Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm near the finale of Shadow of Rome and almost all the gimmicky arena fights are done. Just two more rounds then it's all boss fights and setpieces to finish things. The thing dragging it down is the round I just completed, breaking all the enemies statues. It's already a huge pain in the rear end whenever those missions come up, and then the final one starts putting them in weird places like up on a slightly raised wall so you have to use certain attacks with certain weapons to reach it, and one in the middle of an inaccessible spike pit that makes you throw rocks and weapons at it as there is no other way to get there. I only have two rounds left, one is a straightforward "Kill all the enemies" type mission, with only one actual target but it's a mission with finite enemies so you CAN just kill them all, and one that's a new gimmick that sounds cute (been using a walkthrough for strategies as some of the fights are REALLY mean, so I know the general flow of the rest of the game). It's overall a fun game, just certain arena type missions can be quite annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
RE4r's "storage" box. You can't put stuff like herbs, grenades, eggs in it. Only weapons or first aid sprays.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hector Delgado posted:

RE4r's "storage" box. You can't put stuff like herbs, grenades, eggs in it. Only weapons or first aid sprays.

Well it's not a fridge. The eggs would go bad.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

Well it's not a fridge. The eggs would go bad.

These are fresh eggs with protective coating they would keep well in a storage box. Not to mention rotten eggs do more damage.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Philippe posted:

The thing dragging down Ubisoft Connect for me is that it refuses to go online, and lately even to start, which means I can't play any of my open world collectathons anymore.

Had this problem for a while, it was because I didn't open it very often and whenever it opened it tried to update and would freeze up for some reason. Reinstalling fixed it temporarily, and eventually it just stopped happening.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

And I don't mean to come off like an old crank pining for the good old days but for every advance gaming has made since the days of blowing into a Nintendo cartridge, I feel have at least been partially offset by several of the other needlessly complex things I've brought up here and there in the thread. Games STILL ship broken. See: Cyberpunk, WWE and some Call of Duty type game. I'd say MORE games ship broken these days because developers can always be like "well, we'll just patch it".

You receive a console in Xmas and two new games, you're gonna be waiting a few hours to play anything. PC gamers have to deal with never ending conflicts, bugs and extension upgrades to get a game to run.

Well, think of it this way: games have always shipped broken, and always will. Sometimes it's just stuff that should be fixed, sometimes it's stuff that needs to be fixed. The only difference is that nowadays it can be patched, and the only reason it seems like more things are shipped broken is because you're made aware when they get fixed (well, the rising complexity of games also plays a part of it)

Like, if games like any of the original bunch of Final Fantasy games had been released these days, there'd still be a day-zero patch to address broken spells, equipment, and text errors and whatever else.

Having to have your console connected to online to play a single player is stupid as hell though, that's for certain.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Games can also have bugs or fresh annoyances patched into them now. There isn't always a budget to fix something that became hosed, either

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Games can also have bugs or fresh annoyances patched into them now. There isn't always a budget to fix something that became hosed, either

I'll always point out that FFXV got worse and buggier as they updated it.

You don't think you're getting a worse deal, since there's more content, but... well, a bunch of that content isn't actually well-implemented.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Mar 26, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

JackSplater posted:

Had this problem for a while, it was because I didn't open it very often and whenever it opened it tried to update and would freeze up for some reason. Reinstalling fixed it temporarily, and eventually it just stopped happening.

I fixed it by reinstalling it while I wasn't connected to my VPN, which is annoying but fine.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RE4 remake kept the terrible section after Krauser (which was already pushing it in terms of pacing) with the gatling turrets and waves of ganados. You've been fighting the military ganados for hours now, and you're so loving over it.

This was the one part of RE4 I hoped they would cut out or shorten. I always have to take a break at that part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Maybe this is more an effect of me not playing FPSes on controller much, but Metroid Prime Remastered's modern controls are somehow simultaneously too quick and too sluggish.

Metroid Prime's controls never really bothered me, because I always felt like it was reflective of the fact Metroid Prime Samus is just a loving tank on legs. She's not very maneuverable, and honestly she doesn't look it either, but she doesn't really have to be because the game's designed around that, you can take a million hits because the devs knew you weren't fast enough to dodge everything.

The modern controls change that, but not to a point where Samus doesn't still feel noticeably slow. So as a result I feel less like that walking tank, but I'm still constantly feeling like Samus is moving around too slowly.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Mar 26, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Syphon Filter has more than the one level that was in the psx demo disk?!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Len posted:

Syphon Filter has more than the one level that was in the psx demo disk?!

Maybe. I tried it a few nights ago and got completely stuck on the 1st level, something about killing power to a parking garage. Man I searched everywhere, saved some guys in a bank then gave up 5 minutes later. I was thinking I'd challenge myself and not look up a walkthru if I got stuck and that ended in failure lol.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I faintly recall it taking place in a metro that was on fire and young me just couldn’t understand what to do so I died a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gameplay of Diablo 4 is pretty fun but the storytelling hasn't advanced at all from 3. It is a load of standing around while a character talks at you. With lots of awkward breaks in the conversation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm guessing you're just another mute doing other people's bitch work who can't show up in any cinematics.

In most other rpgs they give you some kind of title so they can properly write you into the story. No matter what way you play Mass Effect, you will be praised as Commander Shepard.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm guessing you're just another mute doing other people's bitch work who can't show up in any cinematics.

In most other rpgs they give you some kind of title so they can properly write you into the story. No matter what way you play Mass Effect, you will be praised as Commander7 Shepard.

A story mod I was working on for Skyrim was going to have that as a joke: you'd find out that a character you'd been calling one name was actually someone else, and they were going to reply to the effect of "You of all people should know one can't always decide how people refer to them, Dragonborn."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In most other rpgs they give you some kind of title so they can properly write you into the story. No matter what way you play Mass Effect, you will be praised as Commander Shepard.

In Diablo 3 you were "the nephelim", it sucked. I wanna smack whoever taught game developers that word.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Diablo 3 went so hard into Christian mythos that I wish they'd just get goddamn JC out here already

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

credburn posted:

Diablo 3 went so hard into Christian mythos that I wish they'd just get goddamn JC out here already

4 gave me a lot of the same vibes. Giant cathedrals, italian-accented priests, constantly talking about sins and redemption and referring to an angel as Him and He.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Moon Monster posted:

In Diablo 3 you were "the nephelim", it sucked. I wanna smack whoever taught game developers that word.

In their defense, I'm almost entirely certain that The Nephilim were a thing back in the older Diablo prequel novels about the Sin War.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

the_steve posted:

In their defense, I'm almost entirely certain that The Nephilim were a thing back in the older Diablo prequel novels about the Sin War.

yep https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Scales_of_the_Serpent

all that happened was someone at blizzard decided diablo 3 had the tech and budget to make the story in game instead of in a thick manual

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

I used to think it'd be cool to do a God of War-style action game about the Harrowing of Hell, when Jesus kicked in Hell's door after the crucifixion and rampaged through the place rescuing the noble pagans and such.

But Dante's Inferno was basically that, and now what used to be God of War is about being a Sad Dad collecting crafting materials, so the moment's passed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Doom 2016 finally, and while I love the combat and how expressive Doom Marine is, the platforming for secrets kind of sucks. Feels like some jumps just don't have him grab the ledge so most of my deaths have been to platforming so far. Only on the second level, just got the chainsaw. Stopped just before the second gore nest.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I know an open beta isn't the same as a demo, but I feel like setting the playable area of Diablo IV in a drab tundra isn't great advertising

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve had BotW for four years, played it very sporadically and getting the first Divine Beast and to Gerudo town before not returning for a year. A few weeks ago I finally picked it back up, and it just finally clicked for me. I’ve finished every major quest and can kill the final boss whenever, but I’m exploring until I’m satisfied first.

Two complaints:

Apparently you can only have one manual save? Am I missing something?

Holy poo poo does it rain a lot and boy does it make exploring inconvenient. I was trying to read some islands off the east coast atop high pillars, only to have it rain twice when I tried to scale them. There was a shrine there in a pit. When I came out, it was raining again, so I couldn’t continue to explore the islands while it was up!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rain is the absolute shittiest thing that constantly gets in the way of exploring in BotW. Folks will try to tell you that it's not that bad, and that you can easily get around it with the gale power, but you can use that up in half a minute and you're still stuck with slippery climbing surfaces. Don't listen to their stockholm syndrome-influenced arguments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

grittyreboot posted:

I know an open beta isn't the same as a demo, but I feel like setting the playable area of Diablo IV in a drab tundra isn't great advertising

diablo fans like drab environments though

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The actual solution to rain in BotW is to make a campfire and pass time. Fast, easy, fun (it makes you look at the environment in a different way), and immersive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snake Maze posted:

The actual solution to rain in BotW is to make a campfire and pass time. Fast, easy, fun (it makes you look at the environment in a different way), and immersive.

If you can find an overhang. Otherwise, no fire.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Morpheus posted:

If you can find an overhang. Otherwise, no fire.

I'm not going to say that this can never happen, but in my casual 100% playthrough finding all the shrines without a guide, I never had it rain without being able to find an overhang or tree or something I could use.

At worst I would have to get a little videogamey and settle for someplace where the fire was under cover but link was sitting out in the rain.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sounds like if the solution to a mechanic is to skip forward in time until the mechanic is gone, it's a poo poo mechanic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's hard to believe that Santa Monica skipped putting equipment loadouts into God of War: Ragnarok. The number of things to equip would put any RPG to shame and in many cases even if you combined the equipment of your entire party compared to Ragnarok's 1 (and 1/3) playable character.

The game is clearly designed for the player to unlock powerful synergies in different builds but switching between them must be so tedious. Just the Amulet by itself has 9 slots.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

kazil posted:

Sounds like if the solution to a mechanic is to skip forward in time until the mechanic is gone, it's a poo poo mechanic

I’m really surprised there was no set bonus for the climbing gear to remove or reduce the effect of rain. Would have still been annoying to have to change clothes, but better than nothing.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

grittyreboot posted:

I spent the weekend trying the open beta on Xbox

MOAR LIKE DIABLO 400 SHADES OF GRAY

Tried Druid, wizard, and necromancer. Your characters just disappear into the greyness, the only thing that stood out were summoned skeletons.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i dunno, the first time i got obliterated by a lightning strike in botw was metal as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HAmbONE posted:

I spent the weekend trying the open beta on Xbox

MOAR LIKE DIABLO 400 SHADES OF GRAY

Tried Druid, wizard, and necromancer. Your characters just disappear into the greyness, the only thing that stood out were summoned skeletons.

Diablo games can't have color or the vocal nerds on the internet flip their poo poo. Or course they just find other reasons to flip their poo poo like:

The necromancer not being sexy enough
The druid being too fat

But hey it's got drab environments and the skill tree is back so they're not grumbling about that at least

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The problem with rain in Botw is there's no benefit to it. It's not like a risk/reward thing where you can find more valuable loot, it's strictly a detriment and there's no reason not to just skip it. I think there's one shrine that only appears during a storm but that's it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The elephant divine beast making constant rain on the Zora area made it so you basically had to follow the carefully constructed path, which was kinda cool. Outside of that, the rain was crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
actually iirc rain makes enemies wet so you can do thunder weapon AOE stuff.

also the trick to rain is to grind shrines to max out stamina and have an inventory of stamina dishes and just brute force it.