Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Episode 13 is an all time great.

edit: awkward snipe, talking about Ghost Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like jellymon and associates, havent actually watched the show but any episodes focusing on her would be my fav probably

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Slime girls are boss

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like I liked that finale more than most people did. But, man, do I wish we got a bit more time with everything getting thrown around.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I guess that finale was the other main possibility I saw re: Proximamon, which is to say it just didn't show up at all, which is fair. There wasn't a lot of time, and the core conflict was with Regulusmon anyway.

Seems a bit weird to me to establish a big villain for the future that the protagonists cannot possibly be alive for, though. I understand that they needed to have a reason to establish the human-digimon harmony country, but this didn't seem like the right way to do it. I'm happy enough with the ending, that detail is just very strange.

I wonder how and when the card game is going to implement Quantumon. Definitely a level 7, but it could really be any color and have any effect. Guess we'll get more of an idea of what to expect when it gets added to the DRB.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like the invasion force was meant to be an anticlimax gag. But it does seem pretty good material to harvest for a future movie, which would also be the best chance for Arcturusmon and Proximamon to show up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

I feel like the invasion force was meant to be an anticlimax gag. But it does seem pretty good material to harvest for a future movie, which would also be the best chance for Arcturusmon and Proximamon to show up.

It definitely had movie bait vibes, but considering there's no indication that a Ghost Game movie is in the works...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m kind of holding out hope that they get to do something more with Ghost Game in the future (whether it be a movie or a full fledged sequel series) as despite rushing the ending a little it was a pretty fun ride overall

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game 67!: I was completely unprepared for this ending. It had a certain amount of stuff that I expected in it but not all of it, and a frankly insane amount of poo poo I would not have guessed in my wildest loving dreams.

Like, the ending was genuinely kind of audacious with how completely buckwild it went at the end there. I was fully expecting an open ending with the cast more or less continuing on with what they had been doing, and um, I guess that's not NOT what happened…

I suppose in hindsight Ghost Game was always a series that enjoyed doing wild and screwy things with its setting and its premise while also having genuinely good action and production values, so basically the finale just kicked it all up to the extreme. And the show did end once again pushing the value of coexistence and mutual understanding, even with people of different viewpoints who are initially antagonistic so that's nothing new. And as a bonus it managed to answer a good handful of the show's running questions so that was nice.

Still, holy gently caress that ending. Yes show, I would definitely like some more.

Super final thoughts: I think I've articulated this a couple of times, but my pithy summation of Ghost Game is that it probably would have been better if they serialized it more consistently, but I don't think it's necessarily worse for choosing to start as it meant to go on. It was a show that chose to tell its story primarily through recurring theme and motif, and chose to progress its characters both by hard evolution and most subtly by broadly improving their capabilities, networking, and the scale of challenge they engaged with. It's definitely not for everyone, but like I've said before it was way far into my wheelhouse and I was willing to watch this show more or less forever, and I still kind of am. It's a singular kind of Digimon show, and I think I love it for that.

I dismissed the idea of an earlier, but now I am genuinely curious if the show is aiming towards having some kind of epilogue movie or OVA given neither Arcturusmon nor Proximamon showed up for the finale.

See you all next week for Seekers!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seekers isn’t an anime in case you weren’t aware (it’s a novel that I think is being expanded to some other forms of media)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes but it goes up next week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Yes but it goes up next week

That’s getting an English translation right? Where will we be able to find it?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

That’s getting an English translation right? Where will we be able to find it?

Main Digimon website.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digimon TCG had a rules update!

quote:

[New Battle Flow]

1. Your Digimon attacks
2. [When Attacking] effects activate
3. [Counter] Timing (Opponent’s `”When your opponent’s Digimon attacks”` effects activate
4. Opponent’s [Counter] effects activate (Only 1 Counter may be used per attack)
5. [Block] Timing (Your opponent’s Digimon with <Blocker> may block
6. Digimon or security battle

quote:

[New Game Preparation Flow]

1. Shuffle your deck and Digi-egg deck
2. Decide which players go first and second
3. Draw 5 cards from your deck
4. Look at your hand. You may choose to mulligan once. If you do, return your hand to your deck and shuffle. Then, draw 5 cards. If you choose not to mulligan, move to the next step.
5. Place 5 cards from the top of your deck into your security stack face down.
6. Set the memory gauge to 0 and start the game.

With new cards as well

quote:

MetalGreymon ACE BT14-014 SR <03>
Ultimate | Vaccine | Cyborg

[Digivolve: Lvl.4 w/ [Greymon] in its name: 3 cost]

(Hand) [Counter] <Blast Evolution> (Your Digimon may digivolve into this card without paying the cost)
[On Play] [When Digivolving] Delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with 6000 DP or less.
----
ACE: <Overflow -3> (When this card is sent from battle area or under your card to other places, lose 3 memory)

quote:

Zudomon ACE BT14-026 SR <03>
Ultimate | Vaccine | Sea Beast

(Hand) [Counter] <Blast Evolution> (Your Digimon may digivolve into this card without paying the cost)
[On Play] [When Digivolving] Trash 2 digivolution cards from under your opponent's Digimon. Then, return 1 of your opponent's Digimon with no digivolution cards to the hand.
----
ACE: <Overflow -3> (When this card is sent from battle area or under your card to other places, lose 3 memory)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo, they actually did it. They finally gave us a mulligan. Thank god, losing games to drawing unplayable is the biggest loving bummer. I'm so glad that Bandai actually seems to listen to the playerbase. It's annoying that it took this long for them to do this, but at least they ultimately did. From the sounds, people are really happy that you draw your hand and choose whether or not to mulligan before security, too, which is cool.

Oh, there was a MetalGarurumon ACE too, I'll post the translation.

quote:

MetalGarurumon Ace
Mega / Data / Cyborg

[Evolution: 3 from Lv.5 with 'Garurumon' in name]

(Hand) [Counter] <Blast Evolution> (You may evolve 1 of your Digimon into this Digimon at no cost)
[On Evolve] By trashing up to 3 cards in your hand, gain 1 Memory for each card trashed.

[On Attack] (1/Turn) By trashing 1 card in your hand, delete 1 opposing Digimon with the lowest Lv.
--
<Overflow 4> When this card in the Battle Area or under a card would be moved to somewhere other than those 2 areas, lose 4 Memory.

I just noticed how low the play cost is for these megas. Holy poo poo, 6 play cost for MetalGarurumon and 4 for Zudomon? That's buckwild. I imagine MetalGreymon is also 4 cost, but the play cost is hidden by the art, which is kinda funny.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 26, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thank goodness the Ex rule (Ne; Ace) doesn't effect a win condition like PKMN does.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's really funny how Ghost Game manages to kick Tri and DA:LEK's rear end by the ending actually showing the kids becoming ambassadors between humans and Digimon, while we're only told that Taichi grows up to become one.

Hell, Tri's first two movies tried asking "what if Digimons become violent in the human world and people get scared?" but it never really went anywhere with it. By comparison, Ghost Game's core theme has always been about treating Digimon as refugees who just need some assistance integrating with the human world. Ghost Game treating them as people that needs help and not just monsters of the week to slay makes it feel more genuine than Tri's attempt, and it paid off in dividends in the final episodes by having the Digimon come back to assist humans. It may be a simple message of paying kindness forward, but I really liked it nonetheless. :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's also a Wargreymon ACE

MetalGarurumon Ace
Mega / Vaccine / Dragonkin

[Evolution: 3 from Lv.5 with 'Greymon' in name]

(Hand) [Counter] <Blast Evolution> (You may evolve 1 of your Digimon into this Digimon at no cost)
[Blocker]

[All Turns] (1/Turn) When a card is removed from a security stack, unsuspend this Digimon.
--
<Overflow 4> When this card in the Battle Area or under a card would be moved to somewhere other than those 2 areas, lose 4 Memory.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 26, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Double post to talk about Ghost Game 67: The first half of this episode felt like Takato and Guilmon's bit from when they formed Dukemon and once again, I feel like it could have happened much earlier, but shockingly, it was resolved pretty well. The visual of Gammamon and all his forms working together to beat up Regulusmon was awesome.

I correctly deduced that Quantamon was voiced by Saori Hayami, despite the performance being pretty different from most of her characters.

Very good ending, despite everything they had to wrap up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There's a part of me that thought Gulus was full of poo poo when he talked about the invasion force and was lying to help Gammamon and the rest by diffusing the tension.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I'm weirdly kinda satisfied with the ending? It's certainly wasn't perfect, but I liked the shaking up of the status quo of the world. I liked Espimon hanging out with Aoi and I liked that Meicrackmon is stalking Fukatsu so they'll probably make amends at some point (honestly thought it would save him and Kotaro from Gogmamon, but I get that there was no time).

Real talk though, what was the point of Hiro keeping MoonMilleniumon?

On to Seekers next week. Please god, don't be machine translated! :pray:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How’s the Seekers novel going to work anyway? Does the whole book come out at once or are they just releasing a chapter or two per week?

Also have there been any other Digimon novels out of curiosity (and if so are they any good/translated)?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Real talk though, what was the point of Hiro keeping MoonMilleniumon?

I figure it's a marker of Hiro stepping up and taking an active and responsible role in doing exactly the thing they've been setting up him to do, and doing what he did in the ending.

Larryb posted:

How’s the Seekers novel going to work anyway? Does the whole book come out at once or are they just releasing a chapter or two per week?

Also have there been any other Digimon novels out of curiosity (and if so are they any good/translated)?

Seekers is going to run its first 7 chapters daily, then shift to weekly updates for the next year.

And there was a novelization of the OG Digimon Adventure (which has been mostly fan translated) which is pretty good. There's a couple of things that got canonized from it incidentally, the name "Homeostasis" is first used in it for instance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, is Seekers going to be free to read in that case?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Should be free, yeah. Probably will be added to this page. Supposed to have a simultaneous release for all languages, too. Only the Japanese version will get a narrator, though (Gammamon's voice actress).

https://digimon.net/digimonseekers/

If you want an idea of how it might be structured, it's been pointed out that the guy working on Seekers also worked on Anima Gear; another web novel series Bandai did over several years that concluded back in January.

https://www.bandai.co.jp/candy/animagear/story/

Omnicrom posted:

I figure it's a marker of Hiro stepping up and taking an active and responsible role in doing exactly the thing they've been setting up him to do, and doing what he did in the ending.

You're right, it's just a little unsatisfying to have him stare ominously at it in the dark a couple episodes back and not really have it mean anything more than that.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Your right, it's just a little unsatisfying to have him stare ominously at it in the dark a couple episodes back and not really have it mean anything more than that.

My reading was that it did mean more than that, remember that the scene of Hiro watching it in the dark comes immediately after the gathering with the Digimon community where they discuss the GRB corrosion and the fact the Digital World seems to have possibly been destroyed, or at the very least that the Digimon may have permanently lost their home. We get a scene of the various Digimon being told what's happened to the Digital World and them all wondering what, if anything, they should do, or even if they can do against a world destroying threat. It then cuts to Hiro staring at Moon Millenniumon and then admitting to Bakumon that he has a lot on his mind, before the next scene has him directly suggest they should go to the Digital World to try and find what's happening and stop it.

In other words, confronted with an apocalyptic threat, Hiro seems to spend the night staring at the core of a previous apocalyptic threat they managed to overcome before suggesting that yes, they might really have a chance to do something.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Ok, yeah, when you lay it out like that I can see what you mean. The hiatus had me forgetting bits here and there.

Also, it seem GG's series composer is stepping down to have more time for script writing:
https://twitter.com/RavelMonte/status/1639962863769907202

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 26, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't help but feel Ghost Game got some really hasty rewrites. It'd explain why Gammamon has two evolutions that never appeared, why several plot points got dropped completely (Zassoumon and MoonMillenniumon are debatable, but what isn't is the GS Ball that was whatever the hell Espimon was carrying for "the real" Hiro that was never shown), why the non-Siriusmon Ultimates had a whole one fight each where they mattered (in both cases their introductions), and why the ending has such an obvious exposition drop of things the show never got to do but that would've been an obvious finale and a way for Proximamon to appear.

But you know what? I think Ghost Game was good. It had no plot but every individual episode was good to excellent, all the characters, human and Digimon, felt like living beings with their own character arcs, the animation was surprisingly consistent with moments of greatness nearly every episode, both insert songs rocked, and it went way harder on the idea of humans and Digimon and the difficulties it'd bring than any other series.

I really, really want a sequel to this to show us what comes out of it all. How the worlds change together, how they deal with the crisis to come, GulusGammamon serving as a snarky sidekick to a more grown-up but still cute Gammamon. I want to see where this all goes and it's a shame it'll never happen because this isn't Adventure and Digimon doesn't get movies anymore. But then again, considering Digimon's track record with sequels...

God, it'll be a quiet period for a while now. It's so weird to not have a Digimon anime anymore despite this being the norm for so long. Seekers won't fill that hole but I hope it gives birth to some conversation anyways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, there is the 02 movie but given its predecessors I don’t exactly have high hopes for that one (I’ll still watch it anyway though)

But yeah, I’d love it if Ghost Game got a sequel of sorts. In any case I hope we don’t have too long a drought before the next Digimon anime is announced (considering GG dropped right after Colon I was hoping they were going back to doing regular back to back seasons again but seems like that’s not the case)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

It'd explain why Gammamon has two evolutions that never appeared

I'll point out that the profiles for Arcturusmon and Proximamon specifically have said from the start that they are "theoretical" forms whose existence has not been confirmed in the digital world, which is not a particularly subtle hint of "Sirs not appearing in this anime."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Quantumon got added to the Reference Book. She’s a Fairy type with the Data attribute. I expected Cyborg, personally

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Fairy makes sense with BloomLordmon as her royal guard and that kind of ancient city in the clouds motif for her home. She did visually parse more as a cyborg though, or at least a hybrid of the two.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Quantumon got added to the Reference Book. She’s a Fairy type with the Data attribute. I expected Cyborg, personally

I was actually expecting God Man/God/Shaman. I can't help but wonder if they chose Fairy so she'll import readily into the TCG.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

I was actually expecting God Man/God/Shaman. I can't help but wonder if they chose Fairy so she'll import readily into the TCG.

I guess if they intend to include her in the BloomHydra/Rosemon decks, that would be the cleanest way to do it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Golux posted:

I'll point out that the profiles for Arcturusmon and Proximamon specifically have said from the start that they are "theoretical" forms whose existence has not been confirmed in the digital world, which is not a particularly subtle hint of "Sirs not appearing in this anime."

I'd believe that had the series not ended in a Digimon who ran an uncountable amount of simulations about the Digital World, as in, you know, those where those two would theoretically appear in.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing that didn't sit well with me in GG's finale was how Hiro and the others correctly called out Quantumon for using the other Digimon as part of their plans, only for the partner Digimon to assure them they're cool with it. Maybe it just especially bothered me because I've seen some bad webcomics where a character manipulating and using other characters get a pass because they're nominally part of the good guys. In any case, I guess it also reinforces the idea that Digimons don't share human morality or emotions but they can learn/be taught by the humans.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think they weren't against it because it because it led them to meet their best friends.

Also, Jellymon probably appreciates something that diabolical.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

amigolupus posted:

One thing that didn't sit well with me in GG's finale was how Hiro and the others correctly called out Quantumon for using the other Digimon as part of their plans, only for the partner Digimon to assure them they're cool with it. Maybe it just especially bothered me because I've seen some bad webcomics where a character manipulating and using other characters get a pass because they're nominally part of the good guys. In any case, I guess it also reinforces the idea that Digimons don't share human morality or emotions but they can learn/be taught by the humans.

It really seemed for a moment like they were about to attack and overthrow god. Both Quantumon's "ghost game" and the revelation of the Endbringer felt almost like intentional misdirections.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd believe that had the series not ended in a Digimon who ran an uncountable amount of simulations about the Digital World, as in, you know, those where those two would theoretically appear in.

i think you're reading too much into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1640791907419803663?s=20

so there we have it. It seems Toei didn't have any idea about Arcturusmon and Proximamon.