Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Splinter posted:

I use Signal and Messages by Google

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It appears I've gotten so used to using signal for sms that I'd forgotten to reinstall the non Huawei messages app after a factory reset. That one is on me.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've been using the podcast app DoggCatcher for years and I like it, but I'm pretty sure it has been abandoned by its author. It hasn't had a single update since 2018.

So, it's time for a new podcast app.

I'm fishing for recommendations which meet the following criteria:

- Default view shows a list of all my podcasts (Google's official podcast app defaults to a view which shows a latest episodes of all podcasts jumbled into one list. I hate this.)
- Can subscribe to premium feeds e.g. if I pay for the podcast on Patreon
- Has a widget I can add to my home screen
- Downloads episodes by default (not streaming - I am often on airplanes)
- Allows me to hide episodes I have finished or am not interested in
- Nice to have: Integrates with Google Assistant so I can tell my phone to play podcasts by name (not just say "play"/"pause" for shows that are already playing)

Any other features I didn't mention but which are nice to have? I haven't been keeping up on the latest in podcast listening features.

Doesn't have to be free, I am willing to pay.

Edit: Yes I saw the recommendations in the OP but I am assuming those are out of date. If not, I apologize. I'll check them out regardless.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 15, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pocketcast is great. Subscribed to 5-4 premium on it. It works. I don't use any of the widgets or voice command stuff though so who knows. I haven't updated it in like a year or two though because who cares if it works?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I can second the suggestion for Pocket Casts, it does everything you're asking for and has a desktop app (not free) that syncs with your mobile app.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

What are people replacing signal with? I used it for SMS and since they are deleting that killer feature I'm done with it. I don't really trust or like the Samsung default sms app.

I installed qksms tho I do keep signal around for the 2 signal contacts I have

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pik_d posted:

I can second the suggestion for Pocket Casts, it does everything you're asking for and has a desktop app (not free) that syncs with your mobile app.

Thirding, I love PocketCasts. I have a number of Patreon podcasts and it handles it fine as long as you get the RSS feed from them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And it has a bunch of solid rules and stuff for adding episodes, alerting, etc. It's never made me mad at it for like nagging or notifications or anything. Episode management isn't at all unwieldy I don't know what the op is smoking but maybe it was years ago.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
as a complete biometrics luddite i never want anyone else to know anything about my body besides the fact that it is desirable

as a professional computer toucher i know that you know that is a dirty lie and also i really dig historical performance metrics

as both of the above things gently caress cloud storage now and forever

the question is this are there any kind of fitness and or health tracking apps that my pixel watch can feed data that will only store data locally on my phone

basically whos the least worst player in the health data space i want more than two hours of heart rate history etc but if that means providing hilariously invasive market research to some assholes who want to charge me for the privilege of losing control of my own data im fine with nothing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I guess you could learn how to program and make your own app? that's probably your only option

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Podcast Addict I believe also fulfills all your requirements .

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like gadgetbridge is your only hope, but a pixel watch is going to insist on shipping the data to google first and foremost. Only wear it while exercising if it's important to you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think anything outside of the Fitbit application has access to the heart rate sensor at the moment on the Pixel watch. So it has to go to fitbit first.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

I guess you could learn how to program and make your own app? that's probably your only option

fuuuuuuck i know that sucks

thats pretty much where im at on finding an alarm clock app that does what i want and doesnt do what i dont want

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I think there's a FOSS Android app for tabulating the data from smart scales or something like that, maybe there's something there you could use?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I've been using the podcast app DoggCatcher for years and I like it, but I'm pretty sure it has been abandoned by its author. It hasn't had a single update since 2018.

So, it's time for a new podcast app.

A few years ago I switched from DoggCatcher to PocketCasts and never looked back.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I tend to swap back and forth between Pocket Casts and Podcast Addict every few years when one of them annoys me. I'm currently in the PA phase of this cycle but they're both great.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Splinter posted:

I use Signal and Messages by Google

This is my combo too. I also got lucky and got most people I text to use Signal.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I'm trying to get an app that's only in the play store on a fire tablet. Am I correct in thinking I can find some app to export the APK from my android phone to an SD card and just transfer/install it on the fire that way? Does anyone know a trustworthy app for that, or is there a better process altogether?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I'm trying to get an app that's only in the play store on a fire tablet. Am I correct in thinking I can find some app to export the APK from my android phone to an SD card and just transfer/install it on the fire that way? Does anyone know a trustworthy app for that, or is there a better process altogether?

You can sideload apps if you enable it in developer options. There's also the Fire Toolbox over on XDA if you want to go HAM and actually just install the Play Store. I'm pretty sure SolidExplorer can export apps.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's an app called downloader in the fire app store that will allow you to browse to the apkmirror website is the usual jank that would be suggested in how-tos I think.

E: oh sorry, it's a tablet not a stick, so you should be able to access that website through a regular browser probably

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 23, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

App Inspector has worked fine for me. I've used it to export a couple of apps from my personal phone and install them on my work phone.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keep in mind that Google has tried to get app developers to depend on various Google Play services (intentionally or accidentally), so they wouldn't run on a system that doesn't have all the rest of the Google app ecosystem installed too.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I am running Firefox with ublock but it's been having trouble loading pages a lot lately. Chrome seems to work a lot better and faster but I'm not willing to give up ad blocking. What are my options for ad blocking if I want to use chrome? Blocking ads on other apps, youtube in particular, would be a nice bonus too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Something like nextDNS?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Decided to try the Vivaldi browser. Runs better for me than Firefox and the ad blocking seems to work good enough. So first impressions are promising.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Kiwi Browser can use most extensions from the Google Chrome store, uBlock Origin included.
I've been using it for several years.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Kiwi browser is pretty great, and it can be installed on devices without the Play store, as I've set it up on my Fire tablet easily enough.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Havana Affair posted:

I am running Firefox with ublock but it's been having trouble loading pages a lot lately. Chrome seems to work a lot better and faster but I'm not willing to give up ad blocking. What are my options for ad blocking if I want to use chrome? Blocking ads on other apps, youtube in particular, would be a nice bonus too.

Are you using a VPN? I ask because I was having this problem with FF on android too, but what fixed it in the end was switching from my VPN's proprietary protocol to TCP. (I have no idea why.)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

Decided to try the Vivaldi browser. Runs better for me than Firefox and the ad blocking seems to work good enough. So first impressions are promising.

Vivaldi is great. way better than chrome on desktop too

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Pipski posted:

Are you using a VPN? I ask because I was having this problem with FF on android too, but what fixed it in the end was switching from my VPN's proprietary protocol to TCP. (I have no idea why.)

Nope. I had similar problems before with a bad router but switching the wifi off made no difference.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What launchers are good these days? I've been using Nova and I'll probably keep doing that but I wondered if there was anything new and exciting in the past decade out so. I'd particularly like to organize my app drawer a little better.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Smart launcher is good

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Honestly I've gone back to default OnePlus Launcher after a while on Action Launcher 2/Nova. Most of the best features from third party launchers have trickled down into first party launchers by now and it does everything I need it to without me getting obsessive about setting it up. Something something using your phone instead of endlessly tinkering with it; maybe that's just my age talking.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Niagara Launcher's been my recent launcher of choice. Nice one-handed navigation and plenty customizable enough for my tastes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I use KISS launcher. It's great, on f-droid and super light. There is no trouble setting it up because it won't really let you do much. You can't even have app shortcuts cluttering up your desktop.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

Honestly I've gone back to default OnePlus Launcher after a while on Action Launcher 2/Nova. Most of the best features from third party launchers have trickled down into first party launchers by now and it does everything I need it to without me getting obsessive about setting it up. Something something using your phone instead of endlessly tinkering with it; maybe that's just my age talking.

Yea, I've gone back to the default launcher on my Pixel too. I used Nova for the longest time and then something or other broke on it (I really don't even remember) so I went back to the default launcher to wait until it was fixed. And then I realized the default launcher did everything I needed it to now, so I never went back.

Now if only the default launcher would change my background like Muzei does, I wouldn't need any apps for that sort of thing at all. But I like having 200+ wallpapers I cycle through every few hours too much to give it up. If it would connect to my Google Photos then I'd have zero complaints at all, but as it stands I can just download the ones I use to a special folder and forget about it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just picked up the s8 tab, mostly as a drawing machine. Any good apps specifically good on tablets I might check out?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Two questions related to messaging apps on Android:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

2) Later in the year I'm going on a family cruise. I'm told that it's unlikely we'll have cell signal for most of the trip, but the ship will have wifi that works okay. What's the best SMS-like app that I can recommend to both the iPhone and Android users in the family so we'll be able to text each other over that wifi network?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
2) signal