Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I don't know if it's the builds I was trying last time vs this time but gently caress. Slowva is just so lovely while also setting off explosions all over the map. It's drat fun and I am, basically, unkillable.
Often how "good" a build (or frame ability set) feels depends on what missions you take them into - enemy density and defenses, linear vs stationary, other objective support (like bubble, heal or speed).

Or sometimes you just need something like a fitting augment or arcane to better match a frame to your preferred playstyle.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can someone point me to a good guide to take out the Earth Teralyst guys at night? I'm trying to build the 747 Amp and I am missing bits from them for my next rank up with the Quils. Thanks
To kill a basic Terry - as opposed to lure wrangling for a capture or going speed tricap which is what most guides (who assume you have access to everything) cover - you mostly just need amp damage (volt shield damage boost or madurais void strike help) and something to bust the joints. Sniper or knell might be the pro-strat, but mech or titania works in a pinch.

If you just want a basic drop and cant ask for help in clan or discord you can try pubbing the Teralyst bounty during cetus night, chance are any pubs will shred that thing in no time.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yesterday I did a Sortie with someone who had never seen or heard of Titania before. They saw me get small and fly away and were like "what the HELL was that??"

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I remember coming back to the game after a long time away shortly after the initial, mostly stationary spoiler mode was introduced and seeing someone doing it during a mission kinda blew my mind. Warframes real good at surprise "oh gently caress at some point I can do THAT?" moments.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's always fun to see weird builds or surprisingly effective weapons, too. I saw some Vauban have spectrorage and it immediately lit a bulb in my my head. That guy wasn't using Spectrosiphon, but I certainly could. I, and a friend who also runs it, get a lot of questions about it because it's very dumb, very effective, and just prints energy.

Spectrorage/siphon is just a fun Helminth infusion. It's not Gloom, but if you're running more range than power? It's solid CC and energy support. I even tossed it on my Citrine for flavor, more energy, and some better CC than her 4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, so I played this years ago and now I hear it runs well on the Steam Deck, so I'm thinking of picking it up again. What's the recommended returning-player-who-was-never-really-good-at-it-despite-50-hours-in-game course of action?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

basically the same as if you were a totally brand new player. progress through the star chart, do the quests that pop up, stop and farm for anything you think looks interesting

get in the clan/discord to ask questions. :siren: bookmark the wiki :siren:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ask in discord and clanchat for things, mods that were rare and precious are now not rare and not precious (maybe you heard of "acolyte mods" which are now just somewhat annoying to get), but still a pain to get for a new player. Absolutely use the wiki, it is vital.

Also, take a look at this video because while there's been reworks and reworks since it was made, changes in mods and such, the core of it is still very relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iln0ZSZyI

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I have a 50% coupon and about 150 plat; what's actually worth buying from the store (that also has the discount applied?) I would just buy slots but the coupon doesn't apply to them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

from the way you worded that, i assume you are on console?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Awesome! posted:

from the way you worded that, i assume you are on console?

Yep, ps5.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok so i would say it depends a lot on where you are in the game. if you are new and 150p still represents a lot of money for you i would probably just save it for slots and other essential stuff.

if you are old and just poor atm i assume you wouldnt be asking this question but would probably go with a deluxe skin or something fun.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm MR 15 and have been playing on and off for years, though there's still a ton of poo poo I havnt done in game (still working on a necramech for new war). I do like fashion frame but think I have most of the deluxe skins I like.

I know spending Plat on weapons is generally a huge waste but considering they come with a slot and potato I'm kinda tempted to pick something I don't have up; are there any particularly good ones (that are also a pain to craft) that might actually be worth using the half off on?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ehhh. most of the really good weapons arent on the market. i just looked and not much was jumping out at me.

how annoying do you find granum voids? maybe the stropha.

otherwise you could go for one of the more annoying ones for mr purposes i guess like the aeolak or ambassador. not sure what player market prices on console are like on those

theres also the sibear i guess

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I really look forward to crossplay finally being a thing so that console players don't have to deal with that system anymore.

Also so I can play disruption on my phone on the metro and wonder why I'm suddenly poo poo at audio cues.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

SIGSEGV posted:

I really look forward to crossplay finally being a thing so that console players don't have to deal with that system anymore.

Also so I can play disruption on my phone on the metro and wonder why I'm suddenly poo poo at audio cues.

As a switch player I can tell you I cannot wait for cross save. At least now that we have cross play finding players for random nodes is easier.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea cross save is gonna be huge. I imagine the switch version is going to see a whole shitload of downloads the minute it's implemented

Awesome! posted:

ehhh. most of the really good weapons arent on the market. i just looked and not much was jumping out at me.

how annoying do you find granum voids? maybe the stropha.

otherwise you could go for one of the more annoying ones for mr purposes i guess like the aeolak or ambassador. not sure what player market prices on console are like on those

theres also the sibear i guess

Thanks for the input! Tbh I think I'm gonna just save my plat for more useful stuff.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
50% coups I tend to use on things that cost less than 60 plat base anyway. I try and reserve 75% for the spendy things like railjack skins or some of the more premium weapon skins, or premium frame skins that I'm not interested in the rest of the package. I think 50% is how I've unlocked most of my warframe specific idle animation sets

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Does the new fancy xaku skin change how the skeleton looks? I wouldn't even consider buying it if you can't see it in missions, but if it still looks cool, I might sell some prime junk and get it.

Also, I have my final warframe cooking! Just need to finish up companions, zaws, lovely prime weapons, and archguns. And arch melees... and k-drives... oh god.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

A Moose posted:

Does the new fancy xaku skin change how the skeleton looks? I wouldn't even consider buying it if you can't see it in missions, but if it still looks cool, I might sell some prime junk and get it.

Also, I have my final warframe cooking! Just need to finish up companions, zaws, lovely prime weapons, and archguns. And arch melees... and k-drives... oh god.

According to the concept art it does.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

A Moose posted:

Yeah, it's got a different skeleton.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Skellify yourself and face to bloodshed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's unfortunate that they make cool non-skeleton mode xaku skins and you'll basically never see them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Awesome! posted:

basically the same as if you were a totally brand new player. progress through the star chart, do the quests that pop up, stop and farm for anything you think looks interesting

get in the clan/discord to ask questions. :siren: bookmark the wiki :siren:

I am apparently supposed to “Confront Captain Vor”, but I think I want to find a way to reset story progress or at least do the tutorials again because boy am I lost and don’t know who Captain Vor is anyway. I will cruise the wiki!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Look at them, they come to this place when they know they are not pure.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Subjunctive posted:

I am apparently supposed to “Confront Captain Vor”, but I think I want to find a way to reset story progress or at least do the tutorials again because boy am I lost and don’t know who Captain Vor is anyway. I will cruise the wiki!

I don't know what's going on either, just that there's evil turtle men and evil blockheads. Sometimes fungus monsters show up. Captain Vorr was a turtle man who put a bad thing on your robo-body to take control of it. I Think. The punishment for this is to be gunned to death.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think you can redo Vor's Prize (the quest you're on) without resetting to a new account, but the breakdown is this:
- You're a "Tenno" who was brought back from some kind of suspended animation by "Grineer," who are an expansionist clone army
- Captain Vor is the Grineer leader who woke you up to try to force you to be a weapon for them
- You did some stuff to remove a thing he put on your leg that was how he was going to force you, but it left a bomb inside
- Go kill Vor, because for some reason that will disarm the bomb, and also screw that guy.

A lot of the Warframe story stuff comes out from later quests or gets inferred from seeing the environments and what they're doing in them. You're not expected to know what a "Tenno" is beyond "a person who uses a Warframe suit and its powers, and who apparently talks to this Lotus person." The Grineer are fascist oppressors, the Corpus are capitalist oppressors, the Infestation is some kind of mutagenic hivemind, the Corrupted are a hivemind commandeered by some ancient hostile security system, and that's everybody you'll be fighting.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Started playing a week days ago and looking for advice on what to do next...

I'm Mastery Rank 5 and have three maxed frames (Ember, Mag, Octavia). I've finished through Mercury and just unlocked Mars, though I'm still on Venus for the story missions. I guess I have to go fishing to get the mats to build an archwing for those missions?

I'm a fan of controlling minions, so when I ran into a Nekros player that totally seems like my jam, eventually.

Right now all the enemies seem to die very quickly but I'm assuming it won't always be that way; outside of Jackal's damage walls I never really feel in danger.

Are there weapons/frames I should be focusing on at this point, or should I focus on the story missions?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you like having AI murder buddies then check out Wukong, his blueprints available at the clan dojo - he's one of the more utilitarian frames overall, with good durability and mobility, and his playstyle focuses around summoning a clone of yourself that attacks with melee when you're using ranged weapons and vice versa

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of clan dojo, new players (and anyone really) should buy stacks of the blueprints for Detonite Injector, Fieldron, and Mutagen Mass, as those are required to build the lab weapons from Grineer, Corpus, and Infested respectively.

For example it takes 23 hours I think to build one Mutagen Mass, and you need 10 of them to make a Bubonico, which is a super versatile and powerul regenerating ammo shotgun.

It's a good idea to always have those 3 items building in your foundry, and always use 3 "Extractors" to passively mine resources from planets. Even if you're not logged in, you can do all that from the Warframe phone app.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Those things drop from bounties on the Vallis on Venus, so the pressure on them isn't that intense, but still, keep them cooking.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Invasions also reward fully built versions of those resources and are fairly easy to do, so worth looking at. Doing the Grineer vs Corpus versions will piss off the faction you fight against eventually, but only in the sense that they'll send a boss mob after you; however, fighting in Infested Outbreak (where you automatically fight against Infested) carry no such stipulation and sometimes rewards unique things, too. Otherwise you fight for the side of your choice 3 times to qualify for the payout once the invasion ends.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm a fan of controlling minions, so when I ran into a Nekros player that totally seems like my jam, eventually.
Same here, just be aware that there's an unfortunate overlap of minion summoner playstyles and the one thing that DE actually seems to actively work against (which is automated afk farming) so most "minion" abilities are usually limited in some way (duration, mobility, control) to still force you to actively do something.

There's still a bunch of "confuse" abilities to cause enemy infighting. Just be aware that generally minion (or companion ) damage output is going to be drastically lower than the player's.

The one exception (railjack crewmate with a modded player gun) takes fairly long to unlock, but as a newer player you should still keep regular specters as an option in mind to help you clearing potentially lonely starchart nodes (usually solo interceptions).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Same here, just be aware that there's an unfortunate overlap of minion summoner playstyles and the one thing that DE actually seems to actively work against (which is automated afk farming) so most "minion" abilities are usually limited in some way (duration, mobility, control) to still force you to actively do something.

Totally understood, and not altogether unexpected. Even using Octavia's abilities to sow discord (pun intended) are entertaining enough, even if my buddy who started with me is putting up insane damage numbers by comparison. Basically if enemies are focusing on other things to shoot, I'm happy.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Sadly, nekros' minions do basically no damage even when using hyperspecialized endgame gimmick builds. They're basically walking distractions at the end of the day.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
They do damage? I thought their point was to make you invulnerable

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

They do damage? I thought their point was to make you invulnerable

Technically they, do, but like any ability that commandeers an enemy you run into the fact that is Enemies Damage does not scale with their Defenses.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

FreshFeesh posted:

Started playing a week days ago and looking for advice on what to do next...

I'm Mastery Rank 5 and have three maxed frames (Ember, Mag, Octavia). I've finished through Mercury and just unlocked Mars, though I'm still on Venus for the story missions. I guess I have to go fishing to get the mats to build an archwing for those missions?

Right now all the enemies seem to die very quickly but I'm assuming it won't always be that way; outside of Jackal's damage walls I never really feel in danger.

Are there weapons/frames I should be focusing on at this point, or should I focus on the story missions?

The "open world" areas on Venus and Earth and Deimos are extra stuff that you can always go back to and do later once you've finished mars. Just keep finishing planets and doing quests. You get an Archwing from a quest on Mars, then you can buy a blueprint from a clan dojo to be able to use it in atmosphere, but you'll need to farm up a bunch of materials from the Plains of Eidolon, outside Cetus.

One important tip is to level up your mods as much as you can. Mods with 10 levels don't need to be leveled up all the way, but ones with only 3 or 5 should be. Mods are your scaling.

If you're not in a clan, join the goon clan in the OP of this thread. People will give you rare mods that you really should have, but are tedious to farm. Also people will answer questions in game, faster than this thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Or join the discord where we will happily answer all new player questions, before inevitably descending into some conversation about Warframe minutiae that you will not understand but will one day be useful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Sadly, nekros' minions do basically no damage even when using hyperspecialized endgame gimmick builds. They're basically walking distractions at the end of the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-FbAKGyW70

Now this isn't new player friendly by several long stretches, but you can make Nekros a summoner man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Unfortunately, beyond the above build, the closest you can get to being a summoner main are (post-TNW spoilers) the weekly Veilbreaker missions, where freeing the dudes with the titular device will turn them into a buddy that fights by your side (with the exception of Sneaky Sabotage). You can collect as many buddies as you can free and they do contribute. The landing craft's ability also lets you call Kahl and his buddies down to regular missions to lend support fire; though in Warframe proper they're more notable for being "free" and immune to turning hostile on you the way regular spectres would.