Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everything in the 10-40 window is the middle east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ok but africas still africa i hope

https://twitter.com/prashantrao/status/1639224934709833728

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mawarannahr posted:

not to gatekeep or anything but reminder that Afghanistan isnt in the Middle East

It's actually Turkey that's not it the Middle East. As per the US global command zones.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Turkey is in Europe and Afghanistan is in Asia, that's how it is in Twilight Struggle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OhFunny posted:

It's actually Turkey that's not it the Middle East. As per the US global command zones.

ait-approved divisions

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

the SACP is there lol.

how much power do they hold since someone murdered Hani? my conspiracy brain always thought him and Palme were Operations of a Secret Service, Concepts in Action

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OhFunny posted:

nobody has agreed on whether Turkey is European, Middle Eastern, Near Eastern (which might be the sane as Midfke Eastern according to some sources), or Asian. the only major point of agreement seems to be "they're not with us, maybe some other region."

since 2016 Turkey has been perma UTC+3, which is also Arabia Standard Time

this really pissed off the kemalists so it was a good move imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

uganda seems to have passed a law criminalizing lgbtq+ people, with some penalties including death

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-65034343

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

OhFunny posted:

wait centcom is a regional command? that should be illegal

mawarannahr posted:

btw using a "[]: [/]" wastes 3 characters over a [fixed][-/.] with no space. If Latin 1 is supported you could also use [·]. hosed up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Megamissen posted:

hmm I hosed up the formatting. we could make the thread title longer if we cease being wasteful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Megamissen posted:

they should use an early japanese world map and make east asia and the pacific centcom

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

uganda seems to have passed a law criminalizing lgbtq+ people, with some penalties including death

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-65034343

I thought they had already done this the last time the church of LDS went over

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1639392564959928320

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol owned, sorry the oil-theft dude died

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
what a shame

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/25/pro-iranian-forces-in-syria-warn-us-of-response-to-air-strikes

quote:

On Friday night, two Syrian opposition activist groups reported a new wave of US air attacks on eastern Syria, which hit positions of Iran-backed militias, after rockets were fired at bases in Syria housing US troops. Several US officials, however, denied that attacks were launched late on Friday.

US officials said two simultaneous attacks were launched against US forces in Syria on Friday. Officials said that, based on preliminary information, one US service member was injured in a rocket attack at the Conoco plant but was in stable condition. At about the same time, several drones were launched at Green Village, where US troops are also based.

All but one of the drones were shot down and there were no US injuries there, said the officials who spoke to the Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity.

Another round of drone and rocket attacks against US bases in Syria.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

mods rename to "GWB's Greater Middle East-who must go?"

btw using a "[]: " wastes 3 characters over a [-/.] with no space. If Latin 1 is supported you could also use [·]. hosed up

Including Georgia and not Ethiopia is a good bit. I thought Ethiopia was kept off for "being a Christian country," but Georgia is sitting right there.

According to Wikipedia there's more Somalis in Ethiopia than Georgians in Georgia.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ethiopia doesn't even touch the red sea anymore and hasn't for two generations

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1639069777623654400

what a chad

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
The chad Chad vs. the virgin Europe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1639717289086820352

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

According to Wikipedia there's more Somalis in Ethiopia than Georgians in Georgia.

There’s more Somalis in Ethiopia than Somalis in Somalia.

Future Coup leaders.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dawncloack posted:

The chad Chad vs. the virgin Europe

Which American government account is going to make a 'The Chad Virgin' meme on Twitter

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

not to gatekeep or anything but reminder that Afghanistan isnt in the Middle East

IMO it's in the subcontinent, eurasia and the middle east.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did you know that Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hundreds of thousands take to the streets after Netanyahu fires defense minister
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-26-2023/

O_O

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Hundreds of thousands take to the streets after Netanyahu fires defense minister

O_O

oh well, Im sure the US will continue funding them either way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dante80 posted:

O_O

https://twitter.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1640024756274569218

Bibi should get a peace prize if this ends up with Israel doing a complete 180º as a society lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that dude is wildly optimistic

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i say swears online posted:

that dude is wildly optimistic

yeah the shirty apartheid society is going to do a 180 just magically

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
why would an apartheid society ever magically decide to be human without being forced into it. these protests are about them getting their cut of the pie not out of any human concern for palestinians.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Heard NPR on the radio today and some NatSec ghoul was practically weeping live on air about how it wasn’t fair that China gives African nations loans with fair terms and without insidious conditions demanding the handover of all natural resource rights, destruction of all local industry, permanent military bases, and total privatization. Just the sheer concept of it was inconceivable and offensive to him. And the host even tried to help him frame it as bad for Africans by asking “Yes but surely the American loans create freedom loving rich countries unlike the evil Chinese loans?” and he couldn’t even say yes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Heard NPR on the radio today and some NatSec ghoul was practically weeping live on air about how it wasn’t fair that China gives African nations loans with fair terms and without insidious conditions demanding the handover of all natural resource rights, destruction of all local industry, permanent military bases, and total privatization. Just the sheer concept of it was inconceivable and offensive to him. And the host even tried to help him frame it as bad for Africans by asking “Yes but surely the American loans create freedom loving rich countries unlike the evil Chinese loans?” and he couldn’t even say yes.

surely we'll reverse course and start doing better very s-

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/26/kamala-harris-us-africa-relations-tour-00088889

quote:

“What that tells us about the growth, of opportunities, of innovation, possibilities — I see in all of that, great opportunity not only for people of this continent, but for people of the world,” Harris told the crowd of dignitaries, dancers, drummers and schoolchildren who had greeted her.

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Mar 27, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah hell

quote:

ACCRA, Ghana — For Vice President Kamala Harris’ first trip in office to Africa, the goal is nothing less than the resetting of relations between the United States and the countries she’s scheduled to visit.

Fearful that China has gained a huge economic foothold on the continent, the Biden administration is trying to not just loosen that grip but encourage more American businesses to invest in African nations.

Harris’ arrival Sunday marks the latest, most high-profile effort to achieve those ends. She is the fifth top Biden administration official to visit Africa this year: U.N. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen came in January, first lady Jill Biden visited in February and Secretary of State Antony Blinken made the trip earlier this month. President Joe Biden plans to visit later in the year.

In Ghana, Harris’ primary focus is on elevating the nation’s youth — and she noted the median age of Africans is 19.

“What that tells us about the growth, of opportunities, of innovation, possibilities — I see in all of that, great opportunity not only for people of this continent, but for people of the world,” Harris told the crowd of dignitaries, dancers, drummers and schoolchildren who had greeted her.

But Ghana isn’t her only audience. Harris also will spend time in Tanzania and Zambia over her seven days on the continent. She’ll hold bilateral meetings with the leaders of each of the three nations, visit Ghana’s Cape Coast slave castle and make announcements about public-private sector investments.

The trip is intended to help make good on the administration’s commitments from December at the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit.

But for Harris, the first Black U.S. vice president, it also carries especially high stakes. Her task will be to convince the African nations that the United States wants to truly invest in the future of the countries here and help change the narrative for Americans and encourage more business investments.

For decades, the perception of the U.S. has been that it treats African countries like charity cases, according to several regional experts. That was exacerbated during the Trump administration, which largely ignored the continent or reportedly disparaged it. Former President Donald Trump, in a 2018 meeting, referred to some African nations as “shithole countries.” At the same time, China enhanced its investments in Africa, helping to build roads and other infrastructure projects and creating firmer economic and political relations.

“Washington is playing catch up in Africa,” said Cameron Hudson, a senior associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ Africa Program. “With all of the business investment that the Chinese have made comes a lot of leverage and political influence in those countries. It’s not just that they’re making money there. It’s that they now have skin in the game in Africa in ways that we don’t. And that gives them leverage that we don’t have."

But experts say the Biden administration has an opportunity to now compete with China as more African leaders see their relationship with China as “a new form of exploitation,” said J. Peter Pham, the former special envoy for the Sahel region of Africa during the Trump administration.

“A lot of Africans have woken up to realize how often in these large construction projects, infrastructure … they don’t employ Africans. They even ship in their own labor oftentimes,” Pham said.

The Biden administration has tried to paint its Africa policy as one based in long-lasting relationships instead of a larger move to counter China and choke off economic support for Russia. But administration officials acknowledge that those global rivals do factor into their view of current U.S.-Africa policy.

“Obviously, we can’t ignore the current geopolitical moment.
It’s no secret that we are engaged in competition with China. And we’ve said very clearly we intend to outcompete China in the long term,” said a senior administration official who spoke on a call with reporters ahead of the trip.

Harris’ visit, the official added, is intended to prove that America has “an affirmative agenda” for the continent, one that will change the tenor of the relationship.

In her remarks to the African Leaders Summit in December, Harris previewed the message she’s expected to lean on over the next week: That the administration would create partnerships across the continent “grounded in candor, openness, inclusiveness, shared interests, and mutual benefits. And overall, our administration will be guided not by what we can do for Africa, but what we can do with Africa.”

Part of Harris’ task will be to shift how Americans view the continent from one that centers on civil war, human rights abuses and coup d’etats.

“American businesses do not see Africa in economic terms. They don’t see African countries as investment opportunities. It’s the first step to shift the rhetoric from a focus on corruption and human rights and security to business opportunities,” said Amaka Anku, who heads up the Africa practice at the Eurasia group.

“But I think that the challenge is not just convincing Africans that Africa’s economic transformation is in the American interest. It’s also convincing Americans. Otherwise it’s just rhetoric.”

To that point, Harris on Wednesday will announce continent-wide public and private sector investment opportunities aimed at the economic empowerment of women. She’ll also convene business and philanthropic leaders from African countries and the U.S. to “digital and financial inclusion on the continent,” meeting with creatives, including heading to a local music studio.

“I also look forward to meeting with entrepreneurs, and artists and students and farmers to witness firsthand the extraordinary innovation that is happening on this continent and inspiring the world,” Harris said during her welcome ceremony.

Experts say Harris isn’t going to erase decades of a lack of partnership with African countries in one week-long trip, the leaders on the continent are going to be watching for cues that the U.S. is more than just talk this time around. And the administration is running out of time.

“We’re going to quickly wear out our welcome, if we you know, and you know, these trips are great, but they’re enormously burdensome to the host countries. And we have processions of people coming in regularly and not one of them brings a real deal with them. After a while, it can get a little tiresome,” Pham said.

not in the article but i caught some of her speech and she said her goal is to "economically empower women and girls" which i assume means child labor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://todaynewsafrica.com/what-the-white-house-wants-you-to-know-about-vice-president-kamala-harris-trip-to-ghana-tanzania-and-zambia/

quote:

“On Thursday, in Tanzania, the Vice President will meet with President Samia. She will participate in a wreath-laying ceremony to commemorate the 1998 bombing of the U.S. Embassy there. And she will then meet with entrepreneurs at a tech incubator and co-working space in Dar.

aaaahahaha

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

if I was Chinese or Russian TV I’d be broadcasting Kamala touring some shop where people make another chat app with like direct food and infrastructure aid from serious capable people they’re giving

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in zambia she's going to demand that china restructure zambia's debt, and also for the sun to rise over the indian ocean

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

he is an American evangelical that loving covers all you need to know about him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

We understand that many African countries have a historical relationship with the USSR, which supported their liberation movements. And countries have current relationships with Russia. But we believe that it’s important to have a conversation to identify shared points of agreement, particularly on how to have a just end to this war and how to address the negative consequences and to stand up for shared principles as many of our African partners have done in the U.N. and in other bodies. And this is something that will almost certainly be raised in different bilateral meetings. So, thank you.

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Okay, I think we have time for one more question.

Q Some of the questions that I have have already been answered. So, I wanted to follow up. I was wondering, regarding the investment aspect of the — the business aspects of (inaudible). If you can talk about what the Vice President will focus on and if she’s bringing any American companies along. And if you can tell us some of the names of the companies that will go along with her.

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Thanks. You know, I already underscored that investment will be a major focus of the trip. You know, it’s what Africans want. And we think there are a lot of opportunities in different sectors to invest in.

There will be business representatives who play a role in and join the Vice President, but there’s nothing we can share with you in advance. But she will be meeting with private sector representatives. As I think we said in the opening, one of the things she’s focused on in her work all around the world, from Central America to East Asia to Southeast Asia and Europe, is partnership with the private sector. And that’s definitely going to play a role in her work on the continent of Africa. But we don’t have any specific company names to share with you in advance.

Q Okay —

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Okay, with that, that’s all the time we have this evening. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

“A lot of Africans have woken up to realize how often in these large construction projects, infrastructure … they don’t employ Africans. They even ship in their own labor oftentimes,” Pham said.

So you'll fund large infrastructure projects that employ Africans right?

... right?