Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

listen to Zeke Hausfather, a contributing author to the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and climate research lead at the payments company Stripe, and former chief scientist at C3.ai, which provides over 40 turnkey Enterprise AI applications that meet the business-critical needs of global enterprises in manufacturing, financial services, government, utilities, oil and gas, chemicals, agribusiness, defense and intelligence, and more.
:shepface:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that out of the thousands of IPCC contributing authors, WaPo picked him to talk to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RandomBlue posted:

individual action for an hour will surely save us

someone is doing something!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Harold Fjord posted:

If we use less electricity bitcoin farmers crank it up. We're hopelessly trapped. There will always be profit to be made.

The rate of profit will continue to fall!!!.......until it doesn't :unsmigghh:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

cat botherer posted:

:shepface:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that out of the thousands of IPCC contributing authors, WaPo picked him to talk to.

Yeah probably, why are you so paranoid?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Harold Fjord posted:

If we use less electricity bitcoin farmers crank it up. We're hopelessly trapped. There will always be profit to be made.

pretty ingenious that as wealth creation and the necessities of life began to stop requiring as much energy use through innovation we devised a new thing that required maximum continual energy use

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

blatman posted:

theres a bunch of smaller similar groups all over the place too that are less blatant but ya that fuckin owned

what in the gently caress

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

it’s called direct action. do you want to watch or do you want to do something?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

oh man you're just now seeing that for the first time??? lucky

normally i hate contemporary "everything is an op" posting that's taken over twitter/forums ever since gladio became an internet meme, but ER is absolutely one

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
ER not being an op is almost too stupid to contemplate.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

It can make sense in a society with dumbass liberals

They need something to pretend to care about but aren't actually going to look into it too hard or worry about it. It's basically a bike or hiking club for politics obsessed people so they just go around doing useless poo poo to make themselves feel better

Painting your hands red and turning yourselves in fits with a West Wing view of the world where you get to deliver a Sorkin monologue to the boss of the cops or something

it's definitely an op though because even if it was started earnestly the people in power are stupid enough to be worried about it and probably spent hundreds of millions on sabotaging an already useless organization

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

i mean that's the cool part of our current society: i could completely believe ER isn't an intentional op, and just the outcome of structures, organizations, and our culture that op-ifies anything vaguely threatening.

like even if there's no puppet master pulling the strings, the puppets dance all the same of their own free will.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They received funding from a guy who has a stake in Heathrow.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

They received funding from a guy who has a stake in Heathrow.

an op in plane sight ...

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's definitely funnier to imagine them as just well-meaning idiots :unsmith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I woke up from a nap at 9PM and then turned all my lights and laptop on. Accidentally did my part for half of it :unsmith:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Stereotype posted:

pretty ingenious that as wealth creation and the necessities of life began to stop requiring as much energy use through innovation we devised a new thing that required maximum continual energy use

“we” is not “capitalism”

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
not surprised of this idiotic take looking at his haircut/bread combo

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1639216984062836736

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Trabisnikof posted:

like even if there's no puppet master pulling the strings, the puppets dance all the same of their own free will.

It's all we know or can imagine, the absence of all this is unthinkable. Unacceptable. We will cling to it and wail.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hubbert posted:

an op in plane sight ...

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stereotype posted:

NASA Goddard Institute, has said that while humans probably won’t go extinct

With the bone and sinew of dead gods we are ripping hell from it's moors and bringing it to us. We probably won't go extinct though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I always love the "we probably wont go extinct" and im like probably not. we managed to survive a probable population bottleneck of like 10k when when of the super volcanos popped. But humans struggled for tens of thousands of years after. PROBABLY WASNT A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

We'll be down to 10k and still have to drive to the office for some reason

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I woke up from a nap at 9PM and then turned all my lights and laptop on. Accidentally did my part for half of it :unsmith:

thank you for trying :unsmith:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Crazypoops posted:

We'll be down to 10k and still have to drive to the office for some reason

Being in the same physical space can make it easier to communicate and build strong working relationships. Being in the office helps employees stay focused and engaged with their tasks. You do want to build strong relationships, right? You do want to stay focused and engaged with your tasks? Regular face-to-face interactions can contribute to a sense of belonging, which can positively impact overall job satisfaction. Maybe you doomers would be less obsessed over the sky catching on fire, the end of wild life, broad desertification of the earth and the enormous amounts of recent human death if you reserved a hot desk, drove into the office for once and enjoyed a little collaboration, camaraderie and community. You're required to begin this starting 4 days a week next week. You cannot wfh on Mondays or Fridays. Thank you for understanding, and I look forward to seeing your bright smile in the office!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
"we are literally dying of starvation"
"File that report or I will fire you"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

taking a bite out of some smoked rat meat in-between doing tps reports

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

silicone thrills posted:

I always love the "we probably wont go extinct" and im like probably not. we managed to survive a probable population bottleneck of like 10k when when of the super volcanos popped. But humans struggled for tens of thousands of years after. PROBABLY WASNT A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE

Good news! 99.99999875% of people won't be

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Spain is 30C and on fire in March

https://i.imgur.com/R0KhdTB.mp4

I'm sure the summer will be nice this year.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

there it is, again!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

Also the natural world wasn't adulterated with forever chemicals and microplastics that reduce fertility

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Neighbour told us he'd be thinking about us in the cold and rain just before buggering off to Spain three weeks ago. I hope wherever he is he's downwind of this mess.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
the younger dryas bottleneck is going to look like a wet fart compared to the anthropocene mass extinction event lmao. we're doing so much better than that comet or watever.

we're gonna go from 10 billion living humans to zero living humans at speeds that will seem implausible to xenoarcheologists.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

gently caress i just got done studying fires in chile

if y'all haven't heard about the chilean ones, it was over 450,000 hectares. In terms of proportion to total country land area, it'd be the same as if grand canyon national park burned down in the states

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

WaryWarren posted:

not surprised of this idiotic take looking at his haircut/bread combo

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1639216984062836736

is toxic positivity a term? it should be one

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol Josh no one cares

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Popoto posted:

is toxic positivity a term? it should be one

toxic optimism is. never heard toxic positivity.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I've heard both

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

"We probably won't go extinct" is such a depressingly low bar to begin with lol. The fact that it's even on the table as a "probably" is bad already!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
terminal optimism is better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm incredibly optimistic that we still have a few solid years left of content