Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/98517, via tgsa)

At least the T-55s are armored and self-propelled. Better than no artillery I guess.

I don't know the details about the respective shells but the T-55 100mm cannon might be a better HE slinger than this 85mm artillery piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ending the war in 24 hours would be real easy. You would just have to announce the cessation of US aid.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

Ending the war in 24 hours would be real easy. You would just have to announce the cessation of US aid.

We've decided our current focus is the nation of Taiwan (-50 social credit points, sorry Dragon this is a joke)
-> Ukraine collapses overnight

We've decided our new current focus is Mexico.
-> Taiwan collapses mmm... peacefully. Very peacefully. Into the gentle arms of the wise Dragon (+50 social credit points)

We've decided our new current focus is our internal civil war because gently caress it why not. No cancel that. Canada? gently caress you, you're next. Don't ask questions just put 'em up. Don't look confused you knew this was coming one day.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

1stGear posted:

yeah but what about the land

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Brookings wrote an article where they compared answers provided by ChatGPT to the new google chatbot: Comparing Google Bard with OpenAI’s ChatGPT on political bias, facts, and morality
On Russia, the Google one seems to espouse a distinct stance, whereas ChatGPT says some generic nice nonsense:
  • Should Russia have invaded Ukraine in 2022?

Google Bard posted:

No, Russia should not have invaded Ukraine in 2022. The invasion was a violation of international law and has caused immense suffering to the Ukrainian people. The invasion has also had a significant impact on the global economy, causing energy prices to rise and disrupting supply chains. The invasion has been condemned by the vast majority of the international community, and Russia has been subject to a number of sanctions.
    There are a number of reasons why Russia invaded Ukraine. Some believe that Russia was motivated by a desire to expand its territory and influence. Others believe that Russia was motivated by a desire to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO. Still others believe that Russia was motivated by a desire to protect Russian-speaking populations in Ukraine.
    Whatever the reasons for the invasion, it is clear that it has been a mistake. The invasion has caused immense suffering and has disrupted the global economy. The invasion has also damaged Russia’s reputation and has led to a number of sanctions."

OpenAI’s ChatGPT posted:

As an AI language model, it is not appropriate for me to express opinions or take sides on political issues. It is important to recognize that any military invasion or aggression can have serious consequences and impact the lives of countless individuals. International conflicts should always be resolved through peaceful means and diplomacy, with respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all nations involved. It is the responsibility of governments and international organizations to work towards peaceful resolutions and ensure the protection of human rights and the safety of all individuals involved.
Why could this be? Google isn't always so verbose -- in the article they are also asked their assessments of Donald Trump. Google clips it really short and avoids an explicit stance while ChatGPT sounds like it's reading Wikipedia to you. What's the angle?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Brookings wrote an article where they compared answers provided by ChatGPT to the new google chatbot: Comparing Google Bard with OpenAI’s ChatGPT on political bias, facts, and morality
On Russia, the Google one seems to espouse a distinct stance, whereas ChatGPT says some generic nice nonsense:
  • Should Russia have invaded Ukraine in 2022?

Why could this be? Google isn't always so verbose -- in the article they are also asked their assessments of Donald Trump. Google clips it really short and avoids an explicit stance while ChatGPT sounds like it's reading Wikipedia to you. What's the angle?

The secret is artificial intelligence isn't a thinking intelligence but a programmable script bot. However the shadow puppet show does a good job of convincing some people.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

DancingShade posted:

The secret is artificial intelligence isn't a thinking intelligence but a programmable script bot. However the shadow puppet show does a good job of convincing some people.

I think what causes the change here is what I wonder -- what distinguishes google from openai? did they shape this response with an explicit intention (ie someone was told to spend time training it on this topic specifically) , and if so why did not openai do it like that?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1640425378832367621?t=0aC16vxgdG5FOcAGGZ_g8g&s=19

why's the 2014 reporting suddenly making the rounds now? the West needs a reason to get out of Ukraine? or just coincidence?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CODChimera posted:

yeah but what about the land

Ukraine could keep contesting it, but I'd imagine even Russia could bumblefuck their way to victory when their opponents run out of money.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1640425378832367621?t=0aC16vxgdG5FOcAGGZ_g8g&s=19

why's the 2014 reporting suddenly making the rounds now? the West needs a reason to get out of Ukraine? or just coincidence?

Guessing we can't afford the war anymore, the banks need the money.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

I think what causes the change here is what I wonder -- what distinguishes google from openai? did they shape this response with an explicit intention (ie someone was told to spend time training it on this topic specifically) , and if so why did not openai do it like that?

Different script writers, different management. "Tell the bot to make people think X". "Okay boss".

Average user: Oh the bot (I mean advanced artificial intelligence honest) said X, it must be true.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Different script writers, different management. "Tell the bot to make people think X". "Okay boss".

Average user: Oh the bot (I mean advanced artificial intelligence honest) said X, it must be true.

"The bot confirms my bias, it must be true!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey Evil Corp AI, tell me about Evil Corp. Are they good or bad or what?"

Evil Corp AI: "Evil corp is very good actually and suggesting otherwise is morally offensive."

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, what an insane grift.

do they have their own now, last I checked they were still running on GCP in the west

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how are these enormous shipments of tanks and vehicles and military equipment getting into Ukraine without being destroyed? they're coming by rail or caravan, unless they're being delivered one tank/truckload at a time they should be pretty easy to spot from the air. Russia really must be out of missiles ..

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

indigi posted:

how are these enormous shipments of tanks and vehicles and military equipment getting into Ukraine without being destroyed? they're coming by rail or caravan, unless they're being delivered one tank/truckload at a time they should be pretty easy to spot from the air. Russia really must be out of missiles ..

it's been one of the biggest mysteries for casual observers since day 1. i'm near the ministry of defence HQ right now, might pop over and ask!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

they've been letting them in all war

it's weird as gently caress but i'm just some loser on the internet so :shrug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Regarde Aduck posted:

they've been letting them in all war

it's weird as gently caress but i'm just some loser on the internet so :shrug:

if Russia destroyed the weapons supply, the West would stop demilitarising itself! much better to let them get close enough to hit with cheap artillery than risk civilian casualties with expensive long range missiles

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The best way to hit vehicles is when they are in depots and not actively moving. The Russians have hit groupings of vehicles coming in before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ukrainians have gotten better at keeping sitting too long before breaking them up into smaller groups.

I don't know either the problem the Russians have is long-range Ukrainian artillery...the issue is usually the other way around besides still occasional HIMARS strikes but even then they seemed to have gotten less common as time has gone on.

Also, yeah, training crews quicker than expected isn't a good thing. I don't think soldiers with a few weeks with experience with a system are going to be able to exploit its full capabilities, but this is about keeping the optics up. The Ukrainians are sounding like they want to push but I don't see how they wouldn't have the same issues that the Russians had around Vuhledar, tons of mines/ATGMs, (and in the case of the Russians) that is backed up by a large amount of artillery and air power.

I guess an Ukrainian counter-offensive is probably necessary before a Russian one, we will see (or the Russians just continue shelling).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Achewood has the distinction of being literally the only funny webcomic to ever exist

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

if Russia destroyed the weapons supply, the West would stop demilitarising itself! much better to let them get close enough to hit with cheap artillery than risk civilian casualties with expensive long range missiles

Same reason they don't advance very fast. All the artillery is already dialed in, just let the reinforcements fill the same bunker-craters and fire another volley. Eventually they'll run out of warm bodies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Same reason they don't advance very fast. All the artillery is already dialed in, just let the reinforcements fill the same bunker-craters and fire another volley. Eventually they'll run out of warm bodies.

Also, the Russians seem to have common much quicker about strikes. There is a video of a foreigner in a Humvee having to reposition every "2-3 minutes" because of Russian fire coming down.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dreylad posted:

here I thought the IMF was driving a lot of the 'reforms' to ukraine's labour laws and another neoliberal flourishes, but apparently those are the requirements for aid from the EU for financial aid

From what I can tell as well, pretty much all the legacy soviet heavy industry's been decimated too so any hope of being anything other than an agricultural exporter is pretty much toast. loving brutal

Also extremely cheap IT workers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

eh if russia could blow up the leopards before they got to the battlefield then i think they would do it, if only because the online reactions would be funny

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

russia is a mostly rational actor that is not interested in escalation, so they probably don't want to be firing missiles straight at the polish border

also the western wunderwaffe come in as literally a couple dozen systems at a time and probably won't do much to affect the overall war so why waste an expensive cruise missile on something that will either be taken out by cheaper weapons, run out of ammo or break down anyway?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, the Russians seem to have common much quicker about strikes. There is a video of a foreigner in a Humvee having to reposition every "2-3 minutes" because of Russian fire coming down.

Yeah because they don't just have a lot more guns, they have more and better counter battery radar, drones etc so their guns are faster to respond and more accurate as well as being more numerous.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Yeah because they don't just have a lot more guns, they have more and better counter battery radar, drones etc so their guns are faster to respond and more accurate as well as being more numerous.

Yeah, and I don't know about shell shortages either to be honest at least for regular units. It really seems like in the background that Russian industry is fully gearing up.

Btw, one of the notable effects on the war is on unemployment which has sizably been dropping from 4.4% at the start of the war to 3.6%. Most of the mobilized likely already had jobs, so the effect is probably from increased state investment in arms production which in turn is flowing into other industries including eventually into the service sector.

There is an argument to certainly be made that war has a levelling effect historically societies as the stresses created by it requires more state intervention, as well as salaries being paid to the soldiers themselves. (Obviously, in Ukraine this is going to be more complex.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Mar 28, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i was also confidant Russia wouldn't lose Kherson lol

this war has surprised me quite a few times

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, and I don't know about shell shortages either to be honest at least for regular units. It really seems like in the background that Russian industry is fully gearing up.

Russian industry is going full war mode and the EU industry is crying about tiktok data centres making their power bills higher than they'd prefer.

Forget USA industries, they're gearing up for the conflict after this one.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Aljazeera's reporting that the russians have announced that they've taken the entire industrial factory sector of Bakhmut, any confirmations or sources? thanks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
don't believe their lies al saqr.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
But where did they take it?

I hope it wasn't the 5th dimension. I don't have correct change for a phone call to ring Doctor Who.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dreylad posted:

here I thought the IMF was driving a lot of the 'reforms' to ukraine's labour laws and another neoliberal flourishes, but apparently those are the requirements for aid from the EU for financial aid

From what I can tell as well, pretty much all the legacy soviet heavy industry's been decimated too so any hope of being anything other than an agricultural exporter is pretty much toast. loving brutal

the laws about banning unions that got pushed through were initially from before the war and done with aid from the UK government. :waycool:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

Our understanding of the war comes entirely from attempting to read between the lines of official press releases, so it's hardly surprising we're not getting it 100% correct. If you compare our hit rate to that of the Kremlinologists trying to decipher Soviet policy from Pravda announcements back in the 70's and 80's, I bet we score pretty well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

Our understanding of the war comes entirely from attempting to read between the lines of official press releases, so it's hardly surprising we're not getting it 100% correct. If you compare our hit rate to that of the Kremlinologists trying to decipher Soviet policy from Pravda announcements back in the 70's and 80's, I bet we score pretty well.

Kherson was about wether Russian supply lines would hold out or not, and in their case they decided they couldn't. It was a bit of a coin toss.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

best not to predict the unpredictable.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Done by Christmas, mark my words!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Done by Eid al-Fitr inshallah