Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey.

Two episodes on Thursdays for the next two weeks! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Start with series 4 or 5 tbh, or whichever series has your favorite british comedian on it

e: 13 is being posted on youtube right now, and that's a great one too

Leraika fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
In Greg Davies chat a new series of The Cleaner is on iPlayer and I really like it.

Edit: Also I just discovered he used to go out with Liz Kendall MP...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At one point, they were still slowly uploading the back season full episodes to YouTube but looks like they have all of them up now. So i guess start at season 1?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can apply for tickets for S16 recording

https://www.sroaudiences.com/

If anyone here gets some, I expect line-up embargo breakage.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
If it wasn't so far away I would definitely go, but its not worth 7 hours of driving for a show that's presumably only a few hours long.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

You're not even guaranteed entry, as they overbook and it's first-come-first-served. However if you queue but don't get in, you get to come back with priority tickets.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

You can apply for tickets for S16 recording

https://www.sroaudiences.com/

If anyone here gets some, I expect line-up embargo breakage.

cheers, gonna have a go. been to a couple recordings before but none since the move to C4, too much competition now I expect

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have been telling myself I would fly to London to go to a showing next time one was available... but almost all of the shows are while I'm going to be across country already. I could only make the final two days, and I would have just gotten back from a previous trip with a lot of manual labor involved the day before I'd have to fly out again. It's still tempting but I'm worried I'll be super jetlagged and not even able to enjoy myself.

What terrible timing for me. Could goons do me a favor and if you see any other future openings appearing let me know? I really wanna attend a screening at some point in my life, and I signed up for the SRO mailing list but wasn't notified by email for whatever reason. I only found out through this thread.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was mentioned on r/taskmaster earlier which is why I knew. I'll post again in the future if it comes up. I suspect TM is massively oversubscribed for ticket requests.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Superrodan posted:

I have been telling myself I would fly to London to go to a showing next time one was available... but almost all of the shows are while I'm going to be across country already. I could only make the final two days, and I would have just gotten back from a previous trip with a lot of manual labor involved the day before I'd have to fly out again. It's still tempting but I'm worried I'll be super jetlagged and not even able to enjoy myself.

What terrible timing for me. Could goons do me a favor and if you see any other future openings appearing let me know? I really wanna attend a screening at some point in my life, and I signed up for the SRO mailing list but wasn't notified by email for whatever reason. I only found out through this thread.

Pretty much same here. We’ve been saying we’ll use Taskmaster as our excuse to take a trip, but I can’t do any of those dates. And yeah, I’m on the mailing list, too, but didn’t get any notification this time around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I live in London, and I’m unavailable for nearly all those filming dates. Also, I never got an email about tickets either. :/

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

so far every one of these AU contestants have been a different flavor of absolute wrecks, it rules

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pablo Bluth posted:

It was mentioned on r/taskmaster earlier which is why I knew. I'll post again in the future if it comes up. I suspect TM is massively oversubscribed for ticket requests.

Probably yes - if you really want to go I assume you'll have a much better chance at the 1pm sessions compared to the 6pm ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve hit the Covid era in my watchthrough, with the 1st ep of Season 10, and this is surprisingly hilarious?! There’s something very ramshackle about it all, and it feels like when you have to go into the office on a Saturday or something.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve hit the Covid era in my watchthrough, with the 1st ep of Season 10, and this is surprisingly hilarious?! There’s something very ramshackle about it all, and it feels like when you have to go into the office on a Saturday or something.

I honestly really enjoyed 10, all the contestants are just a little hysterical and on edge the whole time

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I know a lot of people were clamoring for the return of audiences, but I honestly had no problem with the socially distanced series, there's a real slap-happy energy to them. All 3 of them navigated it in interesting ways, and the final task of series 12 is maybe the best of all time and absolutely would not work with an audience.

The only problem with 10 is that the tasks are a little too mean and the cast is a little too incompetent, I think if you traded its tasks with another series it would be more fondly remembered.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ten is my least favourite series by far. The lack of a real audience hurts the atmosphere in the studio. Plus I maintain that it was the nadir of task setting;too many just don't work or aren't setup for variety of outcome. Yet it delivered one of my all-time TM moments Watermelon II, with Herring feeding DMC had me laughing so hard for so long I couldn't breathe. And Quiet cocktail was a classic setup.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like all the contestants on it, and I'm having a good time. More importantly they're all having a great time. I don't think I've seen any group so far cracking up and crying with laughter as much.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I honestly really enjoyed 10, all the contestants are just a little hysterical and on edge the whole time

Yeah, there's definitely something in this. Looking it up, the tasks were 95% filmed pre-lockdown, and then studio filming took place in July 2020. So I imagine like everyone at that point, they were losing their minds, and laughing together like that was just a huge release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERLvefF8jlA

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I also like series 10 more than most people it seems. I felt like the weird anxious energy from the lack of an audience actually really works for the show.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I really need to rewatch S10, it was the first series I watched as it was broadcast. I did wonder whether maybe they lost a couple of days filming with one or two contestants and had fewer tasks with five attempts to choose from - a couple of the tasks do seem like they'd have hit the cutting room floor in other series. The intro has a shot of Richard Herring joining spaghetti lengths together from a task that didn't air. They even aired the "warm-up" task (which has since been adapted in other countries, so I guess a task's a task).

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Series 10 was pretty good, it's just some of the seasons after were even better IMO.

Thanks for the heads up about filming for S16, I've applied for tickets, it'll be fun to see who they get on. I'm sort of hoping at the moment they convince Henry Paker, especially after Mike Wozniak did so well, and they're on a couple of podcasts together. I've been marathoning Three Bean Salad lately and his mind is just like nothing else, the places he goes... I'd love to see what he'd make of Taskmaster.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Henry Paker would be great, he's absolutely destroyed me a few times on that podcast and yeah Wozniak was fantastic as well.

I'd love to see Josie Long, she did the stage show version in Edinburgh back when it first started apparently (as did loads of people who have since been on the TV version) and she seems pretty cool. I don't really keep up with comedy as much as I used to so I don't really know many young comedians, Taskmaster is pretty often the thing that introduces me to new folks when they appear.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Someday I hope they'll get Sue Perkins but it probably will not happen.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Leraika posted:

Someday I hope they'll get Sue Perkins but it probably will not happen.

Does TM only pull comedians as contestants? I know the first series had Doc Brown, but anyone else? I wonder how it would do with someone like Susie Dent or Martin Clunes doing the tasks vs Rob Beckett or Katherine Ryan.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nystral posted:

Does TM only pull comedians as contestants? I know the first series had Doc Brown, but anyone else? I wonder how it would do with someone like Susie Dent or Martin Clunes doing the tasks vs Rob Beckett or Katherine Ryan.

quite a few actors who don't perform or write their own comedy have been in it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Nystral posted:

doc brown was series 2. there was also richard osman from the same one

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Alice Lavine is definitely more a presenter than (stand-up) comedian. I haven't checked but guessing all the actors have been the sitcom end of the acting scale.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Katherine Parkinson from S10 is much more an actor than a comedian, even though IT Crowd was probably her big break.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Victoria Coren Mitchell, Alice Levine, Charlotte Richie, and Katherine Parkinson are all of the presenter/actor persuasion vs. comedian. They were all fantastic on the show, if for different reasons. Victoria losing her mind throughout was a highlight for me.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
And the new years treats usually have people more out of the norm

and then you get sad because so many of them would have been fantastic on a full series...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

A full series with Rylan Clark would be amazing.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
What’s your name?

Greg?

No it’s not!

Yes it is?

:sparkles:I chaaanged iiiit!:sparkles:

Series 2 is on at the moment. Katherine Ryan gifting Greg the lordship was a great moment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd still like to see Rachel Riley. And Diane Morgan.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Creature posted:

:sparkles:I chaaanged iiiit!:sparkles:
This is without a doubt my favorite moment in all of Taskmaster. There's so many fantastic moments, but the way Katherine Ryan says I chaanged iiiit is loving sublime

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wungus posted:

This is without a doubt my favorite moment in all of Taskmaster. There's so many fantastic moments, but the way Katherine Ryan says I chaanged iiiit is loving sublime

It's definitely up there in the Top Ten, especially since Greg has worked with Katherine before on various panel shows, and knows perfectly well that she has no fear, no boundaries, no morals, and therefore whatever is about to happen might be absolutely horrifying. The look of subtle terror behind his smile as she sing-songs merrily at him is fabulous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite prize tasks are when they know Greg and involve him. Rhod Gilbert, Mark Watson, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite prize tasks are when they know Greg and involve him. Rhod Gilbert, Mark Watson, etc.

Even outside the prize tasks, i.e. Guy Montgomery's shirts

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Any time a contestant has some sort of personal link with the taskmaster or assistant is great.

I think my favourite is the phone someone from your past task in NZ s1, and you have Guy struggling to think of someone while sitting right accross from his brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Boxturret posted:

Any time a contestant has some sort of personal link with the taskmaster or assistant is great.

I think my favourite is the phone someone from your past task in NZ s1, and you have Guy struggling to think of someone while sitting right accross from his brother.

This is the lifeline of Suurmestari. S3 didn't have anyone too close to Saarenluoma as regulars, and it showed immediately.