Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

smax posted:

That tire hadn’t had enough either, it came back for a second hit.
"And another thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
that tire is a master of comedic timing

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The original video was apparently taken by a Tesla driver, who was gleeful to point out that autopilot dodged the tire (apparently human drivers wouldn't have been able to do that?)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

The original video was apparently taken by a Tesla driver, who was gleeful to point out that autopilot dodged the tire (apparently human drivers wouldn't have been able to do that?)

Jesus Christ that is on the nose.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That airtime, action movies should take a cue. I wanna know the damage to the driver, because holy gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As has been posted several times, the driver was fine. As long as you're wearing a seatbelt, modern cars are incredibly safe.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

UShousingmarket.jpg

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sagebrush posted:

As has been posted several times, the driver was fine. As long as you're wearing a seatbelt, modern cars are incredibly safe.

I don't see a sibgle post stating that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, the video has been posted in like four threads that I follow, so I can't keep track of this poo poo anymore

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

The plywood makes me fear that they've use wood screws and that thing might shear off on the highway

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Some CBS affiliate is now tweeting that the cops say nobody was hurt

Edit: link to said article

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2023

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Great demonstration of the rollover protection system/side curtain airbags. You can see them deploy as soon as the Kia is inverted, but before any part of the vehicle's envelope has impacted the ground (look in the front side window).

I'd certainly believe that everyone walked away, but I won't be surprised if folks from the Kia end up post-concussive or whiplashed. That's going to be a drawn-out process - I hope they have good counsel.

Years ago I managed to time it right to drive underneath a semi tire that had popped off on the I-405 freeway from the oncoming lanes. I realized afterwards that one of the actions I took was to honk my horn at the tire. Can your Tesla do that?!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nuevo posted:

These are always good, but the timestamp I linked is the first time I've gasped in a while :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3IQwjI50A&t=298s

Most of these just make me weep for the future of mankind. Just so many incredibly poorly thought out decisions.
The wheel spacer/brake drum thing at 10:56 stood out to me especially. That's a new one.
These people *vote*...

edit: The motherfucker who had the loving gall to bring the car into the shop for dragging and sparking after lowering it so much that it... dragged and sparked. Also the hack artists how used a *torch* to cut off the exhaust next to high voltage cables.

NoWake posted:

There's zero chance that bro truck bro didn't know there was something up before the wheel bearing finally let go. The Kia driver should absolutely sue for negligence. In a just world, that truck is owned by the bro's profitable business, but more than likely they come away with the insurance payout + the bro's net worth, which was & is now a damaged Chevrolet Silverado.

Agreed. Saw that one yesterday and discussed with a friend. Note that the hub and disc went with the tire, meaning that the unit bearing let go, meaning that the *stub axle* let go (assuming 4x4...) so it's been giving warnings for a fairly long time.

SEKCobra posted:

I read the same thing on Reddit, under the original post of the video by the Tesla driver.

Wombot posted:

Years ago I managed to time it right to drive underneath a semi tire that had popped off on the I-405 freeway from the oncoming lanes. I realized afterwards that one of the actions I took was to honk my horn at the tire. Can your Tesla do that?!

I'm sure that was effective. :P

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 27, 2023

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

I'm not a diesel expert, but I don't think welds should look like wear items

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
new level of brainworms unlocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwI2ewVW-uA

skip to 1:37

:wtc:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwI2ewVW-uA

skip to 1:37

You can just sense the in-car with sunglasses on social media profile selfie, can't you?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You can just sense the in-car with sunglasses on social media profile selfie, can't you?

Nah, that's beyond Heat Waves in a 1999 Dodge Ram. That's gas station wrap arounds with the entire outside of the '89 Econoline covered in homemade vinyl print talking about how circumcision is the true evil in the US.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 28, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well it does seem to be working...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
POV: you’re looking for the ten‐millimetre socket

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mobby_6kl posted:

Well with the snapped off bolt just sitting there on the floor what else are you going to do? :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Teslacams always have that weird sepia tint to them, what's up with that?

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope to god that they just did this to get it on the ground to make their HOA happy while they wait on replacement parts. In which case, I approve. If they meant to drive it like this, holy poo poo.

NoWake posted:

There's zero chance that bro truck bro didn't know there was something up before the wheel bearing finally let go. The Kia driver should absolutely sue for negligence. In a just world, that truck is owned by the bro's profitable business, but more than likely they come away with the insurance payout + the bro's net worth, which was & is now a damaged Chevrolet Silverado.

Except in the insurance world, since the tire hit the road first, they might try to claim "road debris, this will be a collision claim", even with the footage. I really hope it doesn't go that way though.

Been there when a chair flew out of the back of a pickup (SECURE YER LOADS DAMNIT), hit the ground right in front of me, and I couldn't avoid it - even with me having a dashcam. I've quadrupled my following distance since then. Also gently caress TX insurance laws...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
We literally had a similar issue last week.

Driving a rental car and some huge pieces of metal screen about the size of a table was hit by the truck in front and immediately came into our right front. No one hurt, car was drivable but lots of torn plastic/molding.

As soon as it was safe, we got off the road and spoke with our insurance peeps. They told us that there is a distinction between us hitting the object, vs the object hitting the car and that we should pick our words out carefully when we fill out a report at rental place.

Thankfully us saying the object was moving and hit us is the right answer. Otherwise if you say you hit something on the road, it’ll count as a “collision” which is worse for us.
We are waiting to see if any next steps are needed, but thankfully it seems to be cut and dry. We pay for a special rider for rental coverage to our insurer so we always deny the extra coverage. I think that’s going to help us here as well. We rent cars for all road trips and stuff so it was worth it to us, at least I think lol. God I hate insurance

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

why is there SO MUCH TAPE EVERYWHERE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

STR posted:

Teslacams always have that weird sepia tint to them, what's up with that?

Because they use ancient webcams.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah it’s cheap garbage like the rest

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Not being a Tesla defender, but that actually might be down to how the sensor is configured. I have a couple security cameras that if I set them to wide dynamic range, they take on a similar tint. WDR helps when there's lots of lights and shadows to expose details that might otherwise get crushed or blown out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wombot posted:

Not being a Tesla defender, but that actually might be down to how the sensor is configured. I have a couple security cameras that if I set them to wide dynamic range, they take on a similar tint. WDR helps when there's lots of lights and shadows to expose details that might otherwise get crushed or blown out.

They are straight up using the wrong type of camera for the task. It's a deprecated camera that was meant to be used inside the cabin as a driver alertness sensor. Tesla instead decided to use as an exterior camera that is supposed to magically perform all the tasks that lidar, radar, and ultrasonic sensors would do in a car built by sane people.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Musk literally tried to fix a rocket engine like this once, while literal rocket scientists stood by after hours, and he told this story as a positive example of his genius and work ethic.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Musk literally tried to fix a rocket engine like this once, while literal rocket scientists stood by after hours, and he told this story as a positive example of his genius and work ethic.

And then the rocket scientists took it to the test pad to see how big the explosion was?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
No, they launched it successfully. It was COTS-1 in 2010, the first cargo mission to the ISS. They used tin snips to shorten the second stage rocket bell to remove the segment that had developed a crack.

SpaceX has real engineers and a solid track record. Not everything involving Musk is poo poo.

Edit: it was a technician that did the snipping, with the blessing of the engineering team who had run the numbers, to be clear. Not Elon.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 29, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ulf posted:

SpaceX has real engineers and a solid track record. Not everything involving Musk is poo poo.

Musk does, however, have a tendency to eventually turn everything he touches into poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ulf posted:

No, they launched it successfully. It was COTS-1 in 2010, the first cargo mission to the ISS. They used tin snips to shorten the second stage rocket bell to remove the segment that had developed a crack.

Edit: it was a technician that did the snipping, with the blessing of the engineering team who had run the numbers, to be clear. Not Elon.

Different incident. Here it is as recorded in Ashlee Vance’s 2017 biography Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future.

quote:

From time to time, Musk participated in the testing process firsthand. One of the more memorable examples of this came as SpaceX tried to perfect a cooling chamber for its engines. The company had bought several of these chambers at $75,000 a pop and needed to put them under pressure with water to gauge their ability to handle stress. During the initial test, one of the pricey chambers cracked. Then the second one broke in the same place. Musk ordered a third test, as the engineers looked on in horror. They thought the test might be putting the chamber under undue stress and that Musk was burning through essential equipment. When the third chamber cracked, Musk flew the hardware back to California, took it to the factory floor, and, with the help of some engineers, started to fill the chambers with an epoxy to see if it would seal them. “He’s not afraid to get his hands dirty,” Mueller said. “He’s out there with his nice Italian shoes and clothes and has epoxy all over him. They were there all night and tested it again and it broke anyway.” Musk, clothes ruined, had decided the hardware was flawed, tested his hypothesis, and moved on quickly, asking the engineers to come up with a new solution.

To be clear, Mueller is one of the finest propulsion engineers alive. He left SpaceX in 2020.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I hate this. I hate everything about this.
As a former mobile electronics installation professional, this offends me.
I wouldn't touch this car unless it was to rip all of that crap out.

Bonus "duct tape fixes everything" everywhere.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

why is there SO MUCH TAPE EVERYWHERE

STR posted:

Except in the insurance world, since the tire hit the road first, they might try to claim "road debris, this will be a collision claim", even with the footage. I really hope it doesn't go that way though.

Been there when a chair flew out of the back of a pickup (SECURE YER LOADS DAMNIT), hit the ground right in front of me, and I couldn't avoid it - even with me having a dashcam. I've quadrupled my following distance since then. Also gently caress TX insurance laws...

Oh, gently caress off. That is some extreme weasel bullshit.
I mean, yeah, *insurance companies*, but dang.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What. The. gently caress.

I mean, they're all WTF, but what kind of hee-haw bumfuck poo poo is this?

The ball joint one at the end was just :discourse:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1640545015599443970?s=20

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well this certainly counts as a horrible mechanical failure. Got a brand new Milwaukee Mower, and ran it for like 5 minutes, not even through tall grass.

Heard a grunding noise and then it wouldn't cut anymore. Flipped it on its side and, welp:

I've bought a lot of Milwaukee stuff before, and this is literally the first thing I've had ever break.

Go big or go home I guess

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Safety standards? No, no, no, we don't do that around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That whole thread is full of great videos (many of which you'll probably have seen before over years on the internet but still), proclick.