Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kith posted:

sure it's hosed up and weird, but if it's a bunch of freaks doing this poo poo to each other consensually, then... who gives a poo poo? what's the case being made here?

"making an indecent image of a child and distributing an indecent image of a child."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
CFTC is actually doing something and sued Binance.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1640373566322491393

Click through for more about all the crimes they were doing to get one of the most ineffective/apathetic regulatory agency to actually act.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If the CFTC does something you have hosed up SO BAD. They literally exist because the FTC didn't want to deal with regulating pork belly futures. Just incredible achievements in dipshit crime doing here

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CainFortea posted:

"making an indecent image of a child and distributing an indecent image of a child."

Yeah but that's just one rear end in a top hat. The rest are all either wrapped up in the conspiracy to commit GBH or actually did GBH on someone... who let them do so willingly i guess?

gently caress if I know but I'm not sure where consent falls into this or why they seem to be moving faster on the dudes mostly just filming their meat and two veg being torn off (save for that one rear end in a top hat) than they did Saville or the rape-factory tenaments they set up.

*edit*

Warren Ellis (the writer, not the musician), prior to both his stroke and his public outing as a huge flaming groomer rear end in a top hat, had an article up on his defunct site about someone in the nullo subculture. I think he was researching the Grinders for Doktor Sleepless?

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 27, 2023

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Two other big strikes for Israel.

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1640250460081737730?s=20

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1640256033972015104?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uh did they not hear that the legislation got delayed slightly? Why are they not happy

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CainFortea posted:

From my reading that was only one dude in the story, unless that involved all of the freaks in his little chop club. Then again, considering that the charge included "distributing", that might very well be the case!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In America news, we're becoming a more equal society:

https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640413269356625939?t=ThqSOefybfiCYsP4Xq7rwA&s=19

https://twitter.com/JohnBranchNYT/status/1640424121262821376?t=Kr_o04jqmt0SH7B1y4YLHw&s=19

She was originally called "teenage", but now she's 28 per the police presser. Looks like the cops decided "hey, maybe we shouldn't Uvalde this one".

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Edit: better sourced above.

Still gently caress this dumb Earth

Nystral fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2023

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Earlier, I saw that Bibi survived a no confidence vote last night/this morning.

If the entire nation is effectively striking, how does he survive such a vote? Is there going to be another one?

I didn't realize how "out of sync" the gov was with the population, or is this more of a 50/50 thing?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Smacks of sexism. A man would have been given different treatment.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nystral posted:

Biden already demanding an assault rifle ban.

let's hope it actually loving happens this time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

Earlier, I saw that Bibi survived a no confidence vote last night/this morning.

If the entire nation is effectively striking, how does he survive such a vote? Is there going to be another one?

I didn't realize how "out of sync" the gov was with the population, or is this more of a 50/50 thing?

His government is trying to keep the end run going, already beating their chest about the reform going forward at the end of the summer and pretending nothing will change.

Because they are fascists.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kith posted:

let's hope it actually loving happens this time

It won’t, regardless of whatever anyone thinks of an AWB.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Everything Donnie and the Republicans are doing is because they generally know they're on the losing side when the youngs turn old and start voting.

That's exactly the opposite situation for Israel - the youngs are hard-right:

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/2023/2/23/23609584/israel-right-wing-young-voters-palestine

But from what I gather, the judicial reform thing wasn't a significant topic of the election. So this whole thing came out of nowhere and opinion polls seem kinda 40/40/20 split on the pro/anti/don't know curve.

but, enjoy the only poll that matters: https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1640432618419134492?t=c53EjiiV1G6WFf3iD7BhzQ&s=19

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

LET'S

HOPE

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

This is where I've landed and part of what sends me into a cycle of doom and gloom. In an effort to pull out of that cycle I'm going to instead share a cute cat photo

Edit: This is not my cat, just a cute cat photo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was hoping Desantis would put up more of a fight. The humiliation is coming too fast and too strong to keep me going through the election cycle.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What are Bibi's reforms, why are they so bad, and why now? Netenyahu, facing corruption charges, managed to barely cobble together a governing coalition that would elect him prime minister. To do so he abandoned centrist parties and recruited support from the general extreme right wing, ultra Orthodox Jewish supremacist, and militant settler nexis. As prime minister Netenyahu is relatively safe from prosecution until he's out of power or the charges are dropped. The Israeli far right has always been angry at a supposed out of touch liberal deep state activist judges blocking the worst of their agenda in the name of human rights and due process. The proposed reforms give the governing coalition greater control over the judicial appointment process, strip the courts of power to overrule laws, essentially abolish many of the implied human rights recognized by the courts, and also remove much of the independence of the attorney general who is responsible for criminal investigation of sitting politicians. In short, these reforms remove the only meaningful check against the power of the most right wing parliament in Israeli history, would protect corrupt officials including Netenyahu, and would dramatically reduce the human rights protections of Palestinians, racial minorities, women, and non-orthodox Jews.

Disclaimer, I'm an American Jewish atheist who hates the occupation raised in a trad cath Christian Zionists (now QAnon) household. I'm also going to be using a lot of terms like ultraorthodox, settler, Zionist, and Jewish supremacist relatively interchangeably to describe a general nexus of absolutely vile and repugnant beliefs. I'm going to be glossing over a lot of nuance and important distinctions but this is going to be long enough as is.

The Israel Knesset, or parliament, is a single house and can pass almost anything by a simple majority. There isn't really an independent executive and true judicial review is a relatively recent phenomenon. Israel has no written constitution or bill of rights. The closest thing are the basic laws which are passed by the Knesset. These are passed by majority vote and and be amended by majority vote.

Israel appoints judges by ostensibly non-partisan means. Since the 50s judicial appointments have been made by a committee of Parliament members, sitting supreme court justices, and members of the legal community. Importantly Knesset members are a minority on the committee because the Knesset was explicitly seeking an apolitical process. By tradition one of the Knesset members on the committee comes from the opposition.

The Israeli supreme court was slowly asserting powers of judicial review. The 1992 basic laws gave the Supreme Court grounds to assert strong judicial review powers over the reasonableness of legislation and the grounds to elaborate an unwritten bill of rights based on the basic laws and international human rights law. This led to a series of landmark rulings expanding the courts ability to review IDF actions, overturning laws expropriating Palestinian land occupied by settlers, overturning segregationist laws affecting Israeli Arabs, overturning punitive laws aimed at African refugees, and overturning the de facto ultra-orthodox exemption from IDF conscription.

Naturally the Israeli right was infuriated at a cabal of unelected and unaccountable judges overturning democratically passed laws. They argued that the apolitical appointment system resulted in a self selecting cabal of liberal activist judges only allowing other liberal activists into the courts and that democratic accountability needed to be restored to the system. Thankfully I'm not the New York Times and I don't have to both-sides this. This is a load of bullshit from assholes upset that other people get to have human rights. I've also seen plausible arguments that that court has been moving rightward over the past decade just not as fast as the Israeli far right has been going whole hog extremist. (I know what I did there.)

It's worth pointing out that the Jewish community has been experiencing the same tensions and rapid polarization as everyone else. This is a vast oversimplification but it feels like right wing Jews are becoming more Orthodox, more anti-women and anti-LGBTQ, and more militantly Zionist. Meanwhile liberal Jews are becoming increasingly reform, more strongly supporting social and racial justice, speaking out more against the occupation, and more supportive of LGBTQ rights.

The ultraorthodox, settler, and Jewish supremacist groups have been writing off liberal American Jews and even liberal Israeli Jews as not real Jews. Instead they've been deepening their alliances with right wing American Jews, evangelicals, and Christian Zionists. In turn these Christian groups have pushed hard to support the Israeli rightwing and the settler movements.

This all came to a head in the recent elections. Israel was too polarized to form a governing coalition as the center hollowed out. Meanwhile Bibi was desperate to be prime minister to protect himself from looming corruption charges. After five rounds of indecisive elections, Bibi caved and invited a host of far right parties into his coalition to gain a slim majority. Despite Bibi's unpopularity the left and center parties couldn't get their poo poo together and form a majority coalition. The result is the most extreme right wing government in Israeli history.

With their majority, the far right is now empowered to push through their "reforms". In short they are changing the composition of the judicial appointment commission by giving the Knesset members a majority. The next couple of retirements from the court are liberals as well so they're poised to radically change its composition. They are stripping the Supreme court of much of its judicial review powers. They are also vastly weakening the powers and independence of the attorney general which would be responsible for prosecuting corruption charges against Bibi. They are also pushing through laws that would allow far right politicians ruled unfit to hold office to return to power.

If this goes through it will remove the only political institution standing between this far right government and an autocratic, theocratic fundamentalist regime. In one sense this is the same struggle against corrupt right wing authoritarians it seems every country is experiencing right now. Everyone knows this isn't going to stop with the Israeli supreme court. At its core Israel has always struggled with whether it wants to be cosmopolitan democracy with a vision of Judaism that supports human rights, including women's, queer, non Jewish, and Palestinian rights or a theocratic ethnostate governed by a strict ultraorthodox interpretation that considers the very idea of non Jews living in Eretz Israel a desecration of god's will.

That's why reservists are refusing to serve and tens of thousands are protesting in the streets. That's why the Israeli president is warning of civil war. It's not really just a question of how the judicial appointment committee should be appointed. It's the culmination of decades of division into an all out attack on the idea of liberal democracy in Israel, pitting two fundamentally incompatible ideas of what even constitutes Judaism and Jewishness against each other.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

^^^^really great post and explainer about what's going on in Israel, thanks for taking the time to write this up

Meanwhile, back to the US

https://twitter.com/purplechrain/status/1640429647245484060

Regardless of what the actual gender identity or age of the TN shooter turns out to be, may she rot in piss, expect the militant right to turn the "pregenocidal rhetoric" knob a few more notches against trans and gay people.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was hoping Desantis would put up more of a fight. The humiliation is coming too fast and too strong to keep me going through the election cycle.

in case you missed it this is a poll from noted highly scientific poll taker cat turd two

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

in case you missed it this is a poll from noted highly scientific poll taker cat turd two

As goes cat turd so goes the world

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tiny Timbs posted:

As goes cat turd so goes the world

If you don't follow any of the Elon threads it's worth noting that Elon's posts towards catturd2 on Twitter are the world's most pathetically divorced case of "notice me senpai"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The GBH charges include the removal of a man’s penis, the clamping of another’s testicles and the freezing of a leg, which required amputation.

He is further charged with acquiring or possessing criminal property, making an indecent image of a child and distributing an indecent image of a child.

quote:

All of the alleged victims are said to have been part of a society in which people willingly undergo extreme body modification.

Look, the body part removal thing is bad, but the abuse of a child is worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Soylent Pudding posted:

This all came to a head in the recent elections. Israel was too polarized to form a governing coalition as the center hollowed out. Meanwhile Bibi was desperate to be prime minister to protect himself from looming corruption charges. After five rounds of indecisive elections, Bibi caved and invited a host of far right parties into his coalition to gain a slim majority. Despite Bibi's unpopularity the left and center parties couldn't get their poo poo together and form a majority coalition. The result is the most extreme right wing government in Israeli history.

Yo this is crazy as all gently caress. I know dictators gonna dictate but jfc torching a whole country to (maybe) save yourself from your own actions??

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yo this is crazy as all gently caress. I know dictators gonna dictate but jfc torching a whole country to (maybe) save yourself from your own actions??

Not a student of recent history, I see.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Syrian military/paramilitaries were infamous for leaving behind “Assad or we burn the country” graffiti after they “liberated” areas held by the insurgents in 2011-2013.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is the most understandable possible motivation for an authoritarian

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I know all that and I'm still in disbelief of it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

אני המדינה

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's going to be some really, really, really lovely Takes on the internet and a whole lot of bullshit bills about mental health coming up from this one. Weirdly, the one case where conservatives won't just settle for thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1640471049576886273?t=ey90zNIkhdEcKrI92_mVVw&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

There's going to be some really, really, really lovely Takes on the internet and a whole lot of bullshit bills about mental health coming up from this one. Weirdly, the one case where conservatives won't just settle for thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1640471049576886273?t=ey90zNIkhdEcKrI92_mVVw&s=19

hooooooooo boy here go the floodgates

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

just in time for the trans day of visibility.

god damnit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Late but here's the deal with Ben Gvir and the Israeli National Guard: Ben Gvir is as hard right a modern conservative Jewish zionist as it gets. He's the sort that believes they should use the IDF to bulldoze the entire West Bank and settle it immediately. Ben Gvir is leveraging Bibi's desperate position to take legitimate control of a state militia, since his citizen militia he ran was disbanded. If Ben Gvir succeeds, he will most likely use his new control of the National Guard to attempt to end the protests through use of force.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kith posted:

god damnit.

gently caress

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
99% of mass shooters are angry white dudes but now we've got a real problem!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Something like this has never, ever had profound, far-reaching consequences before

https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/1640440959405273089?s=46

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Something like this has never, ever had profound, far-reaching consequences before

https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/1640440959405273089?s=46

:stare:

you'd think israel of all loving places would know better than to repeat a certain kind of history, but....

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The abyss gazes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kesper North posted:

Late but here's the deal with Ben Gvir and the Israeli National Guard: Ben Gvir is as hard right a modern conservative Jewish zionist as it gets. He's the sort that believes they should use the IDF to bulldoze the entire West Bank and settle it immediately. Ben Gvir is leveraging Bibi's desperate position to take legitimate control of a state militia, since his citizen militia he ran was disbanded. If Ben Gvir succeeds, he will most likely use his new control of the National Guard to attempt to end the protests through use of force.

This is a massive understatement.

Ben-Gvir a piece of poo poo who openly kept in his living room a portrait of Baruch Goldstein, the terrorist who murdered 29 Palestinians in the Cave of Patriarchs massacre. Ben-Gvir was also convicted under Israeli anti-terorism laws for supporting the Kahanist (think Jewish ISIS) terrorist group Kach. The Israeli Knesset passed an anti-racism election law to outlaw the party. Kach was also a state department designated terrorist organization until it was removed during the Trump administration. It's still a specially designated entity though.

His current party is a Kahanist party and straight up theocratic fascist. He supports expelling "disloyal" Arabs from Israel, but has apologized for his stance during his Kach years when he called for deporting all Arabs. But he specifically called for deporting the leader of the Israeli Arabs party. He also called for the anti-zionist Neturei Karta* ultra-orthodox community to be deported "on a train." I'll let you guess why suggesting removing Jews by train is particularly vile.

Even AIPAC wants nothing to do with these fuckers. Or at least they didn't as of a year or so ago and I'm scared to look to see if that changed.

They also support full repeal of the Oslo Accords, total annexation of the West Bank, and essentially immunity from prosecution and unlimited rules of engagement for the IDF. They want Orthodox indoctrination in Israeli schools. The general ideology is that only Orthodox Jews should have citizen rights in Israel, that Israel should be a theocratic society adhering to strict Orthodox interpretation, and want to ban miscegenation in the form of Jewish interfaith relationships.

Ben-Gvir is also a provocateur and absolute poo poo-stirer. You may remember the protests and violence a few months ago at the temple mount? That was started by Ben-Gvir staging an official visit.

Also surprising no one he received a religious exemption from IDF service.

*Neturei Karta and an ultra-orthodox sect that is militantly anti-zionist. They believe that Israel can only be founded by the messiah. They further believe the messiah cannot return to found Israel if Israel already exists. So they call for the dismantling of Israel so that the Messiah can appear and found Israel.