Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Does mister donut still exist in the US? I remember it being a thing in the 1980s. Then dunkin just seemed to take over

There is one remaining in Godfrey Illinois.
https://g.co/kgs/C9qzLf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PEAS

https://twitter.com/_benoliver7/status/1639622057775202304

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The only thing you need to know about British cuisine to understand why Indian food got so popular so fast.

And let's not even get to the gellied eels! I have no idea why the Brits keep voting them to government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mushy peas are nice though.

It's not even weird, lots of places make legume paste. What do you think hummus is?

Would absolutely eat that if it was like a sausage instead of a pie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The English must despise peas, they feel such a strong need to mash them into oblivion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a different kind of pea, they're left to mature and go starchy, we eat garden peas normally but marrowfats are better mashed.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

What the Hellmanns

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if Brits want yankees to accept mushy peas, they should just call it hummus. we love that poo poo, can't get enough of it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Most things are better with tahini.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

if Brits want yankees to accept mushy peas, they should just call it hummus. we love that poo poo, can't get enough of it.

Now that's the kind of peaness I want in my mouth!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scarodactyl posted:

Most things are better with tahini.

Even if it's just a tahini bit

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had some pretty good British pub feed.

Bangers and mash and such.

Not the most exciting food but good and filling. Though I do remember thinking it would be much better with a dash of something more spicy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Had a gorgeous bangers and mash a while ago on the moors, local game sausage, a yorkie, good onion gravy, absolutely delicious.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Mar 25, 2023

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now that's the kind of peaness I want in my mouth!

Can you taste the A-ness?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Zero_Grade posted:

What the Hellmanns

I've heard a number of people vouch for PB + mayo and culinarily I think I can understand why it would be a good combo, but I will never find out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've had some pretty good British pub feed.

Bangers and mash and such.

Not the most exciting food but good and filling. Though I do remember thinking it would be much better with a dash of something more spicy.

British pubs are the best thing about being a traveler in Britain, at any one (last time I was there) you can get a protein, a starch, some onions, and your choice of fresh or mushy peas, with a beer, for not much over 10 pounds. All the pies and sausages and whatnot aren't my favorite, but it's better food for at a better value then what you'd get at an Applebee's or whatever, and not overpriced and too fancy, or exclusively fried like US bars. If you're in the mood for something less bland there always seems to be a kebab spot or Indian joint within walking distance anyways.

I got enough of a taste for mushy peas that I got several pounds of imported marrowfat peas and I'll make them with a roast dinner every few months about. They're good for you! Absolutely loaded with fiber.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we need to normalize sauteed mushrooms for breakfast over here.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Had a gorgeous bangers and mash a while ago on the moors, local game sausage, a yorkie, good onion gravy, absolutely delicious.

Please tell me you’re not eating loving GARLIC BREAD with bangers and mash?!?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

monkeytennis posted:

Please tell me you’re not eating loving GARLIC BREAD with bangers and mash?!?!

hell yeah and i loving dipped it as well

I know it's not a normal combination but eh, it was on the menu and cheap and it went well, turns out savoury onion gravy goes perfectly well with garlic bread, which I don't really think shoudl be very surprising. Of course garlic and onion go well together.

Honestly I would eat garlic bread with basically anything. loving love garlic. I sometimes make butter fried garlic chicken and pasta which the entire thing is just doused in garlic and the garlic butter forms the sauce for the pasta.

garlic 4 lyfe

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Mar 25, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That sounds great, garlic goes with sausage and potatoes so having a buttery toast version with them seems fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i dipped my garlic bread in the gravy boat like a loving animal and i loved every second of it

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

hell yeah and i loving dipped it as well

I know it's not a normal combination but eh, it was on the menu and cheap and it went well, turns out savoury onion gravy goes perfectly well with garlic bread, which I don't really think shoudl be very surprising. Of course garlic and onion go well together.

Honestly I would eat garlic bread with basically anything. loving love garlic. I sometimes make butter fried garlic chicken and pasta which the entire thing is just doused in garlic and the garlic butter forms the sauce for the pasta.

garlic 4 lyfe

Yeah me too I was only playing. I dunked some in my beef stew and dumplings earlier this week.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh what's this, this looks g—

Mother gently caress

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

OwlFancier posted:

garlic 4 lyfe
It's pretty much always alright and even correct to double or triple the amount of garlic called for in a recipe.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

alarming statistics from overseas

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hmm, im american and all the fish and chips ive had used...not fish sticks. Is that what the actual brits are doing or is this just a school meal?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Ror posted:

alarming statistics from overseas

That's once every 1.4 days!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They shouldn't have counted Fish Finger Dave, Chip "Chippy" Jones, and Chaz the Bean Lad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watched my 2 year old nephew demolish that just this evening, they love it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hmm, im american and all the fish and chips ive had used...not fish sticks. Is that what the actual brits are doing or is this just a school meal?

Fish fingers aren't the same as the fish you get from the chippy. That’s cod or haddock battered and fried.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

Fish fingers aren't the same as the fish you get from the chippy. That’s cod or haddock battered and fried.

I said i was american in the post, idk wtf a chippy is lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I said i was american in the post, idk wtf a chippy is lol

It's the shop where you get fish and chips for your dinneridoo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also a carpenter

there's a bit in Trainspotting where Renton says the unemployment office advise him to become a chippy and I read it probably 2-3 times thinking "okay, managing a fast food joint is an honest job, bit oddly specific for the office but sure"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The point of the described plate is that it's just an easy meal to prepare for tired parents cooking for children who don't have any taste anyways. It's not like what you'd get from fast food or a restaurant. Warm it up and plop it on a plate. Like one of these things but you assemble it yourself out of frozen fries, fishsticks, and a can o beans.

anyways toddswollop clive's your uncle pip pip cheerios stiff upper lip god save the pound righto bobby

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

americans: why do you call things stupid names in the uk

also americans: why do you call it mushy peas just because it's mushy peas

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

Oh what's this, this looks g—

Mother gently caress

They make chewy warheads? Interesting. I love sour patch kids so I might actually try them.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
This is a chippy:

https://youtu.be/N_oIys5KS4A

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

They shouldn't have counted Fish Finger Dave, Chip "Chippy" Jones, and Chaz the Bean Lad

loving Chaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also a carpenter

there's a bit in Trainspotting where Renton says the unemployment office advise him to become a chippy and I read it probably 2-3 times thinking "okay, managing a fast food joint is an honest job, bit oddly specific for the office but sure"
It's also a mostly outdated for a prostitute, which is another strange job for an unemployment office to recommend to anyone, really. That was the first meaning to come to my American mind when I read it in high school.