Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
As a frequent Red Skull, Master of Hydra player, I can tell you I do *not* want Psylocke near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Played my first game of Crisis Protocol today. Found someone in the discord that was willing to teach me on tabletop simulator. Played as SHIELD and the game was going well until I Helios Bombardment-ed one of his units off the board and he rage quit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wow, I am sorry to hear that! I am not familiar with that card but I looked it up and it doesn't even seem particularly frustrating, it's just a bought attack, albeit one that could go really high? I guess if it floored his master plan or something, but I've never understood rage quitting a game. Sometimes when it's very clearly going one way I'll offer 'Hey, it's obvious to me that you're going to win this (if it's like, mathematically certain I can't recover enough points) do you want to call it to save the time, or would you prefer to finish it out for fun?'

I would offer you a match but I've never used TTS so I'd not be much use at teaching you. Was it the TG discord?

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Ashcans posted:

Wow, I am sorry to hear that! I am not familiar with that card but I looked it up and it doesn't even seem particularly frustrating, it's just a bought attack, albeit one that could go really high? I guess if it floored his master plan or something, but I've never understood rage quitting a game. Sometimes when it's very clearly going one way I'll offer 'Hey, it's obvious to me that you're going to win this (if it's like, mathematically certain I can't recover enough points) do you want to call it to save the time, or would you prefer to finish it out for fun?'

I would offer you a match but I've never used TTS so I'd not be much use at teaching you. Was it the TG discord?

It’s all good, was more funny than anything. We made it 3 rounds in so I was able to get a solid grasp on the rules and basic strategy + how to use the mod (it’s pretty slick). I think it’s just hilarious that in a game where someone’s teaching me how to play that they could get so frustrated they call it. One thing I’d noticed was that howling commandos seem very strong? Spreading a ton of cheap incinerate seems really good

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

srypher posted:

It’s all good, was more funny than anything. We made it 3 rounds in so I was able to get a solid grasp on the rules and basic strategy + how to use the mod (it’s pretty slick). I think it’s just hilarious that in a game where someone’s teaching me how to play that they could get so frustrated they call it. One thing I’d noticed was that howling commandos seem very strong? Spreading a ton of cheap incinerate seems really good

Howling Commandos are great. I've been playing a lot of SHIELD and they quickly rose from being "cool but fragile" to one of my favorite 3s in the game. The R1 play of move > shoot > teleport another model forward (my current favorite being Crimson Dynamo) is so good.

They are very squishy though. R4 gun + Stealth is a great combo but if anyone does get to attack them they will die.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do AMG not have the rights to the F4 and Doom or something? It's seems like a big oversight otherwise

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do AMG not have the rights to the F4 and Doom or something? It's seems like a big oversight otherwise

if AMG develops and releases all the most popular properties up front they won't have anything to make except re-designs of the same characters and niche characters, which would be Bad

alternately: no one knows! Neither AMG nor Disney are super interested in telling us the details of their licensing agreement

(but since F4 is part of like, HeroClix, I would assume there's no licensing issues for tabletop games)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

F4 is being used normally in many board games/videogames--there's never been a problem using them for anything these days. I'd bet a zillion dollars that F4 is being saved for this summer, which will be the 4th anniversary of the game's life cycle.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Give me Doom and I will play this dumb game.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

zerofiend posted:

Give me Doom and I will play this dumb game.

don't worry friend for Doom is forever

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
even if I never play him, I'd really want him, and having him stand in front of Mcdoom's restraunt

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If Doom doesn’t come with Doombot grunts and a tactic that lets him replace them with his
model when he KOs there is no justice in the world.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

srypher posted:

Played my first game of Crisis Protocol today. Found someone in the discord that was willing to teach me on tabletop simulator. Played as SHIELD and the game was going well until I Helios Bombardment-ed one of his units off the board and he rage quit.

Good job! SHIELD is definitely a tricky affilation that rewards people who stick with them. We have a local player who has been on them for months, and is still finding new lines of play as he gets more reps in. I think they're really cool but not something I want to put the time into.

Ashcans posted:

Rage quitting, especially on a new player, is kind of a dick move for sure. If it were me I'd be more amazed it did something. Helios has a reputation in my play group for just whiffing hard. I had an opponent put an 18 dice Helios into my Rhino who had already taken 2 damage, and only did just enough damage to kill him, and I whiffed all of my defense rolls.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not sure why we needed another MODOK after the other one was rebalanced but uh, alright

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1628092648782286850?s=20

2 MODOKs, 2 Wolverines, 2 Sabretooths, 3 Spidermans, 2 Iron Mans, 2 Captain Americas, 2 Daredevils (kind of), 2 Red Skulls (3 if you count the Tank event), soon 2 Hulks.

I'd have rather gotten like, true alternate characters like Ben Reilly/Iron Patriot/US Agent/Joe Fixit. Some of them I understand but this one I'm just really baffled by.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DLC Inc posted:

I'd have rather gotten like, true alternate characters like Ben Reilly/Iron Patriot/US Agent/Joe Fixit. Some of them I understand but this one I'm just really baffled by.

Probably make a lot more sense in a few days when they announce like a Monica Rappacini and 3 AIM beekeeper suits on one base set.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MODOK was rebalanced into the toilet so if anything that's support for needing a new one.

but, really, the reason we're getting new MODOK and new Hulk is because those were the first two boxes released after the core set. Three years later we get new designs and new sculpts, which I don't think is that weird. I think AMG needed to do a better job of selling that story, though.

in general we'll always be getting a mixture of (a) brand-new, popular characters (b) brand-new, niche characters and (c) new designs of existing characters. They need to spread out the (a) so that the game keeps selling.

admanb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 21, 2023

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I want more bullshit D-grade characters. Give me Darkhawk and The Aquarian.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

zerofiend posted:

I want more bullshit D-grade characters. Give me Darkhawk and The Aquarian.

hey Darkhawk is good... in Marvel Snap

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Stiltman when

I’d also settle for Big Wheel

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
My theory is there will be a new edition this year. Alternatively when the card pack for scenarios drop there will be a new season. They will use that as an opportunity to make versions of characters seasonal and rotate them in and out.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They said when they rotated cards that they were never going to rotate characters.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hoboskins posted:

My theory is there will be a new edition this year. Alternatively when the card pack for scenarios drop there will be a new season. They will use that as an opportunity to make versions of characters seasonal and rotate them in and out.

I agree with new edition, fantastic 4 core box plz. tho rotating our characters hits the classic don't invalidate my purchase expectation of miniatures games. people spend a lot of time and money getting models, they will not be happy getting rotated out

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What's on your new edition wishlist?

I think what I most want to see is leadership abilities removed from cards, and slotted in to a designated sixth "Leadership Tactics Card."

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

DLC Inc posted:

I'm not sure why we needed another MODOK after the other one was rebalanced but uh, alright

Capitalizing on him being in Quantumania

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Signal posted:

What's on your new edition wishlist?

I think what I most want to see is leadership abilities removed from cards, and slotted in to a designated sixth "Leadership Tactics Card."

That's a good one.

Some kind of roll associated with any superpower character throw. It shouldn't be as easy as it is to do a ton of damage and displace.

admanb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 22, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

Some kind of roll associated with any superpower character throw. It shouldn't be as easy as it is to do a ton of damage and displace.

like maybe some way to.... dodge the incoming damage?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The damage is significantly less relevant than the displacement.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
You could let the target of a throw (as in, a character being thrown) roll Dodge dice. If they get more successes (Shield, Crit, Wild) than the max size of the throw, they are not thrown. If they equal, they take no damage from being thrown but are still displaced

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They're mitigating throws by giving most new characters insane action economy so that it barely matters if you throw them.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're mitigating throws by giving most new characters insane action economy so that it barely matters if you throw them.

Yeah, but this is a _bad_ choice.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

anyone else using jarvis-protocol to make custom horizontal cards of characters that only have the bad old unreadable vertical design? (full size)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I've been using the Photoshop templates in the fan server to make a poo poo ton of custom character and tactic cards, but not the Jarvis protocol tool. I've made extensive sets for Kingdom Hearts and My Hero Academia, and am working on a DC set.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, thinking about how best to have Dark Dimension DA into Hellfire so that if we get favorable crises we stick with Big D and on wider/bad ones we can flex to Hellfire since they leaderships are very similar. Do any of our favorite pieces change based on this? perhaps a healing factor mini or two for the t1 pseudo-Advanced R&D play?
HB/Nebula become ideal 2s since they heal the damage and feed emma power, right?
also is there a second 65mm model for the D/E centerline contest from deployment to feed them a second power that works?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vibranium Heist review: It's my favorite of the prize support encounters so far. Any time it's just "a normal 1v1 game but with unique deployment and crisis locations" I think I like it more than the "all vs 1" stuff like Dormammu or Red Skull

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Adepticon panel dropped a HUGE bunch of future releases. Nightcrawler, Bishop, Shadowcat, Iceman, Professor X, Shadow King, M'Baku, Klaw, plus new Ultron w/drones and a huge Wakanda set including new Panther and Killmonger.

Too lazy to paste all the images but most of them are here:

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1640066711335362562?s=20

They don't have the Shadow King here and yall deserve to see how loving insane this sculpt is

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Klaw looks fantastic & I'm glad that Kitty Pryde comes with Lockheed. Would be really cool if Cosmic Ghost Rider was the start of a heralds of galactus affiliation.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
from my understanding everything shown here is next year except maybe the wakanda stuff? I have to admit though If i was a wakanda player I would be pretty drat salty getting another BP and killmonger when the two you already have are fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They knew I hoped to get Kitty and Kurt in the same box. They knew.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I really need to start investing in the x-men affiliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lucinice posted:

I really need to start investing in the x-men affiliation.

They're very good. Kind of tricky to learn, but very strong and rewarding. I almost took the plunge but at the last moment my eyes were drawn by SHIELD and I've played nothing else since.

I own all the models though.