Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How to Feed 10,000 Rebel Fighters for 50 Years
Researchers are studying the cooking traditions of the FARC, Colombia’s disarmed guerrilla group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

be nice if they could've penned the article without sneaking in how bad farc is in at every opportunity

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Farcing hell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drew curtis' FARC

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I made this pulled pork recipe (maybe I got it from here?) with Chinese five spice blend and a honey/ginger/soy sauce/garlic marinade. it's a real hit.

next time a fried egg on top though.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

The Voice of Labor posted:

be nice if they could've penned the article without sneaking in how bad farc is in at every opportunity

this is one of the more evenhanded, vaguely positive profiles i've read of FARC from a vaguely mainstream source. it's not exactly a hagiography, but apart from some mentions of forced recruitment it could be way worse. the real evil presented is clearly the dastardly colombian government, forcing the former guerillas into an atomised existence

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man it's wild how much better jell-o pudding made on the stove top is than the instant stuff.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it’s just corn starch and sugar and flavors you could probably make something even better with just corn starch and sugar and flavors

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spent all yesterday dehydrated and hungover, then woke up at 5am

made oj, coffee, protein shake (whey powder, smooth pb, plain greek yogurt, whole milk), opened the emergency powdered-sugar donuts

no stomach space for toast and eggs or else i would've

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
store had plenty of St. Patricks day stuff when I needed to run in this morning so I have a full St. Pats day dinner ready for the insta-pot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i wish i had a corned beef going right now

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
And with an instapot, you're looking at about 90-100 minutes for the WHOLE meal... it's pretty nice actually. About 70-80 for the meat, reserve some juice, then finish the veg and what-bat-thanks St. Pat.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Anyone know a good recipe for tofu scramble that tastes like eggs?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Anyone know a good recipe for tofu scramble that tastes like eggs?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chickpeas are just incredibly versatile and always good, right up there with lentils in terms of bang for your buck

I tend to avoid tofu if I'm not cubing it and pressing the poo poo out of it, I like the stuff but not outside of filling the role of meat or snacking and the smooth or silky stuff I find offputting. Nine times out of ten the best replacement for meat is some kind of bean. Seitan is good but I'm too lazy to make it and nobody carries it around here.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

i say swears online posted:

drew curtis' FARC

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I made muffalettas for a March Madness party last weekend, baked the bread, made the olive salad:

it was loving glorious

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

hell yeah

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
drat, now that’s a sandwich

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

everything about that sandwich looks amazing, especially the bread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Apparently the secret to a good crumb is the detailer spray

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Apparently the secret to a good crumb is the detailer spray

I can't afford to make egg wash with the price of eggs right now, are you crazy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

everything about that sandwich looks amazing, especially the bread

Here's my secret, it's just a Detroit pizza crust recipe that I bake on a slab of steel on the top shelf of my oven. It makes some of the best sandwich bread, soft, chewy, full of air pockets and the crust will not allow any liquids to seep through. My freezer is full of it lol.

Just-In-Timeberlake has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Mar 25, 2023

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Here's my secret, it's just a Detroit pizza crust recipe that I bake on a slab of steel on the top shelf of my oven. It makes some of the best sandwich bread, soft, chewy, full of air pockets and the crust will not allow any liquids to seep through. My freezer is full of it lol.

that's smart as poo poo and reminds me of the super fancy sandwiches you get in italy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not a bread guy, happen to have that detroit pizza crust recipe if it isn't a closely guarded secret? That right there is what I would consider the perfect bread for what I use bread for.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Epic High Five posted:

Not a bread guy, happen to have that detroit pizza crust recipe if it isn't a closely guarded secret? That right there is what I would consider the perfect bread for what I use bread for.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that’s the sort of bread you need for soup too so it gets in all them holes mmmmm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i am harry posted:

that’s the sort of bread you need for soup too so it gets in all them holes mmmmm

I had something very like that at work yesterday, half was dipped in a very good cream of mushroom soup, the other half got probably too much butter - which is always the correct amount.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Happy to. This recipe makes one of those loaves in the picture, or 5-6 roll sized ones, I usually double the recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/detroit-style-pizza-recipe

If you don't have a mixer, or don't feel like kneading dough, just mix the ingredients in a bowl with a spoon/spatula to make a shaggy dough and use the technique in this baguette recipe:

https://www.aberdeenskitchen.com/2020/08/classic-crusty-french-baguettes/#tasty-recipes-17353-jump-target

This is the steel I use. Yes it's sort of pricy, but if taken care of you should be including it in your will along with your other cast iron cookware. Or you can get a slab of steel from a building supply company and season it, it'll be close enough to make no difference

https://bakingsteel.com/collections/steels/products/baking-steel

On Netflix, there's a show called Chef's Table: Pizza. The first episode is where I got the idea to do this, right around the 14 minute mark is where it starts (he douses them in oil after they come out, I don't but knock yourself out). If you don't have Netflix, tldr: don't stretch the ball of dough, that'll knock all the air out of it and you'll get, well, pizza. Use your fingertips to press dimples into the dough while kind of pushing out to get to the size you want.

To bake it, oven @500, rack and steel on top shelf. 5 minutes before baking, turn the broiler on. Shape your dough, put it on the steel, bake under the broiler for 1 minute, turn the oven back to 500, bake for another 5-8 minutes. Best of luck letting it cool completely before tearing into it.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Pizzapostin'

Gratuitous 🐓 shot

The steel blistering is real, and good

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what’s the fork for

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i am harry posted:

what’s the fork for

fend off food thieves

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The steel blistering is real, and good

yeah, apparently it’s the best way to make english muffins, have to give those a try one of these days

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I often make the ATK cast iron chocolate chip cookie recipe because it's super easy and delicious.

the other day my son asked for scrambled eggs so I used the pan I had just used for the cookie and made the kitchen smell like fresh baked cookies.

and that's the story of why my son now requests "cookie eggs".

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

made butternut squash soup last night. carrots and a red onion chopped up, squash cubed, vegetable broth, ginger, cinamon, sage and cardamon and a chili pepper to season.

it's good. the sage and cardamon give it an intersting spice, like an alternate universe curry. between the squash carrot and red onion, it's about as sweet as a savory dish can be.

only complaint is I don't really like the texture of my now extrememly cooked squash cubes. not sure what to do about that as pureeing everything would make it gross and pureeing it and then straining the result sounds too fancy

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yeah boyeeee

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Went with chickpeas instead of lentils for my bachelor chow this week, feelin fancy

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Got some discounted beef and pork. Grabbed some rutabagas, potatoes, and parsnips and made a boiled dinner.

It was really good.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I bought and cleaned squid for the first time and it was a blast. Made lemon butter pasta with the squid pan fried in garlic oil and some spices.

Trying to think of other things to do with squid besides deep frying. They are tasty and cheap enough. Cleaning them is a hell of a biology lesson for kid#1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I thought I had found a great deal when I got a 40lb box of miscut wings at the restaurant supply store, but it turns out when they are miscut they just stop trimming and plucking them. I spent about an hour and a half finishing up 20 lbs and then froze the rest but finally wanted my freezer space back.

Making a full stock pot of stock and 3x this recipe
https://www.africanbites.com/chicken-stew-african-style/

I don't think my family will like it so I'm gonna be eating it for lunch for a while lol.