Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

MechaCrash posted:

I just kind of have to sit back and wonder what they're thinking. Okay, I know what they're thinking, but you get what I mean.

Didn't they do a complete restructuring a few years back because people pointed out that "it's an Ubisoft game" described an entire gameplay loop, no matter how wildly different the franchises theoretically were? Because if one of the complaints about my studio's output was "it's an indistinguishable slurry," using procedural generation would probably be pretty low on my priority list for poo poo to implement.

The last AssCreed was apparently their first game to cross $1B in revenue so gamers have not shown that they care about buying the "slurry."

Or the sexual harassment, microtransactions, etc. It seems unlikely to me that AI-generated dialogue for NPCs just walking around that you can't interact with are going to be the gamer line in the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
dunno if you guys played Watchdogs Legion, but the NPC recruitment quests already had runtime generated voiced dialogue, whereas AC:V did not

I imagine these AI supported techs will get used in "cheap" games, not flagships

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Watch_Dogs: Legion definitely felt like a trial run for this sort of thing and if done properly it could create something amazing. Of course since it's loving Ubisoft, it's going to be used to churn out as much repetitive shovelware as possible.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Barudak posted:

I am confident we can build an AI that exists only to harass other AI

We're already well on our way to getting AI to harass itself.

https://twitter.com/brdskggs/status/1637114268876144640

Seriously considering doing the same thing myself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The CMA has dropped its concern that the MSFT/ATVI acquisition would lead to a lessening of competition in the UK gaming space. Presumably this increases the likelihood of the deal being approved by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/cmagovuk/status/1639237189631373313?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Video Game Writer Chris Avellone’s Accusers Issue Public Statement Retracting Accusations Of Sexual Assault

quote:

The parties resolved the matter and claims were dismissed with prejudice pursuant to a confidential settlement that provides for a seven-figure payment that includes the return of the attorney fee award entered against Mr. Avellone in California.

welp

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm confused, wasn't the case *already* dismissed due to the appeal? How did it suddenly go to a settlement?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm confused, wasn't the case *already* dismissed due to the appeal? How did it suddenly go to a settlement?

He kept filing new lawsuits he couldn't win.

I suspect the women kept facing harassment and didn't want to keep getting dragged to court or maybe couldn't afford the legal fees to keep at it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 25, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
loving creep. The small consolation is that he's basically had 0 work in the industry since the story broke out.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://www.ft.com/content/4824dae0-847d-46d7-aa85-7a37daf82156?shareType=nongift

quote:

UK regulator U-turns on Microsoft’s $75bn Activision deal

Surprise move clears big roadblock to global approval of acquisition of ‘Call of Duty’ maker

Kate Beioley and Tim Bradshaw in London

The UK competition regulator has performed a U-turn on Microsoft’s $75bn acquisition of the Call of Duty maker Activision Blizzard, clearing a huge roadblock to the deal’s global prospects.

After reviewing what it called “new evidence”, the Competition and Markets Authority said on Friday that it no longer thought there would be a “substantial lessening of competition” in the console market if the Xbox maker takes over the publisher of the bestselling game franchise.

Provisional findings by the CMA last month suggested that Microsoft would need to sell the Call of Duty business for the deal to go through, a remedy the software giant dismissed as unviable.

“This is extremely unusual,” said an ex-CMA lawyer. “Restating your provisional findings is something you would rather die than do.” 

The CMA’s shift in position, in one of its highest-profile cases since its powers and size were boosted by the UK’s departure from the EU, eases Microsoft’s path to closing the deal.

The UK regulator is still investigating the transaction’s impact on competition in cloud gaming, the focus of a separate EU probe.

The last remaining regulatory barrier is the US Federal Trade Commission, which filed to block the acquisition in December.

Shares in Activision Blizzard had risen more than 5 per cent by Friday afternoon in New York, although at around $84 it is still trading below Microsoft’s $95 offer price.

Bobby Kotick, Activision chief executive, had warned that a “fragile” UK government could miss a post-Brexit opportunity to attract thousands of jobs if it blocked the deal, attacking the British regulator for “not really using independent thought”.

In its provisional findings last month, the CMA said its evidence suggested that the deal would give Microsoft motivation to limit Call of Duty’s availability on Sony’s rival PlayStation.

But Microsoft argued that assessment was undermined by financial modelling mistakes. It added this month that there had been “clear errors in the figures being used to value the small number of Sony customers who might move to Xbox in the absence of Call of Duty”. 

The CMA said on Friday that it had received a “significant amount of new evidence in response to its original provisional findings” that indicated any move by Microsoft to make Call of Duty exclusively available on Xbox would be “significantly lossmaking under any plausible scenario”. 

Martin Coleman, chair of the independent panel conducting the CMA’s investigation, added that provisional findings were intended to “give the businesses involved, and any interested third parties, the chance to respond with new evidence before we make a final decision”.

But one leading antitrust lawyer said there had been only one previous “occurrence of ‘updated’ provisional findings that I’m aware of”.

Microsoft said it appreciated “CMA’s rigorous and thorough evaluation of the evidence”, welcomed the updated provisional findings and looked forward to working with the regulator “to resolve any outstanding concerns”.

“The CMA’s updated provisional findings show an improved understanding of the console gaming market and demonstrate a commitment to supporting players and competition,” Activision Blizzard said. “Microsoft has already presented effective and enforceable remedies to address each of the CMA’s remaining concerns.” 

In its continuing investigation on the deal’s potential impact on cloud gaming, the CMA has said that Microsoft could be motivated to make Activision Blizzard games exclusive to Game Pass, its subscription service.

Microsoft has struck agreements with Nvidia, Ubitus and Boosteroid in recent weeks to distribute Activision Blizzard’s games on their cloud gaming services.

Good to see the US is not the only country where a CEO can just call a guy and have any court or regulatory decision he wants reversed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/4824dae0-847d-46d7-aa85-7a37daf82156?shareType=nongift

Good to see the US is not the only country where a CEO can just call a guy and have any court or regulatory decision he wants reversed

The CMAs math they were basing their stuff on had some apparently basic errors in math (24% of all PS5 owners switching not 24% of all PS5 Call of Duty players) in addition to incorrect sales ratios between the two consoles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fun fact: that entire article is sourced from Avellone's blog and written by a guy who was constantly batting for him.

I suspect a lot of bullshit outside of the actual retraction. The "seven figure settlement" for one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ah drat, I thought Erik Kain did some ok reporting. That article links to an earlier piece, also by him, which is an all-around poo poo piece of journalism. Just unquestioningly citing most of Avellone's blog posts and not including any references or reporting on the accusations. How did that even make it past an editor.

E: like there's a difference between not treating accusations as verified fact and unquestioningly backing Avellone's narrative. The article crosses that boundary in so many ways.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ah drat, I thought Erik Kain did some ok reporting. That article links to an earlier piece, also by him, which is an all-around poo poo piece of journalism. Just unquestioningly citing most of Avellone's blog posts and not including any references or reporting on the accusations. How did that even make it past an editor.

E: like there's a difference between not stating accusations as verified fact and just unquestioningly backing Avellone and the article crosses that boundary in so many ways.

I know people can change but I'm not surprised one of the "Gamergate is totally a legitimate consumer movement" guys is unquestionably backing Avellone.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wasn't aware of that but I also stopped reading game sites for several years when Gamergate was a thing. Just got a vague idea that it involved gettin all up in someone's business re. a relationship and figured it was absolutely none of my business to know more about it.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

E: like there's a difference between not treating accusations as verified fact and unquestioningly backing Avellone's narrative. The article crosses that boundary in so many ways.

If it's on Forbes it's because Forbes is basically a blog and he likely didn't have an editor. Forbes the website is a very different beast than Forbes the magazine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

He's openly admitted to being constantly drunk and aggressively creeping on woman, there was a point he was pretending to be all recalcitrant.

Also, Avellone isn't working because he basically nuked his career by airing a bunch of office gossip, accusing high level execs of screwing him over, and in general attacking a ton of people who own companies/wrote his checks as not being grateful enough to him for being a heaven sent writing genius.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chris Avellone wrote a Star Wars game where one of the main themes was "charity is bad" lmao

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
An article in The Guardian/The Observer about Farming Simulator and Giants (the devs.)

The equipment manufacturers featured in the game see it as such a valuable marketing tool that whatever system Giants has for gaining revenue from them is enough to cover the costs of developing the game.

quote:

How a video game has revolutionised the way farmers are buying tractors
Farming Simulator lets customers test out new trailers, balers and other machinery before buying the real thing

Giants, based in Switzerland, told the Observer that interest from manufacturers provides it with enough of a revenue stream to cover the costs of game development. “In the beginning, we had to ask manufacturers to be included in the game,” said Wolfgang Ebert, Giants’ marketing manager. “Today, we have to consider who we can integrate and what benefit there is to the game – we have many, many brands waiting to be included.”

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2023/mar/25/flight-simulator-for-tractors-how-a-video-game-is-enticing-farmers-on-to-xbox

They don't actually go into what the process is for generating revenue from the manufacturers but the amount of actual farmers playing, and getting familiar with the equipment manufacturers' names, at the least, must be so valuable to the manufacter that it's a hefty amount of money.

And as someone who plays a lot of Farm Sim I don't notice anything overtly "advertising" about it. Sure, not every brand is in there, but there's a lot. I have no clue if the equipment behaves like in real life, or if there are other changes Giants make, but I can't imagine it actually does because it's not a particularly hard sim. It's still a fairly astonishing thing for a business to achieve, with manufacturers being asked to be put in, in return for some kind of monetary aspect, after Giants started out asking manufacturers to agree to a licensing deal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1639762248640897032

https://twitter.com/LeenaVanD/status/1639347400249864193

it’s 2023 and this loving poo poo is still happening. what the gently caress!!! it’s got to stop

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

you would think the big reveal of blizzard's sex pest infestation would have signaled to the other monsters in the industry that perhaps they need to knock it the gently caress off. maybe quit while they're ahead. tone it down a little, and by that i mean stop completely.

but no.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kith posted:

you would think the big reveal of blizzard's sex pest infestation would have signaled to the other monsters in the industry that perhaps they need to knock it the gently caress off. maybe quit while they're ahead. tone it down a little, and by that i mean stop completely.

but no.

I mean, what exactly were the consequences for any of those people? There's not really a consistent track record of people being caught out and punished in a meaningful way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I mean, what exactly were the consequences for any of those people? There's not really a consistent track record of people being caught out and punished in a meaningful way.

Uhhh wtf? Many of them had to stop tweeting for a few months, some had to leave Blizzard to go immediately make more money elsewhere, a woman got to be paid 70% of what her male colleague was getting paid while getting to pretend to be halfway in charge, and Chris Metzen had to answer a question from his daughter and then feel a little uncomfortable for the better part of an afternoon. The modern game industry utopia is here, and it's like you people can never be satisfied.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They did rename a fictional cowboy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mycot posted:

New thread title

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Even if consequences had happened, "they were stupid enough to get caught"/"they didn't have the right connections" would be the takeaway from anyone who's been doing it for decades and hasn't been called out yet

but really

mycot posted:

they also replaced the women with fruit

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1639762248640897032

https://twitter.com/LeenaVanD/status/1639347400249864193

it’s 2023 and this loving poo poo is still happening. what the gently caress!!! it’s got to stop

I don't really disagree with your premise, but I don't understand what the year has to do with the behavior. The industry had been a shitshow since at least the 70s.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1640465809448534017?s=20

Well, there's a twist. I think.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This feels like Microsoft leveraging their political connections to put a story in the news cycle about how actually they are the ones being unfairly boxed out and Sony is actually the anti-competitive one in an attempt to get everyone to throw up their hands and say “ah gently caress it let them buy Activision”

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Interestingly, the actual complaint seems to be entirely about exclusivity deals. It would be great (and very funny) if congress leaned in on this and declared console exclusives an antitrust violation. (Or a violation of our trade agreements with Japan?)

quote:

Japan allows foreign gaming companies to sell to its market, but U.S. companies have never gained a foothold. Microsoft debuted its Xbox in Japan in 2002, and despite 20 years of investment, still has a negligible two percent share of the high-end console market. Our understanding is that the Japanese government tolerates a range of exclusionary conduct by their domestic companies that may violate Japan’s antitrust laws, and that this inaction by the Japanese government harms the ability of U.S. companies to compete in the country. We understand that Sony – which holds 98 percent of the market – pays third-party game publishers not to make their content available on Xbox and systematically negotiates exclusivity arrangements that keep the most popular games in Japan off Xbox.

The Japanese government’s effective policy of non-prosecution when it comes to Sony appears to be a serious barrier to U.S. exports, with real impacts for Microsoft and the many U.S. game developers and publishers that sell globally but see their earnings in Japan depressed by these practices. Such policies can distort trade every bit as much as high tariffs or non-tariff barriers like discriminatory licensing practices, with the same result of allowing a domestic incumbent to protect its market share from foreign competitors. Such policies also can distort trade in the United States and third countries by providing monopoly rents at home that can be leveraged for competition abroad.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…Does Nintendo just plain not exist in their argument?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

No one has given a poo poo about Nintendo through this whole thing because Sony very quickly made it about Call of Duty and those don't show up on the Switch

Nintendo is in their own lane, thriving

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, all of the regulators have somehow decided that Nintendo doesn't count since it would make the argument that a console needs Call of Duty to survive. Ironically Sony pushing for that kind of classification may end up biting them in the rear end with the way things are looking now.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Regalingualius posted:

It's a different market. So yes.

They do not compete directly in high end console video games. They have a budget portable console.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sony makes a big loving deal about CoD because that’s the part of the merger that hurts them (and presumably ~market competition~) the most. I think the UK regulator even said the merger would be ok if Microsoft sold or spun off CoD.

Activision Blizzard makes the rest of its money from Warcraft and Candy Crush. Obviously no one has any competition concerns about those games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The value of King's data hoarding simply cannot be understated in the mobile/cloud markets. That said, american congresspersons are some of the most braindead shitwits to ever draw breath. How long until Kazama Kiryu is sent in to bring an end to this charade.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

leper khan posted:

It's a different market. So yes.

They do not compete directly in high end console video games. They have a budget portable console.

I mean even if they did (Wii got a COD or two at some point, right?) presumably they wouldn't come up unless they currently had a COD game, it's not like the regulators would be like "oh no if we let you merge you'll keep not-releasing on the same platform you're not-releasing on"

that said switch got diablo 3 and overwatch too and nobody gives a poo poo about those so

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

Sony is also a giant monster of a consumer electronics conglomerate way beyond just gaming. Nintendo... isn't. In an argument on monopoly practices in general, Sony and Microsoft are on a whole different scale than Nintendo and encroach on a much wider range of products and services. Like comparing "total assets" values as reported on Wikipedia for 2022, Nintendo's value is a lot closer to ABK than Sony or Microsoft.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rn envisioning a reality where the discovery process of a corporate court case requires congresspersons to listen to an idiot explain the origin of the DirectX project/Xbox logo & a bunch of old Adam Sessler material as part of a hearing on why japanese markets don't care about american game consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's an interesting case because Call of Duty is literally the entirety of what video games are for a lot of people- they buy a console exclusively to play it. And it's been like that since at least the PS3/360 era, two generations ago now. Having that as a console exclusive would be something Microsoft- or Sony- would be crazy NOT to pursue, by capitalist logic. (Or mercantilist)