Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The whole EVOL=LOVE thing is one of those "twists" that is really obvious but at the same time the exact sort of cornball thing that many of the genre's best moments are built off of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I found the original aquarion mostly kind of boring but evol was absurd enough for me to fondly recall watching it

That being said I have not seen the show in the better part of decade

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I found the original aquarion mostly kind of boring but evol was absurd enough for me to fondly recall watching it

I remember this also being my thought at the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

I honestly agree. Aquarion has by far the more likable/stronger main love...triangle? quadrangle?, but the show takes itself a little too seriously for the premise most of the time and the side cast mostly ranges from "so boring you forget they exist" to "sucks"(why did they have an entire episode dedicated to pierre getting addicted to orgasms???).

EVOL flips the script by having a horribly boring main pairing but the side cast is a lot more memorable and likable and the show is a lot...goofier, most of the time. It doesn't take itself very seriously and just kind of leans into being kind of melodramatic-absurd in a way that I found pretty charming, summed up pretty well by the show's very name as drrockso points out.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 21, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Aquarian is a fun enough show, but when Glen "returns" in a later episode as a weird angel-human science hybrid who pilots an MP Aquarian, I immediately thought "this is so much more interesting than anything going on with the main cast."

I don't think I've ever heard of Logos before now. What's up with that one?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schwarzwald posted:

Aquarian is a fun enough show, but when Glen "returns" in a later episode as a weird angel-human science hybrid who pilots an MP Aquarian, I immediately thought "this is so much more interesting than anything going on with the main cast."

I don't think I've ever heard of Logos before now. What's up with that one?

It's about how literacy is good because if you can't read you might believe your one true love hated you and become a vindictive evil ghost lady who wants to end the world. Also wordplay based on Kanji radicals.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

It's about how literacy is good because if you can't read you might believe your one true love hated you and become a vindictive evil ghost lady who wants to end the world. Also wordplay based on Kanji radicals.

Wuthering Heights?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is one thing i think we can all agree on: mugen punch is totally fuckin' rad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like when the punch circumnavigated the globe and demolished the wall separating boys from girls, to which the school principal announced that love is outlawed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Wuthering Heights?

No, that's focused on Hiragana wordplay.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Macross Zero takes? That has fallen off my to-watch list over the years, and now I'm curious again.

Also, F looks more up my alley than Delta, so figured I might just end it at F. Is that a good place to leave off the story?

And what's the Getter Robo Arc takes on here? I recall some goodwill when it came out, but maybe lower expectations for it because of budget etc?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS4deYM7WXA

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I really like Frontier and the pilot episode of Delta is fantastic. Unfortunately, pretty much the entire production crew changed when they made the series and they dropped the ball.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Delta's great, but a lot of people don't like it. Macross isn't one whole story so you're not missing out on the next chapter by not watching it if it doesn't interest you. I'd recommend giving the Delta movies a shot, they're sharper and 2 movies is less of a time commitment than a show.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I wanna watch it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Heavy Metal posted:

And what's the Getter Robo Arc takes on here? I recall some goodwill when it came out, but maybe lower expectations for it because of budget etc?

Since other people have given takes on Macross, here's my take on Getter Robo Arc: it is an amazing adaptation. The show not only flawlessly adapts the two volumes of the manga, it also pulls in basically everything else Getter Robo. They bring in all the remaining characters in ways that make sense and further the story, they expand and explore tons of the material in ways that feel appropriate to the original story, they bring in and integrate previously unadapted chapters from other parts of the original manga to provide context and further meaning to all the stuff that happens, and they actually progress the story further than the massive, unsatisfying, flash forward cliffhanger the original manga has!

It's also ugly as sin, is transparently held back by its budget, weirdly paced, likely pretty opaque to a complete newcomer, has some wonky character bits, doesn't quite cash all of its checks, isn't nearly as cool as it sounds on paper, fails to take a shot at answering some of the really big questions Ishikawa left us with, and still ends on a massive, flash forward cliffhanger. At the very least that particular cliffhanger feels way more justified and honestly satisfying than the manga's version, and I totally believe the original author might have chosen to end it where the anime does.

It is absolutely Getter Robo, warts and all. And it is still one of the most impressive and ambitious adaptations of anything I think I've ever seen, even with a crummy budget and the bad CG. It is probably the definitive version of Getter Robo's final chapter, with everything that entails for good or ill. I probably wouldn't rank particularly highly on any quasi-objective metric, but if you are in the least bit a Getter Robo fan I really do encourage watching it to see for yourself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Macross Zero takes? That has fallen off my to-watch list over the years, and now I'm curious again.

It's not great. The MC is boring as hell, and his triangle is nonsensical. Including a 13 year old girl with a crush on him and her sister whose an actual match for the man. The interesting part of the show is seeing Roy again, but it's that Marvel level of gaining joy from knowing who the person is rather than what they're actually doing. That is to say his actions contained within Zero are not at all interesting nor is his own rivalry. The rest of the show is a lot of answering questions people didn't ask and didn't particularly want to know even if they had. Despite being an OVA the CGI fights manage to look worse than the TV version of Frontier.

It's not a very good series by itself, and is still middling when connected onto the franchise. But it's like six episodes, might as well watch it.

Frontier is the only Macross that reaches the heights of the OG series, the movies are a little reduced, but they switch enough stuff up that you can watch them in serial and still be entertained.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks folks. I've gotta up my mecha intake.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not great. The MC is boring as hell, and his triangle is nonsensical. Including a 13 year old girl with a crush on him and her sister whose an actual match for the man. The interesting part of the show is seeing Roy again, but it's that Marvel level of gaining joy from knowing who the person is rather than what they're actually doing. That is to say his actions contained within Zero are not at all interesting nor is his own rivalry. The rest of the show is a lot of answering questions people didn't ask and didn't particularly want to know even if they had. Despite being an OVA the CGI fights manage to look worse than the TV version of Frontier.

It's not a very good series by itself, and is still middling when connected onto the franchise. But it's like six episodes, might as well watch it.

Frontier is the only Macross that reaches the heights of the OG series, the movies are a little reduced, but they switch enough stuff up that you can watch them in serial and still be entertained.

No love for Plus?

I'm not surprised, exactly, given that your takes on things tend to be (and I hope this comes across in the spirit intended) pretty distinct, but it's interesting to see it placed below Frontier.

I'll only speak for myself on this one, but I was very impressed with it. Strong core character relationships, gorgeous animation, excellent soundtrack, and even the dub was much better than the average when it was released.

Then again, I think most of the people in this thread have long since formed their own opinions on Plus, since it's one of the standards (short, widely available, fewer narrative barriers for non-anime fans). Means there's been a lot of ground covered already.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

Also, F looks more up my alley than Delta, so figured I might just end it at F. Is that a good place to leave off the story?

Zero is okay, but it's elevated after the fact by Frontier giving it additional context and that you can just watch the whole thing at whatever pace you prefer - at the time it came out it suffered kind of badly from it's long release schedule of one episode every six months, it arguably didn't really stick it's landing well enough to justify what an investment in time it was. Also on an aesthetic level Frontier just has a much better handle on how to use CG animation, Zero's kind of a test run where they were still figuring things out.

You could end at Frontier if you really wanted since (not a spoiler) most Macross series end in similar ways, they don't sequel hook or end on to-be-continued type resolutions, they usually close up their self contained stories and future entries will always catch you up on anything you need to know should they eventuate. But I tend to think of Delta as just a not as good Frontier thing rather than something to be actively avoided. The movie version improved a bunch of the issues I had with the series but I hesitate to say just watch those instead, since it's hard to know how how much of the better came through comparison, I can't really know how they stand alone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chiasaur11 posted:

No love for Plus?

I'm not surprised, exactly, given that your takes on things tend to be (and I hope this comes across in the spirit intended) pretty distinct, but it's interesting to see it placed below Frontier.

I'll only speak for myself on this one, but I was very impressed with it. Strong core character relationships, gorgeous animation, excellent soundtrack, and even the dub was much better than the average when it was released.

Then again, I think most of the people in this thread have long since formed their own opinions on Plus, since it's one of the standards (short, widely available, fewer narrative barriers for non-anime fans). Means there's been a lot of ground covered already.
I feel like it's really hard to judge Plus on the same rubric as the other Macross series. I love Plus, it's just very much not the same even if it has similarities.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

No love for Plus?

I love plus, but in a more generalized sense of love. I could say that I love Goldfinger and also I love Last Year at Marienbad, but I certainly don't love them in the same way. Goldfinger is being judged against the Bond rubric and the general Spy Thriller bracket. The reasons I like Plus have very little to do with anything specifically Macross.

It might have the planes and triangles, but the most distinct part of the Macross formula is the tug of war between opposing systems of values. In the obvious forms e.g. Zentradi and Human, but also in the Civilian vs. Military distinction that pervades both the original series and 7; F as well although they kind of slip it a little by making Alto a psuedosoldier, but the very direct change in tone when the SMS get rolled into the defense force should make it clear the distinction is still there.

The Love Triangles should be an emanation of the pull between the different systems as it is with the Civilian Lynn Minmay and Military Misa, or the Military Gamlin and Civilian Basara; F goes a bit different by having Ranka being Frontierpilled and Sheryl being Galaxybrained.

I note this because Plus doesn't really have that, there's no mutual reaction between the human and the AI, and even if there's some it lacks the punch that Human Zentradi relations, or even with the Protodevelin or Vajra. And Ghost in the Shell is right there... The triangle itself doesn't really have an interesting foundation in the grander sense, it's firmly rooted in the younger experiences of the principals rather than evoking any sort of grander meaning. A Macross series should be sweeping and dramatic utilizing capital B big ideas and concepts; Plus is just three friends getting over their shared tragic past. The AI popstar and drones are just set dressing. You can make a version of Plus that hits all the emotional notes without any of the tech, Linklater basically did, it's called Tape I don't like it watch the Before Trilogy instead. You cannot make F,7, or Macross without bringing in the Macross elements because of how intrinsic they are to the story.

So I would rank Frontier higher just in terms of Macrossness.
However I would also rank it higher than Plus in general because it's got a bunch of interesting world building, better music (sorry idol talk, I still love you), and more interesting characters; specifically Sheryl and Alto are both psychologically compelling. Alto especially probably deserves a in depth look of what makes the lad tick, and he certainly didn't get that at the time; being as he was pretty summarily dismissed for being a pretty boy and being made something of a joke for his TV ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I love plus, but in a more generalized sense of love. I could say that I love Goldfinger and also I love Last Year at Marienbad, but I certainly don't love them in the same way. Goldfinger is being judged against the Bond rubric and the general Spy Thriller bracket. The reasons I like Plus have very little to do with anything specifically Macross.

It might have the planes and triangles, but the most distinct part of the Macross formula is the tug of war between opposing systems of values. In the obvious forms e.g. Zentradi and Human, but also in the Civilian vs. Military distinction that pervades both the original series and 7; F as well although they kind of slip it a little by making Alto a psuedosoldier, but the very direct change in tone when the SMS get rolled into the defense force should make it clear the distinction is still there.

The Love Triangles should be an emanation of the pull between the different systems as it is with the Civilian Lynn Minmay and Military Misa, or the Military Gamlin and Civilian Basara; F goes a bit different by having Ranka being Frontierpilled and Sheryl being Galaxybrained.

I note this because Plus doesn't really have that, there's no mutual reaction between the human and the AI, and even if there's some it lacks the punch that Human Zentradi relations, or even with the Protodevelin or Vajra. And Ghost in the Shell is right there... The triangle itself doesn't really have an interesting foundation in the grander sense, it's firmly rooted in the younger experiences of the principals rather than evoking any sort of grander meaning. A Macross series should be sweeping and dramatic utilizing capital B big ideas and concepts; Plus is just three friends getting over their shared tragic past. The AI popstar and drones are just set dressing. You can make a version of Plus that hits all the emotional notes without any of the tech, Linklater basically did, it's called Tape I don't like it watch the Before Trilogy instead. You cannot make F,7, or Macross without bringing in the Macross elements because of how intrinsic they are to the story.

So I would rank Frontier higher just in terms of Macrossness.
However I would also rank it higher than Plus in general because it's got a bunch of interesting world building, better music (sorry idol talk, I still love you), and more interesting characters; specifically Sheryl and Alto are both psychologically compelling. Alto especially probably deserves a in depth look of what makes the lad tick, and he certainly didn't get that at the time; being as he was pretty summarily dismissed for being a pretty boy and being made something of a joke for his TV ending.

Thanks.

I was kind of hoping you'd elaborate on it, because even when I totally disagree with you, there's a lot of interesting texture to the disagreement. I think I understand a lot better now.

Sounds like (in addition to matters of general taste) there's a lot of Macross themes that Plus doesn't do much with, while Frontier goes into them full force, which means that even if they were both the same level of quality, Frontier would be the better Macross. Do I understand your position correctly?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus is better treated as a Watanabe show set in Macross than a Macross show. Thematically it is way more in line with his later works alongside Keiko Nobumoto.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Seemlar posted:

Also on an aesthetic level Frontier just has a much better handle on how to use CG animation, Zero's kind of a test run where they were still figuring things out.

The Blu-Rays of Zero are gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous.

The problem I have with Delta is that the main characters finish their arcs in about four episodes. They're both where they want to be, doing what they want to do. In Frontier, Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka are all still figuring their poo poo out at the end of the series. That character journey is what really elevates Frontier for me, these are real people with real issues and they're handling their responsibilities while dealing with their hangups. My favorite scene in the show is Alto and Sheryl just making dinner and sitting down to eat together. Considering where they each came from, that meal, and every other one they shared, is an absolute triumph. Think about it, when would Sheryl or Alto have ever been taught to cook a meal? They figured it out together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Heavy Metal posted:

I'll offer a counter take on Macross Zero because while it's not my favorite show by any means, I did actually enjoy it. I enjoyed Shin's character, for a start. He has a very simple arc, but it's a 6 episode OVA so that's kind of unavoidabe. He starts out as a guy who refuses to rely on others, and doesn't even show any consideration for squadmates in combat, endangering them but unconcerned for their safety as well as confident his own skill is all he needs to survive and if others want to survive, they should git gud. Then he is shot down, his copilot is killed in the crash and he has to confront his own mortality while at the same time coming into contact with a new and completely different lifestyle to the war he's grown so used to shutting himself down emotionally to survive. So he has to open up and learn to work with others to get back. And he does. It's not complex or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah, the fact the prepubescent sister of the actual love interest being presented as part of the requisite love triangle is kind of weird, but at the same time, it's clear that what she has is purely puppy love and that Shin at no point considers her an actual love interest. A thing to remember about Macross in general is that Kawamori has stated he has no interest in love triangles generally, but sponsors demand them every time there's a new Macross because it was so integral to the success of the original show, so he always has to put in something that the marketing can use. The original show is the only one where it's actually played as a straight love triangle where the protagonist was torn between the two choices though; Basara doesn't care about romance generally so regardless of whether you think Basara or Mylene is the center of the triangle, the actual romance options are still limited, Alto only ever treats Ranka as a little sister etc.

Mao's infatuation with Shin is thematically appropriate too, because it symbolizes the danger of cultural destruction through attraction to the outside that Sara and the island elder fear regardless of any actual intent. And ties that theme to Sara on a personal level while allowing Shin to bond with Sara by bonding with Mao. I can certainly see an argument that Mao didn't need to be so young, but also that making her young emphasizes the innocence of the Islanders and the tragedy of the loss of culture. The age thing is fine as is though in reality, because as stated, the show itself never tried to treat her as an actual romantic possiblity.

I like Shin and Sara's relationship too. It has a couple of cute and funny moments due to their differences, like him threatening her with a stick in the first episode only to find out it's basically a sign of attraction for cultural reasons he didn't know, or him making a goofy fool of himself singing to save her at one point. The show does raise some more serious points about how the clash of culture is inevitably going to result in the destruction of the Mayan culture because the convenience and power of the outside as above, and I wish it did more with that, but it at least makes for a nice backdrop for the story.

I really enjoy the fight animation and choreography too personally. I think you do yourself a disservice by not at least watching the opening of Shin and his squad in regular rear end F-14s going up against a variable fighter, even if you watch no more of Zero. There's some neat choreography, and one thing I think Macross Zero did better than even contemporary shows is depict the sky as an environment because the clouds are a constant factor and have...I don't know, weight or presence to them? They feel like an important and distinct element, especially in that opening scene.

I agree that Roy's presence feels very perfunctory and shallow, and the story wraps up kind of a confusing mess but I like it regardless because of the simple but effective characters and plot along with the action and nice, early 3D art in the fights.

Ardeem posted:

I really like Frontier and the pilot episode of Delta is fantastic. Unfortunately, pretty much the entire production crew changed when they made the series and they dropped the ball.

Really? This is the first I've ever heard about staff changes, and honestly explains a lot because Macross Delta has the strongest pilot episode in the franchise in my opinion, but I found the show itself to be mostly kind of boring. It abandoned basically everything interesting setup in the first episode, and even defining character traits like the Immelman Dance barely featured outside of it. How extensive were the staff changes, do you know?

chiasaur11 posted:

No love for Plus?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not particularly a fan of Macross Plus because it comes off kind of pretentious to me. It sets itself up as having a very adult, serious story about these 3 friends having drifted apart due to some traumatic event in their past, and how each of their dreams is becoming obsolete due to the march of technology and does a really good job at setting all of it up, but the resolution is really superficial. It not only offers no meaningful answer to any of the questions it has raised, but pisses all over the trauma it has established at the same time. Myung was nearly raped, and has lost any interest in singing because she didn't have a great stage presence and now an AI has become a wildly popular singing sensation despite Myung writing her songs; Guld was so horrified by his own actions in nearly raping Myung that he offloads the guilt onto hating his best friend, and now AI is threatening to supplant his role as a pilot and make him obsolete; Isamu is just a happy go lucky dude who enjoys life as much as he can by living in the moment, but it's made his life transient and devoid of any love. So what's the solution to all of their problems? Don't worry about it, essentially.

Guld nearly raped Myung, then blamed Isamu and nearly killed him out of rage? Hahah, remember that I time I stole your lunch in school or some poo poo? Those are equivalent, right? What should a human do when an AI is better at the things they love in every real way? Eh, just do it and you'll be fine. Magic will take care of it, or something. Never mind that the message being "just do what you love for it's own sake regardless of success" seems kind of hollow when directly contradicted by Isamu doing what he loves for it's own sake, and his character being defined by how superficial his life is.

I presume that the movie wanted to have a message that you shouldn't let the past define you, that just because you did something wrong that it shouldn't destroy your life or your relationships, but at the same time it's directly equating rape and attempted murder to literal school day pranks. Similarly, I assume the film wanted to have a message that it doesn't matter about success, that you should follow your passions because they're your passions rather than for success and that even if an AI or something is making you obsolete, that's no reason not to love doing that thing regardless. However, even putting aside how superficial Isamu's life is presented as being despite never having held onto any hate for Guld and just flying for it's own sake, the resolution of a human going up against an AI is (1) Guld having to kill himself to match an AI, which, not a great message, and (2) Myung finally singing and Isamu magically hearing her and waking up, before destroying Sharon's core. Which, again, not a great message. A human can actually match or exceed an AI, but only if they're prepared to suicide and/or there's magic around.

The resolutions of the film are perfectly fine for simpler stories, or even most Macross stuff, because most Macross stuff doesn't take itself very seriously. It sucks as the resolution to Macross Plus though, because Plus was making an effort to set itself up as having adult themes and serious stakes and those resolutions offer no real answer to the questions or problems the movie raised. I'd even say they're kind of contradictory, if anything, because Isamu's passion is promoted as being good, but he has such a hollow life. Macross Plus is often compared to Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and while it's mostly because of the animation and test pilot focused story, I'd say it's a good comparison because good animation is about the only thing I find to recommend in either, personally.

mllaneza posted:

The Blu-Rays of Zero are gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous.

The problem I have with Delta is that the main characters finish their arcs in about four episodes. They're both where they want to be, doing what they want to do. In Frontier, Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka are all still figuring their poo poo out at the end of the series. That character journey is what really elevates Frontier for me, these are real people with real issues and they're handling their responsibilities while dealing with their hangups. My favorite scene in the show is Alto and Sheryl just making dinner and sitting down to eat together. Considering where they each came from, that meal, and every other one they shared, is an absolute triumph. Think about it, when would Sheryl or Alto have ever been taught to cook a meal? They figured it out together.

Alto lived on his own for some time because he had been disowned by his father for not wanting to be a Kabuki actor, so he almost certainly learned to cook just to feed himself prior to the events of the show at all. I love that scene, but I love it because it's such a good indication of how close they've become, of how honest they've learned to be with each other and how simple Sheryl's dreams are despite the grandness of her life in general.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 27, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm not sure Sharon was better at music than Myung, although she was certainly better at being a stage show than most people. (That poo poo still pops.)

As I recall they upgrade Sharon and that's when she goes rampant; previously she was ultimately a very grand vtuber persona for Myung, if with more bells and whistles.

At least that's what I got out of it: Sharon was a false face and technological wonder, and it would have probably all worked splendidly, except for the combination of encountering Isamu (and Myung having her pain awakened -- it didn't help that Isamu's geek rear end friend was hacking the box at the time) and whatever the hell Sharon's creators were trying to do. Even those creators did not seem to specifically be trying to get rid of Myung's music, but it's been a long time since I sat down and watched the whole thing, so corpo motives for putting chips into the hot lady singer computer are obscure in my memory.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 27, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Myung tried to have her own singing career at one point, and it went nowhere. It's why she's writing songs for Sharon now, and her friend tells Isamu that Myung refuses to sing; even at karaoke. Sharon probably only becomes outright dangerous after the chip installation (it's been years since I've seen it too), but she was always a painful presence for Myung, at once broadcasting her songs across the cosmos but also causing her to shut down and lose any remaining hope or interest in actually singing for herself.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love Macross Plus, been a long time, could do with a rewatch. The original series and DYRL are my favs, and I really enjoy 7, though only saw about half of it on HK DVDs (silly silly subs). Got me into Yoshiki Fukuyama's great music anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Turns on a dime, Macross Zero style!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

Macross Plus is often compared to Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and while it's mostly because of the animation and test pilot focused story, I'd say it's a good comparison because good animation is about the only thing I find to recommend in either, personally.

I find the older I get the less Plus' action covers for the fact I just really don't want to watch those characters at all. It's probably the only Macross that's diminished over time that way for me while everything else has stayed mostly stable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Thanks.

I was kind of hoping you'd elaborate on it, because even when I totally disagree with you, there's a lot of interesting texture to the disagreement. I think I understand a lot better now.

Sounds like (in addition to matters of general taste) there's a lot of Macross themes that Plus doesn't do much with, while Frontier goes into them full force, which means that even if they were both the same level of quality, Frontier would be the better Macross. Do I understand your position correctly?

Yeah. Having some manner of message or grand theming behind a work is what separates Great from Good in any medium of art.

It's why Gundam works by Tomino are superior to his successors and the ones that rate against him are deliberate in trying to engage with his philosophy. Imagawa and 00's director for example.

This should not be taken as saying that one must agree with the artist in question. Or more importantly that the Thing that they're saying or exploring has to be solved, definite, or in any manner terminated; or that there feelings and ideas can't change or evolve on the subject. They really probably should.

Victory Gundam and Turn A are basically the same series. A look at the abusive relationship that humans have with the Earth. And how that is reflected in the hostile, manipulative, and abusive way that men treat women. But, the method of thinking from Tomino himself has changed between the two series. The Victory women are idealized, but not realized. Turn A offers women who are more fully realized as human beings, however that tradeoff does come with losing some of the pure symbolic power inherent to dehumanization. Diana and Maria have very little separating them in their role in the story, but have a gulf of miles between that amount of agency, and thus character that is allowed to them. Thus I could say something to the effect that Maria is a mother figure that fills the gap in the hearts of the spacenoids for their true mother Earth, and that the violent male society she is a part of exploits her to begin a genocidal return to the Earth so they can exploit that as well. And people will entertain if not accept it. I could say that same exact passage about Diana and people would scoff. After all she's a person! She has a romance with Will Game and does the whole switchero thing, and generally gets into poo poo.

Before we get to digressed. Lets get back onto why this aside is here, it's that Tomino was so wrapped up in this kind of thinking that he returns to the well on it over and over. From MSG and it's transhumanist bent, to Zeta with it's fascist leanings of the Titans ecological plan being taken over by a false matriarchal messiah, to Victory and it's hard conflation with motherhood and earth, to Turn A and it's more balanced and less inflammatory reading on the thinking.

Now, we can see that it's interesting that someone like Tomino or Kawamori might keep coming back to the same themes. But why does that make a work more interesting? Or perhaps we should say Greater.

The first thing to remember is that all humans are capable of is remembering. There is no future, it doesn't exist. And the present is impossible to grasp, by the time you've tried to grab hold of it it's already gone. Watching something is just a small part of experiencing things. The mental connections drawn inside the mind do not cease upon the light reaching inside your eyes stopping. The memories, thoughts, and ideas that occur in your minds struggle to understand the medium you've just watched takes up vastly more time than the 20 minutes it takes to watch and episode. The artist takes up an idea, and distills it down into a medium fit for consumption. You can consider this a lens that the author is viewing the concept from, then when you view it you take in the view of the author. After that it's is up to your own mind to start applying your own lenses to the work, to refine your own understanding of what is being said, why it's being said, and how.

Take IBO for example, a series that I think you're slightly warm on. How much of your enjoyment from the series is from watching it; as in actually eyes to screen ears to speaker. And how much is it from the rumination, slowly digesting and refining your understanding. And even better if you've got other whose eyes and minds you can borrow for a moment. Having a series with depth gives you so much more to consider that you develop a much stronger and deeper appreciation for the work, even for works that you might not have had much fun with in the watching can take on new life in the intellectual and discussion phases. The term popcorn entertainment is very apt for the kind of flashy schlock that gets put out nowadays, it's nothing entertainment that goes down easy and is totally forgettable. It's a reason Marvel needs to keep you on the treadmill with releases and constant crossmarketing, the second people are tuned out for a moment the entire franchise fades into the aether. Having a franchise like Macross or Gundam that not only has depth, but has width; exploring the same concepts from varied angle gives you endless opportunities for rumination and thus enjoyment. And thus when you get series like Plus that don't engage with the grander themes, or AGE where the attempt at tackling a theme is to the quality of a kindergartner fingerpainting you end up with a series that even if it's Fun is not all that interesting or Great.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I recently rewatched PatLabour and I got a flashback from my youth. A beige humanoid robot, possibly with long beige/blonde hair, is hunted by the army. I think the robot wants to kill a woman but isn’t the terminator. It must be 80’s/90’s but I am having no luck finding the show or movie. Adtrw am I crazy?

Edit: the army had boxes that fired wires

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswyOm-DCKg, probably

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

That is it, thank you very much. I didn’t remember anything about “magic”

Edit: Black Magic Mario M-66. Doesn’t contain magic or Mario but is it a progressive anime for it’s respective portrayal of black people in 1987?

HAmbONE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2023

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
The first half of the manga takes place in the past on Venus I think and there is a lot of magic. Then it kinda transitions into robots getting loose. It's a weird series. One of Masamune Shirow's early works.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

Edit: Black Magic Mario M-66. Doesn’t contain magic or Mario but is it a progressive anime for it’s respective portrayal of black people in 1987?

I mean, that's the same year as Dragonar had one of its three protagonists be an African-American New Yorker, so how ahead of the curve it was depends on a lot of assessments I'm not in a position to make.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HAmbONE posted:

Considering how Shirow draws men in general I would not have high hopes for the design, but the character's narrative would be a crap shoot.

I'm not sure any anime treated black people well in that period. I suppose Macross and Great Mazinger had black female love interests?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Logh starts in 88 and has multiple black characters who are actual characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Considering how Shirow draws men in general I would not have high hopes for the design, but the character's narrative would be a crap shoot.

I'm not sure any anime treated black people well in that period. I suppose Macross and Great Mazinger had black female love interests?

As I said, Dragonar started in '87, and it had a black character as one of the three lead mech pilots. He was the easygoing guy, while the Japanese guy was the hot tempered idiot hero. He even got a romance arc, unlike the Brit.

Slightly earlier still, ZZ Gundam had an arc about racial tensions in Africa (which felt weirdly 20th century in their setup, considering how much the rest of the setting had changed by UC 079).

And if we're talking Shirow mecha, there's Barrios from Appleseed starting in '85, although it's hard to see by the time of the manga proper since, you know. Cyborg. (Deunan's mother is Sudanese, but adaptations tend to downplay that as part of her appearance.)