Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

My faith is in the protestors at his house.

Lol if you think he’s at his house and not in some cushy bunker playing “whack the Palestinian kid.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lol if you think he’s at his house and not in some cushy bunker playing “whack the Palestinian kid.”

Ah yes, Bibi obviously has everyone right where he wants them...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

What?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

???

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Blake_Allen13/status/1640122245136760833?s=20

All of Israel's labor unions and the business community have agreed to a general strike.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

https://twitter.com/Blake_Allen13/status/1640122245136760833?s=20

All of Israel's labor unions and the business community have agreed to a general strike.

I'm trying to comprehend how badly you have to gently caress up to get business owners to pay their workers to go on strike.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My (last) Rabbi is assuring me these are “Liberal reform pro Palestinian “Israelis” protesting”

He’s an unhinged Trumper.

That was a depressing series of texts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My (last) Rabbi is assuring me these are “Liberal reform pro Palestinian “Israelis” protesting”

G-d almighty

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I laughed, at least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I laughed, at least.

I was halfway through writing "Jesus Christ" as my reaction, then I realized maybe that wasn't an a propos response.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy moly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It seems that Bibi…

puts on sunglasses

has reaped the whirlwind.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Platystemon posted:

It seems that Bibi…

puts on sunglasses

has reaped the whirlwind.

Seriously reconsidering my no reporting posts policy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe Bibi will get shot by mistake during a hostage rescue operation for some cosmic irony.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My personal bet is that Bibi sees this whole deal as his only shot to avoid prison, so he probably delays it indefinitely, then suddenly brings it up in a week to try and pass it. He likely won't give a poo poo about any of the protests or strikes, but who knows if it'll work on anyone else that he needs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm just glad this happened under Biden. The administration is at least putting some pressure on Bibi to knock it off. Given the growing alliance between the ultra Orthodox settler movement and evangelicals Trump would be 100% on Bibi's side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Dude is actively saying that the Right Wing counterprotest will be bigger.

He really thinks he can post through this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oy ve

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Dude is actively saying that the Right Wing counterprotest will be bigger.

He really thinks he can post through this.

Only thing that makes me think he might be wrong is the general strike. Authoritarians have been spending the last decade or so proving they don't give a gently caress about protests. Destabilizing society means precisely dick to them, or is a net benefit when violence breaks out and their followers get to do what they've been wanting to do to that couple down the street that looks funny.

gently caress with the money though and things can actually change when the elite see numbers in their spreadsheet get smaller. That is just intolerable and gets the wheels turning.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bird food bathtub posted:

gently caress with the money though and things can actually change when the elite see numbers in their spreadsheet get smaller. That is just intolerable and gets the wheels turning.

Yeah this is where I'm at with it.

If it was just protests, I'd be just as cynical as everyone else. But when the money starts getting involved, shits gonna happen one way or another. What that is, I don't know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Is there a brief primer to the current situation with Bibi? From what I understand, he's been criminally charged with or is being investigated for corruption and was put in as prime minister again to stall said charges and is in the process of stacking the judiciary with sycophants that will close out said investigation?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is there a brief primer to the current situation with Bibi? From what I understand, he's been criminally charged with or is being investigated for corruption and was put in as prime minister again to stall said charges and is in the process of stacking the judiciary with sycophants that will close out said investigation?

Don't forget to toss in appeals to a hard, hard-right base to screw the Palestinians even more in ways that make Republicans jealous.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/25/middleeast/israel-judiciary-netanyahu-explainer-intl/index.html

https://danieldrezner.substack.com/p/israel-is-going-through-it-right?utm_campaign=post

I'm absolutely no expert, but it seems like this is Bibi and some really poo poo people taking advantage of a "hey, the political system's rules probably need changing, they never made sense" and then flipped it to corruption. Bibi stays out of jail, really lovely cabinet members get more power, and all of them have a firmer hold on future power with fewer avenues to kick them out or minimize the damage.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm teaching all morning but I'll effort post this afternoon or during a break if no one beats me to it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Talked to a historian friend this morning who's also Israeli.

quote:

There hasn’t been a coordinated histadrut (main union) and employers strike since the British mandate LOLOL

lol, way to go Bibi.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm teaching all morning but I'll effort post this afternoon or during a break if no one beats me to it.

gently caress them kids. Teach us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
tl:;dr as I understand it, the proposed changes would:

1) severely limit judicial review, allowing Knesset to override supreme court determinations of unconstitutionality

2) change appointment to basically just the ruling party rather than the current hybrid commission which includes current judges, bar association and Knesset members

Arguably the second reform is more lowercase d democratic than having members of the profession pick judges, but obvious context:

-Courts are only real bar to unlimited settlements
-Draft laws on deck to do things like exempt the PM from prosecution
-Various other draft laws prepped that would get struck down by the courts without these proposed changes

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah, it's that context that's sending people into the streets.

It's legitimately kinda dumb that Israel doesn't have an actual constitution when the court system is the absolute final say with no possible legislative override. That system seems weak to judicial calvinball when the American system is calvinballed enough with an override function (with a VERY high bar) and small-d democratic judges.

But having these people propose the changes, in the way they want the changes to be made, is transparently a corrupt power grab.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We have another HAZMAT train derailment: https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/03/27/reported-incident-involving-train-richland-county/

From what I have seen, this isn't expected to get all crazy like Ohio.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1640369455996731392

Netanyahu is hoping to kick the can down the road long enough that the protest's momentum will fade.

Dictator 101 poo poo right here.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Okay okay guys you can stop protesting, I won't do it for another few months

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

:stonklol:

This will make you cross your erm... leg??

Also I don't know if anyone remembers the story of the stolen Nickle on the Amsterdam metals exchange? Someone stole bags of nickle ingots and replaced it with gravel? People were wondering how it was actually worth stealing such a low value substance. Well they stole 50 tons of it, that's how they made their money, worth approx £1,000,000.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 27, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Burt posted:

:stonklol:

This will make you cross your erm... leg??

Also I don't know if anyone remembers the story of the stolen Nickle on the Amsterdam metals exchange? Someone stole bags of nickle ingots and replaced it with gravel? People were wondering how it was actually worth stealing such a low value substance. Well they stole 50 tons of it, that's how they made their money, worth approx £1,000,000.

Moving 50 tons of metal sounds way too much like actual work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's just a 40 foot container. Chuck it on a truck and away you go.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
About twentyish years ago I read about a city employee who had the job of emptying parking meters. Apparently over the years he pocketed close to like two million in quarters, or some similar ridiculous number. His bank thought he was a vending machine guy.

poo poo fell apart, as I recall, when the taxman wondered where the huge loving house came from.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/AmySpiro/status/1640402133500542983?t=2x4LFdm1ASJm_maQNmV1Ew&s=19

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1640401083079049222?t=yRq0FreyVjaHSXKWtx4D9A&s=19

That side deal probably torpedoed any chance of ending the protests, since it's just a postponement at a heavy cost. Will sure be something when the hard-righties start getting together and counter-protesting!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

The Eyes Have It posted:

About twentyish years ago I read about a city employee who had the job of emptying parking meters. Apparently over the years he pocketed close to like two million in quarters, or some similar ridiculous number. His bank thought he was a vending machine guy.

poo poo fell apart, as I recall, when the taxman wondered where the huge loving house came from.

You couldn't pull a scam like that these days. Everybody's paying with their phone apps like an rear end in a top hat. No consideration for the little guy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1640369455996731392

Netanyahu is hoping to kick the can down the road long enough that the protest's momentum will fade.

Dictator 101 poo poo right here.

No wonder Donnie liked Bibi.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Eyes Have It posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

quote:

All of the alleged victims are said to have been part of a society in which people willingly undergo extreme body modification.

The practice is linked to a subculture where men become “nullos”, short for genital nullification, by having their penis and testicles removed.

sure it's hosed up and weird, but if it's a bunch of freaks doing this poo poo to each other consensually, then... who gives a poo poo? what's the case being made here?