Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
N'kari isn't that hard to get started imo. You can rip the elves to shreds by using the basic seeker cavalry to swarm their archers and disable them. Trying to seduce other factions early is a bit of a trap and time waster though and will make your life more difficult than just fighting it out to establish yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
is there a good mousillon playable mod? preferably SFO compatible. he was always my favorite campaign in wh2

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
One of the biggest flaws of the AI is that it will always leave skirmisher mode on its ranged units so if you approach their backline at all it's just going to fall into complete chaos as all their archers/gunners scurry away in every direction. This is why rush down armies just obliterate the AI, it has no answers for it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also flyers coming from behind will almost always make the ranged flee into the front lines, which makes anti-crowd spells catastrophic. Even when its a hybrid unit that can probably win against light flyers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zzulu posted:

One of the biggest flaws of the AI is that it will always leave skirmisher mode on its ranged units so if you approach their backline at all it's just going to fall into complete chaos as all their archers/gunners scurry away in every direction. This is why rush down armies just obliterate the AI, it has no answers for it

I really think that they shouldn’t even allow skirmish mode for normal archers, and only skirmished type units should get it for exactly this reason. Pistoliers with skirmish mode can seriously do work because they can shoot behind them but outriders with skirmish mode just become locked down forever

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Zzulu posted:

OTOH I loving hate microing them to do this so I only do it well when the battle totally depends on it. Usually I feel like it's fair just to set them on the ranged, maybe moving them around a few times.

My first campaign was HE and I would definitely just bounce the phoenix around to shuffle the enemy ranged but also because I legit wanted to fire bomb them.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Some of the TW content producers have shed light on the embargo dates for Chaos Dwarfs:
- Show off units, magic and multiplayer on March 31
- Campaign gameplay April 5
- "Other FLC" April 11
- Reviews April 12

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I would like to play chaos dwarfs please

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is posting about Warhammer a form of "content creation". If so, please send the chorf early access to me CA.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is posting about Warhammer a form of "content creation". If so, please send the chorf early access to me CA.

I will collaborate with you on making a boring-rear end 60 minute video of one battle, give us the chorfs CA

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I will collaborate with you on making a boring-rear end 60 minute video of one battle, give us the chorfs CA

I will also collaborate and we'll make a multiplayer campaign except it'll take us like 90 minutes for one turn and then CA will have to give us early chorfs. :cool:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No the trick is we don't finish the turn because we spend 45 minutes arguing over some arcane part of the lore then one of us quits in disgust

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. My game has officially hit the 'welp just shoot everything that moves' point as the moment the Chaos invasion was over the entire loving world descended into a tantrum spiral and I have wound up at war with about six new enemies over the course of about two turns.

Edit: Make that four, Thorgrim and Grombrindal got to work.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
holy gently caress grom is insane, just gonna kill high tier elf units with stacks of regenerating frenzied 90 leadership goblins with rocket launchers

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I always found exploding-ammo gobbos to be a bit underwhelming. They're good at stopping enemy archers from firing (because they spend all their time getting back up again), but their damage/kill counts at the end of each battle were noticeably low. I wind up leaving them on the anti-large or sometimes the anti-infantry bonus

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
kill-six-billion-elves

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Grognan posted:

kill-six-billion-elves

Kill the dawi and topple their thrones

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kazzah posted:

I always found exploding-ammo gobbos to be a bit underwhelming. They're good at stopping enemy archers from firing (because they spend all their time getting back up again), but their damage/kill counts at the end of each battle were noticeably low. I wind up leaving them on the anti-large or sometimes the anti-infantry bonus

An enemy unit not firing is effectively out of the fight

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks to Orion's suicide I now have a clear plan to finish out this game. Getting Corounne - currently held by Wulfrik - and then also Galleon's Graveyard and Naggarond will bring me up to the 17 required victory cities. Then I also need Zhufbar and one city held by Tik'taq'to. Hitting both of those would obviously [further] tank my diplomatic reliability, but if I can line this up right it shouldn't be difficult to accomplish all my other objectives, line up armies outside those two cities, and in the same turn declare two new wars, grab the two cities, and win the campaign, long-term consequences are moot.

This has been one messy game, but a win's a win and I don't think there's anything left in the world that can actually stop me, just varying degrees of inconvenience.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 27, 2023

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Kazzah posted:

The double shot one is probably the best. With the armor piercing scrap upgrade they just melt stuff.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

An enemy unit not firing is effectively out of the fight

You know what's even better? Wiping them out so those archers can then move on to firing at other targets.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

Thanks to Orion's suicide I now have a clear plan to finish out this game. Getting Corounne - currently held by Wulfrik - and then also Galleon's Graveyard and Naggarond will bring me up to the 17 required victory cities. Then I also need Zhufbar and one city held by Tik'taq'to. Hitting both of those would obviously [further] tank my diplomatic reliability, but if I can line this up right it shouldn't be difficult to accomplish all my other objectives, line up armies outside those two cities, and in the same turn declare two new wars, grab the two cities, and win the campaign, long-term consequences are moot.

This has been one messy game, but a win's a win and I don't think there's anything left in the world that can actually stop me, just varying degrees of inconvenience.

You're already a better dawi player than that one goon that claims to have years of experience and yet can't figure out how to get past Grimgrog.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

You're already a better dawi player than that one goon that claims to have years of experience and yet can't figure out how to get past Grimgrog.

Grimgor was never a serious threat in my game, really. He was perpetually annoying, but I never felt like he might actually kill me. I discovered afterwards that he was the meat in a Thorgrim and Tik'taq'to sandwich, so that seems to have kept him from gathering enough force to do more than briefly take a minor settlement for a couple of turns.

No, the big threat of my early game would be the goddamn skaven, especially Snikch. I'm pretty sure he murdered Imrik, Malus, and Nakai before I finally pushed the bastard back and eventually crushed him.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Unfortunately Grimgor fights boil down to focusing on taking out Grimgor specifically, rather than the 5000 greenskins behind him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That's odd. My tactic every battle with Grimgor that I didn't autoresolve boiled down to using my lord to tank Grimgor while I shot and burned his army until he fled from army losses.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's canon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cythereal posted:

That's odd. My tactic every battle with Grimgor that I didn't autoresolve boiled down to using my lord to tank Grimgor while I shot and burned his army until he fled from army losses.

Grimgor always chops my lords up, with or without 2 units of AP ranged unloading into his back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cythereal posted:

I love this because that one poster's insane complaints about Grimgor mostly boiled down to him being able to solo any number of dwarf lords and heroes along with the entire dwarven army. Good on you for figuring out how to play dwarves.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Grumio posted:

Some of the TW content producers have shed light on the embargo dates for Chaos Dwarfs:
- Show off units, magic and multiplayer on March 31
- Campaign gameplay April 5
- "Other FLC" April 11
- Reviews April 12

I wonder if that is just unfortunate phrasing about the FLC or if they actually leaked the existance of a thing.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Iirc grimgor does have an unbreakable skill but since the AI basically chooses random skills he won’t always have it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I still have to just outlast Grimgor most fights. Malus is even scarier in my experience, I have to just send a company or two to hold him in place long enough to kill his army. Skarbrand is a real monster too, though he's easy to shoot because he's so big. When he gets to your lords it's rough, I faced him with Eltharion not long ago and he absolutely bodied my poor elf faster than I could realise he had broken through the line.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vlad is similarly unkillable. Mannfred is a pussy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The entire rest of the Athel Loren is now after me and just dealt me my first legit defeat in the field in a while. Jesus, wood elves are nasty.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The entire rest of the Athel Loren is now after me and just dealt me my first legit defeat in the field in a while. Jesus, wood elves are nasty.

Yup. They are the worst army to fight against.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yup. They are the worst army to fight against.

I haven't fought a field battle against wood elfs since... poo poo, since they first launched. I've fought a defensive siege but never, ever a field battle. Terrifying.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There's a reason why, when playing as Ikit, I setup bombs under the entire forest as soon as possible. I'd rather wipe them out in one fell swoop than risk fighting those murder hippies in the field.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

not a bot posted:

I wonder if that is just unfortunate phrasing about the FLC or if they actually leaked the existance of a thing.

The achievements leaked the existence of a thing some time ago, which have to do with points based trials which are probably a part of the Mirrors of Madness update teased several months ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile, I received notice that Clan Pestilens has been eradicated. There are no more skaven LLs in the game. As such, I decided two of my possessions needed new names.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

not a bot posted:

Probably Ulrika and revealing the existence of some other bonus unit like the bone giant or the catchweb spidershrine for having Total War Access maybe?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jokes posted:

I haven't fought a field battle against wood elfs since... poo poo, since they first launched. I've fought a defensive siege but never, ever a field battle. Terrifying.

I consider Knights of the Realm to be a good, solid unit. Good armour, they can take a few hits, and they can generally hold their own. Seeing more than a third of the unit health get chipped away by a single volley, and realising that the rest of my army was about to get the same was a huge :stare: moment.

I'm from Brettonia and I say ally 'em all (unless you can't, in which case good luck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Gonkish posted:

There's a reason why, when playing as Ikit, I setup bombs under the entire forest as soon as possible. I'd rather wipe them out in one fell swoop than risk fighting those murder hippies in the field.

Oh man, I'd love to do that but for a while in 2 it seemed like you'll never get the timer down before they destroy your undercity. Have they changed things up for 3?