Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't hoard items but I will go down a path, realize "oh poo poo this is progress" then immediately 180 to go search for loot

Gamers know this feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't hoard items but I will go down a path, realize "oh poo poo this is progress" then immediately 180 to go search for loot

this is vital. and if theres an annoying npc to chirp in my ear and tell me off for it all the better

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Crying like Cartman when I accidentally trigger a 15min cutscene followed by boss fight bc I chose the wrong path. Later when I return to the area I get 32g and a Cypress Stick.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Spanish Manlove posted:

People who don’t do this have something wrong with them

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All games need a Dead Space style “go this way” line on the floor simply so I know which way not to go.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

its a requirement

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

absolutely

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Crying like Cartman when I accidentally trigger a 15min cutscene followed by boss fight bc I chose the wrong path. Later when I return to the area I get 32g and a Cypress Stick.

this too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

thus is law

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Depends on the game, for me. For shooters and the like, I tend to use a heap of my medpacks, grenades, etc. in the big fights throughout the game. But for RPGs, I'll hang onto everything for as long as possible! Often I'll use a bunch of the weakest healing potions (since I might need the better ones for a rainy day!!!) so I might buy more of them and use them semi-regularly, but everything else just gathers dust.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also this. Dammit brain!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spanish Manlove posted:

abso lutely

i also hoard items tho

i make a conscious effort not to these days because it's such a trope but it still happens

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

symbolic posted:

thus is law

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’ll admit it, I’ve loaded a save because I saw a cutscene.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I got the tude now posted:

I’ll admonition it, I’ve loaded a save because I saw a cutscene.

... sigh, I have too

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Playing 95% of the way through a game, then receiving a "this is the point of no return!" message before starting the next quest, then leaving it to try and finish all the side content and then finally losing interest in the game before finishing the story ftl

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

Playing 95% of the way through a game, then receiving a "this is the point of no return!" message before starting the next quest, then leaving it to try and finish all the side content and then finally losing interest in the game before finishing the story ftl

pretty much exactly me with Okami today except i just didnt wanna grind for demon fangs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I have a wake of games unfinished right at this point.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yup

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We all love to thoroughly traverse the entire dungeon and save the goal for last, but you've got to make progress eventually. Finish a game you've stalled out dithering at the end of this week. It'll help you to renew the joy of gaming.

...but is it art?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

:hai:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if the game is too long though, ill burn out on this like halfway through and start bee lining to the end skipping all cutscenes that get in my way lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

if the game is too long though, ill burn out on this like halfway through and start bee lining to the end skipping all cutscenes that get in my way lol

I sinply don;t play it anymore, rather that do that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There are already too many games to play.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I sinply don;t play it anymore, rather that do that.

i still want to play the game though

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

vyelkin posted:

In Ghost of Tsushima even after I maxed out upgrades and had 500 pieces of bamboo sitting in my inventory I would still instinctively divert my path to collect more. It's a compulsion

Spanish Manlove posted:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I’ll admit it, I’ve loaded a save because I saw a cutscene.

I never beat Final Fantasy X because I kept dying in one of the Maester Seymour fights and I got tired of having to watch that goddamn cutscene before each attempt.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

symbolic posted:

thus is law

Smiling serenely because every imp just gets it

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Starting every platformer by trying to see if I can go left.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

yep

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I never beat Final Fantasy X because I kept dying in one of the Maester Seymour fights and I got tired of having to watch that goddamn cutscene before each attempt.

I know the exact one you mean because I watched that cutscene at the top of the mountain about 20 times as a kid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

this is the way of a powerful JRPG gamer and should be celebrated

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'll hoard weapons and armour etc in like New Vegas and similar games if they're uniques. Not even use them just dump them into my storage box in whatever base I'm using and abandon them there. Consumables get used without hesitation though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I'll hoard weapons and armour etc in like New Vegas and similar games if they're uniques. Not even use them just dump them into my storage box in whatever base I'm using and abandon them there. Consumables get used without hesitation though

oh yeah anything unique gets kept forever no matter what. In DQXI I never even sold the starter weapons because it gives you that warning that says "if you sell this, you might never be able to get it back!" and my brain went "sure I will never use this again but what if there's some obscure crafting recipe that needs it later and I sold it like an idiot?"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

vyelkin posted:

oh yeah anything unique gets kept forever no matter what. In DQXI I never even sold the starter weapons because it gives you that warning that says "if you sell this, you might never be able to get it back!" and my brain went "sure I will never use this again but what if there's some obscure crafting recipe that needs it later and I sold it like an idiot?"

This is going to be my new habit from now on ever since I screwed myself out of some of the alchemy creations in Dragon Quest VIII by selling all my unused gear so I could buy new ones.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

💯 usually try and determine which of two branching routes looks like it'll be wrong

Major Isoor posted:

After never beating a single final fantasy as a kid due to this I've started to just do the ending when it's available then go back in to do the side poo poo. if I burn out at that point at least I finished it

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I like to hang onto unique items even if I'll never have a use for them or if they sell for a bunch of money, just because it feels wrong to sell a unique item

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

the remasters let you skip thank god. ffx's difficulty curve is really good but runbacks are insane if you're struggling against some of hte bosses

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I'll hang on to every weapon in Souls games even if I can't use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the remasters let you skip thank god. ffx's difficulty curve is really good but runbacks are insane if you're struggling against some of hte bosses

Suddenly reminded of X-2 adding a skip button to the cutscenes but using it counting against completion percentage.