Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The point of the described plate is that it's just an easy meal to prepare for tired parents cooking for children who don't have any taste anyways. It's not like what you'd get from fast food or a restaurant. Warm it up and plop it on a plate. Like one of these things but you assemble it yourself out of frozen fries, fishsticks, and a can o beans.

anyways toddswollop clive's your uncle pip pip cheerios stiff upper lip god save the pound righto bobby

Tbf id never feed a kid this either

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

americans: why do you call things stupid names in the uk

also americans: why do you call it mushy peas just because it's mushy peas

Nobody was complaining about the name of your pea goo.

Although I guess mushy doesn’t seem to normally be in the american lexicon. Technically it's the same preparation as mashed potatoes, but for some reason the English feel the need to shorten that too.

I think the biggest reason British dialects sound silly to American ears is because Americans are also aware of the cultivated "proper" formal British English dialect that tried and failed to impose order on the language, and all the informal, relaxed dialects (of which there are very many from the higher density of accent/dialect differences in the UK) sound more obviously like a failure to be the proper British English. Probably even what it was specifically constructed to stamp out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is the red body part next to the nose?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horrible feeling its supposed to be an eye....

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Imagine how hard you have to try to gently caress up poutine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I guess mushy doesn’t seem to normally be in the american lexicon. Technically it's the same preparation as mashed potatoes, but for some reason the English feel the need to shorten that too.

I never really thought about it, but I do use 'mushy' reasonably commonly - but as a descriptor for things that are cooked too long, not a description of the mashing process. So I guess it has a negative connotation by default for me, "mashed peas" still sounds odd but not like it's a judgment on the food.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is the red body part next to the nose?

Nipple

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Yeah, almost positive it's the eye mold partly under the spoon.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pogonodon posted:

Yeah, almost positive it's the eye mold partly under the spoon.

Huh, these are still a super popular thing in Japan, oddly enough. Used to be guaranteed one every month when I subbed to Japan Crate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Getting a lot of mixed signals from their choices of adjectives

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

It's also a mostly outdated for a prostitute, which is another strange job for an unemployment office to recommend to anyone, really. That was the first meaning to come to my American mind when I read it in high school.

Yeah, same, I remember reading that word in that context in, I don’t quite remember, Death of a Salesman?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a few products in the 90s with stronger theming.

"Make some tasty gummy bodyparts" Okay, weird. Whatever. "Eat these weird gross horrifying mad science experiments!" Now you're talking. That's gonna make kids interested.

Japan instead goes for cute and cheap. I've actually even seen these at the grocery store, but I've never tried myself. It looks kinda fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWiU9X0vf0

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the biggest reason British dialects sound silly to American ears is because Americans...

Everything after this post was wrong so I'll just complete it from there with the right answer:

...are by and large poorly educated simpletons whose exceptionalism means they're surprised and weirdly fascinated by the idea that English can be natively spoken in different ways.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

monkeytennis posted:

Fish fingers aren't the same as the fish you get from the chippy. That’s cod or haddock battered and fried.

I'm living near the ocean and now and I really miss freshwater walleye and perch. It's all haddock here and it's not nearly as good.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm living near the ocean and now and I really miss freshwater walleye and perch. It's all haddock here and it's not nearly as good.
I had fish & chips with grouper in the Bahamas that was out of this world, holy poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hirayuki posted:

I had fish & chips with grouper in the Bahamas that was out of this world, holy poo poo.

Greuben sandwich. You’ll thank me later.

I try not to eat grouper too much though, they’re under pretty intense fishing pressure. :(

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Same, buddy

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Everything after this post was wrong so I'll just complete it from there with the right answer:

...are by and large poorly educated simpletons whose exceptionalism means they're surprised and weirdly fascinated by the idea that English can be natively spoken in different ways.

:jerkbag:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were a few products in the 90s with stronger theming.

"Make some tasty gummy bodyparts" Okay, weird. Whatever. "Eat these weird gross horrifying mad science experiments!" Now you're talking. That's gonna make kids interested.

Japan instead goes for cute and cheap. I've actually even seen these at the grocery store, but I've never tried myself. It looks kinda fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWiU9X0vf0

You can see a major difference where the American products are quick and simple to make which appeals to young children and their lack of patience and in the Japanese kits the careful construction of it all is most of the fun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It's also a mostly outdated for a prostitute, which is another strange job for an unemployment office to recommend to anyone, really. That was the first meaning to come to my American mind when I read it in high school.
I guess people nicknaming him Rent Boy didn't help you any

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Write better next time pls, :thanks:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Someone threw out some unusual cookbooks, and I can't find a better thread for them:

The ?official? Aldi cookbook has no pictures at all.

The book of 100 Müslis has only generic stuff. For example oatmeal with orangejuice instead of milk and a splash of lemon juice which I dislike

The double chicken decorations book, has decoration ideas:

The probably would be cool for someone with a child the right age.

And somehow this here "warm grape salad":
The heart is paprika boiled in butter, garnished with Mayonese and food colouring.
The "soup" is boiled white wine with the butter from the paprika and Champaign and spices.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Aldidente is inspired.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Strong Meatboat energy from that chicken cookbook.
Also it's all right to just write a shorter book, there's no need to use a whole column to explain the concept of breakfast cereals in orange juice.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Write better next time pls, :thanks:

I was leaning into the uppity British persona in response to an American saying British words and accents sound funny, I'm sorry if it landed bad but I wasn't being 100% serious

I'm a language teacher and I do find the subject very interesting though. I think the main reason Americans find British accents funny/weird is just one of exposure - it's the form of non-american native English they're most likely to encounter, given the population of the UK and its cultural exports (Harry Potter, Sherlock, Bond, Dr Who etc). The overall similarity just highlights and amplifies the small differences and makes them seem funny/weird/whatever.

I don't think it's anything to do with differences between RP and other British accents as OP argued, as in my experience RP is the most widely impersonated/mocked British accent going.

I imagine if the population and cultural output of the UK and idk New Zealand were swapped, you'd have the same thing happening but just with Americans making fun of Kiwi accents instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was leaning into the uppity British persona

this backfires on you every single time you do it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gotta remember to make it funny

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MrYenko posted:

I try not to eat grouper too much though, they’re under pretty intense fishing pressure. :(
It's a shame because grouper is loving delicious.

If you can get it while in season, snook is also excellent.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SlothfulCobra posted:

No, I'm going to say it's purely the name. What if refried beans were called mushy pintos? What if hummus was mushy chickpeas?

You can flick your beans to any degree of goo you want but don't call them mushy.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

By popular demand posted:

You can see a major difference where the American products are quick and simple to make which appeals to young children and their lack of patience and in the Japanese kits the careful construction of it all is most of the fun.

It’s definitely all about the construction; my daughter has had a few of those kits and the end product was always… weird. More slushy than gummy in texture, and somehow gritty. But she loves making them, being all about the crafty stuff, so

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just to note, mushy peas aren't mashed, they just get like that from cooking. They are made from marrowfat peas, where the sugar in the green peas has transformed into starch.
When I was a kid, they used to come as dried peas in a plastic bag, with a tablet of (I think) baking soda included, to help them cook.

Nasty, nasty peas.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can plant those dried peas and they'll grow, which is cool.

Mushy peas are delicious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zero_Grade posted:

It's a shame because grouper is loving delicious.

If you can get it while in season, snook is also excellent.

Ya, there’s a reason they’re under pressure. :v:

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten snook. The couple I’ve caught, I released.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Americans have pea soup which is literally just mushy peas with a bit of broth added.

\/\/ Fine, Wisconsin Lutheran Church potlucks have pea soup that is just mushy peas with broth added

BigHead has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Mar 27, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BigHead posted:

Americans have pea soup which is literally just mushy peas with a bit of broth added.

I make pea soup all the time and it's much more than that (carrots, onions, bacon, peas, cream, spices)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of British favo(u)rites, I crossed into Canada this past weekend in part to stop at the British shop, where I picked up a few unusual snacks:

Chocolate with cheesy onion potato crisp pieces in. Haven't tried this yet. My family recoiled at the thought, but I figured, poo poo, it's the last one in the box, so it can't be all that bad. Plus perennial thread favorite Parma Violets (the GIANT variety).

This was apparently a Christmas thing, but I don't give a poo poo. Pigs in blankets sounds like a fine flavor for potato chips.

Also apparently at least one brand of British dessert gelatin comes not as a powder, but as a dense block of concentrated gelatin that you reconstitute with boiling water before pouring into molds and chilling?? This is bizarre to my raised-with-Jell-O rear end, so I picked one up (black currant flavor, yesss).

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Mar 27, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tayto's are a NI thing I think? Don't get em round this way anyway.

Parma violets are vile.

I'm pretty sure Pig in Blanket flavour is just Smokey Bacon in a different bag but I could be wrong.

The jelly block jelly is the default jelly here and the stuff that comes in a powder is weird.