Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

hypnophant posted:

what kind of pan? I can imagine this kind of results with carbon steel, or maybe even thin cast iron, but i’d be surprised to see it with a decent tri-ply or encapsulated pan

also fwiw i didn’t notice hot spots like that with carbon steel on a nuwave

Stainless frying pan, pretty thick bottom. I’m thinking maybe I would have had better results if I had waited longer? I just tossed the steak in once the oil was smoking slightly, I’ll have a look with the thermal imager next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Speaking of induction I recently got an induction wok burner and the one time I used it so far it was great. Might take a bit to suss out how much of that is me enjoying a proper round bottom wok for the first time though.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Do induction stovetops warp cookware more quickly than others? I got a full set of stainless/aluminum all clad pans a couple years ago and was hoping that I’ll never have to replace them. We’ve been really strict about always using a trivet, letting them cool completely before washing, and avoiding any other things that can cause warping. But I wouldn’t want an induction stovetop to make that all for not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

All-Clad is tough, and that heavy disk in the bottom keeps it from warping. I have some I've owned for twenty years, given no special care at all, and the bottoms are as flat as the day we bought them. And I do poo poo like putting tap water into a hot pan to get the leftover caramel out before it sticks .

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Boy I bought a few of the Oxo nonstick pans/pots that are recommended and am supremely disappointed. The lids all trap disgusting water in the edge and can't be cleaned. In fact one of them started bubbling THROUGH the lid while boiling a little water for some pasta.

They're nearly as bad as the Calphalon patented Sewage Trough (tm) in every Calphalon lid! Try it today! After one cook, it'll never be clean again, guaranteed!

Why is this so loving difficult?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rescue Toaster posted:

They're nearly as bad as the Calphalon patented Sewage Trough (tm) in every Calphalon lid! Try it today! After one cook, it'll never be clean again, guaranteed!
We just tossed our Calphalon because the "nonstick" is a Lie. (moved to smaller house in small town, local charity shops weren't taking donations)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Rescue Toaster posted:

Boy I bought a few of the Oxo nonstick pans/pots that are recommended and am supremely disappointed. The lids all trap disgusting water in the edge and can't be cleaned. In fact one of them started bubbling THROUGH the lid while boiling a little water for some pasta.

glass lids suck because of this and because they break. i will buy the pot with the stainless steel lid 100% of the time

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I don't think I've ever seen nonstick with a solid metal lid though. Maybe I can find some generic metal lids that would fit, I'll have to measure them exactly.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

Do induction stovetops warp cookware more quickly than others? I got a full set of stainless/aluminum all clad pans a couple years ago and was hoping that I’ll never have to replace them. We’ve been really strict about always using a trivet, letting them cool completely before washing, and avoiding any other things that can cause warping. But I wouldn’t want an induction stovetop to make that all for not.

I did nearly all my cooking on a single induction burner for a while and have an induction stovetop now. One carbon steel pan did warp, but the pan was too big for the burner and carbon steel is more prone to warping. My cast iron and all-clad stainless steel are just as flat as they always were. One anecdote isn't data, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you'd prefer being really, really sure, I've seen tests of how evenly induction stoves heat (in German and paywalled but ATK or someone probably did it in English).

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Other than that $1500 Breville, has there ever been any manufacturer that actually puts a decent sized induction coil in their stoves? Every picture I've seen of a flour heat test on induction is like a 5" circle in the middle of a 12" pan.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an induction burner on a real stovetop actually heating the whole pan, at any price. Even if you had 10,000 dollars to spend on a stove I don't know if you could buy one with an actual 10-12" coil for a full size pan.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Other than that $1500 Breville, has there ever been any manufacturer that actually puts a decent sized induction coil in their stoves? Every picture I've seen of a flour heat test on induction is like a 5" circle in the middle of a 12" pan.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an induction burner on a real stovetop actually heating the whole pan, at any price. Even if you had 10,000 dollars to spend on a stove I don't know if you could buy one with an actual 10-12" coil for a full size pan.

Most of them are 5-6”, yeah. I did some research for a home build a while back, and I did find one of the range options with either a 10” actual element in their big boiler burner slot with double the available wattage, then like a 7” and 2x5”.

On my phone now, but can check the build when I get back home if you’re interested.

Edit: I definitely remember it being over $4K for just the range though.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 21, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

All-Clad is tough, and that heavy disk in the bottom keeps it from warping. I have some I've owned for twenty years, given no special care at all, and the bottoms are as flat as the day we bought them. And I do poo poo like putting tap water into a hot pan to get the leftover caramel out before it sticks .

does allclad still make cookware with the disk in the bottom? I seem to remember that was a no-no.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 21, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

does allclad still make cookware with the disk in the bottom? I seem to remember that was a no-no.

I completely misremembered; the reason it's"All-Clad" is that the whole drat thing is clod.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
New gadget for sifting flour

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7202187937042205978

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this a vibrator and it's just causing the person's other hand to shake which is causing the sifting? On the first view I thought it was somehow blowing the flour through the strainer but I guess that doesn't make sense (it would get everywhere anyway)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes

Apparently it’s also good for vacuuming because it causes dust to levitate out of the carpet

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

mystes posted:

Is this a vibrator and it's just causing the person's other hand to shake which is causing the sifting? On the first view I thought it was somehow blowing the flour through the strainer but I guess that doesn't make sense (it would get everywhere anyway)

Yeah that’s a theragun knockoff, being used to vibrate flour through a sieve.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let's say you were tasked with replacing your entire pot & pan collection and had a reasonable budget with which to do so. What pot and/or pan quantity, measurements and materials would you be looking at? "Pot & pan" here can mean anything that is used to cook food on a stovetop.

E: gas stove

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Let's say you were tasked with replacing your entire pot & pan collection and had a reasonable budget with which to do so. What pot and/or pan quantity, measurements and materials would you be looking at? "Pot & pan" here can mean anything that is used to cook food on a stovetop.

Might want to specify induction or not although I'd guess most answers would be induction compatible anyways.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Clad/ply cookware is so close to disc bottom cookware in price and the performance floor is so high that it seems like there’s no reason to get anything else and little reason to spend a lot on premium brands. Clad/ply cookware technology is the great equalizer!

What is important IMO is:

1 getting an 8 quart pot
2 a 12 inch skillet.
3 flared lips for clean pouring
4 handles that you find comfortable

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

8 quart pot
1-2 quart pot
6 quart saute pan
10 inch skillet
6-8 inch nonstick

Edit: 3+ ply mostly from the thrift store. Amazon commercial makes a surprisingly good 8 quart pot. I think my nonstick is that brand too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rescue Toaster posted:

I got Calphalon’s very first line of tri-ply cookware and never noticed any trapped water?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

C-Euro posted:

Do you have a Marshall Homegoods nearby? I've had good luck finding decent triply stuff there at stupidly low prices. You might be able to pick up the basics for <$100 in a single trip.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Peep handles and lids. They matter a lot. I am happy with the Cuisinart? Set of tri and actually use all pieces.

Beyond that some carbon steel to eventually use with eggs and whatever.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Happiness Commando posted:

8 quart pot
1-2 quart pot
6 quart saute pan
10 inch skillet
6-8 inch nonstick

Edit: 3+ ply mostly from the thrift store. Amazon commercial makes a surprisingly good 8 quart pot. I think my nonstick is that brand too.

I'd agree with this, with some caveats:

8 Quart Pot/Also can be enameled dutch oven, which is multipurpose for oven use.
I think a little sauce pan (1-2l) is nice. Sauces, obv, but also for when I need to pickle like one jar of things, instant noodles, etc. The 1-2l pot serves similarly but having a handle is nice for pouring.
I don't think a nonstick is strictly necessary but appreciate the convenience. I use a carbon steel pan in lieu of even for eggs, does fine, but if you're fat conscious then probably not ideal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you get a Dutch oven, go big like I think the standard sizes are 5qt Vs 7qt and I batch cook a lot and am always cursing my 5qt

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

8 quart pot
1-2 quart pot
6 quart saute pan
10 inch skillet
6-8 inch nonstick

basically this. the bare minimum imo is a 6-8qt stainless pot, ~2qt stainless saucepan, 8-10 ish inch nonstick and tri-ply stainless skillets. I’d size these depending on how many people you regularly cook for - 8” for one, 10” for two, 12” for more than two. Tramontina makes nice nonstick and tri-ply for a reasonable price. Nonstick you ought to get new but stainless stuff, especially tri-ply, is nearly indestructible and I would have no hesitation getting it secondhand. It’s worth getting a tri-ply 2qt saucepan if you have the budget, but encapsulated would be fine if you want to save a few bucks. For the bigger pot, encapsulated is the way to go. If I were starting from scratch i’d budget around $200 for all of these, maybe less if I took the time to visit a few thrift markets.

after that it depends entirely what you want to cook. A cast iron skillet or griddle (lodge is the default rec), enameled dutch oven (lodge again) or carbon steel wok are useful and versatile. A big deep nonstick sauté pan is arguably the most useful for the way many people cook, and if you’re one of them, put this at the top of the list. A double boiler is a must for certain baking and dessert-making tasks, plus the very best special occasion scrambled eggs. It’s also probably worth mentioning some electric appliances here. Rice cooker, instant pot, air fryer (ideally the toaster oven format), sous vide stick, maybe even a microwave oven i guess. They’re not used on a stovetop, but they can replace a lot of tools you would otherwise use on a stovetop. After that you start getting into specially cookware, like your tagine or paella pan or whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the pointers, on closer examination we probably don't need to replace everything but there's a lot of redundancy and hand-me-downs in our arsenal that I wouldn't mind streamlining. I have a 12-inch tri-ply stainless steel pan (skillet?) that I've been using more and more in the last few months, but everything else is up for debate.

E: I think my wife is fixated on the idea of buying a 10+ piece set but I really don't want the extra clutter, is there a good 5-6 piece set that covers the aforementioned basics? I don't even mind if the price is comparable to a set with more pieces, so long as the quality is there to make up for the price point.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 27, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bought the Costco copper-core set for my mom a couple of years ago. It’s really nice and what I would buy if I was just starting from scratch. If there are too many pieces, that’s a much easier problem to solve than not enough. It’s definitely the nicest cookware set she’s ever had and that I’ve ever used, and I’ve been cooking in her kitchen for the last 20 years now.

Instead I’ve accumulated all of my all-clad D3 and D5 stuff from their factory seconds sales over the years. Really good deals on individual pieces. However, I think the Costco set would be even more cost-effective - I think I paid $200 or $250 for the 10 piece set for my mom, whereas that only gets a few pieces from the factory seconds sales.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Really really don't buy sets because different pot materials serve different purposes. You don't want an All-Clad Dutch oven. You don't want a Le Creuset skillet. And on and on.

Saucepans: either clad metal or cheap nonstick.

Stockpot: if you're using it for soups and boiling spaghetti , you can cheap out here. A thick bottom is very useful.

Dutch oven: either enameled cast iron, if you can afford it, or Pyrex.

Skillet: I am Church of Cast Iron. Buy a three piece set, use it for decades or generations. The tiny pan is good for toasting and melting butter. Will scratch induction stove.

Flame on!

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I like carbon steel pans for coming smooth from the factory and they won't scratch a induction/glass cooktop. Also if you're not in the US (I'm in Australia) the increased price for cast iron equalises the prices a bit. I have a couple of pans from here https://www.dartointernational.com/ (that I think I learned about in this thread?)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Counterpoint: having redundant pots and pans is awesome because you can cook several things at the same time for parties

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

think outside the box and go to antique shops or flea markets for your cast iron. the old stuff has a better surface finish and hopefully decades of seasoning.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have like four pots and pans. Storage is a massive pain. Only reason why we haven’t bought a giant rear end stock pot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
After neglecting it for a couple years I am playing around with my Spinzall again

Making butter with a centrifuge is great because you lose way less butter compared to cloth straining. A half gallon of cream now produces 6 cups of butter instead of 4-5 cups. The texture isn’t exactly the same, it’s a little crumbly, so I might combine churning to get texture and then centrifgate to strain

Been making yogurt for the first time to repurpose milk nearing its expiration date and it’s fun. I’m doing batches at 8, 24 and 48 hours to see the difference. Then I’m centrifugating a little of each to make labneh.

Greek yogurt seems to be in the middle from what I’m reading, so I might take a labneh and a yogurt and mix them to make Greek yogurt?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 28, 2023

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to pick up a new knife sharpener. Is the spyderco still the recommended manual sharpener? Is there a recommended electric sharpener?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Electric sharpeners should probably be avoided because they take too much metal off each time, shortening the life span of your knife

Spyderco is good but if it’s too pricey the knockoffs seem to work well too

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

think outside the box and go to antique shops or flea markets for your cast iron. the old stuff has a better surface finish and hopefully decades of seasoning.
poo poo's collectible now. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I see a bunch of griswolds on eBay for $40-80, which is high but not out of reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've got the Ken onion sharpener and I love it