Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm feeling the same sense of wonder I had with the original RE4. The remake really is hitting the right notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im playing it twice at the same time rn cause i forgot you need to pay for cloud saves and gently caress that, its good enough to play twice on different machines idgaf

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its my own fault for trusting greedy jim ryan tho.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Asteroid Alert posted:

I'm feeling the same sense of wonder I had with the original RE4. The remake really is hitting the right notes.

It's been a blast so far. I swing wildly between "This is amazing!" And "This is bullshit!" depending on how well I'm doing. The cabin fight was way loving harder than I expected.

Shockingly I've been really enjoying the new WWE game story mode. The controls still feel a little weird but I'm getting more used to them and have been consistently beating everyone.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got through the cabin with four handgun bullets left, I was spent. It’s the best of the modern remakes, keeping enough of the old stuff but also adding its own spin on things. it plays with my expectations masterfully

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The rumors are heating up again.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1640370144336592897?s=20

If it's true, I wonder if there will be a game pass option with Ubisoft+ in it, at a cheaper price than getting both separately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC being included is one of the big advantages of UBISoft+ that makes it kinda worth subbing if you like their games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John F Bennett posted:

If it's true, I wonder if there will be a game pass option with Ubisoft+ in it, at a cheaper price than getting both separately.

Major fail for Game Pass.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

DLC for Ubisoft games is almost always completely forgettable and easily skipped. I would not call it a value-add unless you’re craving more sandbox checklists.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ErrEff posted:

DLC for Ubisoft games is almost always completely forgettable and easily skipped. I would not call it a value-add unless you’re craving more sandbox checklists.

I am

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

ErrEff posted:

I feel like the memento guy sometimes with Ubisoft games. Like a need a photograph that says “you will not enjoy this” whenever I get the urge to spend money on their games.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

ErrEff posted:

you mean besides the hurk missions in far cry

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Ubisoft games are almost always completely forgettable and easily skipped.

fixed

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I feel like the memento guy sometimes with Ubisoft games. Like a need a photograph that says “you will not enjoy this” whenever I get the urge to spend money on their games.

Tattoo it on your forehead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find just trying out one in every 3-4 of their games is a good ratio, like I'm trying AC: Odyssey after a long while of not playing any other UBisoft games and I'm having fun. Also, it is free on Game Pass.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I bounced right off of Origins. Moved on to High on Life, it’s kinda fun I gotta admit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anno 1800 is fantastic and not at all a typical Ubisoft game. Even the non-cosmetic DLC for it is great and game changing

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Broadlybrowsing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWJ-JgVS7Q

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Oh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

webmeister posted:

Anno 1800 is fantastic and not at all a typical Ubisoft game. Even the non-cosmetic DLC for it is great and game changing

I am excited for the limitless sandbox creation mode next week.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Still having fun in Valheim. My treehouse looks sick I got like five stories on that bad boy. I wish the home below wasn't garbage but it was a first attempt. Just built a forge - let's, drat, go.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1640500194260181000?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sowing, reaping etc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We're taking these console wars to a new level, beyond kids at the schoolyard and manchildren on the internet!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Another one says go, almost time to finally wrap this up!

https://twitter.com/klobrille/status/1640636856688693251?s=20

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I hope there'll be some spiciness I don't think Microsoft's lack of success in Japan is a product of any weird shenanigans on Sony's part, there's just highly specific brand perceptions in Japan.

The PS3 launch did so poorly in Japan that a Japanese journalist published a book in Japan called "Why did the PS3 fail?" It still outsold the 360 to a bonkers degree (and the 360 also launched almost a year before the PS3 did in Japan). The 360 became a very unusual system in Japan, it had a bunch of Japanese exclusives, until recently it was the only system to have a console port of Tetris The Grand Master, and had a bunch of Cave shmups exclusively as well. I lived in Japan from 2005-2008 and the 360 was always set up in a weird section of the big electronics stores, usually showing one of those Princess Maker dancing games on a kiosk demo. Also, even though a fair number of Japanese games had their 360 versions perform better than their PS3 versions in terms of resolution/framerate (e.g. Bayonetta was 60fps on 360 and 30fps on PS3), the PS3 version still outsold the 360 version considerably. Further exacerbating some of this weirdness, Japan's ESRB-equivalent is notoriously strict, and a lot of games wind up with a rating equivalent to ESRB's AO and legally has to be age-gated in a bunch of ways (including having these games in their own special fenced off section or behind the counter). It was fairly common for games to be published in Japan with both an M-equivalent censored version and an AO-equivalent version that was uncensored (or less censored, because some stuff was still too chunky for the upper rating, including Japanese-made games like Resident Evil where most of them are only available truly unedited outside of Japan). Where this got weird is that during the PS3/360 era, a few games took the weird approach of making the PS3 version the M-rated censored version and the 360 version the AO-rated version. I think all of this culminated to a point where there was a perception that the 360 was for Japan's worst shut-in losers, and Konami rather famously stated they decided not to officially release a 360 version of Metal Gear Revengeance in Japan because it would make their business look weak, but they compromised by making the Western versions have Japanese subtitle options and also region-free so Japan's 360 fans could import it (and I think some specialty stores in Akihabara and elsewhere did stock the US version for this reason).

Microsoft has made some in-roads in Japan at least with Japanese developers; a lot of games that in the past would have been PlayStation exclusives, not because of any deal with Sony but because they just didn't have the resources to develop a port that would sell gently caress-all for them, are now getting at least Xbox Series versions, and sometimes also Xbox One versions, and can show up day one on Game Pass. They were doing...not well, but at least better than the previous gen, especially since Sony had de-prioritized making PS5s available in Japan to deal with shortages in other countries first, giving Xbox its best chance but it's still getting crushed by PlayStation again, and again it's largely just a case of brand inertia.

Anyway if this gen has shown anything is that portability and Nintendo continues to trump all, because the simple reality is that console gaming doesn't really work with Japanese society being the way it is (where from a very young age people have very very little time to themselves, and most of their "free time" won't be at home). PS5 is doing better than Xbox is but it's still doing embarrassing, rounding error-tier numbers compared to Switch. PlayStation games are lucky if they sell more than 50k copies in Japan, meanwhile physical copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe almost sell that many copies in a month in 2023 despite the game being out since 2017.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

From a purely business perspective, I still don't see how buying Activision/Blizzard isn't a total self own. But as a gamer, i'm excited about it for these games being on Game Pass.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They were massively devalued based on the recent troubles both within the studios and in the management hierarchy. Think of it like buying something that you really don’t need at the grocery store but it’s on sale.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

They're getting some of the most valuable franchises in gaming for 69 billion. Candy Crush is a money faucet.

The Activision/Vivendi merger from 15 years ago was for 19 billion, because Kotick really wanted to get his hands on the WoW money-printing machine and plant his feet into China's market.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

univbee posted:

While I hope there'll be some spiciness I don't think Microsoft's lack of success in Japan is a product of any weird shenanigans on Sony's part, there's just highly specific brand perceptions in Japan.

It's not, the senators involved are ones that have received heavy amounts from Microsoft and Microsoft employees.

The senators drafted and passed a law last year that basically declassified the Switch as a video game system and since then have been banging a drum about Sony's unfair dominance of the market*

*As long as you ignore the actual market leader.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's because the xbox is so win that it selling poorly can only be explained by nefariousness op.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MLB the Show 23 is available today on Game Pass by the way.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Do the Japanese have PS5 has no games memes?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

I said come in! posted:

MLB the Show 23 is available today on Game Pass by the way.

80 goddamned gigabytes to play two weeks of baseball, gently caress

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1640559609751453699

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

From a purely business perspective, I still don't see how buying Activision/Blizzard isn't a total self own. But as a gamer, i'm excited about it for these games being on Game Pass.

Maybe, but then again there are definitely still goons who loudly think the Minecraft deal was unprofitable so ymmv

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Omnikin posted:

80 goddamned gigabytes to play two weeks of baseball, gently caress

Compare that to Atomic Heart where you download 70 gigs then download a 70 gig patch and the another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fartington Butts posted:

Compare that to Atomic Heart where you download 70 gigs then download a 70 gig patch and the another.

The horny fridge has many gigabytes of love for u