Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The 3m wool pads actually have red yarns to tell you when they are worn out. I just keep cleaning and reusing them till those start showing through. Foam pads I use till they start to chunk and fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've pretty much decided I want to polish my GTI, but I'm not dead set on perfection - I just want to get the majority of the swirls out and then ceramic coat it. Is there a decent single step polishing compound that you guys recommend?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

a mysterious cloak posted:

I've pretty much decided I want to polish my GTI, but I'm not dead set on perfection - I just want to get the majority of the swirls out and then ceramic coat it. Is there a decent single step polishing compound that you guys recommend?

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It is remarkably flexible and capable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Would it need a finishing polish after, or does the Megs stuff not leave a haze?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Would it need a finishing polish after, or does the Megs stuff not leave a haze?

There is an Ultimate Polish, but I haven't seen much of a benefit to using it after UC. I go straight from UC to final seal / coating.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I saw a video of a guy talking about using a DA and a denim polishing pad as a one step process for removing orange peel. He made it sound extremely easy, but I'm sure it's more complicated.

I'd be tempted to try that one day, but I already hate washing and claybarring...

Anyone ever try one of these denim pads? What do you do around corners, door handles, and other hard to access areas?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

MetaJew posted:

Anyone ever try one of these denim pads? What do you do around corners, door handles, and other hard to access areas?

We took one of the 3" pads and trimmed it down to about half as big (use a stencil and make sure its centered). Was making some weird circles at first, used a metal file to round off the outer edge and it was fine after.

Still had to take the door handles apart, and it needed a little sanding afterwards (it was bad), but we were happy with the result.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RIVN below $13 :stare:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Tried a few test spots with Megs UC...

I will polish all the things now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tried a few test spots with Megs UC...

I will polish all the things now.

:getin:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My biggest hangup with using a polishing compound is it removes a layer of clear coat and I'm paranoid about removing too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried cheapo Aliexpress/ebay coatings? I'm looking for something to apply to my beater Fit mainly to protect the headlights and just make hosing it down easier.

And it's not just to save a few bucks, I'm not in the US so most of recommended products aren't even available here. Hell I even found this review of "cheap Chinese coatings" and can't find any of them on aliexpress lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyD3J7wCwfU

Popete posted:

My biggest hangup with using a polishing compound is it removes a layer of clear coat and I'm paranoid about removing too much.
I just try to touch the paint as little as possible too. I'd rather live with some minor swirls or scratches than know that I'm physically removing the protective clearcoat. Even if you don't burn through it immediately, there are only so many times you can do it before there isn't any left.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried cheapo Aliexpress/ebay coatings?

See my post in this thread on from February 17. Spoiler: I'm impressed with the cheap chinese ceramic coatings.

Edit: Just watched your video, I didn't realize there were so many different cheap chinese ceramic coatings. I bet a lot of them are the same and just re-packaged.

I used MrFix 9h

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 17, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

See my post in this thread on from February 17. Spoiler: I'm impressed with the cheap chinese ceramic coatings.

Edit: Just watched your video, I didn't realize there were so many different cheap chinese ceramic coatings. I bet a lot of them are the same and just re-packaged.

I used MrFix 9h
Thanks! Was that this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001843394245.htm

As you say there are many of them, they do perform differently (although some are clearly the same) and many are actually impossible to find :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! Was that this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001843394245.htm

As you say there are many of them, they do perform differently (although some are clearly the same) and many are actually impossible to find :)

The vendor I bought it from doesn't sell it anymore, but this is the product bottle shape and colors I have: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800632222417.html

I guess it's a YMMV, the latest youtube update of the chinese ceramics said that the Mr Fix can be hit-or-miss, but I've had luck.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

OK last detailing question - is the porter cable still the go-to generic pick for polishers? I don't want to spend any more than that, but it would be nice to be able to use a smaller backing plate sometimes and I don't know if that machine will let me change it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

OK last detailing question - is the porter cable still the go-to generic pick for polishers? I don't want to spend any more than that, but it would be nice to be able to use a smaller backing plate sometimes and I don't know if that machine will let me change it

Porter Cable is a zombie brand now, owned by the Stanley Black and Decker monolith. I don't know what they're selling now, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I bought a Torq DA polisher and like it just as well, actually better, than my old Porter Cable. Soft start makes the operation much easier.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

meatpimp posted:

Porter Cable is a zombie brand now, owned by the Stanley Black and Decker monolith. I don't know what they're selling now, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Apparently this happened back in 2004. I thought it was more recently.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Clay bar and then used the new orbital to apply Meguiar's Synthetic Sealant. It didn't completely remove the swirls but I wasn't expecting it too, still improved them though and the clay bar smoothness is very satisfying.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can't find the painting thread, so I'll ask here:

My '65 Econoline pickup is being painted (3-stage, metallic). As soon as that's done, it needs to be flatbedded over to the glass shop to have the fixed glass installed. Then flatbedded home so I can put the rest of the safety bits on (headlights, taillights, mirrors, roll-up windows).

It's going to be raining for pretty much the next seven days. I need to keep the interior dry.

What are your thoughts on tarping the truck right after being painted? I have an old comforter I can throw over the cab. The bed has been rhino-lined & is impervious.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PainterofCrap posted:

Can't find the painting thread, so I'll ask here:

My '65 Econoline pickup is being painted (3-stage, metallic). As soon as that's done, it needs to be flatbedded over to the glass shop to have the fixed glass installed. Then flatbedded home so I can put the rest of the safety bits on (headlights, taillights, mirrors, roll-up windows).

It's going to be raining for pretty much the next seven days. I need to keep the interior dry.

What are your thoughts on tarping the truck right after being painted? I have an old comforter I can throw over the cab. The bed has been rhino-lined & is impervious.

I would be nervous as hell about that. I don't know how fast modern clears flash off, but man, even after they're hard, they're not cured.

May be worth looking for someone in your area that can to it enclosed, or paying the paint shop for their space for a week and doing it when it's not raining.

So much work and prep goes into the paint, I'd hate to see it hosed up that late in the project.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Agreed, maybe I'm paranoid but I 100% wouldn't put anything in contact with the paint for a few weeks minimum. And definitely not something that can flap in the wind.

Are you talking about just the drive from the body shop to the glass shop? Why exactly do you have to keep it dry? Can you tarp the interior? Can you remove the interior for the drive? Once it has the glass in it you're fine right?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm possibly more paranoid, because I'd rather it not even get wet for at least a week.

Ja, it's about 10-minutes to the glass shop. Maybe an hour total door to door.

I can't really remove the interior , and absolutely cannot remove the glued-down carpet or the instruments. A little spritz is not bad; my concern is a full-on downpour, which it did a couple times today - though it drizzled this morning, and stopped completely by 2PM & actually dried out. It's this typical Northeast (US) spring weather.

It won't have the roll-up windows properly fitted, because the channels are pulled out so the sills could be painted. I have to do that when I get home, and it'll be weather-tight once they're done (though I plan on keeping it in the garage until I've installed all of the exterior peripherals).

First day of zero precipitation is Tuesday. The shop has not called yet. At this point, I'll be asking them if I can leave it there until Monday afternoon/Tuesday morning.

Maybe I could ask them to tape/wrap the interior, but even under 30MPH (it's all back roads) I don't know if the masking plastic sheeting/tape (it's like what - 1-mil?) will hold up...or where any accumulated water would go.

VVV I asked Maaco & the manager said in-house glass install might be possible, but hideously expensive.

I had discussed the time/weather issues with him before we came to an agreement. He knew the glass was out (preferable) and that there might be some delays getting the truck both into, and out of, his shop. He will probably be fine with it for a couple days, especially since they shut down on Sundays

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible the glass shop can do the install at the paint shop? Maybe pay them both a little extra.

Or get the thing loaded on to the truck and only make the 10 minute drive when you see the radar is clear.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Talked to the shop manager earlier this afternoon. Paint was to have been completed today. He has no problem keeping it in until Tuesday, the first clear day, and will whistle up a flatbed to get it to the glass shop.

Thank you for your input; glad I wasn't being paranoid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PainterofCrap posted:

Talked to the shop manager earlier this afternoon. Paint was to have been completed today. He has no problem keeping it in until Tuesday, the first clear day, and will whistle up a flatbed to get it to the glass shop.

Thank you for your input; glad I wasn't being paranoid.

That's the best solution. Yeah, it costs you another few days, but you'll give your new paint the best shot possible.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
When y'all are cleaning, after you've wiped/cleaned all the plastic, do you use armorall "protectant" before or after doing the windows?

I feel like you should do it before so that there is less chance of smudging clean windows, but I don't know gently caress poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wesleywillis posted:

When y'all are cleaning, after you've wiped/cleaned all the plastic, do you use armorall "protectant" before or after doing the windows?

I feel like you should do it before so that there is less chance of smudging clean windows, but I don't know gently caress poo poo.

Armor All is terrible, imo. I haven't used it since the early '00s. I use either a vinyl conditioner for the plastic stuff or leather conditioner for leather.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think I have Armorall because someone bought it for me, but yeah, I've heard its not that great compared to other products.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wesleywillis posted:

I think I have Armorall because someone bought it for me, but yeah, I've heard its not that great compared to other products.

I've just found that when you use it, it degrades quickly and leaves the surface looking worse than with nothing. It's not permanent, though, a simple green scrub takes you back to original.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's also great at collecting dust once it starts to break down because it gets sticky.

If all you have is aa you're better off using nothing at all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, so aside from the quality of my products, the consensus is do windows after the protectant is applied?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I do windows before as a baseline bc they are usually grimey from long transport, but always know I’m going back to do them lightly at least after using protectant. I’ve been using Chemical Guys silk shine for about a year and pretty happy with it, the look, the longevity and the non greasiness

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Armor All is hateful, greasy stuff. I despise it.

Almost crashed a car on a test drive because every surface was so slathered in it including the rubber floor mats that my shoes built up a coating and my foot slipped right off the brake pedal.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks, so aside from the quality of my products, the consensus is do windows after the protectant is applied?

I agree with you and I do my protectant first then windows. If I get invisible glass on the protectant it doesn't really matter to me.

The other option is to spray protectant on the towel and then wipe, rather than spray on the surfaces directly.

And I use 303 aerospace protectant.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Windows are the last part of the entire job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

This is p much the right answer. With everything else done, spray window cleaner will evaporate before impacting any other parts.

Stoners Invisible Glass is the best I've found.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

This is p much the right answer. With everything else done, spray window cleaner will evaporate before impacting any other parts.

Stoners Invisible Glass is the best I've found.

:2bong: I picture this emoji everytime I use it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I agree with you and I do my protectant first then windows. If I get invisible glass on the protectant it doesn't really matter to me.

The other option is to spray protectant on the towel and then wipe, rather than spray on the surfaces directly.

And I use 303 aerospace protectant.

Same. I really like the 303. Looks good, not greasy.

toplitzin posted:

And same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still find 303 too glossy when I tried it many moons ago.

My go to has been Meg's Natural Shine for full cleaning with Quick Interior Detailer for touchups and general dusting. The latter is even safe to use on screens which makes it great for a quick cleanup since you can just wipe down the whole dash including fingerprints on screens and glossy surfaces.