Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ok we can all move on now to keir actually looking forward and coming up with some policy proposals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Good. gently caress him, the big melt. Hope being kicked out of his beloved Labour Party makes him cry.

He hasn't been kicked out, he can't stand in their name

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Quoting one of our own

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1640324062630100995?t=is0oyHNV3JS44ab8xgymMw&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

notaspy posted:

He hasn't been kicked out, he can't stand in their name

He will be when he stands, it's a formality. Although I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the idiot would rather stay a permanently suspended member of Labour than be an MP & do thinks to help people. That's on brand for the Labour left folk who seem cult-like in their devotion to a poo poo political party.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Must end up being cheaper than extracting it themselves or have some other benefit. :capitalism:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I have much confidence in it being a significant issue for starmer.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Must end up being cheaper than extracting it themselves or have some other benefit. :capitalism:

I would suggest that the idea could quite easily be that they are effectively selling on the russian fuel to the rest of the world because many countries won't trade directly with russia. Either by directly reselling it or by using the russian stuff and selling their own production they would normally use.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I have much confidence in it being a significant issue for starmer.

I would suggest that the idea could quite easily be that they are effectively selling on the russian fuel to the rest of the world because many countries won't trade directly with russia. Either by directly reselling it or by using the russian stuff and selling their own production they would normally use.

The best case scenario is Corbyn wins, and that's mildly embarrassing for Labour but in the end he'll vote with them on most issues anyway & their majority is likely to be big enough to not balance on the vote of one MP. So yeah, I just don't accept that it's much of a rake. Be delighted to be wrong, always happy to see Kieth smash himself in the face, but this won't be that issue.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only card the labour party have left to play is that they have to come out and threaten the voters that if they choose to elect corbyn they will actively punish their constituency, which the tories kinda did but with austerity politics everyone got punished anyway

and obviously once islington north voters get wind of this they’ll vote for corbyn out of spite probably

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

He will be when he stands, it's a formality. Although I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the idiot would rather stay a permanently suspended member of Labour than be an MP & do thinks to help people. That's on brand for the Labour left folk who seem cult-like in their devotion to a poo poo political party.

Again he hasn't been booted from the party, he is still a member.

What he isn't is a Labour MP, instead he is an MP who is a member of labour.

He can't be selected as a potential Labour MP, so if he does run he will have to run against Labour, which will be the thing they'll use to boot him out of the party.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's called arbitrage selling OP because Europe is run by colossal loving morons. (I know you probably knew this but I just wanted to say the latter part)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

notaspy posted:

Again he hasn't been booted from the party, he is still a member.

What he isn't is a Labour MP, instead he is an MP who is a member of labour.

He can't be selected as a potential Labour MP, so if he does run he will have to run against Labour, which will be the thing they'll use to boot him out of the party.

Yes, congratulations on being technically right, you know what I meant. Like I said, it's a formality because he will be punted officially if he runs as an independent. Which even you acknowledge, so maybe turn that pedant dial pack from 9 to 2 or 3?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think the UKMT demands minimum pedantry of at least a 5

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's a rake because it means there'll be a big stupid media circus around Islington North at the next election instead of it being an unremarkable case of a former leading running for the seat they've always stood for, like Ed Miliband in wherever it is he represents.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im anti pedantry except when im losing an argument

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

It's a rake because it means there'll be a big stupid media circus around Islington North at the next election instead of it being an unremarkable case of a former leading running for the seat they've always stood for, like Ed Miliband in wherever it is he represents.

I would see that as less of a rake and more an entirely acceptable price for furthering starmer's primary goal of posession of the party.

I don't think it really matters to him even if he lost the election, his lot are all perfectly happy to sit in their seats and complain about how the tories aren't pursuing their agenda competently enough and labour would do it much better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

im anti pedantry except when im losing an argument

Same to be honest. When I do it's very clever & charming, anyone else does it & it's detestable cowardice.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
On tenterhooks waiting to see in the Scottish Parliament will elect Humza Yousaf or Alex Cole Hamilton as first minister.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sebzilla posted:

like Ed Miliband in wherever it is he represents.

Bacontree?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol I have to admit I'm pretty impressed at Labour not even trying to pretend this is factional nonsense. I only wish the left had been this ruthless when it was in charge. If only someone could have seen this coming. Corbyn's biggest fuckup was honestly trying to play earnestly and by the rules in a clearly rigged game.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Stuart Campbell is just constitutionally, genetically, incapable of changing an opinion that he has publicly held. Once upon a time that was just about poo poo he chatted on a forum, or about where Twinkle Star Sprites ranks as a Neo Geo shmup. Once he ludicrously became a national political figure this became a real problem. Like probably most of us, he had not terribly progressive opinions about transgender people in the 90s and 2000s. But while we're able to learn and grow, he just fundamentally isn't. He can only double, and triple, and quadruple, etc, etc, down.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

sebzilla posted:

I think Starmer and co see this as a feature not a bug. They don't want to be talking about policy, they want conflict with the left to be the main news item as they think it makes them look Sensible and Electable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol I have to admit I'm pretty impressed at Labour not even trying to pretend this is factional nonsense. I only wish the left had been this ruthless when it was in charge. If only someone could have seen this coming. Corbyn's biggest fuckup was honestly trying to play earnestly and by the rules in a clearly rigged game.

Thinking of that quote about how Corbyn was our Father Gapon. Not really looking forward to Cockney Stalin but who knows, maybe it'll work out. I won't know as I'll have died in a gulag for being counterrevolutionary for suggesting an easing of sending people to die in gulags.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Stuart Campbell is just constitutionally, genetically, incapable of changing an opinion that he has publicly held. Once upon a time that was just about poo poo he chatted on a forum, or about where Twinkle Star Sprites ranks as a Neo Geo shmup. Once he ludicrously became a national political figure this became a real problem. Like probably most of us, he had not terribly progressive opinions about transgender people in the 90s and 2000s. But while we're able to learn and grow, he just fundamentally isn't. He can only double, and triple, and quadruple, etc, etc, down.

I hadn't thought about it before (because I try not to think about him at all) but that's probably bang on, his views ossified either when he was a teenager or maybe early twenties and the rest of the world has moved on.

He seemed obnoxious when I first came across him in the pages of Digitiser, and well, it's only gotten worse.

Although I do think that if he was a racist before now he used to at least have the sense to keep schtum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's very easy for a certain type of person to be not-racist until there is a certain ethnicity in a position of leadership.

Like how the alt-right was basically formed from a bunch of "I'm not racist but Obama is a Kenyan Marxist Muslim jive talking tan suit pimp daddy" people getting taken in by 4chan memes on facebook.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 28, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like "fossilized in the mid 90's" describes most of british society. Perhaps most of all the mid 90's restorationist party leading the polls.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol I have to admit I'm pretty impressed at Labour not even trying to pretend this is factional nonsense. I only wish the left had been this ruthless when it was in charge.

He didn't even have a wafer thin NEC majority til quite late in the game, it's not like most of it is elected by the members, and the party machinery always hated him. To be ruthless, you need power. So unless you want him to actually be Stalinist and give us all Mosin-Nagants and we purge the party at gunpoint, that was a non-starter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like "fossilized in the mid 90's" describes most of british society. Perhaps most of all the mid 90's restorationist party leading the polls.

Honestly, it's just everyone going "remember when I was young? Everything felt more pleasant and hopeful when I was young". Which is why I recommend everyone spends their teens and twenties with undiagnosed and untreated major depressive disorder and social anxiety. That way you avoid falling back to nostalgia for youth, because your youth was spent self-harming and wanting to die. Flawless solution (I do not recommend this, it's bad effectively losing your best years, get treatment and help!)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

things were pleasant when you guys were young?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah things have never been pleasant for me.

But even then I don't know that it is "remember when I was young" because it's specifically stalled out at that point of the merest veneer of progressive sounding noises over miserable degradation of material wellbeing. The 90's happened and never stopped happening, and that's where all the media figures had their heyday and the politicians are all recycled from then as well.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

So unless you want him to actually be Stalinist and give us all Mosin-Nagants and we purge the party at gunpoint, that was a non-starter.

I mean it would have kept things interesting

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I had horrible opinions as an edgelord teenager, and 20 years on I'm still auditing and overwriting those awful opinions with better ones. It's an ongoing process. Some people never seem content to do the same as they have aged.

To paraphrase Liz Lochhead, "feminism is like hoovering, you have to keep doing it."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My life has been on an upward trajectory from personal unhappiness to happiness for pretty much my whole life, while the wider world gets increasingly lovely around me. If this correlation holds then the world should completely collapse in about 2035 at the same moment I enter a state of perpetual orgasm.

E: feminism is when you do the hoovering, interesting... :thunk:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
imagine this happening here

Europe's unique trials in food 'social security' (BBC Future)

quote:

As food prices rise around the world and access to healthy nutrition falls, trials in France and Belgium are experimenting with a unique "social security" for food.
[...]
through recently launched projects in Montpellier in France and Brussels in Belgium, burgeoning collectives of NGOs, farmers, researchers and citizens are experimenting with the idea that quality, nutritious and organic food should be accessible to everyone – regardless of income.
[...]
Inspired by universal healthcare systems such as those in France and Belgium, civil society groups have proposed establishing a new branch of social security, under which each citizen would receive a monthly allowance enabling them to buy food meeting certain environmental and ethical criteria.

quote:

Under the proposed scheme for France and Belgium, each person (or parents for minors) would automatically receive a fixed sum every month through, for example, a designated card. Between €100-150 ($106-159/£88-133) monthly has been proposed for adults, and between €50-75 ($53-80/£44-67) for children.

Like healthcare, the system would be financed through contributions from each citizen proportional to their income. In Belgium, Fian has proposed people earning €3,000 ($3,190/£2,650) gross monthly would contribute €150 ($159/£133) every month, those earning more would contribute more and those earning less would contribute less. Yet all would receive €150 monthly – in effect, helping redistribute wealth from those with the most means to those with the least.

Further funding could be raised through a state contribution, for example from taxes on profits of multinational food companies or through increasing excise duties on nutritionally unhealthy products, such as alcohol or tobacco.

Only food products meeting certain criteria – such as organic certification, fair pay for farmers and workers, and short supply chains – would be able to be purchased with the allowance, which could be used wherever those products are sold. These criteria are intended to support a wider transformation of the food system to one that is more just and sustainable.

quote:

France and Belgium's trials, which began earlier this year and last year respectively, will each run for 12 months, and the early results appear to be positive.
[...]
Hache credits the intervention with improving her diet and easing her stress levels. "I can buy organic fruit and vegetables and bulk products in the quantities I want," she says.

quote:

An analysis by Jean-François Neven, an attorney of labour and social law, found establishing social security for food in Belgium is legally and institutionally possible. But making it a reality requires overcoming an obstacle which might prove even more difficult: changing the way we think.

Despite Belgium and France being wealthier today than when they established their social security systems, Peuch says it's difficult for many people to think beyond their own interests and see social security as something positive from which we all win.

Dalmais says capitalism makes this change in mindset difficult, and underappreciation of the flaws in our food system is also hindering change. The complexity of social security for food often frightens people, he says, who "prefer solutions that are simpler to implement, but naive and incapable of changing everything". Change has been slow at the political level, he says, though reception among citizens of the trials has been positive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another brexit benefit
https://twitter.com/phil_lol_ogist/status/1638888780374372352

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: feminism is when you do the hoovering, interesting... :thunk:
"feminism is like hoovering, best leave it to the lasses."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Things where pretty nice until the 90s when we had an economic crash due to the soviet union collapsing, and I started the equivalent to high school. Things never recovered from that and the austerity that followed.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Probably better than those American kids had/have it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like part of that is cars and crossings getting safer. The non horrific part.

Also I can see the shift from huffing solvents in a bag to taking fentanyl.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

It's called arbitrage selling OP because Europe is run by colossal loving morons. (I know you probably knew this but I just wanted to say the latter part)

Didn't know it was an actual thing, thanks for the info. :tipshat:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's probably a lot more complex than just arbitrage but it's clear the Saudis are taking advantage of the sanctions placed on Russia, knowing they essentially are what OPEC constitutes, so they're selling Russian oil to their usual buyers probably with higher costs to route and ship it so the consumer (you and me) get's hosed while profits rake in.

e: undoubtedly linked to higher energy costs when combined with energy companies gouging the gently caress out of it.

Same poo poo different day.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Also I can see the shift from huffing solvents in a bag to taking fentanyl.

Yeah, probably a bit of oxy in there too.
It's wild how Columbine and such drew massive attention and criticism. Now school shootings are so normalised that they draw attention but no discourse. GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS. GOOD GUYS WITH GUNS. TAKING THEM AWAY NEVER WORKS.Australia kek