Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Answers Me posted:

Was it his experience in WWE that gave CM Punk a massive chip on his shoulder and made him paranoid that the whole world was against him, or has he always been like this?

This is pretty standard behavior for most loud and proud straightedge guys. Almost every guy I’ve known with a straightedge tattoo is a massively delusional dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Timby posted:

Punk is a shithead liar, always has been. (He fabricated his MRSA story and stuff about his father, for example.)

Uhhh source? I only knew of the MRSA stuff from the Art of Wrestling Podcast he did.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought the only opposing viewpoint on the MRSA thing was the slow-mo rear end video showing a lack of baseball sized lump or however big he claimed it was.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is pretty standard behavior for most loud and proud straightedge guys. Almost every guy I’ve known with a straightedge tattoo is a massively delusional dickhead.

This is also very accurate RE: straight edge lifestyle weirdos. Making your whole life about how you don’t drink and do drugs breaks your brain worse than most drink and drugs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sXe boy

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Sting is 64 years old and still able to, within reason, wrestle decent length matches with a moderate workrate. Who is the oldest wrestler who is still able to work at this level without it being immediately obvious that they're largely immobile?

Depending on your definition The Sheik was wrestling until his late 60's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mil Mascaras is another obvious example of a guy who kept going well into his 60s and then sparingly in his 70s, he even still jumped off stuff.

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1097855733419393024?lang=ar-x-fm

(Top rope moves were VERY rare at that point though!)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Doesn't Darby Allin have "DRUG FREE" on his hands like Punk? (Not that Darby doesn't have his own issues, but "delusional" doesn't really seem right.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think every straight edge person just had a really rough August of 2022. My best friend at the time lashed out at me at the same time Punk had his little meltdown everyone keeps harping on for some strange reason and I have a feeling she'll come around a few weeks after CM Punk returns and makes The Blackpool Wrestling Club his own.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is also very accurate RE: straight edge lifestyle weirdos. Making your whole life about how you don’t drink and do drugs breaks your brain worse than most drink and drugs.

It's true - way too many straight edge people have no idea how to enjoy anything, which isn't a trait that ages well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. I dated a straight-edge woman in college and went to a lot of hardcore shows. Just because they don't destroy their bodies and minds with drugs doesn't mean they can't enjoy black t-shirts, tan cargo shorts, slip-on shoes, white tube socks, dancing like Ian Curtis, crying like Morrissey, and hitting women in the mosh pit.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. I dated a straight-edge woman in college and went to a lot of hardcore shows. Just because they don't destroy their bodies and minds with drugs doesn't mean they can't enjoy black t-shirts, tan cargo shorts, slip-on shoes, white tube socks, dancing like Ian Curtis, crying like Morrissey, and hitting women in the mosh pit.

Don't forget doing steroids, which somehow don't count as drugs. Slip-on shoes are legit though, tying laces is for suckers.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always just though Punk was a little abrasive, opinionated and hard to work with, like an Edward Norton type. After everything in aew obviously it's a little deeper.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CellBlock posted:

Doesn't Darby Allin have "DRUG FREE" on his hands like Punk? (Not that Darby doesn't have his own issues, but "delusional" doesn't really seem right.)

In my experience there's this delusional attitude of being better than everyone else because they're straight edge, everyone else is dumber than they are, etc. etc.

It's like a baseline level of elitism and delusion because they make themselves out to be the only people with properly working brains on the planet. Obviously YMMV with that, but when someone's main character or personality trait is "I'M STRAIGHT EDGE", it's a big red flag. Darby doesn't seem like he makes that his whole personality, and there are plenty of straightedge people who are straightedge but not loud or pushy about it (I'm one!).

It's a similar thing with vegan or vegetarian people who need to remind everyone at every turn that they're vegan or vegetarian. I've known lots of those too (the vegan straightedge combo is exhausting) and they all suck. But again, there are plenty of vegan or vegetarian people who aren't assholes about it (I'm one!).

There are a lot of annoying archetypes in punk/hardcore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pro wrestling and pro sports kind of instill that attitude. You have to have an incredible individualistic drive to succeed, often in the face of a bunch of people saying you'll never make it, which Punk obviously has. It's hard to power through that, become rich and famous, and not develop the attitude that your poo poo doesn't stink and everyone who disagrees with you is a moron or has something against you personally. It's why these guys spend their lives getting hosed over and exploited by billionaires and hundredmillionaires and become libertarians anyway.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Darby’s whole personality is watched a lot of Jackass and likes Halloween

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

Darby’s whole personality is watched a lot of Jackass and likes Halloween

Cmon now, he’s also at least 30% film school dropout

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

. Darby doesn't seem like he makes that his whole personality, and there are plenty of straightedge people who are straightedge but not loud or pushy about it (I'm one!).

I would like to say that darby shouldn't count as straight edge.

I mean sure he doesn't do outside drugs, but I have to assume the man has an evolutionary advantage where his stupid rear end stunts cause him an adrenaline and serotonin high the likes of which modern pharmacology couldn't reproduce.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Defenestrategy posted:

I would like to say that darby shouldn't count as straight edge.

I mean sure he doesn't do outside drugs, but I have to assume the man has an evolutionary advantage where his stupid rear end stunts cause him an adrenaline and serotonin high the likes of which modern pharmacology couldn't reproduce.

I think it's the opposite. There was some study done on F1 drivers years ago and they just don't get the same adrenalin rush as other people. Which is what allows them to do stupid poo poo, nothing in their body is telling them, "This is stupid." And then this may play into them doing even stupider poo poo because they want their body to sometimes feel like it's doing stupid poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always just though Punk was a little abrasive, opinionated and hard to work with, like an Edward Norton type. After everything in aew obviously it's a little deeper.

Punk reminds me of one of the best lines uttered on television: "You run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. You run into assholes all day - you’re the rear end in a top hat."

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Wrong thread

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mrenda posted:

I think it's the opposite. There was some study done on F1 drivers years ago and they just don't get the same adrenalin rush as other people. Which is what allows them to do stupid poo poo, nothing in their body is telling them, "This is stupid." And then this may play into them doing even stupider poo poo because they want their body to sometimes feel like it's doing stupid poo poo.
As someone who is pretty sure he has never had an adrenaline rush and is also basically straightedge this page is really getting to me

I think the only reason I escaped being an insufferable rear end in a top hat was because I never understood why coffee counted as a drug when it has no noticeable effect on me, personally, but obviously by drinking coffee even occasionally I instantly no longer qualified as straightedge and thus could gain no benefit from identifying as such

Edit: poo poo this would be a good time to remember that wresling question that does not deserve its own thread that keeps popping into my head in the morning and always disappears by the time it matters

I think I already asked why WWC is always ignored when saying "all the territories died, yep, definitely no territories left in America," though if I did not then that is a good question, but I remember someone told me Carlos Colon mentioned this in his WWE Hall of Fame speech but I swear I can never find it in any of the versions that are online, did he actually address that?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think I already asked why WWC is always ignored when saying "all the territories died, yep, definitely no territories left in America," though if I did not then that is a good question, but I remember someone told me Carlos Colon mentioned this in his WWE Hall of Fame speech but I swear I can never find it in any of the versions that are online, did he actually address that?

It doesn't have a lot of exposure outside of Puerto Rico, really. Younger continental fans I just don't think know about it and the older fans, if they know about it, maybe think about Brody or something and decide WWC's not worth getting into. I think it comes down to the fact nobody talks about it in the rest of the country.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Who was the first person to do the spot where they're setting up the surfboard, standing on the back on their oppenent's legs, and then just jumps on them instead? I associate it with Danielson but don't know if he started it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this kid is nuts posted:

Who was the first person to do the spot where they're setting up the surfboard, standing on the back on their oppenent's legs, and then just jumps on them instead? I associate it with Danielson but don't know if he started it

He's the first I saw do it

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5geMAQ8Q0

If you want more CM Butt content, here's Punk showing his staph infection scar.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I started identifying as a teetotaller rather than Straightedge years ago because I never do any kind of recreational drug but I'm on a lot of meds.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

don't drink, don't smoke, don't gently caress, and I definitely can't loving think

e: headcanon that Goody Two Shoes was inspired by Adam Ant listening to Out Of Step and thinking 'the gently caress is this nerd on about'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41A91X5pns

Venomous fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ChrisBTY posted:

I started identifying as a teetotaller rather than Straightedge years ago because I never do any kind of recreational drug but I'm on a lot of meds.

I think Triple H is a teetotaller. Between him and CM Punk, Imma crack open a beer rn.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Triple H supposedly became friends with the Kliq because he was the one willing to drive them around while Shawn and Nash got blasted out of their minds

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah on Kliq This, Kevin said the only hed seen Trips drunk was when he intentionally fed him pina coladas and told him they were virgin

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What an rear end in a top hat

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Deathlove posted:

It's 121000000, 1 to 1 Million.

Saw a tweet from Haku-san and remembered this post

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1640450418919735296

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I definitely assumed it was a to rather than a two, though now I might start calling them One Hundred and Twenty One Million

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

its 121 big number

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

one to one? ooooooh!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kingdom Hearts side-story-rear end name.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its 121 big number

121 is the biggest number.
Fuhgeddaboudit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey, 125!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's Punk's story about his dad and why is it bullshit?