Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what kind of mouth breathing idiot spends $175/day on an Airbnb an hour away from the destination where they have to pay for gas and learning when they could just pay $200/day for a hotel actually at their destination?

this is my question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

class reunions, family reunions. People house shopping. College friends meeting back up and wanting a place their kids could play (the pond is a big hit). People attending weddings (one of these groups poo poo the bed and tried to wash the poop, disaster). People with pets who can't put them in hotels easily. Basically anyone with a lot of stuff or large items they can't fit in a hotel room. I remember a nightmare years ago trying to get a kayak into a hotel room through a window so that it didn't get stolen, would have been a lot easier to put it in an Airbnb.

It's honestly crazy, I thought he'd have zero bookings. He's nowhere near exurbs, like I said just dead industrial towns, and 10 minutes to an interstate

People in town temporarily for work, especially with hybrid/remote workers. Couples splitting up that need short-term transitional housing. People who can't get a lease and are just juggling airbnbs and credit cards until they go flat broke. Parties.

People use airbnb's in my old neighborhood in Philly as underground clubs

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Non-luxury hotels suck. Low thread-count sheets, no kitchen, you risk sharing walls with a bunch of high schoolers making noise until late at night, gotta pay extra for parking if you’re in a city.

I hate what Airbnbs have done to housing and some hosts can be total assholes but but it’s just so much more pleasant in my experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I dunno i think a vacation is already a splurge, eating out is just part of the experience of trying places you won't have a chance too otherwise

a hotel I stayed at in vienna had a totally sick complimentary breakfast tho, just tables and tables of food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all pleasure travel should be banned except bicycle touring

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Non-luxury hotels suck. Low thread-count sheets, no kitchen, you risk sharing walls with a bunch of high schoolers making noise until late at night, gotta pay extra for parking if you’re in a city.

I hate what Airbnbs have done to housing and some hosts can be total assholes but but it’s just so much more pleasant in my experience.

lmfao jesus this poster should be relegated to tents

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You can tell it's luxury, because it's expensive.

Why is it expensive? Because it's luxury.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Literally everything that airbnb does is done by hotels and other businesses. This "oh you can only do this at an Airbnb" is a cop out. What airbnb does is what every other gig economy app does, which is lower costs through regulatory evasion (zoning laws, safety requirements, etc) , tax evasion and union busting.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

but my special edge case totally justifies those societal harms!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
A friend of mine tried to start an Air BnB as a side hustle during the pandemic and it turned out the people who rented from him damaged the property and proceeded to sue him for alleged injuries.

There are all sorts of personal injury plaintiff attorneys who view Air BnB's insurance programs a some kind of system to game where you can try to squeeze some easy money without a court case, so you all need to be careful about that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We really need some sort of regulatory solution to separate "renting your spare room out to make some cash" from "buy up ten houses in a neighborhood to use exclusively for short-term rentals"

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You can tell it's luxury, because it's expensive.

Why is it expensive? Because it's luxury.

Look at how shiny and new and modernistic the designs of these rooms are! Luxury!

*goofy space alien-rear end showerhead dispenses pathetic trickle of water when turned on full blast*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We really need some sort of regulatory solution to separate "renting your spare room out to make some cash" from "buy up ten houses in a neighborhood to use exclusively for short-term rentals"

Yeah I think that's the big difference. No one really cares if some guy rents out his house now and then to live in a prepper shack instead. But it's absolutely bullshit to pull prime locations off the market to run as an unlicensed hotel.

Frankly I wish more people just gamed the eviction systems for the airbnbs - if they're going to pretend they aren't hotels, they can enjoy not having all of the special laws hotels do to kick people out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Literally everything that airbnb does is done by hotels and other businesses. This "oh you can only do this at an Airbnb" is a cop out. What airbnb does is what every other gig economy app does, which is lower costs through regulatory evasion (zoning laws, safety requirements, etc) , tax evasion and union busting.

this isn't exactly true. if you're planning a bachelor party (or the earlier-mentioned friend reunion) you could get a bunch of adjoining hotel rooms, but it isn't the same as renting out a 6br with a pool and outdoor bar, and you don't have to worry about annoying other people through the thin rear end hotel walls

but that's about the only thing airbnb has over hotels right now. if you're a family on vacation and want a kitchen, or single and need short-term accommodations while you look for a place to rent or whatever, you can get that from like a residence or fairfield inn and it will be cheaper

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'd say air bnbs CAN have a better location than a hotel and could save you the hassle of renting a car.

hotels are usually in the loving worst locations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

yes if only that idea existed before airbnb. say why is it called airbnb anyway?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

hotels are usually in the loving worst locations.

???

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

indigi posted:

this isn't exactly true. if you're planning a bachelor party (or the earlier-mentioned friend reunion) you could get a bunch of adjoining hotel rooms, but it isn't the same as renting out a 6br with a pool and outdoor bar, and you don't have to worry about annoying other people through the thin rear end hotel walls

but that's about the only thing airbnb has over hotels right now. if you're a family on vacation and want a kitchen, or single and need short-term accommodations while you look for a place to rent or whatever, you can get that from like a residence or fairfield inn and it will be cheaper

There are plenty of villas, cabins, multiroom suites, bed and breakfasts and so on that all do precisely that type of thing. The difference for Airbnb that will make it "better" and cheaper is that the airbnb doesn't have to worry about zoning regulations (which drives up price for hotels as well as limits locations), safety regulations (which drive up cost by requiring emergency exits and sprinklers/etc), labor contracts and so on.

Like, family gatherings, bachelor parties, etc all existed before airbnb existed. The only thing airbnb does is bypass regulations, taxes and unions.

That 6br with a pool and outdoor bar is only "affordable" because it pays taxes and fees as if it was a residence rather than a business, avoids all the limitations on commercial property, and relies on unpaid or informal labor rather than contracted workers for the cleaning and maintenance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

joepinetree posted:

There are plenty of villas, cabins, multiroom suites, bed and breakfasts and so on that all do precisely that type of thing. The difference for Airbnb that will make it "better" and cheaper is that the airbnb doesn't have to worry about zoning regulations (which drives up price for hotels as well as limits locations), safety regulations (which drive up cost by requiring emergency exits and sprinklers/etc), labor contracts and so on.

Like, family gatherings, bachelor parties, etc all existed before airbnb existed. The only thing airbnb does is bypass regulations, taxes and unions.

That 6br with a pool and outdoor bar is only "affordable" because it pays taxes and fees as if it was a residence rather than a business, avoids all the limitations on commercial property, and relies on unpaid or informal labor rather than contracted workers for the cleaning and maintenance.

Outdoor bar? Try poles for dancing, that's the new standard for a party pad: https://stayminty.com/cities/nashville/

Look at this bullshit. I hate it. All of these are cheaper than a single lovely hotel room at the Day's Inn because they're dodging regulations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

joepinetree posted:

There are plenty of villas, cabins, multiroom suites, bed and breakfasts and so on that all do precisely that type of thing.

there aren't, I spent a long time looking

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

indigi posted:

there aren't, I spent a long time looking

Yes, there are. Because all those things you've mentioned have existed long before airbnb was a thing. They may not be within your budget, but let's be very clear as to why that is.
Like, even seasonal and short term rentals aren't new. People have been renting beach houses for as long as beach houses existed. The difference is that before you had to register as a business to do it because you'd be handling the payments and bookings. And now you can just turf that to airbnb and skip all regulations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Yes, there are.

not when and where I was looking :)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol I don't think you're going to change Airbnb users' minds by telling them there are alternatives but they can't afford them

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

indigi posted:

not when and where I was looking :)

Probably because airbnb is allowing to you bypass either zoning or some other regulation. Which goes back to exactly what i was saying.

Don't pretend for a second that this is not what is going on.

shrike82 posted:

lol I don't think you're going to change Airbnb users' minds by telling them there are alternatives but they can't afford them

I am not trying to convince people to use or not use airbnb. I am just pointing out what is going on. Airbnb doesn't have some magic business model. All it does is bypass regulations, taxes and union contracts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Probably because airbnb is allowing to you bypass either zoning or some other regulation. Which goes back to exactly what i was saying.

Don't pretend for a second that this is not what is going on.

I’m not pretending anything, I said one area where I experienced Airbnb delivering a service beyond what preexisting business structures offered (for whatever reason) and you ultimately agree with me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

indigi posted:

for whatever reason

The reason is unprosecuted crime

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

these people exist??

Even if you don't do cooking while traveling it's nice having something larger than a minibar fridge to store restaurant leftovers and/or sandwich makings, or to brew up decent coffee instead of the yuk pee-water coffee in hotels.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That said the element hotels are wonderful, or at least they were when I was using them a lot 10 years ago, and have all the comforts I've needed while traveling.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Office buildings are at ~24% vacancy rates here in Chicago. Turn that into housing and bam -- you have folks living in the cubicles in which they also work!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A Bad King posted:

Office buildings are at ~24% vacancy rates here in Chicago. Turn that into housing and bam -- you have folks living in the cubicles in which they also work!

Live, work, play!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Live, work, play!

There are often gyms with nicely appointed showers and locker room space located in the building. You don't even need to provide separate berthing units. Just do the van home cot-bed/office desk, rename then expand the gym into the hygiene center, and turn the cafeteria into a community garden kitchen. You never have to leave your Mega-Block! Luxury at affordable pricing!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wonder if they're some kind of tax scheme, like they can write the "loss" off if they just sit empty or something.

Here in Australia you can do this. You can claim a tax deduction for the difference between your rental income and the mortgage repayments. It's called negative gearing. You buy a place, rent it out (or "attempt" to) and get a sweet tax deduction while the property appreciates in value.

Then, as long as you've held the property for a year, you get another sweet tax break--you're only taxed on half of the capital gains from selling. So if you make 100K profit from selling your place after expenses etc, you only get taxed on 50K.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I never had an issue finding cheap hotel rooms in good hotels. Idk how people struggle with it. Like my last one it was a studio in a Marriott that if I wanted to stay would be cheaper than renting a studio in same city per month lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Celexi posted:

I never had an issue finding cheap hotel rooms in good hotels. Idk how people struggle with it. Like my last one it was a studio in a Marriott that if I wanted to stay would be cheaper than renting a studio in same city per month lol

I looked for a hotel for near my sick mother in laws hospital and the cheapest one was $200/night , this wasnt on a weekend and was near north chicago so plenty of options

Anecdotes all over

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no way that a hotel room was cheaper than renting an apartment anywhere worth visiting or living

e: actually last time I visited friends in NYC I got a room in a Courtyard Marriott for 110/night, but I was there M-Th and prices went over $200 for Th-Sun. maybe you can get a lovely apartment in Manhattan for less than ~1k/week?

indigi has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Mar 28, 2023

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mastershakeman posted:

I looked for a hotel for near my sick mother in laws hospital and the cheapest one was $200/night , this wasnt on a weekend and was near north chicago so plenty of options

Anecdotes all over

Employee discounts, aaa discounts, and more

Most people have access to them and don't know

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Also get over any vestigial boomer-hate you may carry & join AARP; their discounts are extensive, especially for travel.

Plus you'll be old too, someday.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
All people age 50 and older are eligible for membership with AARP.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrilliantFemaleBluegill-mobile.mp4

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

You can even join if you're under 50.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fwiw at small non-luxury hotels if you just ask for the aarp or aaa rate the clerk will never ask to see a membership card. they have full control of the price so will just knock five or ten bucks off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i used to charge assholes so much money lol. on any given night i had identical rooms for $149 all the way down to $60 for legit discount-havers, like truckers or people with a prenegotiated corporate account