Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

If your container can hold in 344 or so megapascals of pressure it will form Ice II, which is a rhombohedral crystal form, and one of the 19 phases of ice that exist. Water's phase diagram is pretty complicated, but essentially it's just a different crystal structure for the solidification of water. You'll also have to cool it down to about 250 Kelvin, which is around -23 celcius.

You can do it with only 212 megapascals of pressure if you cool it down to -35 or so.

CyprianLatewood fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t cool it too much, lest we end up in a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Don’t cool it too much, lest we end up in a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

Looks to be in the chart around 500 mega pascal or so

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Why is there a difference between wet and dry snow? Isn't it all just water?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dokmo posted:

Why is there a difference between wet and dry snow? Isn't it all just water?

yes, the difference is just that wet snow is partly melted before it hits the ground, dry snow is pure ice crystals

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is that goon who made slim wallets out of recycled leather still around, either on SA or off site? I went through a few pages of SA mart and couldn't find them, and want a new similar wallet

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
e: misread something

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i have some really nice hangers and I'd like to get more, but I'm not sure where they are from. They have what might be the most unhelpful brand logo of all time (inset). any thoughts? or a place with something similar at least. perhaps only hangers dot com!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
You’re looking for “wooden hangar with locking bar”. I buy them, too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah great, thanks!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Your welcome! I’ve come to appreciate good hangars over the years. Mostly what I have now is wooden hangars with a bar, or wooden hangars with pant clips (or plain wooden hangars). Yeah they take up more room on the hangar bar in the closet, but honestly we all probably have more clothes than we think we need. Pretty sure that’s it’s own thread.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Can someone who's not an audiophile please confirm that I will not destroy my sound by shortening my amp to speaker cables in my stereo to different lengths? I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon, but also pretty sure it doesn't matter at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Can someone who's not an audiophile please confirm that I will not destroy my sound by shortening my amp to speaker cables in my stereo to different lengths? I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon, but also pretty sure it doesn't matter at all.

Electricity flows in copper at close to the speed of light. A nanosecond-lightyear (i.e. the distance that light travels in one billionth of a second) is about a foot. The human ear is not capable of separating time events that are closer together than about 10 microseconds, which is 1000x longer than a nanosecond. Is one of your cables 1000 feet longer than the other one? No? Then you're fine.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Like the two wires to a single speaker or different lengths of paired wire to different speakers?
I don't think either would actually matter but I know people have different run lengths all the time and it's fine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Electricity flows in copper at close to the speed of light. A nanosecond-lightyear (i.e. the distance that light travels in one billionth of a second) is about a foot. The human ear is not capable of separating time events that are closer together than about 10 microseconds, which is 1000x longer than a nanosecond. Is one of your cables 1000 feet longer than the other one? No? Then you're fine.

This is why Admiral Grace Hopper would always carry around an 11.8" rod of copper while reminding young programmers to mind their nanoseconds.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is that goon who made slim wallets out of recycled leather still around, either on SA or off site? I went through a few pages of SA mart and couldn't find them, and want a new similar wallet

Pretty sure it is https://www.phil-makes.com/wallets

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Your relative distance to each speaker will matter ~50,000 times more. Wire length would never matter at those scales.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Your welcome! I’ve come to appreciate good hangars over the years. Mostly what I have now is wooden hangars with a bar, or wooden hangars with pant clips (or plain wooden hangars). Yeah they take up more room on the hangar bar in the closet, but honestly we all probably have more clothes than we think we need. Pretty sure that’s it’s own thread.

Wow a lot of strong opinions about aircraft storage

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stupid/Small Questions & Homophones Megathread

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

out of stock for now but thanks! I'll keep an eye on it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanks for confirming my speaker question, and a special thanks from my wife who hates clutter.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is there a word for someone worth hundreds of billions of dollars? Google says centibillionaire, but doesn't centi mean 1/100 not 100x? Would hectobillionaire make etymological sense?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

Is there a word for someone worth hundreds of billions of dollars? Google says centibillionaire, but doesn't centi mean 1/100 not 100x? Would hectobillionaire make etymological sense?

I believe the appropriate term here is "obscenely rich".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

El Jeffe posted:

It’s “oligarch”, OP.

Oh wait no we only apply that term to citizens of enemy nations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there anyway to disable YouTube shorts from showing up on the YouTube app for Android? I watch a lot of Youtube but lately the shorts have been absolutely decimating my attention span, and I really want them to be gone from the app but I can't find a way to disable them. Google is telling me there once was an app called YouTube Vanced but it sounds very risky/possibly obsolete due to being unsupported.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Newpipe on from f-droid app store does the same thing. It is a separate app than the youtube thing so you will not have your watch history and subscriptions though. It also means no more ads inserted by Google.

I think it's on the regular play store too but it's not as up to date.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

so a trillionaire would have 1000 billions. so the most likely names for this person with 100 billions are centibillionaire or decitrillionaire, i suppose.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I believe the appropriate term here is "obscenely rich".

Guillotine bait.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Guillotillionaire

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

Vampire?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

tuyop posted:

Vampire?

Lizard?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"Multi billionaire"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
About two weeks ago I got a bidet seat. I'm not really as impressed as I'd expected to be. I only use a little bit less toilet paper whereas I'd expected to only need one or two drying passes. It's not an expensive seat; could that have anything to do with it? I do have the pressure turned all the way up and it at least feels like it should be cleaning pretty well, but the evidence contradicts that feeling.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

About two weeks ago I got a bidet seat. I'm not really as impressed as I'd expected to be. I only use a little bit less toilet paper whereas I'd expected to only need one or two drying passes. It's not an expensive seat; could that have anything to do with it? I do have the pressure turned all the way up and it at least feels like it should be cleaning pretty well, but the evidence contradicts that feeling.

Yeah sometimes you gotta use a bit more friction if you've had a really greasy go

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hooah posted:

That was my experience. I find the sprayer style (like the garden hose attachment looking thing) much more effective.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are GlassDoor reviews completely anonymous? Let's say someone wanted to write a review warning people about an employer, is there any way that employer could track them down? Should that person go so far as to register a burner email for the GD review, use a VPN or do the whole thing on a public computer?

Or should I "calm down, you're not stealing the NOC List."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'd probably use a burner and vpn because you should do that anyway if you don't want your name attached to stuff. They're more likely to get you from working out who you are from what you post though. You need to be real careful to word that in a way that doesn't point to you. Maybe even get a chatgpt thing to write it up for you so it's not even in your writing style. People can be pretty clever at figuring out who wrote what when they're motivated - which a vindictive employer might be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

Vampire?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there a thread of graph theory nerds? I have a question, which I'll repost here (originally posted in the Game Development Megathread):

quote:

I've been thinking about a problem lately, and it occurs to me that there may be a well-studied solution for a variation on the problem. The problem is "how do I make high-level Metroidvania maps that adhere to certain constraints", with "high-level" meaning that I don't care about the contents of individual rooms, just how they connect to each other and how big they are. I think this could generalize to "how do I make a planar graph that adheres to certain constraints", where the constraints are things like "there is a length-5 path between these two nodes", "there are two distinct paths between these two nodes", "the path from this node to that node must pass through this third node", etc. Does anyone know of any such algorithms, or any resources I could read up on to get a better understanding of the domain?

I've made several stabs at this problem in the past, and had a moderate degree of success, but all of my approaches boiled down to "throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and then try to make sense of it." I'd like something a bit more formal.

EDIT: vvv thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there a thread of graph theory nerds? I have a question, which I'll repost here (originally posted in the Game Development Megathread):

It's usually worth asking questions like that in the general programming thread. There are a few people there who might have an idea of how to approach any particular algorithms/theory question. If that doesn't pan out, there's the scientific computing thread and the math questions thread both over in SAL.