Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kremlin is absolutely in no rush to occupy all of Ukraine, which is why they've been letting Donetsk get shelled for 9 years now.

Today a particularly brutal picture came out of the consequences of that.

So yeah they're not rushing to do something they have to but don't want to. And killing everyone willing to hold a gun now might seem like a good idea before moving on to the more difficult task of rebuilding and administrating new territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean Russia happens to have a lot of room to spare.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CODChimera posted:

leopards 2 are in Ukraine. at least 18 of them

I hear an even larger number may have been spotted :dadjoke:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
has there ever been any conflict Russia's ever been involved in where everything went great for them from start to finish and they accomplished their goals perfectly without shooting every bullet they have into their feet first.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

has there ever been any conflict Russia's ever been involved in where everything went great for them from start to finish and they accomplished their goals perfectly without shooting every bullet they have into their feet first.

Syria went pretty smoothly in all honesty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wars in general are kind of chaotic

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

wars in general are kind of chaotic

Yeah, it is why most that go “smoothly” are some type of colonial intervention where it is pretty much hopeless for the other side. (And yeah Syria was that sort of intervention even if it was on a tight budget)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Mar 28, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

Georgian War went pretty well too. And that previous war where they captured Crimea.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do both of the belligerents get a say in how poo poo goes down? If yes, the war will be a massive gently caress up

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

cool so we're at the "government is pepper-spraying clergy" stage of the war

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Also to be honest, if the Russians did a big offensive and took Kiev, would the war end? Probably not

If they had Kiev, they could give it back in exchange for ceding Crimea.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Vomik posted:

🇪🇪

lol

eesti :finland:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tazjin posted:

cool so we're at the "government is pepper-spraying clergy" stage of the war

Donrf posted:

Опять пошли видосы с церквями на Украине. Один с сложенным храмом, второй с распыьенным газовым баллончиком. Разочарую - такое творится 30 лет. Начал это не Зеленский, а Кравчук. Просто всем до времени было удобно не замечать. Русский священник которому на Волыни распылили газ в лицо и вытащили с храма за бороду в 2002 году не вписывался в вставание с колен. Так же как сожженый деревянный храм в 2005
(from t.me/donrf22/18164, via tgsa)

quote:

There are more videos of churches in Ukraine. One with a folded church, the other with a spray can. Disappointing - this has been going on for 30 years. Kravchuk, not Zelensky, started it. It was simply convenient for all to ignore. A Russian priest, who was sprayed with gas in his face and dragged from the church by his beard in Volyn in 2002, did not fit in with the idea of an uprising. Just like the burned wooden temple in 2005

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Look we all know that ethnic cleansing is no good but sometimes we just need shrug and accept that its innevitable

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

ethnic cleansing is kinda like pointer arithmetic in that way

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

His argument this whole time is that the Church cooperated with the Kyiv government despite it being obvious that this is where they would end up.

The whole first the came for the communists, and then they came for me sorta deal.

The ongoing process of slowly weeding out eastern Russian influence from the territory of Ukraine that eventually exploded into militias fighting each other in 2014, and all out war in 2022.

Edit: also that guy is one of the militias from 2014. So his solution is to just kill them before they kill you.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I think the problem is assuming for example that taking Paris would end the war for the Germans, and it all honesty probably wouldn’t and I don’t think the Russians could brute force a victory without a bunch of casualties and a fair amount of public outcry.

Just shelling them as they come under your guns seems a much safer strategy and it doesn’t seem like time is working against the Russians either.

Also to be honest, if the Russians did a big offensive and took Kiev, would the war end? Probably not

If the West is going to fight to the last Ukrainian then might as well do it in a manner that minimizes Russian losses. (Also, even if you take territory it may not deny the Ukrainians manpower because they can still go after internal refugees even if it is more of a pain.)

That said, we may see some movement eventually during the spring but I don’t know if the “big one” is coming.

Since the retreat from Kiev, the justification for continuing the war and arming/underwriting the Ukrainian state was that Russia was a crumbling paper tiger who could be completely evicted from Ukrainian territory. Even if the military professionals knew that that wasn't a realistic goal it's a much more palatable narrative for the public and politicians than "we want to drag this out for as long as possible and we don't care how many people die." If Russia started advancing again continued Western support would look increasingly like throwing good money after bad, not to mention the potential loss of confidence among Ukrainians themselves.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Not so different after all...
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1640758268883599368

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Since the retreat from Kiev, the justification for continuing the war and arming/underwriting the Ukrainian state was that Russia was a crumbling paper tiger who could be completely evicted from Ukrainian territory. Even if the military professionals knew that that wasn't a realistic goal it's a much more palatable narrative for the public and politicians than "we want to drag this out for as long as possible and we don't care how many people die." If Russia started advancing again continued Western support would look increasingly like throwing good money after bad, not to mention the potential loss of confidence among Ukrainians themselves.

I doubt the West would just give up at that point if the Ukrainians had any fight in them at all, if anything there would be more pressure to keep on pushing more arms in. I think the Russian are pushing a strategy that at a certain point there simply nothing to be done by simply killing anyone willing to fight for Ukraine.

That is also why the end of the war is unpredictable since we don’t really know how many bodies the Ukrainians have left or other X factors. I think the thing that would get the Russians moving is if the West was going to actively send forces in.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ardennes posted:

Kutuzov took a massive amount of poo poo for his “cowardly” way of doing things, war is about being brave and cool not winning.

Ask Quintus Fabius Maximus about that. Dude must be in contention for biggest "I loving told you so" of all time.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Mar 28, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think Biden is going to send troops as long as Russia keeps its gains slow and incremental

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Manchuria offensive.

Potentially the largest clowning in warfare.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a good chance trump is president in ~2 years which would change everything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Edit: also that guy is one of the militias from 2014. So his solution is to just kill them before they kill you.

This is generally the only solution to Nazis admittedly

The furodomor

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, Kremlinology developed not necessarily because it was that hard to find the information as whole but it was difficult sitting in DC. You needed someone to divine what the mystical bones said because it was preferable to absolutely zero information.

I would say some of that is still going on, but again you can physically fly to Moscow, it’s more of a pain but it isn’t the Soviet Union. I would say it is a self imposed limitation at this point. You may not exactly understand what is going on in Putin’s head but certainly it isn’t like available information isn’t there.

kremlinology developed mainly because the us was (and is) incapable of seeing its geopolitical adversaries as fellow rational human beings so they needed some kind of framework to pretend that everybody else was some inscrutable alien

and also because of the thinktank grifting opportunities, of course

Al-Saqr posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

kremlinology developed mainly because the us was (and is) incapable of seeing its geopolitical adversaries as fellow rational human beings so they needed some kind of framework to pretend that everybody else was some inscrutable alien

A lot of that is just genuine ignorance though, it is a one eyed king situation (in this case that eye was also very nearsighted.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Triggering a Hundred Days collapse of the Ukrainian Army and state is a boring and slow strategy, but one that disarms the west of most of their available responses. Javelins don’t matter if Ukrainian soldiers are shelled without ever seeing a tank, the same applies to almost all material aid, intelligence and training. Also, the West has admitted they can’t provide Ukraine with the guns and shells that would jeopardize that plan. On top of that, the Ukrainians can mobilize whoever they like, but if they don’t have guns to crew and ammo to shoot, it’s irrelevant.

I think there are better approaches, but not within the framework the Russians have confined themselves to. They may as well destroy Ukrainian manpower and western money and hardware in the way most advantageous to them, at the lowest cost.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

A lot of that is just genuine ignorance though

well yes, we are talking about americans here

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

well yes, we are talking about americans here

It is also why dudes who could cultivate even rudimentary language skills were in a class of their own. That said, I doubt we will even see a minimal attempt at rigor; we are in full press release at this point.

That said, it isn’t such a surprise, it is just the demands from think tanks and reality will just diverge ever further.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Mar 29, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

It is also why dudes who could cultivate even rudimentary language skills were in a class if their own. That said, I doubt we will even see a minimal attempt at rigor; we are in full press release at this point.

That said, it isn’t such a surprise, it is just the demands from think tanks and reality will just diverge ever further.

Think tanks were always sinecures, they exist so certain people can keep being paid. They don't exist to solve problems.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Think tanks were always sinecures, they exist so certain people can keep being paid. They don't exist to solve problems.

I suppose there are layers of ideology built into it. Someone in the Doomsday Econ thread made this point about consultancy firms. They exist to provide an "impartial" justification for whatever the government was ideologically inclined to do anyway. It's why they're all hawkish. You can always point to a think tank saying there's a clear and present danger unless the state does XYZ, and then the government isn't the one falsifying information or whatever, it's been laundered through this group. A lot of the lead-up to the Iraq War went down that way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Hmmm they were doing better work during the Cold War, it was still what the beltway wanted to hear but it was at least tempered by data. Rand actually did some real research at one point.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Triggering a Hundred Days collapse of the Ukrainian Army and state is a boring and slow strategy, but one that disarms the west of most of their available responses. Javelins don’t matter if Ukrainian soldiers are shelled without ever seeing a tank, the same applies to almost all material aid, intelligence and training. Also, the West has admitted they can’t provide Ukraine with the guns and shells that would jeopardize that plan. On top of that, the Ukrainians can mobilize whoever they like, but if they don’t have guns to crew and ammo to shoot, it’s irrelevant.

I think there are better approaches, but not within the framework the Russians have confined themselves to. They may as well destroy Ukrainian manpower and western money and hardware in the way most advantageous to them, at the lowest cost.

I have a question related to artillery. What happens with all those spent artillery barrels that must accumulate in a conflict like this. Are they somehow fixed up, melted down or is there a fancy scrap-metal palisade being built in a fortification somewhere?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
they are saved up to use as big metal clubs for the ork Gargants

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zudgemud posted:

I have a question related to artillery. What happens with all those spent artillery barrels that must accumulate in a conflict like this. Are they somehow fixed up, melted down or is there a fancy scrap-metal palisade being built in a fortification somewhere?

They can be relined or rebored. Depending on the level of refurbishment, that can be a workshop level repair or, lol contractors also like when guns are sent to them, which I guess is factory level.

They can be pretty extensive, for example we sent M109s and C1 (WW2 era 105mm guns) to the Dutch firm RDM Technology, who practically rebuilt them, increased their length significantly, added muzzle brakes. That was worthwhile though and more than what we're talking about here which is typically restoring the rifling.

The problem with talking about all of this is that it kind of dovetails with a theme in Ardenne's posts which is what a state would typically do before say 2008 or 1991, and what they do now aren't necessarily the same thing, because not only do states not make the guns themselves anymore, but contractors have been inserted into so many of the processes that you might have a maintenance cycle that's not ideal from a gunnery point of view but very profitable.

All of that being said, every liner and barrel has a lifespan, and of course you keep a daily log of your own guns' use, barrel wear and recorded MV (where you can safely operate the Doppler radars), and after that the first step of intervention is new liner, then rebore, then rebuilt, worst case scrapped. The metal used to produce guns is valuable so I imagine they're melted down and used for other purposes that require steel of that specification.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Not really, and we still ended up with Alexander Suvorov, one of histories undefeated generals

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1640774117858181122?s=20

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
2 contre? jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011