Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr.Acula posted:

I thought Deckard Cain died?

spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He's deckard cainy

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A bit Deckardish.

Somewhat Cainesque.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume "Cain" is the name OP gave to his Steam Deck.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr.Acula posted:

I thought Deckard Cain died?
what are they gonna do, create a new character for the franchise?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Double Deckard sandwich

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
deadkard cain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

pentyne posted:

Overall seems like a big step sideways from D3, hopefully not going to fully into Lost Ark/Path of Exile pseudo-mmo hell.

I probably could not pick two games more different than each other than these, what do you mean that they have in common here?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pierson posted:

Before the sale ends are there any other good games (indie or not) of the style of Recettear, Mystia Izakaya or the cabaret minigame from Yakuza 0? Basically running and building up a small business where you directly control the boss/employees and the gameplay is fulfilling guest/buyer requests?

Thanks for mentioning this.
I got it after your post and it's really good (it's also still on sale until thursday).
It feels a lot like Recettear (figuring out what your customers like to make enough profit to pay back your loans) combined with a bit of the Atelier games (walk around the map collecting materials from gathering points and then try to make items that have all the traits you want from the traits of the materials)
The music is comfy and relaxing and the art is gorgeous as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked the Diablo 4 beta but I don't like the fact that uniques apparently only show up *after* you've beaten the campaign. Was it the same in D3? From what I can remember about that mush of a game, I'm going to say it was, in which case, booo what a bad decision. Uniques and sets are always the highlights to me and it sucks that they're only for the postgame no-lifers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I liked the Diablo 4 beta but I don't like the fact that uniques apparently only show up *after* you've beaten the campaign. Was it the same in D3? From what I can remember about that mush of a game, I'm going to say it was, in which case, booo what a bad decision. Uniques and sets are always the highlights to me and it sucks that they're only for the postgame no-lifers.

Unique only showed up in post-game in D3 and D4 isn't going to have sets at launch at all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Uniques weren't in D3 but legendaries in that game functioned similarly to how uniques do in D4, they were just much more common. Legendaries now can have any set of random stats (outside of the legendary affix) and uniques have static modifiers that are the same every time (with values rolled randomly). Set items are gone with the explanation that they made character building too linear.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I looked through all of the legendaries in the Codex of Power in D4 and 95% of them are boring a poo poo.
My favorite part of D3 was that legendaries, actually did stuff that wasn't just "more damage", and also that skills could actually interact with each other.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LLSix posted:

I upgraded my thief to a fencer, but almost all of the fencer powers need a rapier and almost all the thief powers need a dagger. Is there a way to have access to both powersets?
This is in fact what I think is one of the biggest weaknesses of Crystal Project, restricting unusual class combos so harshly like this.

Weapon using classes often have *some* abilities which don't care about weapon types, but a lot of the tree is, as you've noticed, useless. And this means that the "equip [weapon type]" passives are also almost always useless because sure, now you can equip Rapiers on Reaper! Too bad Reaper needs Scythes for its weapon-restricted skills so this doesn't help anything except maybe getting it off the ground long enough to actually learn Reaper abilities.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have a couple friends saying Last Epoch is quite good if you are looking for PoE/Diablo style action. I have never been a fan of said genre (tried D IV beta briefly over the weekend) but since it has multiplayer now am planning to try Last Epoch out when it hits a sale again.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

goferchan posted:

Set items are gone with the explanation that they made character building too linear.

That's kind of an overreaction. I agree that builds were too linear in D3 but that's because they intentionally designed the endgame around 3 or so pre-defined set builds for each class.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imo setpieces should be individually poor but offer an unusual mechanic interaction at the top collection level so that they are not desirable to wear unless you want to take advantage of that mechanic. the payoff for gaining access to an unusual mechanic being forced to wear a patchwork of subpar gear. or you could just make them like actually good individual pieces and then have a highly skill-specific bonus for using them so that there's no real decision making involved you just use that skill because it has a good bonus built into your good gear. both are good design choices.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ghostlight posted:

imo setpieces should be individually poor but offer an unusual mechanic interaction at the top collection level so that they are not desirable to wear unless you want to take advantage of that mechanic. the payoff for gaining access to an unusual mechanic being forced to wear a patchwork of subpar gear. or you could just make them like actually good individual pieces and then have a highly skill-specific bonus for using them so that there's no real decision making involved you just use that skill because it has a good bonus built into your good gear. both are good design choices.

I mean, they've done both of those exactly from what I remember, and that's the problem they had. You want to use skill X mostly? Well set Y boosts it, so you better wear it. What's your build like? Well, X using Y, the end! Or as you said it gives strong unique perk, which if you want to use said perk means you need the entire set, so see above problem.

Diablo2's itemization is deeply problematic, and I say "is" rather than "was" as it's still kicking 20+ years later, mostly unchanged.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For the kind of game D3 is trying to be, the sets are fine. They give players jumping into a new season an easy progression into higher difficulties, are generally pretty flexible thanks to RoRG math, and most are interesting both visually and thematically. I know many ARPG players would like to believe they're all super geniuses who would prefer to discover all the deep intricacies of skill and item interactions on their own, but in most cases the D3 sets are just an accelerated version of the abilities you would naturally want to combine in a build anyway. Wow, only a 10,000 IQ player could have possibly figured out that Whirlwind and Rend would go pretty well together, Blizzard are fools for just giving away this forbidden knowledge to everyone. And even if you absolutely hate the idea of ever seeing a green item on your character sheet, some of the strongest builds in the game do not use a set at all.

D2's sets by comparison are so bad that you will audibly groan every time you have the misfortune of seeing a green [Diadem] drop.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Why would anyone play Diablo, or any other game, when Divinity OS2 exists?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

DOS2 is easily the game with the best turn-based RPG combat of all time but it's also nothing like Diablo?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Ratjaculation posted:

why would anyone play divinity os2 when vampire survivors exists?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ratjaculation posted:

Why would anyone play Diablo, or any other game, when Apex Legends exists?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How much money do I have to pay to get the best lockboxes in Diablo 4?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jarvisi posted:

How much money do I have to pay to get the best lockboxes in Diablo 4?

just a modest investment in the Diablockchain will get you started, Demon Hunter!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

Diablockchain

This has to be the vilest thing I have ever read in this entire forum section. :stonk:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't played it, but I saw a video recently on Ghostlore which is a diablo2 like in EA.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1783280/Ghostlore/

It's got great art I think, not sure how it plays.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

For the kind of game D3 is trying to be, the sets are fine. They give players jumping into a new season an easy progression into higher difficulties, are generally pretty flexible thanks to RoRG math, and most are interesting both visually and thematically. I know many ARPG players would like to believe they're all super geniuses who would prefer to discover all the deep intricacies of skill and item interactions on their own, but in most cases the D3 sets are just an accelerated version of the abilities you would naturally want to combine in a build anyway. Wow, only a 10,000 IQ player could have possibly figured out that Whirlwind and Rend would go pretty well together, Blizzard are fools for just giving away this forbidden knowledge to everyone. And even if you absolutely hate the idea of ever seeing a green item on your character sheet, some of the strongest builds in the game do not use a set at all.

D2's sets by comparison are so bad that you will audibly groan every time you have the misfortune of seeing a green [Diadem] drop.

This kind of 'simplifying/removing decisions because they are basically the same thing' mentality leads to boring rear end game all the time, because they really never are the same thing.

Games should make players feel like geniuses even though they are not - that's kinda the point of good design, isn't it?

Even if it takes some needlessly complex decisions, so be it. Make it feel natural, emergent, something that you discover (even if it's really obvious) - Don't just remove the decisions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The strong D3 builds that don't use a set instead use an item that basically says "gain 1,000,000% extra damage if you don't have a set equipped". And yet most builds still use sets

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I looked through all of the legendaries in the Codex of Power in D4 and 95% of them are boring a poo poo.
My favorite part of D3 was that legendaries, actually did stuff that wasn't just "more damage", and also that skills could actually interact with each other.

Do be aware the Codex only has like 1/3rd of the legendary affixes that exist in the game, most of them are drop-only (but can be extracted and reapplied). Lots of the class-specific effects, particularly, are not in there.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1640383551974825984

So uh, they're shutting down this game that many people spent money on for 6+ months.

Live service is going fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No one could have foreseen this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Excuse me it clearly says they were in "open beta"

Honestly that's p crazy because it's not listed as Early Access on Steam and they've apparently had multiple seasons worth of new character releases.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Between Last Epoch multiplayer and the D4 beta, I'm all ARPG'd out.
Put like 5 more hours into Shadow of War after this thread was talking about it, but the batman combat just doesn't quite pull me, and I don't find myself very intrigued by the Skills you can unlock. Side thought, some kind of 40K game with the Nemesis system could be :krad:.

Little burnt out on The Last Spell as the third level / boss is killing me, and it just takes so much time to get another run to the final night :(

Don't even know wtf to play now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hate this whole "re-release" trend for service games. Stuff like this and Overwatch and Gwent where the old version of the game gets deleted so it doesnt compete with the new one. Given the economics of these games, where they're just part of a larger portfolio and one mega hit is worth 10 failures, it is rational but by god does it suck. Who could have realized how much Final Fantasy XIV would unleash this poo poo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 27, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
wait that was a beta? lmao that thing will never have a successful relaunch after this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, I thought Multiversus was well liked/had big numbers too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tiniest bit of devil's advocate, Multiversus got turbo-hosed by WB's business dealings. A bunch of planned character releases had to be scrapped because oops WB didn't have the rights to them anymore. So I wouldn't be surprised if things have been totally derailed and they really do need a break to figure out what the gently caress that game actually is going forward.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They updated the game to be worse and grindier after launch.
The player numbers dropped like 95% after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
WB : We Bad (at business)