Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ThinkTank posted:

Rex can you show me how the Canucks are exactly as bad as they were before the coaching change, except they have been lucky and have goaltending now? I know it's true but I don't have the stats knowledge to prove it.

I would like to know how having an overpayed underperforming defenseman be out of your line up changes your odds of winning a game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Vancouver and Ottawa are one win apart and their fanbases are complete polar opposites in their opinion of their clubs, it's great.

That's the difference between having a young team with $15m of cap space to add next year and all it's stars signed long term and having a young team that is already over the cap for next season due to a ton of bad contracts on the books that also has to find a way to sign their franchise forward because they bridged him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

The President's Trophy winner only wins the cup like 20% of the time, yeah. It's hard.

Since they started awarding it, the President's Trophy winner makes it to the Cup Final about 1/3 of the time (11 out of 35 times), and they're 8-3 in those series. It's still a lower chance than the field but making the final that often is pretty good odds, for hockey, and if a team makes it that far they're very likely to win it. This is a longer way to say "the President's Trophy winning team is usually good"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

That's the difference between having a young team with $15m of cap space to add next year and all it's stars signed long term and having a young team that is already over the cap for next season due to a ton of bad contracts on the books that also has to find a way to sign their franchise forward because they bridged him.

Nah, it’s just the dead owner

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nah, it’s just the dead owner

I am absolutely fine with Aquilini mysteriously "dying" just as all of his creditors are closing in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1640371716483416071?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

They gotta stop with this poo poo. At least he isn’t being a dick about it, I guess…?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Since they started awarding it, the President's Trophy winner makes it to the Cup Final about 1/3 of the time (11 out of 35 times), and they're 8-3 in those series. It's still a lower chance than the field but making the final that often is pretty good odds, for hockey, and if a team makes it that far they're very likely to win it. This is a longer way to say "the President's Trophy winning team is usually good"

The inverse to that is that the President's trophy winner has lost in the first round 7 times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s less than the number of times they’ve won the cup.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1640371716483416071?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

They gotta stop with this poo poo. At least he isn’t being a dick about it, I guess…?
This feels genuine? The bigots like Reimer, Staal x3, Provorov have no shame and can't seem to shut up about saying why they won't participate. It's a point of pride for them. :rimshot:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yeah except it was pointed out there is zero physical danger and it's like a max 5k fine (the maximum allowable under the CBA) so yeah no you don't have to hand it to the bigot.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s a convenient excuse to avoid scrutiny not a legitimate concern, yeah. The only good thing to come out of it is that hopefully Twitter isn’t plastered with yet another hypocritical “You know I respect all people… BUT” notes app statement tonight.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1640355082658099202?t=C-NFDe-8SZhjiCc835TC8g&s=19

Dan is the former CEO of Independence Blue Cross, and was supposedly selected by Dave Scott as his successor. Don't know what to make of it yet.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
When an NHL player puts out a statement starting with “I love and respect everybody,” you know you’re about to hear the most homophobic take imaginable

It’s the new I’m Not Racist But,

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Apparently the player is too afraid of the government to wear the Pride jersey but not afraid that the government will take action against him or his family for publicly stating that he's afraid of them to the western media? Like if you were actually afraid that the Russian government might hurt your family wouldn't you just say "uhhh can't wear the jersey, religious beliefs" like all the rest?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spoiler alert: it's because they're a homophobe but are aware it's an indefensible position so they try to code their statements to avoid backlash.

(it didn't work)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You'd think they would be more afraid of retaliation from showing support for the US and Canadian militaries but lol/lmao.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

Don't forget their other franchise forward/captain they had to trade because they couldn't afford to keep.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Don't forget their other franchise forward/captain they had to trade because they couldn't afford to keep.

Bo Horvat is not a franchise forward but yes.

I still disagree with the thinking behind the deal but Hronek has been genuinely impressive in his first three games. The guy can skate.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Rex can you show me how the Canucks are exactly as bad as they were before the coaching change, except they have been lucky and have goaltending now? I know it's true but I don't have the stats knowledge to prove it.

Under Tocchet at 5v5 they've increased their xGF% by 5% mostly on the back of giving up less opportunities per game. Offense hasn't changed much and their 5x5 save % hasn't really either. In all situations their save % is up from 87.7 to 89 but again their xGF% has climbed about 4.3%.GF% is up 8%.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Starsfan posted:

Apparently the player is too afraid of the government to wear the Pride jersey but not afraid that the government will take action against him or his family for publicly stating that he's afraid of them to the western media? Like if you were actually afraid that the Russian government might hurt your family wouldn't you just say "uhhh can't wear the jersey, religious beliefs" like all the rest?

The government of Russia very much wants its people to fear it.

I'm pretty sure that's not what's really going on with all this pride stuff, though maybe it's a tiny part of it. I suspect most Russians opting out are either bigoted for religious reasons or simply afraid they'll be embarrassed by pictures of them in pride gear circulating back home.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what's really going on with all this pride stuff, though maybe it's a tiny part of it. I suspect most Russians opting out are either bigoted for religious reasons or simply afraid they'll be embarrassed by pictures of them in pride gear circulating back home.

It has poo poo gently caress all to do with Russia and everything to do with the NYT being the owners of the Athletic. Pretending homophobia in hockey is Russian is stupid and a way to dance around the reality hockey is still a Good Ole Boy sport

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

It's North American propaganda to create an excuse for their own at home bigotry. That they get to blame Russia while being lovely is a super win/win.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't know guys have you ever considered that Marc and Eric Staal fear getting anthrax packages from Putin for supporting gay people?

Or that some ICBMs from Vladivostok might head to San Jose if James Reimer wore a rainbow jersey?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If Boosh really is a homophobe, he’s hiding it well because the rest of the team has his back and Okposo made a decent statement today.

https://twitter.com/rachelhopmayer/status/1640376440750317568?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1640377764325859329?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

:shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m smarter than him, so it’s fine actually.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Okposo isn't saying poo poo there. It's just a mealy mouthed non answer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Matt Zerella posted:

Okposo isn't saying poo poo there. It's just a mealy mouthed non answer.

From that article:
"I think, I don’t know if we have any Russians in this room, but as myself, as an American and as a North American, I don’t think I’m able to understand the psychological decisions that he’s going through and some of the psychological burdens that he goes through being from a different part of the world," said Sabres captain Kyle Okposo. "I don’t think it’s fair to judge him in an apples-to-apples sense. We support Boosh in this room, and we want to make sure that he’s comfortable and we respect his decisions.

"I think that passing judgement on him without trying to understand the full scope of his decision would be unwise. We support him."

Seems pretty clear? Anyway, even if fearing the Russian government is overblown they’re probably handling this the least bad way. And every other player is participating so it isn’t really worth being mad about.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

From that article:
"I think, I don’t know if we have any Russians in this room, but as myself, as an American and as a North American, I don’t think I’m able to understand the psychological decisions that he’s going through and some of the psychological burdens that he goes through being from a different part of the world," said Sabres captain Kyle Okposo. "I don’t think it’s fair to judge him in an apples-to-apples sense. We support Boosh in this room, and we want to make sure that he’s comfortable and we respect his decisions.

"I think that passing judgement on him without trying to understand the full scope of his decision would be unwise. We support him."

Seems pretty clear? Anyway, even if fearing the Russian government is overblown they’re probably handling this the least bad way. And every other player is participating so it isn’t really worth being mad about.

Making the event about the bigoted player not participating instead of just leaving him to eat poo poo sandwiches in the locker room alone isnt exactly what I call handling it well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1640445811266822162

Rod Brind'Amour is evil.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

I think that card explains nicely why they’re boring as poo poo to watch, fun teams are good in transition. The Hurricanes cycle and grind you to death with shots from anywhere while doing it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Dirty Burger posted:

I think that card explains nicely why they’re boring as poo poo to watch, fun teams are good in transition. The Hurricanes cycle and grind you to death with shots from anywhere while doing it

I realized this last week for the 2 games the Rangers played against them. They’re a very good team but they suck all the fun out of a game and are a chore to watch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Being #1 in shots attempted and also #1 in fewest shot attempts allowed is certainly a thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dump and chance boys, shot from everywhere and treat it like we dumped it in.

Sounds like should just remove the neutral zone entirely from the ice in Carolina.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I look forward to Carolina faltering yet again because they're entirely too system based and incapable of organic hockey cohesion. Also their goaltending faltering again because they're underwater on high dangers and underperforming both the conversion and sv% side.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Furnaceface posted:

Making the event about the bigoted player not participating instead of just leaving him to eat poo poo sandwiches in the locker room alone isnt exactly what I call handling it well.

You might wanna see a doctor about your rampant hallucinations

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I realized this last week for the 2 games the Rangers played against them. They’re a very good team but they suck all the fun out of a game and are a chore to watch.

Yup I have no interest in playing them in the 1st round. They just grind you to dust and stifle all offense.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You might wanna see a doctor about your rampant hallucinations

you don't have to defend bullshit just because they play on your favorite team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I heard they're going to make the players kiss

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

can i kiss the players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Only the ones who wear the jerseys. That's what lets you know they're "fair game"