Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

What threshold do you think needs to be met for Dana to strip Leon?

Is Leon in the end of his contract? He should be fine if he can get ahold of the Diazes’ lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I've gone from holding out hope that the UFC will start doing things right to hoping that they keep making all of the worst loving decisions and that they gently caress up their business.

I think many of us are hate watching at this point

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CommonShore posted:

I've gone from holding out hope that the UFC will start doing things right to hoping that they keep making all of the worst loving decisions and that they gently caress up their business.

Same, except all of humanity's wretched endeavors and not just the UFC

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Carlisle posted:

I think many of us are hate watching at this point
Pirate streams only.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

maybe jake paul will save us

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tweak posted:

April thread title right there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tweak posted:

gently caress you I'd rather drown

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

was there a third option in sophie’s choice where everyone dies i never saw it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This act of drowning brought to you by PRIME HYDRATION

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Pirate streams only.

I will never give dana white my money. its not like if ppvs got more buys they'd up the minimum pay from 12k/12k.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CommonShore posted:

gently caress you I'd rather drown
April thread title right there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tweak posted:

Lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I thought well maybe Jake could get under Dana’s skin and give him a stroke.
But then I remembered that Mark Hunt managed to scare Dana straight in a meeting, but he didn’t budge for Francis. So the man is evolving his rear end in a top hat game.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think it is perfectly reasonable to be more scared of an angry Mark Hunt than an angry Francis. I feel like Mark Hunt is much less likely to be reasonable when angry.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

But then I remembered that Mark Hunt managed to scare Dana straight in a meeting

what's the story here? i remember sakakibara trying to play like he was a gangster and mark hunt navigated the situation by threatening to throw him out the window.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
UFC is too big to fail and we all know it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

what's the story here? i remember sakakibara trying to play like he was a gangster and mark hunt navigated the situation by threatening to throw him out the window.

gently caress, I think I got him and Dana mixed up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I have a strong dislike of dana white. Why would you even say poo poo like this? He does that stupid grin like an idiot so he looks more legit while saying stuff he knows is a lie thing too

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

How do people think Edwards Covington would go? He doesnt deserve it but if its an easy defence for Edwards then it may help him cement a rep as champion?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I will never give dana white my money. its not like if ppvs got more buys they'd up the minimum pay from 12k/12k.

Far as any reporting I've seen with the ESPN+ deal UFC gets paid the same amount for a PPV regardless how many buys it does. It's just garuentee money they knew they would get every PPV moving forward.

I think it came out a few weeks ago that when the ESPN+ deal comes up they intend to shop it around because they believe they are leaving extra money on the table they should be getting when the PPV does sell well

It's sort of why the 'the fighter is a draw' isn't that important anymore. They are still getting the same money for 100K buys vs 500K buys, far as the reporting goes that I've seen or heard of.

(What any of those numbers are only they know).

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

GTO posted:

How do people think Edwards Covington would go? He doesnt deserve it but if its an easy defence for Edwards then it may help him cement a rep as champion?

The thing is, there are no easy fights against Colby Covington. Leon should chew Colby up in a striking battle, but unlike Usman Colby isn't aging and doesn't have bad knees. Usman's a stronger wrestler, but Colby's faster and just as likely to force a grinding clinchfest.

I'd still favor Leon, especially the Leon we saw in the last Usman fight, but it's unlikely to be a big, fun highlight performance. It's more likely it'd look a lot like this last fight did.

Unrelatedly: Hey, guess what, everyone, Sergio Pettis is back! Remember when it was a huge shock that he won Bellator's bantamweight championship at all? Remember when he knocked Kyoji Horiguchi the gently caress out and it was a huge deal and then he was injured for a year and a half? Well, the Bantamweight Grand Prix that's been going on basically ever since is finally ending in April, and by then Bellator will have had an interim Bantamweight champion for a full year, so it's awesome that they're finally going to schedule the reunification of those t--

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1640379584020398083

I love Pitbull but god dammit I hate the terminal double champ disease Conor infected the entire loving mixed martial arts world with

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If you ignore the part where it’s shooting that colby gets endless title shots while the rest of the division gets held up, it’s him versus Leon is a very interesting matchup. I’d ultimately give Leon the edge, but I’m also interested in seeing how much of his victories over Usman were because of Usman declining versus Leon just being good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I hope Colby doesn't get the title shot, but if he does, I hope Leon knocks him out in the first round and he goes away for a long time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brut posted:

I hope Colby doesn't get the title shot, but if he does, I hope Leon knocks him out in the first round and he goes away for a long time.

Dana while turning red: "Colby was ASSAULTED"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Brut posted:

:hmmyes:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Umar Nurmagomedov says he's been offered a main event against Merab for this summer. If true, this would mean the second time in less than a year that a promotionally favored guy outside of the top ten at bantamweight goes from a victory over an unranked opponent to fighting for the #1 spot in the rankings.

I'm wondering how much longer they're even going to bother with rankings.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They're going to keep up rankings because it's an excuse to make you think "heavyweight #6 vs. heavyweight #8" is a reason to tune into a UFC Apex show that costs them nothing to create. I doubt they've ever influenced matchmaking.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
They're going to keep the rankings if only because Dana enjoys lying to press and every time they ask him at pressers "So where do you think this fighter's gonna be ranked after this amazing performance" he replies "Well that's up to you guys" knowing full well it's total bullshit.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Colby's been out for so long and in a newish camp situation so what he looks like could be substantially different, but if he picks up where he left off I think he's pretty likely to win rounds while Edwards is pretty likely to KO him.

Colby's pace and pressure are similar to what Usman was doing when he was clearly troubling Leon, and I don't think Leon will push forwards enough to force Colby to go backwards like Usman did. Colby is also way more willing to take a clean hit to apply his pressure than Usman.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Remember when UFC rankings first rolles out and all the media people has their ballots published and the one French guy they had kept insisting Francis Carmont was like the third greatest pound for pound fighter of all time? And all the Brazilians put Aldo higher in the p4p and Conor lower after their fight? Rankings rule

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
As bullshit as it is, the more I think about Colby vs Leon the more I like the fight itself..Colby's style of pressure and grind doesn't suffer too much from not being super active lately. His style isn't reflex based or timing based or rhythm based

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Colby is 35 btw. He's barely younger than Usman. Fighters 35 and up have like a 10% win rate in title fights at 170 and lighter

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The only ethical MMA to pay for is fight circus. UFC would be a lot better if Dana White had to fight volkanovski and aljo at the same time.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I dunno, I kinda feel like Jon Nutt sold out to "the man" when he moved away from Camsoda for Fight Circus.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Colby is genuinely amazing. He had a multi fight win streak at WW without a single actually impressive performance but which did include him getting outboxed by Damian Maia for a round. This win streak concluded four years ago, and somehow there's still people convinced he's near the top of the division despite not beating anyone in it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm trying to think of fighters who were mostly highly rated off competitive performance in title losses and how they did after that.

Yan in the Aljo fights, gets beaten twice more.
Gustafsson after Jones 1, lost to AJ and DC but his wins over Blachowichz and Teixiera were okay then but have aged well.
Gastelum fought the fight of his life vs. Adesanya and has otherwise been mediocre.

Who else?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm trying to think of fighters who were mostly highly rated off competitive performance in title losses and how they did after that.

Yan in the Aljo fights, gets beaten twice more.
Gustafsson after Jones 1, lost to AJ and DC but his wins over Blachowichz and Teixiera were okay then but have aged well.
Gastelum fought the fight of his life vs. Adesanya and has otherwise been mediocre.

Who else?

Fitch went back to winning fights dully but reliably. That wasn't really competitive though, it was a steamrolling. It's just hard not to be impressed by Fitch just constantly getting up despite being comically outclassed. He really wanted it.

Mendes, after the second Aldo fight, never got on a win streak again, but only lost to champions or future champions. Nearly knocking out Volk has aged as well as anything else in MMA.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/bullyb170/status/1640532528401612800
Well, there goes half of Leon's leverage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dude has less furniture than Neal McCauley; definitely watch out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Li Jingliang has been having a rough 2023

quote:

Li Jingliang is out of UFC 287.

Due to a back injury, Jingliang (19-8 MMA, 11-6 UFC) won’t return as expected April 8 vs. Michael Chiesa (16-6 MMA, 11-6 UFC).