Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
At least the Heist Battlegrounds seem to have reduced density when they got converted to the VOps playlist? It's gonna be loving tough either way.

Also one of my favourite little interactions with my new mod system is that things that normally did not trigger wells or orbs do now. If you crack the crystals from glacier grenades and it kills someone then Firepower will spawn an orb. Trappers Ambush slam attack now spawns an orb with Heavy Handed (something I have bitched about since Void 3.0 launched lol).

Trappers Ambush really needs another fragment slot, but right now I have updated my Graviton Forfeit build to use Heavy Handed, Focusing Strike, Reaper, Absolution and some other bits and bobs to get as minimum downtime of dodge and quickfall as possible.

It works really well, especially with a suppressor grenade and the "grenades weaken enemies" fragment. Just constant invisibility and debuffing enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Roctavian posted:

Grandmaster Nightfalls are mostly like this, though most recently-made strikes contain at least one big gently caress you open area.

Glassway boss fight on GM really painted my little red wagon. It is interesting how clear the divide is between strikes that started development before and after GM difficulty became a thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxfunction posted:

At least the Heist Battlegrounds seem to have reduced density when they got converted to the VOps playlist? It's gonna be loving tough either way.

The vanguard ops heists appear to be using the scripts from the director icon versions, but when the mars version was nightfall a week or two ago the champions were back so it’s probably the seasonal playlist version when it’s a GM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The new exotic shotty has been great in IB. Rush a point, click button, collect kills.

https://i.imgur.com/HJKgpvT.mp4

Respawn and do it again!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The sheer amount of crap being thrown at you in Defiant Battlegrounds combined with the general sponginess of everything is kinda obnoxious. I seriously think I've been dying much more in this seasonal activity than in any other. Things take way too long as it is.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there any good exotic weapon to switch to from the Striga on my Strand Titan? I love it, but the strand SMG or AR is great as well, and I feel like I could be more efficient with a special or heavy exotic since my main role is CC.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

The sheer amount of crap being thrown at you in Defiant Battlegrounds combined with the general sponginess of everything is kinda obnoxious. I seriously think I've been dying much more in this seasonal activity than in any other. Things take way too long as it is.

I generally don't have this problem because I use my machinegun as if it's my primary weapon, as well as the extra survivability from Voidlock

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, as with other things, the solution to defiant battlegrounds is the liberal application of a void LMG (or void guns in general) with the right artifact perks.

I'll usually roll with Commeration & Wavesplitter and basically never need to touch my primary.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any good exotic weapon to switch to from the Striga on my Strand Titan? I love it, but the strand SMG or AR is great as well, and I feel like I could be more efficient with a special or heavy exotic since my main role is CC.

I'm not one of the Good People so take it all with a grain of salt but this season I have been trying to stay grape for my energy/power on the Abeyant Leap suspenderguy, so like Le Monarque can be real strong. I guess Wavesplitter can get gross as well but I have yet to try it out. Honestly there are a number of good legendary energy/power options such that I can see not running an exotic, depending on the activity. Gnawing Hunger, Funnelweb, probably that sweet trials SMG (I WOULND"T KNOW), Hero's Burden with Destabilizing, Retrofit Escapade, Commemoration are all easy to run so it almost feels like I'm searching for an exotic based on the activity/encounter as well, when Osteo isn't the right pick. Two-Tailed Fox is pretty good with the catalyst as well, sort of a one-stop champion stopper. Leviathan's Breath with the catalyst is strong for Unstop or just chain-stunning and is putting out pretty good damage I've found. Fighting Lion is an old favorite of mine and is currently p strong against red bars but may be bugged. Splitting off from Void, In solo difficult content I crutch on Lament for the self-healing, haven't tried that yet with Strand. Trinity Ghoul always a great wave deleter, Riskrunner is strong in Fallen activities like the middle of Grasp. For more crowd loving action, Gjallarhorn and Thunderlord (with catalysts) are great, and Xenophage can be a problem solver in some stuff, I treat it like an infinite range semi auto yellow bar deleter.

I'm just rambling but these are the things I lean on and mess with on my Strand Titan Guy.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'll usually roll with Commeration & Wavesplitter and basically never need to touch my primary.

I've been trying a Wavesplitter build after not using that exotic for so long, it's pretty cool! Along with my crafted Retrofit Escapade

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

If you're looking for a crowd control exotic heavy or special, I would saaaaay Thunderlord or Collective Obligation?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
How many special ammo mods do you need to equip in order to keep Wavesplitter fed?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
This reminds me I feel like Lorentz Driver could be hilarious against a room of suspended trash, I gotta give that a shot...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

uwaeve posted:

This reminds me I feel like Lorentz Driver could be hilarious against a room of suspended trash, I gotta give that a shot...

!!!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I've been running a Circular Logic with Demolitionist in my strand warlock. It kills things very, very quickly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kesper North posted:

How many special ammo mods do you need to equip in order to keep Wavesplitter fed?

Easier to run special finisher imo but I run with 1 finder in addition to rotating between it and a LMG when clearing content.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

neutral milf hotel posted:

Also how the heck did Navôta kill the guardians Maeve and Cas in the cosmodrome? I thought it was super rare for guardians to die in battle unless their ghosts were targeted with some type of hardened scorn weapon

Certain baddies have the ability to cut guardians off from the light. Crota and his brood was known to do it. It's part of what makes the Hive so scary to guardians (in the lore at least, they're mostly a joke in game).

If a guardian gets their light cut off and then dies, they're dead-dead.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

we can kill a ghost with our bare hands, it can't be that tough

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zokari posted:

we can kill a ghost with our bare hands, it can't be that tough
It sort of isn't tough.

This discussion gets brought up a bunch, but there's a bunch of lore stuff of ghosts getting off'd very easily. It's just that they tend to normally be careful and hide. Or the guardian has backup so the ghost has time to rez.

I also like to think it's particularly easy for us cause we have paracausal power.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxyclean posted:

It sort of isn't tough.

This discussion gets brought up a bunch, but there's a bunch of lore stuff of ghosts getting off'd very easily. It's just that they tend to normally be careful and hide. Or the guardian has backup so the ghost has time to rez.

I also like to think it's particularly easy for us cause we have paracausal power.

Yeah that's basically it.

Up until season of drifter, the lore was pretty consistent- ghosts aren't all that tough (at least in comparison to the absurd strength the enemy's weapons have in lore (ie. a fallen captain's shock blade is actually a plasma cutter (as hot as the sun) and can cut through solid steel). Ghost's getting whacked was pretty common (Spider's currency of choice was pieces of dead ghosts), with their main defense being fast and squirrelly so that they avoid getting hit. But it did happen.

Otherwise you can attack the guardian/ghost's connection to the Light, like the Hive do, or Darkness zones, or the Cabal did on the Traveler. Or bypass it with time/vex-fuckery like what happened to Saint, Kabr, Praedyth and Asher.

In reckoning they gently caress it all up with the statement that 'scorn weapons can't kill a ghost' and retconning the Rifleman to have a 'devourer bullet' that bypasses physical defenses, essentially. They don't outright say that ghosts are invulnerable to non-paracausal weapons, but they kind of imply you need them, even though this makes no sense with the previous lore. (Especially since the Rifleman himself was famed for killing ghosts...)

They kind of walked it back with some lore from WQ, saying 'overwhelming firepower or paracausal' to kill a ghost, but again, a dreg can kill a ghost if it gets the chance, so overwhelming firepower is a uselessly low criteria because everything can be overwhelming.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For some reason I thought the "devourer bullet' thing was presented within the Forsaken story it self or something, but yeah, Cayde's death in particular stuck in my mind for a long time as "don't you need something special to kill ghosts?"

It's weird cause it some times feels like they sort of want it both ways - Guardians are these nigh immortal things, terrifying and unfair to their enemies, and final death is this very shocking and appalling thing. But also they want threats to feel credible and enemies to feel scary so guardians are constantly being off'd in lorebooks. Poor ol' Andy-6, thought of Hive magic and died.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxyclean posted:

For some reason I thought the "devourer bullet' thing was presented within the Forsaken story it self or something, but yeah, Cayde's death in particular stuck in my mind for a long time as "don't you need something special to kill ghosts?"

It's weird cause it some times feels like they sort of want it both ways - Guardians are these nigh immortal things, terrifying and unfair to their enemies, and final death is this very shocking and appalling thing. But also they want threats to feel credible and enemies to feel scary so guardians are constantly being off'd in lorebooks. Poor ol' Andy-6, thought of Hive magic and died.

I can't speak for what might have given you that impression, but no, in Forsaken itself it was just "Cayde and his ghost were arrogant and got in too deep, and the Rifleman is a good shot who waited for the right moment."

Rifleman was even noted in lore for killing many ghosts (see Trinity Ghoul). There was nothing about his gear that was stated to be special (besides his robotic eyes linked to his scope). No paracausality at least, no devourer bullet.

That was introduced in drifter season, in order to... have some sort of mystery plot? How did they get a devourer bullet, were they in cahoots with someone else, etc. But really it was just unnecessarily overcomplicating things

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mazerunner posted:

But really it was just unnecessarily overcomplicating things

In Destiny you say

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I kinda loath PVP but stuck through the 18 IB matches in my pinnacle chase. The last two drops were my class item which you don't really need more than one of anymore while my chest piece is 3 under. It'll be nice to maybe not have to do the pinnacle grind anymore especially when it doesn't favor your lowest item.

However, being almost 1810 has made some things feel a lot better and I'm getting through Legendary content relatively well. They seem to have neglected adapting the campaign missions to legendary/master well, though. Like, this weeks mission has fairly long dialogue sections that don't stop the timer.

Also, Outbreak Perfected deals with barrier champs wonderfully and Graviton Lance is a blast with this season of Void Volatility.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Graviton Lance really helped me with the legendary campaign. It meant I could keep my distance a bit, volatile rounds from Gyrfalcons plus Graviton's extra explosions meant everything was blowing up in purple, anti barrier pulse meant all those cabal shields did nothing for them, plus it has vorpal for the beefy bois and the 40% buff against red bars and turnabout for an overshield every now and then because why not?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It's so loving stupid that they don't coordinate the "bonus rank" to go with events like iron banner. "Please come play pvp but btw you get extra vanguard rank this week only"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

I can't speak for what might have given you that impression, but no, in Forsaken itself it was just "Cayde and his ghost were arrogant and got in too deep, and the Rifleman is a good shot who waited for the right moment."
It might just be like a hind-sight thing. Around that time I didn't really pay attention to the lore beyond the surface level story telling, and what I passively absorbed from this thread/memes and my friends, at some point I absorbed the story from season of the drifter, etc.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It's so loving stupid that they don't coordinate the "bonus rank" to go with events like iron banner. "Please come play pvp but btw you get extra vanguard rank this week only"
It might even be deliberate. IB keeps crucible numbers high this week, then bonus rep will keep them high another week. It will be a bit funny if none of the 3 IBs land on a crucible week, but again, not very surprising.

I do agree it's annoying because I didn't have any time to do vanguard this week and I still need a reset and a half if I want the ornament.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

The worst part is, it used to be that way! Bonus crucible rank was during banner for a few seasons. Not sure if they changed it intentionally to not have people reset crucible so easily, or if it's unintentional. Either way, it sucks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought they did pair boosted rep with IB. That's how it always used to be and I saw the little boost thing on the queue for IB.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

I thought they did pair boosted rep with IB. That's how it always used to be and I saw the little boost thing on the queue for IB.

It was like that for a few seasons, but the boost thing you saw was probably just the IB boost stuff that tells you how much rep boost you're getting from armor/emblem/challenge.

As a side note, like a dummy it took me like 10 games to realize I could just create a loadout where I had some IB ornaments applied to my gear and then I wouldn't need to worry about carrying spare IB armor around or need to use some badly stated/non upgraded IB armor. (You can also stick an IB ornament onto an IB armor and it counts for double for whatever reason)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

As a side note, like a dummy it took me like 10 games to realize I could just create a loadout where I had some IB ornaments applied to my gear and then I wouldn't need to worry about carrying spare IB armor around or need to use some badly stated/non upgraded IB armor. (You can also stick an IB ornament onto an IB armor and it counts for double for whatever reason)

Wouldn't say "like a dummy" when that is insanely unintuitive and outright dumb. Good catch. Glad I now know this for future ib weeks....

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Supposedly Bungie changed text chat to be opt-out in order to foster positive communication. But the only communication I've received is from a tryhard fool in Iron Banner who was raging about our team losing.

Bro, some of us struggle to even reach the heady heights of 1.00 K/D

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think theres some weird overflow thing where it stops working if your pair too much armor with too many ornaments, though.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Oxyclean posted:

(You can also stick an IB ornament onto an IB armor and it counts for double for whatever reason)

That's intentional to allow you to wear a piece of exotic armor, since you can't give that an IB themed ornament.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Iron Banner was moved back a week, and I would put money on it being too hard to swap the bonus rep rotation to match.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Iron Banner was moved back a week, and I would put money on it being too hard to swap the bonus rep rotation to match.
Was last week double crucible? For some reason I thought it was double gambit.

Infected posted:

That's intentional to allow you to wear a piece of exotic armor, since you can't give that an IB themed ornament.
I'm not 100% sure it is - IB guns also count towards the gear count. In the past I've usually just stuck roar of the bear in my heavy slot to reduce how much IB armor I actually had to use.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jokes on you, last week was double Gambit!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Didn't this first IB get shifted by a week for some reason? The matching seasonal challenge was in last week's block.

Also can someone remind me what LL I need to be to see the weekly pinnacle challenges (i.e. the vanguard/crucible/gambit ones on the director). Is it the soft-cap at 1750? I was going to run IB on my alts to try to complete their armour sets but I haven't leveled them and the IB pinnacles were not showing at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Grimthwacker posted:

the poor man's answer to this is Riskrunner for the endless taken trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Using the exotic lmg from the expansion and gnawing hunger has made the trash extremely easy to take out.

Burst damage and random people who don't know how to play objectives are a great counterbalance.