Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Flex Mentallo is a big issue because even though it looks good (I barely saw the original colors), they turned some black characters white, and that's an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Flex Mentallo is a big issue because even though it looks good (I barely saw the original colors), they turned some black characters white, and that's an issue.

I didn't know that! :mad:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flex Mentallo, Killing Joke, Year One, and The Incal are the Mt. Rushmore of bad recolors.

at least they went back to the old colors for the Humanoids reissue of The Incal, which looks great. don't think the original colors are in print for any of the other three.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like the Year One recolor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I figured out why that "Young Animal" thing DC tried didn't become the new Vertigo like they hoped. Comic artists don't take enough hallucinogens anymore. They're like, "huh what would be a fun new story to tell with these beloved classic characters?" when they should be like, "I have discovered a primordial truth about the universe, these forgotten comic archetypes shall be the tool I use to explain this reality to children"

We need to take a bunch of promising young aspiring comic artists, lock them in a mansion with dangerous amounts of LSD and mushrooms, a stack of Criterion Collection movies, a bookshelf of Omni back issues, and no internet. After six months you let them out and say "We've decided 'Salvation Run' is too marketable a title to not use. I need an outline for a 20 issue run of a comic series called 'Salvation Run' in four hours. You can't use any character that's appeared in a movie."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So in other words not enough Peak Grant Morrison?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's also easier to just publish your own stuff if you want to be independent. I don't know if Grant Morrison did any big vertigo work, invisibles was image, I thought.
I don't know if Neil Gaiman does more drugs than Gerard Way, but you never know.

I think a big part of vertigo's success may have been that the founder, Karen Berger, may have been good with talent or stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Invisibles was originally published through Vertigo, there's also Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Flex Mentallo, Killing Joke, Year One, and The Incal are the Mt. Rushmore of bad recolors.

at least they went back to the old colors for the Humanoids reissue of The Incal, which looks great. don't think the original colors are in print for any of the other three.

Simonson's Thor for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Invisibles was originally published through Vertigo, there's also Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Animal Man and Morrison's run on Doom Patrol were both published as DC comics and retroactively moved to Vertigo after they were off the book. Invisibles was always Vertigo though. I think Invisibles is the only one Berger was involved in.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
drat, for some reason I could have sworn Invisibles was Image, very embarrassed.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

StumblyWumbly posted:

drat, for some reason I could have sworn Invisibles was Image, very embarrassed.

StumblyWumbly's Secret Shame

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Other Morrison Vertigo stuff is We3, Seaguy, Joe the Barbarian, Kid Eternity.
Berger was definitely a driving force for Vertigo though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You aren't a real Grant Morrison fan until you've read the Marvel UK Zoids comic he worked on back in the 80's that for some reason he's deeply ashamed about and pretends it doesn't exist even though it's the best thing he's ever made for Marvel by a country mile

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's also easier to just publish your own stuff if you want to be independent. I don't know if Grant Morrison did any big vertigo work, invisibles was image, I thought.
I don't know if Neil Gaiman does more drugs than Gerard Way, but you never know.

It's an issue with comics outside the big two too. I actually started thinking about this after I read Littel Bird. Little Bird is incredibly obviously heavily influenced by Incal. But one think it doesn't take from Incal at all is the spirituality. There's an evil church, but there is no positive cosmology to counter it. It's Incal without god.

The great Britich comic wave of the 80s brought not just psychedelic-derived spiritualism, but also a lot of stuff from the broader counter culture. It was this massive infusion of new inspiration. And I kind of feel like that was the last time a lot of new stuff was brought to American comics.

Image opened up American comics a lot, breaking them out of just superheroes and into superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. But it still seems to me like American comics are more closed off to new influences than ever. It's become so insular. American comics are based on American comics and the occasional other pieces of American pop culture.

Like, another comic I read recently was Radiant Black. I was pretty excited for it because I'm a fan of Tokusatsu and people said it was drawing a lot from Tokusatsu. But then I read it, and it's not at all. It's just a normal American superhero story. You could argue, and the comic itself argues, that the hero designs are influenced by Tokusatsu suits. But I would argue, no they aren't. Not really. The heroes have the same base design with different colors, like a Sentai team, but it doesn't take any actual design cues from Tokusatsu suits beyond that. It's like the Marvel Ultraman stuff, you have American comics where the basic premise and selling point is that they are drawing from Tokusatsu, but in reality there's a loving brick wall, they are telling normal American comic stories with slight Tokusatsu visual trappings and none of the actual uniqueness gets through

Endless Mike posted:

Animal Man and Morrison's run on Doom Patrol were both published as DC comics and retroactively moved to Vertigo after they were off the book. Invisibles was always Vertigo though. I think Invisibles is the only one Berger was involved in.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think a big part of vertigo's success may have been that the founder, Karen Berger, may have been good with talent or stories.

This is another important point about the Vertigo/Young Animal comparison. Vertigo was created because they noticed that they had this crop of artists making new, innovative stuff. Young Animal was created because they thought they should do stuff like Vertigo again.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
By American comics do you mean all American comics, including webcomics, or just the stuff tied to a major publisher? Because I think there’s a good deal of riffs on foreign influences happening in the webcomic space, even if it’s, at least in my opinion, a lot less vibrant than it was, say, fifteen years ago

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was debating pulling a few webcomics out as an example too.

I've definitely been thinking about how I'm reading less webcomics than I did back in the 2000s and while a) I feel like there probably are just less by volume now, b) I kind of wonder if the issue isn't the bar feeling too high for a lot of first-timers or teens or young folk to want to stick their neck out there in an era of stronger competition and vicious online abuse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

By American comics do you mean all American comics, including webcomics, or just the stuff tied to a major publisher? Because I think there’s a good deal of riffs on foreign influences happening in the webcomic space, even if it’s, at least in my opinion, a lot less vibrant than it was, say, fifteen years ago

Yeah I meant big mainstream publishers specifically. In any medium or genre there's always unique stuff at the edge if you're willing to go search for it. It just seems like very little new is being brought in to the center

secretly best girl posted:

I've definitely been thinking about how I'm reading less webcomics than I did back in the 2000s and while a) I feel like there probably are just less by volume now, b) I kind of wonder if the issue isn't the bar feeling too high for a lot of first-timers or teens or young folk to want to stick their neck out there in an era of stronger competition and vicious online abuse.

Also, nobody has their own website anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
See the website thing strikes me as less of an issue since a MASS of the early boom was people just getting pre-made sites via Keenspace/Comic Genesis, then Tumblr over time, and now the former is dead and the latter is fallow. I guess there's Webtoon and some similar platforms but it's not as one-click now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
And good luck getting discovered on Webtoon. Even moderately popular stuff on there has a hard time attracting a bigger audience.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

You aren't a real Grant Morrison fan until you've read the Marvel UK Zoids comic he worked on back in the 80's that for some reason he's deeply ashamed about and pretends it doesn't exist even though it's the best thing he's ever made for Marvel by a country mile

Zoids were the cat's pajamas. Robotix can suxit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

For me, comics I've been reading end and I don't have a new comic to pick up. And, in the 00's, you find a new comic, you can catch up quickly. Now, you find a comic that's been around a decade or so and have hundreds, if not thousands, of pages to read, haha.

But, stuff jumping to social media makes it harder for me to follow, too. None of those sites let you have RSS feeds, so you gotta log in and see what's there. And problems with, like, Twitter is that all of that is randomized, so it's easy to miss something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wonder if the death of Google Reader had an effect on webcomics. I don't want to go to each webcomic I'd want to read every day to check to see if there's an update (or try to remember update schedules), but having a single feed I could check once a day was nice. If there wasn't an OOTS thread here, I don't think I'd follow it at all.

I'll never forgive Google for killing Reader.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Im pretty sure I'm speaking for about 100% of people currently alive when I ask: what the gently caress is/was google reader?

Which leads me to conclude: no, it didn't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Im pretty sure I'm speaking for about 100% of people currently alive when I ask: what the gently caress is/was google reader?

Which leads me to conclude: no, it didn't.

I feel like Google Reader going away ruined so many things.

It was the most used RSS feed reader. Others came up, but that was when most sites and people stopped keeping their RSS feeds working.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

I feel like Google Reader going away ruined so many things.

It was the most used RSS feed reader. Others came up, but that was when most sites and people stopped keeping their RSS feeds working.

Ah, I used to use RSS but when Netscape... you know what, nevermind. :corsair:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It also had some minor social/commenting features on top of the RSS, which was nice. It was a good site, but being RSS it largely stripped ads, so of course Google killed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got access to Bing Chat (powered by ChatGPT), and it rejects Batman can always win.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hasn't bing chat heard of prep time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

hasn't bing chat heard of prep time

It literally mentions it!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1638624790272417792?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

It literally mentions it!

oh i only read the final paragraph

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It's been a nightmare getting my books from Rebellion - I recently ordered Ro-Busters, some Dredd, and both Strontium Dog books and it took over a month for them to get here, I even had to request replacements because they appeared to be lost and then the originals randomly arrived. Is that just me or is Rebellion/2000ad having a really hard time? The very first order I placed with them I ordered a Slaine book and they told me it was dispatched then two weeks later when I inquired it turned out it had never been printed, wasn't in stock, and wasn't going to be reprinted

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Picked up a little rough, but complete issue of Tales of Suspense #78 for $2.00 today.

If was in a box of $2.00 marvel and dc vendor returned issues from 1970-1973. The shop let me have it at that price since they missed it. :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Picked up a little rough, but complete issue of Tales of Suspense #78 for $2.00 today.

If was in a box of $2.00 marvel and dc vendor returned issues from 1970-1973. The shop let me have it at that price since they missed it. :)

Oh gently caress they're fighting woke?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They fight aliens

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Pronouns weren't invented yet. They were fighting giant ants.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am going to drive myself to complete madness trying to locate a copy of Corto Maltese: The Secret Rose. I just spent a completely absurd $200 buying The Golden House of Samarkand and Tango which leaves me with only one missing. I feel like they might be the best adventure/"real world" comics ever written and it is just so frustrating how difficult they are to find. While I'm at it, it is completely bonkers that Lone Wolf and Cub has a 28 volume reprint from 2016 and the only ones actually available anymore are 1-10. I don't understand why so many important classic historical comics are so utterly neglected

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I am going to drive myself to complete madness trying to locate a copy of Corto Maltese: The Secret Rose. I just spent a completely absurd $200 buying The Golden House of Samarkand and Tango which leaves me with only one missing. I feel like they might be the best adventure/"real world" comics ever written and it is just so frustrating how difficult they are to find. While I'm at it, it is completely bonkers that Lone Wolf and Cub has a 28 volume reprint from 2016 and the only ones actually available anymore are 1-10. I don't understand why so many important classic historical comics are so utterly neglected

ACTUALLY Corto Maltese is (and I can't believe I'm using this phrase) magical realism.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Corto Maltese is such a masterpiece. It's also frustrating to learn that the back half of Lone Wolf and Club is difficult to find these days-- it becomes something so interesting and thorny by the end, I think if the first couple volumes are all that's available to an English audience they're really getting cheated out of something special.