Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Conditions at Sail Rock briefly got good, and it coincided with the trevally spawning.

I wish it was like this all the time.

e: Fixed broken links.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

Conditions at Sail Rock briefly got good, and it coincided with the trevally spawning.

I wish it was like this all the time.

e: Fixed broken links.

Incredible. I'll admit I can't help but be reminded of this post:

Trivia posted:

And camera-havers are, in general, the worst.

On a different note: great white diving off Guadalupe is banned by the Mexican government. The rationale is to protect habitat. I have heard a decent amount over the past couple of years about dove boats reporting illegal fishing, and I am seeing some commentary suggesting that poachers will benefit here.
https://www.beashark.team/guadalupe-closure-upates

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I stand by my quote lol

The photo was taken by another instructor. I actively discourage people from taking cameras (sshhh, don't tell my boss).

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

I stand by my quote lol

The photo was taken by another instructor. I actively discourage people from taking cameras (sshhh, don't tell my boss).

The vast majority of people diving with cameras shouldn't. I am one of the few exceptions, obviously

But I can't help but laugh at the "camera-havers are the worst" guy going "omg look at these awesome pictures!" ;-)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 6, 2023

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone have a recommendation for a discovery dive in Cabo Pulmo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Objurium posted:

I just completed Advanced Open Water over the weekend and shot some video in the kelp forests off of Catalina Island.

I'm still very much a babby when it comes to diving but it was cool to walk away from the class with an appreciable increase in my buoyancy and trim control and all that. Still plenty of room for improvement but it just makes me want to dive more.

Also Jesus Christ I think a dry suit is next after spending that much time in the winter Pacific 🥶

https://youtu.be/l1hHjY7-mno

:allears:

Dry suit and kelp forest diving is next on my diving agenda. Long term, I really wanna dive Alaska.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

There was a storm coming in so vis was garbage, but at least we got one dive in.

A few of the standard NorCal suspects. Nothing crazy but it's been a while since I did cold water evangelism.

Snubnose sculpin

Heart crab

Patch of Corynactis

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 12, 2023

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So I'm looking at finally buying my first reg/octo and bcd. It's tough because I'm not a tech diver so I don't know what features to look for other than "functions properly". The only complaints about the rental gear I've used in the past is when something was broken or I was weighted poorly. So that being said, how about the Cressi starter pack? I've used Cressi before and it was fine, and this seems like a reasonable price: https://www.divers-supply.com/cressi-scuba-system-package-2.html

Any advice welcome.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Are you looking for tech rated stuff specifically? Or just rec diving?

I'd get something lightweight. I think Cressi has a lot of lightweight options. The aqualung dimension i3 was a pretty lightweight bcd when I hefted it. I'd personally go for a hybrid wing style (I use an AL Rogue), as those don't have a heavy backplate.

I use a Aqualung Mikron reg and like them a lot. Though I'd be wary of AL products in general, I think they were bought out by an investment firm recently so RIP quality.

I recommend an equipment travel bag with wheels, and a separate mesh bag while you're on the boat (don't bring your travel bag on the boat, it's big and will corrode).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

I recommend an equipment travel bag with wheels, and a separate mesh bag while you're on the boat (don't bring your travel bag on the boat, it's big and will corrode).

Do you mean like a mesh duffel bag? I’ve a got small mesh bag for this use but it’s, yeah, too small.

For regs I have Apeks and they are great, think them and Scubapro are a safe bet.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Depends a lot on use case as well. If you're typically flying to diving destinations then a lightweight set is really worth investing in. Personally I'd recommend Scubapro or Apeks as well as brands that I've had good experience with in terms of reliability and also are common enough that you'll be able to find a repair place anywhere you're going to diving.

Haven't shopped for a BCD in over a decade so can't help you much but hybrid style ones seem pretty good. I've been exclusively wing and harness diving for a long time but I can see the appeal of having some pockets, only advice I can give is make sure the buckles are easy to locate and feel really solid. Integrated weights seem to be a pretty standard option but are pretty good for being able to spread your weight around rather than just having a heavy belt.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have one of these and I can fit an entire kit, including 3mm wetsuit, gloves, boots, DSMB, GoPro kit, and a few random accessories. Carried the entire thing and my Mares Avanti Quattro's in an overhead bin.

https://www.amazon.com/AKONA-Globetrotter-by-Akona/dp/B01M32S1J5

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So I'm looking at finally buying my first reg/octo and bcd. It's tough because I'm not a tech diver so I don't know what features to look for other than "functions properly". The only complaints about the rental gear I've used in the past is when something was broken or I was weighted poorly. So that being said, how about the Cressi starter pack? I've used Cressi before and it was fine, and this seems like a reasonable price: https://www.divers-supply.com/cressi-scuba-system-package-2.html

Any advice welcome.

Get poo poo from your local shop because they know how to service it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yes. One dive equipment specific suitcase for the actual travel portion, then a small mesh duffel style bag for carrying your gear onto the boat.

Don't bring the travel suitcase onto the boat, it's big and bulky and obnoxious.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there any con to getting a travel ready/lightweight kit as opposed to a "regular" bcd/reg setup? Maybe just price?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there any con to getting a travel ready/lightweight kit as opposed to a "regular" bcd/reg setup? Maybe just price?

My BCD (Hollis LTS) didn’t have a solid back plate, but could roll up smaller than a folded wetsuit and still had enough clips for everything I needed.

Con: the weight pockets are small (up to 5lbs apiece), so it’s only good for warm water destinations. Hollis even markets it as such. I had to get some extra weight pockets for the tank strap to dive even in California, and even then I had it fully maxed out diving in a 7mm semi-dry.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Lightweight also means more plastic parts, so greater chance of breakage, maybe?

That being said, I've yet to see any plastic d-rings snap, even on rentals.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say generally travel means more expensive, a bit less durable but for holiday diving (I'd say less than 30-50 dives a year) that's not really a concern. Only other thing that might be a problem is access to parts/repair when traveling if it's got really specific carbon fibre parts or similar. Otherwise you've got it that it's a higher entry price usually for more expensive materials/luxury seeming market.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So far I've been just renting all the equipment on the spot. But this time I discovered that prices for that vary wildly, sometimes it's negligible and other wanted like $40 for a day/two dives so that does make you reconsider paying your own poo poo + extra luggage if doing more than a few dives.

Sadly I ended up canceling the trip to Roatan I posted about earlier as the airline hosed with the connections to the point I'd be spending like 24 hours on planes or in airports. But I did a shorter trip to Egypt instead, and did my first boat dives at Ras Mohamed near Sharm El Sheikh. I guess it depends on who you book it with, but this boat was full of normies with families and kids that mostly just did snorkeling or beginner diving at like 1m so I ended up with my own private guy.

https://i.imgur.com/1fLWE4Y.mp4

The colors at depth really are a bummer though, not just for photos but also in person though it's not as bad. Do you guys carry lights for day dives as well?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Yup

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The colors at depth really are a bummer though, not just for photos but also in person though it's not as bad. Do you guys carry lights for day dives as well?

I always had lights for my camera.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Always more lights!

Not even only for photos: what about that little overhang there. And that hole, is that a shrimp barely looking out?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've got a canister light for UK diving that I will always take with me as a standard and a nice little backup torch on the harness. When I'm travelling I'll always bring that backup with me, light is a bit strong and focused for tropical diving but it's a good form factor and pretty small.

MMania
May 7, 2008
About to pull the trigger on a Shearwater Peregrine: I have 47-year old eyes, the rumble will let me ignore other divers' beeping, and wireless charging sound great. I'm never going to do anything technical and hate wearing watches so I don't think any of the more expensive computers would be an upgrade. Anyone have particularly good/bad experiences with either Shearwater or this particular computer?

And I have never taken a single picture in hundreds of dives, I just don't get it (I don't take pictures on land either).

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

MMania posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Shearwater Peregrine: I have 47-year old eyes, the rumble will let me ignore other divers' beeping, and wireless charging sound great. I'm never going to do anything technical and hate wearing watches so I don't think any of the more expensive computers would be an upgrade. Anyone have particularly good/bad experiences with either Shearwater or this particular computer?

And I have never taken a single picture in hundreds of dives, I just don't get it (I don't take pictures on land either).

I have a perdix and I love it. I only have a perdix because I am slowly trying to move technical and the peregrine wasn't out when I bought it.

I have friends that use it and love it.

MrNemo posted:

I've got a canister light for UK diving that I will always take with me as a standard and a nice little backup torch on the harness. When I'm travelling I'll always bring that backup with me, light is a bit strong and focused for tropical diving but it's a good form factor and pretty small.

I like having a bright light in the daytime in the tropics so I can get someone's attention if needed. I don't do it, it's more of an in-case-of-emergency thing, but gives me the warm fuzzies.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Everyone whom I've talked to said they love their Peregrine. I almost bought one but instead opted for a Geo 4 (I wanted the wristwatch).

Imagine my frustration when it turns out the Geo4 defaults to the Fly screen instead of the time piece. Swing and a loving miss, Oceanic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrNemo posted:

I've been exclusively wing and harness diving for a long time…

One of us. One of us. One of us.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MMania posted:

I have a perdix, it’s great. The shearwater app is fine.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Any FL divers here who've gotten a cavern (not cave!) certification? Florida has a number of dive sites, mostly springs or karst windows, with a cavern environment. Of course, go further and you're in a cave. I want to safely explore these places but I'm really not that interested in full cave. Cave diving, besides the expense and difficulty, is just beyond my threshold of risk. The cavern environment is more interesting to me anyway, since you can still see natural light.

I guess the question is if it's worth doing. The only place I know of that will check to see a cavern-specific certification is Ginnie Springs, to go in Devil's Eye. (the ballroom is open for OW divers, despite also being a cavern). Most cavern sites one can dive without a cavern-specific card, and many do (or they're cave diving). But, maybe a cavern certification would really teach me the skills I need to be as safe as possible in that environment. It's a gray area, much like a cavern itself. :haw:

Any thoughts on this? Hell, any goons want to dive caverns with me?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Any FL divers here who've gotten a cavern (not cave!) certification? Florida has a number of dive sites, mostly springs or karst windows, with a cavern environment. Of course, go further and you're in a cave. I want to safely explore these places but I'm really not that interested in full cave. Cave diving, besides the expense and difficulty, is just beyond my threshold of risk. The cavern environment is more interesting to me anyway, since you can still see natural light.

I guess the question is if it's worth doing. The only place I know of that will check to see a cavern-specific certification is Ginnie Springs, to go in Devil's Eye. (the ballroom is open for OW divers, despite also being a cavern). Most cavern sites one can dive without a cavern-specific card, and many do (or they're cave diving). But, maybe a cavern certification would really teach me the skills I need to be as safe as possible in that environment. It's a gray area, much like a cavern itself. :haw:

Any thoughts on this? Hell, any goons want to dive caverns with me?

I have friends who have, but I haven't. I dive to see the life, so caving doesn't scratch that itch for me. Technical diving maybe, but only to go see some life somewhere I can't get without it.

On that note, I got in the water today and realized I haven't posted pictures in a while. It was a beautiful California day topside, underwater it was not the greatest. A fuzzy 15' viz, 5'+ surge, and 49F water. But I saw some cool stuff and got in the water and saw some folks, so it's all a win.

A turban snail climbing over some feather duster worms

A moss head warbonnet. This was the find of the day, they're quite unusual (we're on the Southern end of their range), and they're normally buried in a hole so you can just see their face. This guy was lovely to see as I whipped by in the surge. I can get a much better view of him now than I could at the time.

Maroon snails have these psychedelic eyes

I remember diving with someone in the tropics who was super excited about telling me about skeleton shrimp and where to find them, with the same energy he'd use to talk about a spot where you can see mandarinfish spawning. It was adorable, and I didn't tell him we have them absolutely everywhere.

Pinto abalone side eye. I feel like this area is abalone central, they're less common both north and south of me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Picked up a new dive computer a Shearwater Peregrine sadly it won’t see the water for a while but it looks great and the interface is super easy to use.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

Picked up a new dive computer a Shearwater Peregrine sadly it won’t see the water for a while but it looks great and the interface is super easy to use.

Nice! Let us know how it goes. I think my next upgrade will be to a Shearwater, they seem very good.

I’ve done a few dives with the Zoop Novo now and find it harder to use than the original Zoop despite having more buttons!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the double post but I really need to get around to getting a pair of backup lights. Ideally they would be:

- GUE certified (hoping to do Fundies sometime in the future)
- not huge so they can sit on my chest d rings
- cheap

A general consensus seems to be the DX600 (swivel version) should be the way to go? I would need to import these so won’t be as cheap for me but still not too bad. Any other options?

I’m happy to go AliExpress but the options there seem to come and go and don’t seem that much cheaper than the DX lights anyway…

I plan to eventually get a pair of L&M lights to use with my GoPro which should double as primary lights when not taking the GoPro FYI.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry for the double post but I really need to get around to getting a pair of backup lights. Ideally they would be:

- cheap

A general consensus seems to be the DX600 (swivel version) should be the way to go? I would need to import these so won’t be as cheap for me but still not too bad. Any other options?

I’m happy to go AliExpress but the options there seem to come and go and don’t seem that much cheaper than the DX lights anyway…

I plan to eventually get a pair of L&M lights to use with my GoPro which should double as primary lights when not taking the GoPro FYI.

I use these:
Princeton Tec Impact XL Maxbright LED Flashlight https://a.co/d/8ph9RiW

They are cheap, small, fit very nicely on my harness straps, and I had them when I did my fundies tech upgrade and the only question the instructor asked was if I had rechargeable batteries in them (no is the right answer for backups).

You'll need some bolt snaps. I think I reused the cords they came with but can't recall.

They're twist to turn on, so you'll have to make sure they're unscrewed enough that water pressure doesn't turn them on, like any of that type. I mark them so I know how far out to go.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I want a drysuit so I can dive in my local (Seattle-area) waters. I am also very very fat. Any advice on drysuit brands for plus-sized people?

(I have been drysuit certified for a decade plus, just never actually owned one before.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Kesper North posted:

I want a drysuit so I can dive in my local (Seattle-area) waters. I am also very very fat. Any advice on drysuit brands for plus-sized people?

(I have been drysuit certified for a decade plus, just never actually owned one before.)

I used a Mobby’s 7mil custom in Seattle, no problems.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Kesper North posted:

I’m sure you already know this, but just in case…

Underwater Sports on Aurora has their big sale coming up in July, usually DUI and Apollo reps are there. The DUI rep does measurements for custom suits - I would recommend custom even if you didn’t have the plus sized concern.

Eight diving in Des Moines carries Santi suits. They’re a GUE shop but they’ve been helpful any time I’ve gone there to get a fill.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Any advice welcome.

I also have this exact question. I've been out of the water for 12 years and seeing a BCD, primary, secondary, and octopus all together for just over $1000 has got me thinking that just maybe I can afford to start diving again.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get poo poo from your local shop because they know how to service it.

According to this map: https://www.cressiusa.com/easypages/page.asp?pageid=37 there's a cressi dealer less than 80km from me. Assuming I'm covered in that department, has anyone used the cressi compact ac2? According to the website marketing:

quote:

https://www.cressiusa.com/Catalogue/CressiTech.asp?SchedaID=849&CategoriaCOD=001002 Simple piston 1st stage, a "work mule" that is affordable, simple, reliable and robust, suitable for intense use. This first stage is appreciated by dive centers and professional companies who consider it to be a very rentable tool, due to its low cost and practically nonexistent need for maintenance, as well as a surprising level of performance.
Durable and reliable are exactly the itches I aim to scratch. And I don't think I could I do worse than this price point: https://sporteque.ca/en/scuba-diving-kit/16696-25600-cressi-start-er-pro-package.html#/1423-size_clothing-medium

On the other hand:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cressi-XS-Compact-AC2-Regulator/dp/B00D2P0G2W?th=1#customerReviews

quote:

"Cressi is a good company with good products, I guess I got the one bad reg. I'm in Bonaire, on my fourth dive with my new regulator, at 70 feet and experience uncontrolled free flow. I switched to my octo ascended to 15ft, still could not stop free flow. Ran out of air during safety stop and had to use my buddies octo to surface. Unacceptable. I never leave negative reviews but when there is potential for loss of life I'm obligated to do so. Now I'm using a rental regulator, great. And Never dive without a buddy!"

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3NCV9WYX19Z3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0000DYQ6G#R3NCV9WYX19Z3F

quote:

"This regulator is good for the money, it delivers air but likes to free flow as soon as you take it out of your mouth. Breathes extremely wet if inverted, and when parallel to the surface looking up at the sky it's nearly impossible to breath from even at 5 feet. It is my first regulator out of OW training where I was using an Aqua Lung Legend, nowhere near as good as that but then again it was a third of the price so what can you expect. All regulators are required to supply air but how they do it is what makes one better than the other. I wouldn't trust my life to this regulator at anywhere under 80 feet where I was uncomfortable doing a CESA (Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent). Would be a great backup / pony bottle regulator and for me its a great starter regulator for the price. If you can afford to go with a better reg go for it, however you won't have any serious problems with this reg if taken care of.

Not going to lie, those amazon reviews are pretty scary. Is there a better intersection of common, popular, reliable and cheap?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DreadLlama posted:

I also have this exact question. I've been out of the water for 12 years and seeing a BCD, primary, secondary, and octopus all together for just over $1000 has got me thinking that just maybe I can afford to start diving again.

According to this map: https://www.cressiusa.com/easypages/page.asp?pageid=37 there's a cressi dealer less than 80km from me. Assuming I'm covered in that department, has anyone used the cressi compact ac2? According to the website marketing:

Durable and reliable are exactly the itches I aim to scratch. And I don't think I could I do worse than this price point: https://sporteque.ca/en/scuba-diving-kit/16696-25600-cressi-start-er-pro-package.html#/1423-size_clothing-medium

On the other hand:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cressi-XS-Compact-AC2-Regulator/dp/B00D2P0G2W?th=1#customerReviews

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3NCV9WYX19Z3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0000DYQ6G#R3NCV9WYX19Z3F

Not going to lie, those amazon reviews are pretty scary. Is there a better intersection of common, popular, reliable and cheap?

Do your local shops have ScubaPro stuff? They make really good gear and I’m pretty sure they are US based so should be easy to service. Otherwise see what your local shops use for their rental gear, they have to be reliable.

I had always heard Cressi made decent gear but regs failing on first use is not acceptable. Could just be that model though?

I use Apeks myself but they are UK based so maybe not as available in the US.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

- cheap

On the other side (expensive and awesome) are Heser backup lights:

https://heser-backup.de/shop/Dive-Lights/Heser-Backup-II-Edition::161.html?MODsid=0fdec62290a6ac0be815e53c827eeebd

I have a pair of Halcyon Scouts, this was ridiculous for me, and I love high end gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
That guy had a freeflow equipment malfunction and STILL did the safety stop??

If you want a cheap and reliable reg, go with an Aqualung Calypso. Very no-frills, but a durable workhorse that can be serviced practically anywhere.