Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

panko posted:

rust in piss to goko, because what dominion needed was to look extremely ugly, and avatars

at least let you pick a harem av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

sirtommygunn posted:

I cannot loving believe The Emerald Flame thinks these puzzles should be solved in about two to three hours. This poo poo is gonna take me all week just to complete the first set.

I haven't opened my copy yet, uh oh

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Viper915 posted:

I haven't opened my copy yet, uh oh

Ok so to be fair, I was stuck on one puzzle because i made a typo, but also this game is a big step up from The Light in the Mist difficulty-wise. I got two of the four starting puzzles done in 4 hours.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I ended up getting the Bloodborne game because my friend said he would emphatically play it with me, and also willing to paint them with me, so that was enough to spill the beans for me.

I looked through the box and, the quality of the minis is

They're honestly about the same level as first wave Star Wars Legion hard plastic models. They're not hollow so picking up the cleric beast is entirely too heavy for what it needs to be. They could be worse. I have the Cyberpunk 2077 board game preordered, which would technically have been my first CMON game, so if the quality is on par or better, I'll settle for it. It also makes me semi interested in the ASOIAF game of theirs....though, my friend was less interested in game of thrones than he was with bloodborne and dark souls (which he already has)

Skimming over the manual, the manual seems entirely readable; things are labeled clearly, sections are laid out step by step as it brings up a topic it explains fully each topic before moving on with pictures and red pointing arrows. Granted I skimmed it, so, once I actually work on it, maybe there is indeed something missing but it seems like the overall flow of the game would be fun, especially since it sounds like there are four campaigns and we'd be playing this, probably every other week, or painting it on some days or something.

In looking stuff up, it is kind of bullshit that whole expansions are kickstarter exclusive; models, hunters, campaigns, the base game does come with four campaigns and the...$240+S&H of the DLC expansions seems like it gives you four extra campaigns, quicker one hunt sessions w/ pvp, and adding minibosses to the campaigns. I have no idea of the replayability of campaigns, but between this, probably doing some 40k boarding actions/etc and age of sigmar, sounds like my weekends will be booked

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played another game of the MHW board game, this time with a friend. Rules teach was surprisingly easy and we were done in less than 2 hours, which is a definite plus for the game. The Great Jagras also went down really quite easily now, as I was paying attention to the behaviour deck tells and doing aggro pinball in order to make sure that either of us was prepared to take or dodge the blow from the monster. I played Greatsword and my friend played Bow and they complemented each other well, and both weapons were able to set up huge turns of damage.

The only comment from my friend was that the stamina didn’t exactly feel like MHW stamina (but I honestly feel that it works fine as it’s own conceit, so not a problem for me), that stamina clears too slowly, but I think it’s fine for balance purposes, and that the random time cards bonuses/maluses are too random, which I kind of agree with, but I think a little bit of spice in the turn order is fine and I feel it’s only a minor nitpick.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Played a few games for the first time in ages this weekend. I guess all three could be called Worker Placement games.

Tokaido is a game about taking a vacation while walking across Japan. The game has a chill theme, but it is quite luck-based and has a fair bit of take-that in the form of blocking others. It's The Great Race except you run to the inn to eat the only things your friend can afford so they go hungry. It's certainly a fine enough game, with the "Person in last takes the next turn" mechanic which is very interesting. If someone just gets luckier than you, or gets luck in the way of out-competing you on something, it can be a bummer. As I play it more, the lightness of the theme is slightly undermined by its randomness. I think next time I play, I think we won't keep scores until the end to keep it mysterious. It is very clever that the game is "stateful" where your score is fully on the board, so if you make a mistake you can just recount. It is kind of a bummer when you're losing. Also, it might help if I stop picking the worst character.

Yokohama is a game about merchants building up the fishing village of Yokohama at the start of the Meiji restoration. This is only my second play, but man this game rules. I think a big part of it is the fact that in a normal worker placement game, you will have one or two options on two axes: you can place a worker or a maybe "big worker" and you are either blocked or you are not blocked. In Yokohama, you can still be blocked from moving your president, but you're also taxed from placing your assistants. Blocking is key to worker placement games, but it's also not the most interesting thing. In Yokohama, the spaces are what are different. Each has 5 "power levels" it can be used at, rather than "2 rocks, 3 if your meeple with sunglasses" or whatever. If you go with 2 assistants, you get 3 power, but if you found a way to go with one more, you would get a greater reward and could construct a shop or trading house. The building will provide you 1 power, which means you need fewer assistants when you get back. If you can get 5, you get a little free bonus too. There is a big difference between 1-3 power, 4 power and 5 power. Some spots don't do anything with 1 or 2 power. Also, many spaces have other ways to get more out of them: the Church or the Docks or the Laboratory let you spend other resources to get more out of them, each in different ways. It's this massive web of choices. It's most compared to Istanbul (which I have not played), and there are some similarities but the assistants are less of a choke-chain than a capillary system of avenues. You can sprinkle a few assistants around down the line to support an action in a few turns. It can foretell your next move, but will your opponents bother to try and block you? This game is my sweet spot for complexity. Everything is interwoven, nothing feels tacked on, you are faced with hurdles but not roadblocks, and there are several different ways to get your hands on points. Man, I want to play this game again. It's on BGA but it's such a table hog I found it hard to actually play on there.

Flamecraft is a game about getting tiny artisan dragons to do cute poo poo. It looks like a pretty crowdfunding project, but it's surprisingly good. The worker placement is flowy, and the spaces continually change as dragons are added to give players additional options. There are also point scoring opportunities, but they also improve the board locations to increase the reward for visiting it. The bonus you get is being able to "fire" (activate) every dragon at a shop, so you can try and Enchant a shop to gain resources to Enchant a shop to gain resources etc. The abilities on the dragons are all good and useful and mostly varied (Iron and Diamond are similar), but the Potion dragons really change stuff up. When you fire one of them, that dragon swaps places with any other in a shop and you instead fire that one. This lets you get what you want if the places you want are blocked, or you can break up valuable locations or create valuable locations. It really does mix things up a bit and add a lot of freedom and just enough chaos. The way the board starts with the basic 6 locations and only starts to open up as those ones fill is interesting too, as the other locations are quite different. It's not going to blown anyone's mind, but it is a pleasurable gaming experience.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Yokohama is a game about merchants building up the fishing village of Yokohama at the start of the Meiji restoration. This is only my second play, but man this game rules. I think a big part of it is the fact that in a normal worker placement game, you will have one or two options on two axes: you can place a worker or a maybe "big worker" and you are either blocked or you are not blocked. In Yokohama, you can still be blocked from moving your president, but you're also taxed from placing your assistants. Blocking is key to worker placement games, but it's also not the most interesting thing. In Yokohama, the spaces are what are different. Each has 5 "power levels" it can be used at, rather than "2 rocks, 3 if your meeple with sunglasses" or whatever. If you go with 2 assistants, you get 3 power, but if you found a way to go with one more, you would get a greater reward and could construct a shop or trading house. The building will provide you 1 power, which means you need fewer assistants when you get back. If you can get 5, you get a little free bonus too. There is a big difference between 1-3 power, 4 power and 5 power. Some spots don't do anything with 1 or 2 power. Also, many spaces have other ways to get more out of them: the Church or the Docks or the Laboratory let you spend other resources to get more out of them, each in different ways. It's this massive web of choices. It's most compared to Istanbul (which I have not played), and there are some similarities but the assistants are less of a choke-chain than a capillary system of avenues. You can sprinkle a few assistants around down the line to support an action in a few turns. It can foretell your next move, but will your opponents bother to try and block you? This game is my sweet spot for complexity. Everything is interwoven, nothing feels tacked on, you are faced with hurdles but not roadblocks, and there are several different ways to get your hands on points. Man, I want to play this game again. It's on BGA but it's such a table hog I found it hard to actually play on there.

Yokahama is a really great game. It really tackles head on the problem that a lot of worker placement games have, either 1 action is just better than other actions or you need to be really good at reading everyone elses board state to workout what actions they're going to take. Because you can see what everyone else can do you can read the complete board state pretty easily.

Theres maybe a hint of too much going on with the church board etc but even then its a quality game. Underrated.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yokohama is super good, yeah. I'm real bad at it, but it's very good.

Flamecraft, though, I thought was godawful. No decision I made felt like it was done with any real measure of strategy, nor would it if I ever played it again. And the market row! And the recipe fulfilment which felt like it should be the focus of the game was actually a sideshow.

I dunno, I really, really disliked Flamecraft. The dragon art was pretty.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

It is almost certainly not very strategic since each goal is small and atomic and the only way you grow individually are goods (Bread, Diamonds, etc) and goals (Fancy Dragons). There is no Splendor-like discounts or special abilities to buy. It could be tactical in the immediate sense of getting to an enchantment before someone else to gently caress them, but that is essentially it. The locations are never blocked, but if you visit a location with another player, you just have to give them a good. A single good is typically less meaningful to giving someone a Yen in Yokohama, for instance.

Getting Fancy Dragons is somewhat like getting the endangered birds in Wingspan to draw 2 new goals and pick one. The main difference is that there are 6 spots on which to get new Fancy Dragons at setup and the rest is random based on buildings which are doled out slowly through the game. One issue is each starting space for a Fancy Dragon accepts only 1 type of Artisan Dragon, and each player starts with 3. Someone can beat you to the dragon spot you wanted due to player order, and now they have another goal and you don't. That's kind of a bummer. I only drew 2 goals, and got beat by about 20, but then again most goals max at about 6, so that isn't entirely why I lost. On the other hand, in Wingspan, they are just in the deck so they may or may not show up and go into the market or are drawn randomly, so it's equally mitigated as anything else in that game. There are also many more ways to get points than these secret objectives (eggs, tucked cards, cached food, birds, end-of-round goals, etc.)

Maybe I will tire of it after a few more plays, but I can't deny that I have enjoyed it so far. Wingspan is a much better game for a whole bunch of reasons, but I would still play Flamecraft over Terraforming Mars for being 1/2 to 1/3 the length.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I think you've hit on the main reason I don't like it; you named two other games, one I know I strongly dislike, one I haven't played (wingspan) but nothing about it has made me want to try it. Maybe it's just that style of game I dislike.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Played a few games for the first time in ages this weekend. I guess all three could be called Worker Placement games.

Tokaido is a game about taking a vacation while walking across Japan. The game has a chill theme, but it is quite luck-based and has a fair bit of take-that in the form of blocking others. It's The Great Race except you run to the inn to eat the only things your friend can afford so they go hungry. It's certainly a fine enough game, with the "Person in last takes the next turn" mechanic which is very interesting. If someone just gets luckier than you, or gets luck in the way of out-competing you on something, it can be a bummer. As I play it more, the lightness of the theme is slightly undermined by its randomness. I think next time I play, I think we won't keep scores until the end to keep it mysterious. It is very clever that the game is "stateful" where your score is fully on the board, so if you make a mistake you can just recount. It is kind of a bummer when you're losing. Also, it might help if I stop picking the worst character.

Tokaido without its expansions is barely a game - there's virtually never a choice that is better than just moving to the nearest available location. With them you get more options and ways to mitigate chance, so it becomes a pleasant, light experience. I don't mind playing it.

I started a new game of Hoplomachus Victorum and am currently halfway through Act II. It's starting to get tough and very thinky. In Act I I could generally pound whatever I faced; I had to use a Blessing to heal in an early deathmatch before I got my team together, but I only spectated maybe once. Now I'm facing tougher fights, and on top of that I have a set of hero powers that actually encourage me to spectate more. I'm playing Bingqing and now can sacrifice a unit before each fight to gain its HP on my hero; when I spectate I have a chance to replenish my tactic chips or recruit a unit from the bag; and I only ever gain 1 Scion Influence for spectating instead of an amount equal to the Act number. So I now have to plan my route based on how many times I'm deliberately going to take hero damage in order to cycle my units out.

I'm also about to take on a 4v4 deathmatch where the enemy units roll an extra weak die for each HP they have but my hero deals extra damage to them. I'm as strong as I'll ever get, but it's risky. I also have to decide whether I want to take it on in Atlantis or Lamosia. If I fight in Atlantis my route gets a bit easier but the fight itself will be brutal - the local hero is a Tactician, so he'll pick up the Trident on turn 1 and throw it for 3 damage on turn 2 while I can't kill him on turn 1. I can drop a Tactician first and stun him, but that doesn't help me on turn 2 and I'll probably lose the Tactician. If I fight in Lamosia my route is tougher, only giving me the ability to spectate twice unless I want to pass up weeks of the Act and lose hero upgrades. There's an alternative route that takes me to a Sport event first. But if I take that on, I will have defeated the last Lamosian local hero and that means I'll face random units from the bag. This is both good and bad; I'll have less information on what I'm going to face, but the enemy team is less likely to get the benefits of having a local hero.

Overall verdict: I think it's a bit too long, although you can easily save state between Acts and an individual Act feels like playing a complete game. If it was a computer game I'd play it to death.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

Tokaido without its expansions is barely a game - there's virtually never a choice that is better than just moving to the nearest available location. With them you get more options and ways to mitigate chance, so it becomes a pleasant, light experience. I don't mind playing it.

I'm not familiar with the expansions. Care to elaborate?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I'm not familiar with the expansions. Care to elaborate?

Crossroads adds a second option at each type of node. Art lets you paint cherry trees for money; the shops let you buy one of three types of super-souvenir; you can gamble at the farms for more money but with a risk of losing; the temples sell amulets that give you a one-shot special power; baths let you pay for a more expensive and better scoring experience; and encounters let you pick up end game goals.

Matsuri is even smaller, being just a deck of cards representing festivals you encounter on the way. Each one lasts through the next section of the journey and alters the rules in some way - closing temples, allowing an extra person to occupy a single-space node, and so on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I've been looking for a new in-person board game group, my current one only wants to meet for a few hours every few months now and we differ quite a bit on what we like to play (it took a year to get them to even try Railroad Ink once, I've brought Feast for Odin for 3+ years now and still no bites). I see a bunch of meet up groups locally, has anyone had luck with those? As much as I like playing board games the community is not the most pleasant at times.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I played Orléans for the first time yesterday. (I missed out on a lot of Euros in my gaming history.) For those who don't know the game, it's worker placement, you start with four basic workers, and about half the actions you can perform use 2-3 basic workers and give you both a new worker and some new incremental benefit.

I'm not sure I'm sold on it as a game because I'm not a huge fan of the system knowledge required to play (knowing which buildings to build at what points in the game) and the randomness of the draw (which I realize is mitigated by "thinning your deck" by sending workers off to the special task board, whatever it's called, and by getting more knights, which gives you more draw). I'll play it again, as I can see why people like it, but I think I need a play or two more to be sure of it one way or another.

I definitely could have done a better job of thinning, though. I kept needing workers I could have thinned, and then when the game ran short, most of the special task board spaces were already full.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

socialsecurity posted:

So I've been looking for a new in-person board game group, my current one only wants to meet for a few hours every few months now and we differ quite a bit on what we like to play (it took a year to get them to even try Railroad Ink once, I've brought Feast for Odin for 3+ years now and still no bites). I see a bunch of meet up groups locally, has anyone had luck with those? As much as I like playing board games the community is not the most pleasant at times.

Double posting because I couldn't keep your quote in memory in the app to edit my post. I have fantastic luck with Meetup and gaming in Seattle. Only very rarely is there someone who's a bit weird or unpleasant or who just doesn't get the game after it's been explained six times.

Oh poo poo. Statistically, that means I'm the weirdo with terrible BO who creeps on all the women who play and eats his boogers right before touching the host's game pieces. (Can you blame me? Have you seen the game cafe's prices for food?)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

This sold me. But the game is out of print and sells on eBay for like $250? Ugh :saddowns:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

socialsecurity posted:

There's like one guy out of 20 people at the gaming cafe that sucks tremendously. It's a good time to practice communication skills like boundary setting and firmness without rudeness. Sorry, but a big problem these days is people are overly non-confrontational.

Well, I'm still working on getting the lone guy to not be an incredible energy-suck. Making progress slowly.

Just go, you can handle it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

socialsecurity posted:

Accept that you will have to make concessions on both the games played and the people you play them with until you make some friends that you like as people and have similar taste in games. I ended up with a group of friends that have opposite taste in games and a group of people I play really great games with but wouldn't hang out with outside of that.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Jewmanji posted:

This sold me. But the game is out of print and sells on eBay for like $250? Ugh :saddowns:

Wow, I managed to pick up an unopened deluxe copy (that I have still to play) for £50 from a guy on a facebook group last month. Didn't realise how much of a bargain it was.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bottom Liner posted:

Accept that you will have to make concessions on both the games played and the people you play them with until you make some friends that you like as people and have similar taste in games. I ended up with a group of friends that have opposite taste in games and a group of people I play really great games with but wouldn't hang out with outside of that.

Depending on how organized things are (and of course the player base) this can also be an opportunity to step up and host the games you want to play. The reason why I've been playing so many Euros lately is because the guy who schedules most of the Meetups at my closest FLGS is a big Euro fan and, in his words, he schedules the games he wants so 1) there's no wasted time over "what do you want to play tonight" and 2) they're always games he likes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

I played Orléans for the first time yesterday. (I missed out on a lot of Euros in my gaming history.) For those who don't know the game, it's worker placement, you start with four basic workers, and about half the actions you can perform use 2-3 basic workers and give you both a new worker and some new incremental benefit.

I'm not sure I'm sold on it as a game because I'm not a huge fan of the system knowledge required to play (knowing which buildings to build at what points in the game) and the randomness of the draw (which I realize is mitigated by "thinning your deck" by sending workers off to the special task board, whatever it's called, and by getting more knights, which gives you more draw). I'll play it again, as I can see why people like it, but I think I need a play or two more to be sure of it one way or another.

I definitely could have done a better job of thinning, though. I kept needing workers I could have thinned, and then when the game ran short, most of the special task board spaces were already full.

Buildings aren't really a depth problem in Orleans. You need to build a I before a II, and you can look at them to figure out what supports your plan best. If you want to monopolise goods or rush Development then there are certain buildings that you need and you'll go for them first and fast, otherwise you generally build for a few extra cheap moves.

The Trade and Intrigue expansion solves all your problems. Because you can't card count events you want to pick a strategy early and push it, and the Beneficial Deeds board is much more appealing to any strategy (which also helps with thinning). I've sometimes ended a game pulling the same eight followers every turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
With the caveat that I'm a white man, I've found most meetups very enjoyable. I want to play games, a lot of people bring games they want played, there's very little friction there. You won't like everyone. AP, BO, the wrong sense of humour... But very few people are so intolerable that I can't stomach them for the 2 hours or so it takes to get to the end. I go to enough meet ups that I don't view it as ruining a rare chance to play a game, it's a learning experience: I know a new guy to avoid.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned that. TMG went ceased operations a while back. I lucked out and found a copy when the company's death was simply rumors. This game is popular enough that I have to imagine someone will publish it again some day. As I said, it is on BGA for free (not even Premium) if you want to get a taste.

edit: Link to the story of the TMG closure: https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/tasty-minstrel-games/news/tasty-minstrel-games-virtual-bankruptcy

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 26, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned that. TMG went ceased operations a while back. I lucked out and found a copy when the company's death was simply rumors. This game is popular enough that I have to imagine someone will publish it again some day. As I said, it is on BGA for free (not even Premium) if you want to get a taste.

Oh huh, I had been thinking of Dungeon Roll and Eminent Domain by them for a while

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I started the campaign for MHW and there's good and bad:

The weapons I chose were the Gunlance and Hammer. Gunlance's gimmick is that it has shells that it can flip to do extra damage, but it needs to reload (either by sharpening or using a card) in order to get those shells back. It does lead you to sharpen a little bit more than most other weapons, but it felt good and it has one in-built armour on its weapon, along with some attacks that allow it to get even more armour. Overall it seem decent. Hammer is cool and now that I know how to play the game, I feel that it is quite powerful although it needs to have someone draw aggro away from it to really go silly with it.

I did two hunts against Great Jagras, one of them the initial quest and the other an investigation with a slightly more difficult Jagras. They were both nail-bitingly close, and I am generally getting better at not dying in the game, which is good. I also did a hunt with the Kulu-Ya-Ku from the expanion since I wanted some variety, and I enjoyed it although I was pretty geared up by the time I faced it, so it didn't feel as difficult.

I've managed to craft some weapon: at first glance it looks like there's a bit too many materials that you need to get anything, but then I noticed that there is basically free trade in meterials and gear between characters, which means that it's definitely needed to trade between each other in order to push each hunter up. I've now got at least 1 armour in each of the three gear slot, which means that taking hits instead of dodging all of the time is now a viable tactic, and I also got a couple of really useful abilities as well: for example, the Jagras chest piece allows you once per hunt to do support actions (sharpening/taking potions/etc) as well as attack in a single turn. This really does help you keep up the tempo and do more damage while still being survivable. As well as that, I managed to upgrade the hammer, which has now a much better damage deck and a couple of upgraded cards for the attack deck.

The CYOA parts of the game are relatively good and I've been enjoying them, although gathering materials should probably be your focus.

The bad is that I am starting to actively dislike some of the card events in the time deck. The main culprits are three cards:

- Rampage: This one makes the activation on the next behaviour go to 0. It kind of ruins the tempo of the game when you get this one, and you basically can't act, especially if the card has 2 or 3 activations. You can die on this card because you aren't able to refresh your stamina, and it's kind of out of your control.
- Roar: Roll a d6, discard that many time cards. Decks have 30-35 time cards. Losing 6 time cards is bullshit. Losing time like this is not something I can control or react to. If you have 6 cards left on the time deck and you are in the cusp of killing a monster and then you get this card, it's bullshit. Might take it out of the deck/rip it apart or just make it d6/2, round up.
- Monster Retreat: Discard 4 time cards, you can sharpen/use potions for free. Not as bad as Roar I guess but you can still lose game because of it and it's not something you can control for.

The random roll cards that have 1-3: something bad happens to the monster and 4-6 something bad happens to the monster are relatively fine although I don't like that sort of randomness, but at least you can somewhat take them into account and react to them later.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the game even considering my criticism above and I feel there is an interesting level of strategy/tactics involved with the combat: it's mostly about playing aggro pinball and positioning your hunters, but now I know things like, for example, that directly behind the Jagras is a relatively safe position, so having one hunter in front and one behind will usually mean that only one huner will get hit. For Kulu-Ya-Ku, you can sort of do the same but the monster has a couple of back-blows that make this kind of strategy potentially risky. Interested to see what the other monsters are like.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey folks I posted a new thread about curating what board games you think should be forever preserved and how.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028050&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
So, Spirit Island. Once people have moved onto branch and claw content (events and tokens), do you generally *always* use that content? I’ve played dozens of games of the base game, even though I own all of the expansions and have yet to try any of them.

The modularity of the game is kind of overwhelming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

snickles posted:

So, Spirit Island. Once people have moved onto branch and claw content (events and tokens), do you generally *always* use that content?

Unless I'm teaching new players, yeah.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Wrong thread!

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 27, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Wrong thread!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

snickles posted:

So, Spirit Island. Once people have moved onto branch and claw content (events and tokens), do you generally *always* use that content? I’ve played dozens of games of the base game, even though I own all of the expansions and have yet to try any of them.

Yeah. I'm iffy on events. They tend to either do nothing or blow all my planning apart even when they "help". That said, I haven't tried playing without them yet and might just always use them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

snickles posted:

I find it too much of a pain to sort all the expansion cards out of all the decks (and I wouldn't really want to give up the fun stuff anyhow) so yeah, at least with the physical game it's been all expansions all the time for me. FWIW I do think the base game holds up quite well in its own way, so having a convenient way to play it is one of the things I like the Handelabra app for.

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah. I'm iffy on events. They tend to either do nothing or blow all my planning apart even when they "help". That said, I haven't tried playing without them yet and might just always use them.

I was very disappointed in events (and to some extent Branch & Claw in general) when I first started playing with expansions but once Jagged Earth gets into the mix I think it helps smooth out a lot of the bumps, both in events and power decks.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mostly I like events because base game enemy phase just gets too samey once you've played for a bit. The events keep you a little off balance and incentivize a less rigid gameplan, it's great.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Played a session of Escape the Dark Sector

It took a while to wrap my head around it, it certainly wouldn't have been a game that would have been quick to spin up with friends, but if I can play it a few times it may be better because then I can skip having to flip back and forth through the manual to go "what do I do here? :thunk:" which tends to cause frustration with my usual gaming group.

Anyways, it's a very thematic dungeon romp, not as desolate as Desolate (hah), but the game really doesn't like the player; every single action is somewhat hostile to the player, from certain dice having a high likelihood for damage to be returned to the player, in order to do damage (or even to avoid damage), to simply flipping over the next chapter of the story and being ambushed and taking damage. Healing items are rare, damage mitigation is rarer, and even getting the aforementioned items usually means interacting with combat or trying highly unlikely dice rolls; high risk, medium rewards.

I'm not yet sure how much I actually enjoy it, but I think so far I enjoy it enough to keep on the shelf and pick at it here and there.

I'm thinking to other games I've played and I remember liking Istanbul, but that's not really a solo game, but I'm thinking, what if there is a game with mechanics like those, but single player? Maybe like a board game that's like Anno or Animal Crossing? Chill, relaxing, minimal to no combat, has some complexity in terms of you always have tons of stuff to do, but still tactical; you need to do certain things in the right way in order for them to happen but there's no fail state if you don't, just the time taken for efficiency

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

LifeLynx posted:

Man, I had this incredible solo game the other day. It was as Shifting Memory of Ages, against Level 2 Austria, who build double-towns in situations where they would normally build cities. Since I had destroyed their starting city, and they couldn't replace it, I was on-track for a Terror-level 3 victory... and then they got Urbanisation, and each of their four-town spaces suddenly became 2-city-2-town. I still got through it, because of that ridiculous black-hole major power, but it came within 1 blight of death.

Anyway, I have never de-integrated any expansion stuff from Spirit. It's just too much work.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh huh, I had been thinking of Dungeon Roll and Eminent Domain by them for a while

Eminent Domain has been picked up by Rio Grande Games, who are planning to reprint it later this year:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3049121/expansion-announced-2023

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Viper915 posted:

Eminent Domain has been picked up by Rio Grande Games, who are planning to reprint it later this year:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3049121/expansion-announced-2023

I hope they remedy the lovely art on the final expansion

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What was that tech-tree boardgame that came out recently? Was it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

What was that tech-tree boardgame that came out recently? Was it any good?

Beyond the Sun? I love it, but I’m also a sucker for any sort of tech tree in any game.