Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this might be useful for* for warehouses and other massive inventory places. but those places use bikes and other powered vehicles.

*it wont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I’ve seen some review articles on those without the AI hype and the praise was pretty solid except for the price because they’re like a couple grand if I recall since they’re brand new. But I’m sure whoever invested in them was like “you gotta hype the AI!!!”

Or they’re doing that to chase more investment. I was CTO for a hot minute at a non-profit and every large grant we went for was asking us how we would use AI to improve our service, which was tutoring low-income students online. I was like, we won’t. But we had to fake regression analysis being AI because otherwise they wouldn’t give us the time of day.

Honestly if those things drop to a couple hundred bucks I would buy a pair. The selling point is being able to get places faster but not have to park and lock up an e-bike or scooter where it is very likely to get stolen.

Riven fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 27, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PhazonLink posted:

given how all current AI stuff is using proprietorial hardware and software, I wouldnt trust asking it for "stuff" and not get red flagged or honey potted.

People have noticed that Bing AI will suggest Microsoft's Azure very often despite AWS being the more commonly used provider across the web.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If the AI can keep these rollerskates from causing me to fall on my rear end then I'm down* to look like a total dork in my AI shoes**

*for under $100

**rollerskates

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

This was my immediate thought.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I was intrigued until he approached the stairs and had to come to a full stop, lock the wheels, climb the steps, then unlock the wheels.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I was very disappointed because I expected some sort of AI-controlled spring shoes instead of just heelies.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

All you need JavaScript, some $$$ and maybe you will keep your job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HYbFm67Gs8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Chatgpt seems apparently very good with powerscript according to my coworker but Ive noticed it be pretty awful with SQL

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have a free solution to walking faster, it is called: walking faster, jogging, and even running

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i have a free solution to walking faster, it is called: walking faster, jogging, and even running

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesn't that also assume you have a local gov. that cares enough to spend enough on infrastructure to make sure you always have nice sidewalks too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4CHWulnDs

Here’s a more detailed overview of those shoes. In the video you can see it works on a lovely rundown street with potholes and gravel.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/TrevyLimited/status/1639961047846080513

IF this is accurate, it's looking like there is a major breach of EU and German law with what LAION did.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's the hot new buzzword that opens up the wallets of investors with more money than sense. Just like how everyone seeking press coverage or investor interest was finding ways to shoehorn the word "metaverse" into their products a year or two ago, now they'll be doing the same with "AI" instead. Except it's a lot easier because it's pretty simple to stretch the definition of "AI" to cover basically any algorithm at all.

Even if you trust the shoes, check out the price. Not exactly a booming business opportunity.
https://twitter.com/TheRundownAI/status/1639691571267289090

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Main Paineframe posted:

It's the hot new buzzword that opens up the wallets of investors with more money than sense. Just like how everyone seeking press coverage or investor interest was finding ways to shoehorn the word "metaverse" into their products a year or two ago, now they'll be doing the same with "AI" instead. Except it's a lot easier because it's pretty simple to stretch the definition of "AI" to cover basically any algorithm at all.

Even if you trust the shoes, check out the price. Not exactly a booming business opportunity.
https://twitter.com/TheRundownAI/status/1639691571267289090

Honestly? I'd consider it if I could test them and they worked as well as presented. This looks way better and more intuitive than those stupid hoverboards, or a segway, or any of that poo poo. AI doesn't really enter into it, it just seems like a pretty decent idea.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 27, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'd rather just wear rollerskates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Roadie posted:

I'd rather just wear rollerskates.

I would not. Braking being a key distinction.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Skates that adapt themselves to me instead of having to learn how to skate sounds pretty good to me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So it's like this tweet, but for rollershoes. Cool.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1354680585139187713?lang=en

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

One Weird Trick Nerds Won't Like: Just Walk Faster.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

eXXon posted:

Sure except it's already been shown to work?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1354680585139187713?lang=en

this is a stupid nightmare

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

starkebn posted:

this is a stupid nightmare

You wont care

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kyte posted:

Sure except it's already been shown to work?

By what, promotional videos? I clicked on a CNN article from last November and it has the same 5 second clip of a guy stopping and climbing stairs. All of the other footage is walking forwards and provided by the company. Their own FAQ says this about how to stop:

quote:

The simple answer is that you just stop walking or slow down your walking pace. Our AI reacts instantaneously to your gait / how you walk and stopping is seamless. From top speed to zero, you can stop within 3 feet, or about the same distance as you would stop if you were jogging.

I dunno about you but I'd expect a little more detail from a $1400 product that can send me careening into a wall or faceplanting with no manual controls.

Hell they're literally called Moonwalkers and it's not actually clear if you can even walk backwards in them.

Oh okay, here's a quote from the user manual:

quote:

Moonwalking for an extended period can increase the internal temperature of the Moonwalkers above 122°F/50°C. When this happens, your speed will be reduced, and after some time, the shoes will stop with the status indicator lights flashing their respective code (see section 10 understanding your Moonwalkers status indicators). Allow your Moonwalkers to cool by bringing them inside, and you will be ready to walk again.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Aramis posted:

It's hard to blame them for leaning on the trendy term, even though they are most likely referring to the "old-school" meaning of AI, referring to the training algorithm, rather than the resulting artifact.
They'd be great for winter if they actually ran inference

eXXon posted:

Moonwalking for an extended period can increase the internal temperature of the Moonwalkers above 122°F/50°C.
:eyepop: maybe they do

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

eXXon posted:

Oh okay, here's a quote from the user manual:

Reminds me of how Facebook's sunglasses can't be used when it's too hot and sunny out.

https://twitter.com/jeremyburge/status/1549018995172450306

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean, I think it's cool to mocked flawed technology as much as the next guy, but as someone with a disability, I think these look loving amazing and usable in a way that roller skates and scooters aren't, if they're properly executed. I doubt they're perfect right now, but I think it's a good concept at the very least, and it could be improved upon to create a very useful product.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Doggles posted:

Reminds me of how Facebook's sunglasses can't be used when it's too hot and sunny out.

lol jokes on them, they'll be waiting there forever as those lame rear end glasses will never be cool.

:cool:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OctaMurk posted:

You wont care

I will when one runs me over in a parking lot because i didn't avoid it like a ladder or black cat, because the driver just yolo'd the gas pedal without looking, and trusts the car not to hit anything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I will when one runs me over in a parking lot because i didn't avoid it like a ladder or black cat, because the driver just yolo'd the gas pedal without looking, and trusts the car not to hit anything.

Look if your going to go to a natural car feeding ground like a car park, you got to expect to get hunted and eaten. People need to remember cars are wild animals that haven never been domesticated, and you should always give them plenty of distance when you encounter them in the wild.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:imunfunny:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PT6A posted:

Honestly? I'd consider it if I could test them and they worked as well as presented. This looks way better and more intuitive than those stupid hoverboards, or a segway, or any of that poo poo. AI doesn't really enter into it, it just seems like a pretty decent idea.

I dont know, even in the video, which is probably featuring someone who was trained to use those things, it seems kinda clumsy. Its visible specially when the guy gets to the stairs

It does seems kinda fun, but anyway I think the stated utility of "making you walk faster!" is pretty bullshit. You can walk faster if you want by ... walking faster

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Walk smarter, not harder! :dumb:

I would prefer nice light comfortable sneakers or flip-flops over whatever those are. No extra weight, no loading batteries, no moving parts that get stuck with dog poo or chewing gum.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What if you're like walking down a steep hill? How does that work?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Clarste posted:

What if you're like walking down a steep hill? How does that work?

Pretty well

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

eXXon posted:

By what, promotional videos? I clicked on a CNN article from last November and it has the same 5 second clip of a guy stopping and climbing stairs. All of the other footage is walking forwards and provided by the company. Their own FAQ says this about how to stop:

They're way too expensive but it's sort of an interesting idea. They seem to be sending out review prototypes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oC-YQs2JiA

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doggles posted:

Lol I'd never seen that before

The shoes overheating to 50c is also really funny

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/GRITCULT/status/1640709313894182912?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh okay, so it knows how to emulate an acid trip far better than pretty much anything else seen in tv or movies.

You know what, it's not terrible a terrible start. It's obviously got a long way to go before it's useful for like anything. The big question is, what is it going to be useful for. I can only assume it takes a poo poo load of processing power to actually make and seems like it's going to be a long while before it can do anything even remotely passable. Unlike with generating images which is much easier, I just don't see as much time going into training the AI for this just due to how much more processing power it must take, and how much harder a task it seems like it's going to be to actually get right.