nukes in Belarus, there should be no problem stationing some in Ukraine too, IMO

I think somebody already mentioned it, but the best part of all the BUT NATO COULD PUT NOOOKS FURTHER EAST nonsense w/r/t Ukraine having good relations with or joining NATO is that Russia already stations nukes in Kaliningrad. Right in the middle of a bunch of NATO states. For no practical reason, just to dickwave.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

These guys best be planning to move to a windowless bungalow at the bottom of a valley real soon.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

I don't know if it's him, but that video is pretty old iirc. I saw it (saying it was Vasquez) when he started making noise on twitter at the beginning of the war so it must been recorded pre war (unless the idiot did it again which wouldn't surprise me).

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

spankmeister posted:

I doubt this. A lot of people expected that would happen when the Soviet Union broke up. Seems unlikely that it would happen after more than 30 years of independence if it didn't then.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Moldova did just change their official language back to Romanian from Moldovian, as the Moldovian language was basically invented by the Soviet occupiers. Either way, as long as their weird Russian-libertarian breakaway region exists (which Russia was trying to connect to by taking Odessa), nobody is going to want to touch them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

I doubt this. A lot of people expected that would happen when the Soviet Union broke up. Seems unlikely that it would happen after more than 30 years of independence if it didn't then.
Give it 5-10 years it'll happen. It depends on how the transnistria situation is resolved.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HonorableTB posted:

The only thing that comes close to Brexit in terms of national self ownage is the US electing Donald J Trump

russia failing to leverage their puppet trump is a self own in itself so it all comes back to russia

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Deptfordx posted:

Also, as has been repeatedly pointed out.

In no real sense did Ukraine ever have Nuclear weapons.

Yes, they were based on their territory.

Under Russian officers, guarded by Russia loyal troops, with the permissive action links to fire them only known to Russia.
I mean this is entirely wrong. The Soviet troops guarding them were... no longer Soviet, and the new Ukrainian government found itself in physical possession of a shitload of warheads.

Not having a bunch of launch or pal codes is irrelevant. It wouldn't have taken more then a month or two to completely replace the C&C if they'd wanted to spend a bunch of money becoming a nuclear power.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

RDM posted:

I mean this is entirely wrong. The Soviet troops guarding them were... no longer Soviet, and the new Ukrainian government found itself in physical possession of a shitload of warheads.

Not having a bunch of launch or pal codes is irrelevant. It wouldn't have taken more then a month or two to completely replace the C&C if they'd wanted to spend a bunch of money becoming a nuclear power.

And...Quite possibly the US would have handed them engineers or a new C&C system to ensure their safeness. Aswell as getting a hold of lots of Soviet engineering.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 26, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The US wouldn't have helped Ukraine become a nuclear pariah. Especially not in the midst of the largest geopolitical reconfiguration in half a century, when Americans were suddenly playing politics in Russia.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Parade season is coming up, that's probably what they're for.

marching band: "Wait a minute. This isn't Red Square!"

general: "nyet, it was a parade to Ukraine!"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The US wouldn't have helped Ukraine become a nuclear pariah. Especially not in the midst of the largest geopolitical reconfiguration in half a century, when Americans were suddenly playing politics in Russia.

Is Pakistan a nuclear Pariah? Israel? North Korea is pretty much the only example and they were already solidly a pariah state before possession of nuclear weapons.

They weren't an NPT signatory at the time, so there was really no treaty restricting them from having the nukes they inherited (and had everything but the strictest definition of control over) and, as you say, nobody was looking to make a bunch of waves in the wake of the USSR's dissolution. It would have been a fantastic time for all parties involved to look the other way and find reasons to move on.

But yeah, I agree, the US would not have directly assisted with the modification of Soviet nukes on Ukraine's behalf.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And...Quite possibly the US would have handed them engineers or a new C&C system to ensure their safeness. Aswell as getting a hold of lots of Soviet engineering.

Uh, that's pretty much the opposite of US policy at the time, which was focused on avoiding the dangers of a nuclear civil war.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Russian Telegram Propaganda on Putin's television appearance: It's on!

quote:

The Russian side has something to respond to the transfer of shells with depleted uranium - hundreds of thousands of them are at the disposal of the RF Armed Forces.

they are just out of frame, radiating too

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1640082838241304577
Seems Rustam Muradov got sacked.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This is like arguing the US should have intervened when Nazi Germany invaded France. It doesn't matter if that kind of intervention would have been beneficial in retrospect, it wasn't a possibility at the time.

Edit: Referring to Ukraine nukes chat if that wasn't obvious

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

EasilyConfused posted:

This is like arguing the US should have intervened when Nazi Germany invaded France. It doesn't matter if that kind of intervention would have been beneficial in retrospect, it wasn't a possibility at the time.

Oh, I agree, it'd never have happened. This would have to be a parallel universe where everyone involved was operating under entirely different reasoning or gazing into crystal balls.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't think that's true, it was absolutely possible for Ukraine to keep their nukes. They chose not to for a bunch of good reasons. They could have chosen differently. They didn't need western help to maintain or modify weapons, and iirc it was mostly western economic incentives that got them to agree to the Budapest Memorandum.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RDM posted:

I don't think that's true, it was absolutely possible for Ukraine to keep their nukes. They chose not to for a bunch of good reasons. They could have chosen differently. They didn't need western help to maintain or modify weapons, and iirc it was mostly western economic incentives that got them to agree to the Budapest Memorandum.

I'm referring to the idea of the US assisting them in keeping the nukes.

Whether Ukrainian leadership ever seriously considered keeping the nukes I don't know, but I'm skeptical given their disastrous economic conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm referring to the idea of the US assisting them in keeping the nukes.

Whether Ukrainian leadership ever seriously considered keeping the nukes I don't know, but I'm skeptical given their disastrous economic conditions.
My recollection is that there was public support for retaining them in Ukraine and it took a lot to get their government to agree to give them up. Hell, a bunch of the delivery systems were Ukrainian engineered and built.

It definitely wasn't a thing that had to happen, it could have gone the other way. Wouldn't be the first time a government chose weapons over economic development.