Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

If it was a kiwi it was probably Kane Te Tai, who was killed in combat last week.

I checked, and yeh, it was :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
More from that attack on the T-treeline from a few days ago. Another attack makes it right outside the trench, the russians throw grenades into it. The guys are ready to make their last stand and call artillery on their own position. It saves their lives. A tank and an ifv arrive and wipe the floor with the rest of the attackers who try to run.

:nms:

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1639986914718515200

quote:

In the history of the K2 battalion, there were many difficult battles. This is one of them.
The battle for the "T-pattern". PART ONE. Contact.
Two enemy assault groups, totaling more than 30 people, attacked one of our battalion's positions. The position is called "T-pattern".

quote:

There, two forest strips converge and seem to form an imaginary letter "T". Eight of our comrades in this position accepted an unequal battle that lasted the whole day. And then the next day. And seven more days of continuous battles of the battalion for a small piece of land.

quote:

This story will come to an epic finale and you will see it all.
Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes! And death to enemies.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Power Khan posted:

More from that attack on the T-treeline from a few days ago. Another attack makes it right outside the trench, the russians throw grenades into it. The guys are ready to make their last stand and call artillery on their own position. It saves their lives. A tank and an ifv arrive and wipe the floor with the rest of the attackers who try to run.

:nms:

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1639986914718515200

This is absolutely incredible footage. gently caress me, it's like HD video of WW1.

Also the most tasteful background music in this entire war

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 26, 2023

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is absolutely incredible footage. gently caress me, it's like HD video of WW1.

There's more footage from this corner, from other attacks that get cut short by artillery. This little trench cost +100 of russian lives alone from what's in there. So yea, the WWI comparison is never wrong. What utter madness.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is absolutely incredible footage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Where is this? Guessing Vuhledar?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

psydude posted:

Where is this? Guessing Vuhledar?

Just West of Lyschans'k and Severodonetsk

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1639342502615343118?s=20

48.878806900769945, 38.2185218692169

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Just West of Lyschans'k and Severodonetsk

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1639342502615343118?s=20

Jeez, and this isn't even one of the hot spots that's being talked about in ISW/the news.

Couple of thoughts: I just watched the video from two days ago as well. RF troops have no armor or artillery support (there's not even any IFVs parked in the wide-angle shots); it's just a platoon-sized element advancing over open terrain against a dug-in opponent with all of the above. The first attacking force gets completely wiped out, and then the second does exactly the same thing, although at least this time one team has the good sense to flank around from behind and almost manages to take it while the rest of their platoon gets mauled by artillery.

Absolutely nuts.

e: I noticed that most of the artillery fired by UKR isn't air bursting. Do we think they're using a mixture of newer and older systems? I don't know a lot about artillery.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 26, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Murgos posted:

Are they still saving the ‘good stuff’ to use on the imminent NATO invasion?

yah they are training dog mines again. Since Ukraine uses the same Russian tanks they are just training them on those

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Couple of thoughts: I just watched the video from two days ago as well. RF troops have no armor or artillery support

What happened to their overwhelming artillery attacks from the Severetodonetsk offensive? All of the ammo was wiped out by Himars?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

psydude posted:

Jeez, and this isn't even one of the hot spots that's being talked about in ISW/the news.

Couple of thoughts: I just watched the video from two days ago as well. RF troops have no armor or artillery support (there's not even any IFVs parked in the wide-angle shots); it's just a platoon-sized element advancing over open terrain against a dug-in opponent with all of the above. The first attacking force gets completely wiped out, and then the second does exactly the same thing, although at least this time one team has the good sense to flank around from behind and almost manages to take it while the rest of their platoon gets mauled by artillery.

Absolutely nuts.

e: I noticed that most of the artillery fired by UKR isn't air bursting. Do we think they're using a mixture of newer and older systems? I don't know a lot about artillery.

There's another series of videos of another attack like that, where they don't even get close to this trench and mortars find their target in the treeline. Also a mix of airburst and impact.

Really makes you wonder about the way lives are spent on a grand scale, if it's like that on an insignificant part of the front, in a place like this. How many people are they willing to get killed for a place that really mattered?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

psydude posted:

general rule of thumb is despite all the NATO stuff being promised the majority of their stuff is still cold war Russian

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Power Khan posted:

There's another series of videos of another attack like that, where they don't even get close to this trench and mortars find their target in the treeline. Also a mix of airburst and impact.

Really makes you wonder about the way lives are spent on a grand scale, if it's like that on an insignificant part of the front, in a place like this. How many people are they willing to get killed for a place that really mattered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOKGjB52GQ

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alan Smithee posted:

general rule of thumb is despite all the NATO stuff being promised the majority of their stuff is still cold war Russian
The vibe I have gotten is that NATO/the US is providing high quality intel (which is invaluable), advanced artillery (not a lot in absolute terms but used very well, see #1) and is gradually providing a really high quality technical base for at least some armored units, which seem likely to comically outmatch whatever Russia has in that zone.

It's not that all of Ukraine's units will be NATO-quality, it's that 4 or 5 will be "veteran NATO" and the Russians will still have pretty much the same army they do right now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It looks like there can't be more than a handful of guys in that one trench and so many lives have been wasted. Unfortunately the only person that can really stop this doesn't care, as is often the case with despots.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

What happened to their overwhelming artillery attacks from the Severetodonetsk offensive? All of the ammo was wiped out by Himars?

Russia still has a significant artillery advantage, but Russian artillery strikes generally follow the Soviet method of massive artillery barrages with ground elements advancing across a moonscape afterwards. The Ukrainians also have this doctrine, but have been trained on/have adopted a more western approach of assigning Artillery assets to individual units when it's deemed appropriate. Judging from that video there's at least one, and possibly three artillery tubes assigned to provide support to that one fighting position. In addition, it's really difficult to task artillery to support your own people in an assault, since you're more likely to shred your own people. It's still a difficult ask to support defenders in a close assault, but at least they have cover.

edit: Ah, gently caress, there's footage of canister shot being used from those Ukrainian t-72s.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Taerkar posted:

It looks like there can't be more than a handful of guys in that one trench and so many lives have been wasted. Unfortunately the only person that can really stop this doesn't care, as is often the case with despots.

Me from 3000km away: “just walk around it”

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

edit: Ah, gently caress, there's footage of canister shot being used from those Ukrainian t-72s.
Link? Or is it so rated R that maybe its unfit for human consumption?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It's in one of the videos linked recently in this thread. The only time you could possibly see what that kind of munition does it's blurred out. Just be warned if you encounter this footage somewhere without content control.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It's in one of the videos linked recently in this thread. The only time you could possibly see what that kind of munition does it's blurred out. Just be warned if you encounter this footage somewhere without content control.

The non blurred version is in the telegram channel linked in detail of the YouTube video.

No I didn't watch it, nor do I want to.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Generation Internet posted:

Nanometer-precision lat-long right there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Uh, canister shot turns people into meat. You really don't want to see it. It's like, imagine if you loaded a 125mm tank barrel with steel buck shot. It is literally the same thing, the canister flies apart once fired and shoots pellets in a cone in front of the tank.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thinking it was HE-Frag that did it. Either way, a dozen or so lives lost for a junction between two barren fields.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Thinking it was HE-Frag that did it. Either way, a dozen or so lives lost for a junction between two barren fields.

Nah when the tank goes through the treeline and lines up on the dismounts on the far side, they load and fire canister. checking the 2A46's ordnance, yeah they don't have a canister round for it, nevermind, had to have been HE. Still, nasty as gently caress, and a complete waste of life like this entire loving war.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 27, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

edit: nm, cleared up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

All this T55 Soviet tank talk is gonna make me watch The Beast again

trying to find this. is it the 1988 film called the beast of war?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think they mean the recent movie called The Beast starring Brad Pitt. I haven’t seen it yet but I hear it’s pretty good.

Duh, that’s called Fury. I’m dumb.

Yeah, looks like The Beast of War about a T-55.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34_(film)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

"Multi-track drifting??!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_(1988_film)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

orange juche posted:

Nah when the tank goes through the treeline and lines up on the dismounts on the far side, they load and fire canister. checking the 2A46's ordnance, yeah they don't have a canister round for it, nevermind, had to have been HE. Still, nasty as gently caress, and a complete waste of life like this entire loving war.

It's such an incredibly incompetently executed attack. Even without the armour, trickle-feeding light infantry into an attack on a prepared defensive position. And then it turns out they can bring in an IFV and a tank, and the attackers have zero combat support: no artillery, no CAS, no ATGM even. Amateur hour.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

At one point late in a video I see a tank fire at close range and there's no explosion just a bunch of puffs of dirt and everyone in a squad of Russians except for one man falls down and stops moving. If that wasn't canister shot, it did an excellent job of looking exactly like it.

edit: some digging turns up no examples of canister shot, but there are some fused antipersonnel fragmentation. Is it possible to set that ammo for immediate detonation upon exiting the barrel?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2023

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

A.o.D. posted:

At one point late in a video I see a tank fire at close range and there's no explosion just a bunch of puffs of dirt and everyone in a squad of Russians except for one man falls down and stops moving. If that wasn't canister shot, it did an excellent job of looking exactly like it.

edit: some digging turns up no examples of canister shot, but there are some fused antipersonnel fragmentation. Is it possible to set that ammo for immediate detonation upon exiting the barrel?

Possible HE-frag fired at the trees on abt head height would make a a massive drag storm.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Valtonen posted:

Possible HE-frag fired at the trees on abt head height would make a a massive drag storm.

This was along a treeline in the open rather than into trees or through trees. The tank had fired HE at infantry previously, so there's a visual comparison to be made. It's 4:54 in the video in this tweet: https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1640019731712299011 There's no overt gore, but if you know what's going on, this is very unpleasant to think about.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pretty sure they just overshot with the main gun, or it bounced/failed to detonate. All the dudes died either to the AFV cannonfire blowing up in the trees like 10 feet away from their heads or possibly the coaxial machine gun on the tank.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Pretty sure they just overshot with the main gun, or it bounced/failed to detonate. All the dudes died either to the AFV cannonfire blowing up in the trees like 10 feet away from their heads or possibly the coaxial machine gun on the tank.

I guess. maybe.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm pretty sure the guy in front just farted and the rest passed out. He fled into the brush in shame, met a meerkat, and one day will sing to an exile lion prince of his time as a young warthog.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy in front just farted and the rest passed out. He fled into the brush in shame, met a meerkat, and one day will sing to an exile lion prince of his time as a young warthog.

War is hell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's wild to see videos posted that look like loving Battlefield 3 replays.

Absolutely trash push by the RU team.

Speaking of the ATGM kill vids, have we seen much from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is it just me or did they put in sound effects? The small arms fire sounds especially strange to me.