Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Brad Marchand perks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I heard they're going to make the players kiss

As long as they’re consenting adults go for it.

The NHL’s pride stuff is fairly tame and lacking mostly. Give us sponsored LGBTQA+ leagues to provide a good and connected relationship to the sport. Give us sponsored fan groups and team events. Then go do the same for minority groups, kids, and women. I just don’t see how this is difficult for the league to understand. The more people who enjoy playing and watching the game, the bigger and longer lasting their viewer/fan base gets. And if you do the math for the soulless beings in the league, you’re gaining more fans than you might lose.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jhet posted:

As long as they’re consenting adults go for it.

The NHL’s pride stuff is fairly tame and lacking mostly. Give us sponsored LGBTQA+ leagues to provide a good and connected relationship to the sport. Give us sponsored fan groups and team events. Then go do the same for minority groups, kids, and women. I just don’t see how this is difficult for the league to understand. The more people who enjoy playing and watching the game, the bigger and longer lasting their viewer/fan base gets. And if you do the math for the soulless beings in the league, you’re gaining more fans than you might lose.

The true answer here is less Brian Burke and more Brock McGillis.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I won't rest until I can oil up jarome iginla at centre ice of a sold out saddledome

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I won't rest until I can oil up jarome iginla at centre ice of a sold out saddledome

the arrogance to think your amateur massage technique is going to draw a sellout crowd

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/nhl/all-2018-world-juniors-players-ineligible-for-national-team-hockey-canada-says-1.1937264

This includes people like Makar/Thomas/Kyrou/etc. Interesting as it seemed like the investigation was targeted at 3 players (Formenton/Batherson/McLeod), but of course it wouldn't surprise me at all that they've discovered that other players participated/knew. That or they're just trying to cover themselves in the wake of disgracing themselves for 5 years.

There's also very little like actual negative impact on Hockey Canada given that there's no Olympics/World Cup and they have a billion World Championship quality guys. Still, better than them continuing to do nothing I guess.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Video proof of Mennoknight confessing this previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-3PVxc5CxY&t=250s

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mennoknight posted:

Stampede getting a new act? Alright alright

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers punched their playoff ticket.

If they beat Columbus tomorrow night, thursday’s game against NJ is huge.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Wheeling and dealing...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres love to follow convincing wins against good teams with stupid losses against bad teams. I guess just having Samuelsson out has been hard enough but losing him and Tage was too much. Their AHL call up scored a goal on his first NHL shot in his first game, though!

If they get five more points they will have had their best season since 2011-12 (89p). Still sucks, but an improvement.

Maybe if they go 7-0-2 in their last 9 they’ll still make the playoffs :shepface:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Some interesting things I learned during that Islanders Devils game
1. Zach Parise has 21 goals, I thought he was washed up. To be honest I forgot he was in the NHL still
2. Horvat has only scored 6 goals since he got traded to the Islanders and signing that big rear end contract lol. I remember when people were saying he'd be in the race for the Rocket

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Some interesting things I learned during that Islanders Devils game
1. Zach Parise has 21 goals, I thought he was washed up. To be honest I forgot he was in the NHL still
2. Horvat has only scored 6 goals since he got traded to the Islanders and signing that big rear end contract lol. I remember when people were saying he'd be in the race for the Rocket

Parise is easily one of the best value contracts in the league right now, $750k for 21 goals. He still plays with tons of energy and is great to have in a 3rd line roll.

Horvat not scoring a ton hurts a bit, but he lost Barzal being there to feed him passes after a few games and he’s been a bit snakebitten. Otherwise his 2 way game has been solid and he has been great on faceoffs when it matters.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm proud to say that the Staal brothers refusing to wear the Pride Jerseys 3 games ago has led to the Panthers completely falling out of wild card contention again. Good riddance.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The islanders lost to Columbus and Buffalo in between games where they beat Toronto and the Devils by a combined score of 12-3

So just usual islander stuff

Sorokin is gonna be very anxiety inducing to whatever team draws the isles in the first round

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Horvat was playing with good linemates and was in an offense-first system in Vancouver. Islanders? Not so much, especially with Barzal hurt.

I love Bo, but the contract he got from the Islanders would have never happened with Vancouver (and rightfully so).

Also, Hronek actually looks pretty good so far.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
They let Josh Norris run the Sens twitter during the game tonight and healthy scratches/injured players should be mandated to livetweet games

https://twitter.com/senators/status/1640494792030265349?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://twitter.com/senators/status/1640503130193383424?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Only the ones who wear the jerseys. That's what lets you know they're "fair game"

Ah, that must be the "jersey code" I've heard so much about

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Iodised QQ posted:

Sorokin is gonna be very anxiety inducing to whatever team draws the isles in the first round

I think Sorokin has a shot to end the Bruins reign of terror if it comes to that, better than the Pens could anyway, but it’s getting less and less likely that the Isles fall to WC2.

As it stands currently CAR-NYI might end up being the least watchable playoff series of the season.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/NathanGraviteh/status/1640534060421337088?s=20

Doing that at Buffalo when that goal pretty much eliminates them is something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Islanders are exactly the kind of team that could drop the Hurricanes in 6 as they get outshot 43-17 every night but Sorokin puts up a .975

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1640481406789771273

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

I think Sorokin has a shot to end the Bruins reign of terror if it comes to that, better than the Pens could anyway, but it’s getting less and less likely that the Isles fall to WC2.

As it stands currently CAR-NYI might end up being the least watchable playoff series of the season.

Hate to admit it, but this is probably right Pens would be required to string together both high quality performances and actually...win with those performances which isn't exactly something the team has shown they are capable of all year.

Edit: of the remaining schedule Pens have 3 playoff opponents left in Boston, Minnesota, and Jersey. Isles have Tampa twice with the first set of those games a b2b with Carolina. Washington x2, Philadelphia, and Montreal round out their schedule.

Wings followed by Nashville for the Pens before their run of Boston/Philadelphia b2b then every other day of Devils, Wild, Wings, Hawks, and CBJ to close it out. I'd say the Pens have an easier schedule, but the Islanders points on the board is going to be tough to overcome.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 28, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"But I think that's become more of a distraction now, because the substance of what our teams and we have been doing and stand for is really being pushed to the side for what is a handful of players basically have made personal decisions, and you have to respect that as well."

translation: I'm waiting for the team owners to tell me what decision to make so will play the middle until then.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gee wonder what the decision will be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

They’re gonna kill pride night.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The NHL is taking a good long look in the mirror and saying “we have to get more bigoted”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

triple sulk posted:

The NHL sucks

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

They’re gonna kill pride night.

Gotta pander to their base.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

More over CHL, we've got the CHRISTIAN HOKEY LEAGUE now

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Whole thing is a mess. Bettman exists to keep the owners happy and the owners are all horrible CHUD people. Stupid thing is these players have had it ingrained in their brain from a young age that you are a good soldier and do what you are told and this probably could have been nipped at the bud after the first incident, but the second the NHL let people start opting out of pride and getting away with it was a message to all the owners- you can kill this thing. Bad league!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We just need one cool hockey player to refuse to wear a camo jersey on military appreciation night to really blow this whole thing wide open.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

xzzy posted:

We just need one cool hockey player to refuse to wear a camo jersey on military appreciation night to really blow this whole thing wide open.

Only if its another Russian player and they use the same excuse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is there any language in the CBA to the effect that players have to wear whatever uniforms the team provides? Anyone know?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If there's one thing you can expect the NHL to do, it's to make this decision in the worst way possible for public perception

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

triple sulk posted:

The NHL sucks

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cartoon Man posted:

Gee wonder what the decision will be.

a lockout??!?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there any language in the CBA to the effect that players have to wear whatever uniforms the team provides? Anyone know?

My very scientific approach of doing a ctrl-f for “jerseys, uniforms, warmups etc.” didn’t come up with anything relevant

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

AsInHowe posted:

a lockout??!?

"Okay, we'll cut pride night if you guys cut the Olympics."

"Deal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

xzzy posted:

Lol at how different the reaction would be