Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

Finally finished S1 of Birdgirl (got access to HBO at last) and, is it just me or — this show just doesn’t seem very good.

It’s like it thinks it’s a lot funnier than it actually is. It wants some reflected Archer light and coasts on inherited Harvey Birdman energy but I’m not feeling it at all.

Yeah, the issue is it’s not really that absurdist like old show was. Like yeah original was deeply political and etc but it was also chaotic and blasted poo poo in screen constantly and was extremely meta and weird. Birdgirl is just trying to be weirdly clever and slower paced which is fine but it’s not what made the original show good. Like I feel like it’s trying to milk depth that wasn’t there in original show. I almost want To say it’s trying to have more of a morel oral type deal but like why.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Oh sorry, could you point me to an animator who is 7 degrees of separation from all problematic animation industry personnel?
I mean recording a podcast with Doug TenNapel sounds like 0 degrees of separation lol

how long ago was that tho? Mike Nelson of MST3k also did a podcast with TenNapel until the internet found out and he quickly pulled a dril tweet of ‘sorry, I’m sorry, I’m trying to delete it’ and that was good enough for people

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, the issue is it’s not really that absurdist like old show was. Like yeah original was deeply political and etc but it was also chaotic and blasted poo poo in screen constantly and was extremely meta and weird. Birdgirl is just trying to be weirdly clever and slower paced which is fine but it’s not what made the original show good. Like I feel like it’s trying to milk depth that wasn’t there in original show. I almost want To say it’s trying to have more of a morel oral type deal but like why.

I don't mind it being different, it's its own show after all. I'd just like it to be funny while it's doing it.

Characters' one-liners aren't witty or outrageous or anything, they're just dull and non-sequiturry. It's like watching Naked Gun and not being able to stop laughing the entire time, then watching Naked Gun 2 1/2 and thinking "are all these Leslie Nielsen deadpan jokes just going over my head, or are they actually badly written?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It helped that Mike did feel genuine in his apology and seemed unaware of TenNapel's poo poo since the podcast didn't come close to related topics.

Mike's a center-right Gen Xer from Minnesota and not very online.

As for Birdgirl, I felt it had its moments but overall yeah just didn't work. It was weird when it did try to be zany because it didn't combine well with the rest of the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

It helped that Mike did feel genuine in his apology and seemed unaware of TenNapel's poo poo since the podcast didn't come close to related topics.

Mike's a center-right Gen Xer from Minnesota and not very online.

Yeah, I mean if Frank is still friends with Mike it feels like it's genuine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

I don't mind it being different, it's its own show after all. I'd just like it to be funny while it's doing it.

Characters' one-liners aren't witty or outrageous or anything, they're just dull and non-sequiturry. It's like watching Naked Gun and not being able to stop laughing the entire time, then watching Naked Gun 2 1/2 and thinking "are all these Leslie Nielsen deadpan jokes just going over my head, or are they actually badly written?"

yeah, i respect them for trying something different. i just think it was way way too deadpan for its own good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I feel like too many of BirdGirl's core cast are just sort of smug, flat characters. Like Meredith the Mindtaker is just a way more boring Mentok; Charlie Strongarm's boring as gently caress most of the time too.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zero VGS posted:

Oh sorry, could you point me to an animator who is 7 degrees of separation from all problematic animation industry personnel?

Tennapel was pretty notorious for well over a decade for being a vocal bigot and that bigotry had direct consequences to his career in a hugely public way, man. And it wasn't some one-off appearance, either.

If there was a reckoning and apology, etc. that's great, but it was a hosed-up situation that's more than what you're playing it off as.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Tennapel was pretty notorious for well over a decade for being a vocal bigot and that bigotry had direct consequences to his career in a hugely public way, man. And it wasn't some one-off appearance, either.

If there was a reckoning and apology, etc. that's great, but it was a hosed-up situation that's more than what you're playing it off as.

We had something like this happen over in the Star Trek thread regarding Star Trek: Picard's showrunner Terry Matalas, where he went on a bunch of right wing bigots' podcasts to do press for the third season of the show and then just... kept going on more and more and more right wing bigots' podcasts. And when he was called out for it on Twitter he was like "Oh, well how was I supposed to know these guys were a bunch of white supremacist misogynists, how could I POSSIBLY have known?" despite there being literal years worth of easily googleable evidence of these peoples' bigotry on full display, and then he just kept going on more and more right wing bigots' podcast to hype the show after getting called out for it.

And people were like "please stop reminding me that the showrunner is chud-friendly, I just want to consume the media in peace without thinking about it" and the general consensus was kind of "no."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nine-gear crow posted:

We had something like this happen over in the Star Trek thread regarding Star Trek: Picard's showrunner Terry Matalas, where he went on a bunch of right wing bigots' podcasts to do press for the third season of the show and then just... kept going on more and more and more right wing bigots' podcasts. And when he was called out for it on Twitter he was like "Oh, well how was I supposed to know these guys were a bunch of white supremacist misogynists, how could I POSSIBLY have known?" despite there being literal years worth of easily googleable evidence of these peoples' bigotry on full display, and then he just kept going on more and more right wing bigots' podcast to hype the show after getting called out for it.

And people were like "please stop reminding me that the showrunner is chud-friendly, I just want to consume the media in peace without thinking about it" and the general consensus was kind of "no."

Oh my God, there were people who actually WANTED to watch Star Trek: Picard? I thought that show was made as a joke.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like too many of BirdGirl's core cast are just sort of smug, flat characters. Like Meredith the Mindtaker is just a way more boring Mentok; Charlie Strongarm's boring as gently caress most of the time too.

It feels like an entirely different show with a Harvey Birdman coat of paint: the visuals, timing, and line delivery are all way different.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neeksy posted:

This TenNapel guy's non-art positions are typical chud dogshit, but I don't think that auto-cancels all of his guests if they want to show up and discuss art and animation.

Like, there's reuploads of these TenNapel shows; apparently Doug is a blowhard conservative who's explicitly against gay marriage, but he still invites the creator and creator's gay husband on the show, because the main objective is promoting them as indie artists. He's trying to do some "see, I have gay friends!" PR nonsense there too, and because it's his show and he's an rear end in a top hat, he grills them both on the Gay Experience and their stance on politics and religion while they squirm because they clearly want to get back to talking about their artwork.

My boyfriend likes to watch that Bill Maher HBO show for some reason, and this feels a lot like when Maher gets to invite people with opposing viewpoints who need the exposure or a book plug, and they're totally at at his mercy. In both cases, I don't think the guests owe anyone an apology for being seen next to someone controversial or shaking hands with the enemy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh my God, there were people who actually WANTED to watch Star Trek: Picard? I thought that show was made as a joke.

Credit where it's due, Season 3 is at least watchable, even enjoyable. It's just made by a dude who's really buddy buddy close with a lot of really gross sons of bitches.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Birdgirl's first season is pretty bad, last episode is probably the worst of the lot. Writing is all over the place.

I thought the second season was fantastic though, it goes way harder in every way and fleshes out the whole cast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh does it? Then I'll give S2 a shot. That's kinda what I was hoping someone would say one way or the other.

That S1 final episode was just ... buh. So tedious. I was looking at my watch like "only 18 minutes? Uugghh"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This TenNapel guy's non-art positions are typical chud dogshit, but I don't think that auto-cancels all of his guests if they want to show up and discuss art and animation.

Like, there's reuploads of these TenNapel shows; apparently Doug is a blowhard conservative who's explicitly against gay marriage, but he still invites the creator and creator's gay husband on the show, because the main objective is promoting them as indie artists. He's trying to do some "see, I have gay friends!" PR nonsense there too, and because it's his show and he's an rear end in a top hat, he grills them both on the Gay Experience and their stance on politics and religion while they squirm because they clearly want to get back to talking about their artwork.
Why would someone then go on multiple times, including alongside a guy named Reagan Lodge that's apparently known as a nazi-sympathizer if their experience on the show was that awkward?

It'd be like going on Fox News over and over again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neeksy posted:

Why would someone then go on multiple times, including alongside a guy named Reagan Lodge that's apparently known as a nazi-sympathizer if their experience on the show was that awkward?

It'd be like going on Fox News over and over again.

Googling Reagan Lodge, the nazi thing only came to light in 2020 and all these shows were apparently 2018?

I think he'd go on multiple times because he likes being on art shows more than he dislikes the awkward segues. Or maybe he gives absolutely no fucks who he interacts with. You'd have to ask him yourself, I'm not a mind reader.

It's just exhausting being like "impressive achievement!" and the guy's instantly on trial. It feels like that Dunkey video where he plays two dozen games trying to find one that's free of controversy and can't do it, because everything mentions Rowling, Dan Harmon, Hulk Hogan, or Will Smith.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The more important question is: what do you propose should be done about this person's apparent connection with TenNapel?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

phew caught up and, somehow this tweet is both new and evergreen https://twitter.com/danileepearce/status/1632853166390648833

it was a good show and adults need to quit watching shows aimed at like 10 year olds and getting Mad its basically at a 10 year olds level, i don't see even half the rage from jokerfied 35 year olds aimed at atla or precure or whatever

also if that fox in space guys a shithead then that sucks tho imo maybe shooting them a question about the tennapel stuff might be better, they might not know that guy sucks rear end

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
problematic associations notwithstanding, the james/desslar scene was probably the standout. perfect noir mix of weariness and tragedy

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Finally got around to that Clone High revival pilot leak. The show is back

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is Gandhi still Gandhi

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gandhi is too important to mock, his image must remain untainted so India's current government can poo poo all over his values in peace.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is Gandhi still Gandhi

The clones from the original show were frozen and the first episode is about them getting unfrozen. Gandhi remains frozen in a cutaway scene.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So Genndy's new movie/series thing is coming to Adult Swim now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1640520349505708033

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God that mf has energy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

No.1 Special posted:

maybe i'll even like the writing this time, i say, each time he makes a show with plot

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Samurai Jack S5 hurt. The quality of the first 3 episodes vs the remainder just burnt the everloving poo poo outta me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Samurai Jack season 5 was my Game of Thrones ending. It made me so disillusioned with Genndy I never bothered with Primal.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ignore all critcisms of S5. Shut up it was good.

*denies the ending ever existing* :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No.1 Special posted:

strange but I guess they're playing off of Primal's success, since this originally was just going to be on CN regular (and Max)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

He's so much better at comedy, where his own sense of drawn-out timing is used for effect as opposed to being boring.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The long drawn out moments where nobody says anything are the good part of Samurai Jack tho

Like the part everyone hates about Season 5 (the romance) is the opposite of that

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mycot posted:

Samurai Jack season 5 was my Game of Thrones ending. It made me so disillusioned with Genndy I never bothered with Primal.

Man, that really sucks. The animation in Primal is mind blowing and it has entire episodes where no one talks yet you'll always know what they are feeling.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watched the first episode of close enough s1. i say this as a fan of regular show, but drat, regular show was holding jq quintel (and his crew) BACK.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
i kind of felt the opposite tbh, quintel becomes alarmingly generic when he doesn't have those limits

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think Samurai Jack really suffered from Genndy having an ending planned out from the start and him sticking to it no matter what. Like the original plan was probably to have the romance be more drawn out and have them be closer in age. although that still wouldn't fix the problem of everything that Jack did in the series was mostly irrelevant because he changed the timeline and doomed billions of people if not more to non-existence

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Omelette, eggs. Anyone got a reupload of that unicorn thing? The tweet’s content got nuked.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess that's an interesting perspective on time travel.

Although if he got back, back to the past, Samurai Jack (watch out) would make the lives of all the ancestors of the future people better without Aku to ruin the Earth and destroy and steal the resources of aliens which is part of why the ended up on Earth as refugees.

I don't think season 5 was bad, but it sure was weird, and probably worse than most anything else Genndy could've cranked out with the same time and resources alotted to it. The original Samurai Jack series was good, but very obviously not intended to be going towards any particular conclusion. It wasn't narrative, and the later seasons kinda felt weaker as it sunk in how obviously none of Jack's journeys were really getting him anywhere, and some later episodes just ended up kinda weak.

And not the Genndy Tartakovsky show I would've liked to see continued, but I know that ship sailed long, long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The Scotsman's scene was enough to sell me on more Samurai Jack, ending be damned.