Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bij posted:

Ford's configurator kind of sucks so playing Barbie with the new Mustang isn't as fun as it should be.

I enjoyed building a 70,000 dollar tarted up GT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love how they have a cars category with exactly one car

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, all the little check boxes that sound like a good idea really stack up on that bare bones GT.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Car and Driver's 2016 Mustang GT long-termed was a GT Premium with the Performance Package, and Recaros. This came out to $41,290.

A 2024 Mustang GT specced similarly is $54,255. Ford's the only game left in town, and they know it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I know it’s smaller, but the m2 I’d take is $65k and at that price, even with it being ugly as gently caress, I’d go with the m2 without question. That’s a lot of money for a mustang

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup BRZ keeps on winning at 30k

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Yup BRZ keeps on winning at 30k

Fahv hunnert horsepower.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

Car and Driver's 2016 Mustang GT long-termed was a GT Premium with the Performance Package, and Recaros. This came out to $41,290.

A 2024 Mustang GT specced similarly is $54,255. Ford's the only game left in town, and they know it.

$41,290 in 2016 is over $53k in today's money. The increase is right in line with inflation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hell you can buy a decent Supra for that money or like 1.5 400Zs (600Z?)

Mustang will out perform but it’s just kinda boring

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bij posted:

Ford's configurator kind of sucks so playing Barbie with the new Mustang isn't as fun as it should be.

Configurators are less fun than they should be industry wide. Even Tesla's is boring as hell. As someone that works in software (nothing to do with UX really) it is highly disappointing, I feel there is significant value potential there.

Can't somebody like, spend a few mil on R&D making some dumb custom VR headset to rent and mail it out for free or with a deposit? That's a dumb idea to consider.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Inner Light posted:

Configurators are less fun than they should be industry wide. Even Tesla's is boring as hell. As someone that works in software (nothing to do with UX really) it is highly disappointing, I feel there is significant value potential there.

Can't somebody like, spend a few mil on R&D making some dumb custom VR headset to rent and mail it out for free or with a deposit? That's a dumb idea to consider.

If you think like a car exec you would ask yourself “how many additional cars will this actually sell”

When you realize the answer is very few extra you will understand why they don’t do something that costs money.

A super sick configurator isn’t going to drive sales and on top of that, most mfg’s don’t really want you customizing unique cars that have to be factory ordered. They want you to buy what’s on the lot right now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

kill me now posted:

If you think like a car exec you would ask yourself “how many additional cars will this actually sell”

When you realize the answer is very few extra you will understand why they don’t do something that costs money.

A super sick configurator isn’t going to drive sales and on top of that, most mfg’s don’t really want you customizing unique cars that have to be factory ordered. They want you to buy what’s on the lot right now.

I respect all your viewpoints but with this "A super sick configurator isn’t going to drive sales" I may disagree given theoretical data I do not have. It probably wouldn't be a game changer, but something fully sick and genuinely creative could help.

For now everybody buying new cars is old and grey, myself included if I do buy one -- but, moving forward, anything to get the key demo a bit younger by a few years and a bit more willing to spend, the top line revenue isn't going to complain about that even if it's just a few schmeckels.

Cars are in a unique space where the purchase price is so sky high and so routinely financed, there is margin somewhere to build in a better experience than we have today. Even if we have to Grow Shareholder Value Every Year.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 29, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Inner Light posted:

For now everybody buying new cars is old and grey, myself included if I do buy one -- but, moving forward, anything to get the key demo a bit younger by a few years and a bit more willing to spend, the top line revenue isn't going to complain about that even if it's just a few schmeckels.

Main issue here is the old and gray are the ones with the finances to be buying. Younger demographics have less spending money than any previous generation

Wanting something unfortunately doesn't do much of you can't buy it or afford to finance it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

kill me now posted:

Genuine question, are dealerships wanting you to buy what's on the lot? When I picked up my Ford, they mentioned the fleet vehicles were going entirely order based and that retail would be soon to follow. I think people are wanting that point and click experience, so I'd figure they would make it at least realistic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Genuine question, are dealerships wanting you to buy what's on the lot? When I picked up my Ford, they mentioned the fleet vehicles were going entirely order based and that retail would be soon to follow. I think people are wanting that point and click experience, so I'd figure they would make it at least realistic.

They will always want to move the thing that's currently taking up space in their showroom, if only to replace it with a different and newer example of the same vehicle.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mcqueen posted:

They want to move what they have on the lot 100% over orders.

Why would you want to sell something and get paid for it months in the future? If you have a vehicle in stock it’s basically instant gratification for the dealership.

Inner Light posted:

Cars are in a unique space where the purchase price is so sky high and so routinely financed, there is margin somewhere to build in a better experience than we have today. Even if we have to Grow Shareholder Value Every Year.

While there is a sub set of the younger demographic that could easily do a fully sight unseen order of a vehicle online that would benefit from a more comprehensive configurator interface. Most younger people who know gently caress all about cars will still just go to the dealership to see the car in person after doing some basic cursory research online.

The broader public is not like you or I here in AI. They are not sitting in the same place of the venn diagram where car enthusiasts meets with internet dork.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 29, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wouldn't buy i car I haven't driven and I wouldn't care if I could use a configurator online or not

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I wouldn't buy a car I hadn't driven either, but I also don't need them to build me one in the exact spec I might want to build and order just for a test drive either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Laserface posted:

I wouldn't buy i car I haven't driven and I wouldn't care if I could use a configurator online or not

When we bought our Avalon it was "in route" (there were none in stock in the entire state) so we put a refundable $500 deposit it on it. When it got there they called us and we went and drove it, knowing that if we didn't like it we would pass, but it was a really good car and it was a hybrid and hybrids were selling as soon as they got to the dealerships so we obviously bought it.

The salesman was clearly not worried if we bought it or not cuz he knew it would sell right away either way. Was kind of nice actually lol, no pressure, he was just like whatever, here's the keys let me know if you want it or not :v:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I use configurators to get a rough idea of price but on the "lower" end of the spectrum there isn't really much to configure.

Most Toyota, Honda and VW products don't have much in the way of options and get sold as all-in-one trim packages. Once you know the trim you want you don't have much else to spec into the car besides dealer installed accessories like illuminated door sill panels, trunk liner, All weather mats, PPF for the hood etc.

It seems that specific custom configs are an American car and German car thing and even then most of those vehicles ship with some kind of "optimal" config that satisfies the average consumer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Configurators are limited because they represent manufacturing complexity, which is the enemy.

True options level configuration is expensive. Even stuff that's relatively configurable like half-tons and Porsches have packages and gated options.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I can understand not having a shot of all 10 wheel options but it would be nice to have multiple angles of the paint options, at least on one trim.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

fknlo posted:

I know it’s smaller, but the m2 I’d take is $65k and at that price, even with it being ugly as gently caress, I’d go with the m2 without question. That’s a lot of money for a mustang

Absolutely same. Would lose zero sleep or give it a second thought even.
Ive also seen a couple pics recently that didnt make the M2 look as ugly as I thought previously. Maybe some of the other colors hide the weird shape better than others?
Someone recently bought one on Reddit. It was a light blue/gray and it didnt look like someone took a soap bar and whittled the body shape with a pocket knife. Or at least that color was able to hide it better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
First hybrid lambo is now live

https://youtu.be/REMvI7-7iO8

Name is a tad lovely, it sounds like something out of a rando noname amazon listing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like their newer headlight design, but if you told me this was just some other special low production Aventador I'd believe you. Is this the last NA V12? I thought it was already confirmed dead, so I'm surprised to see this (even if it's a Hybrid).

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

kill me now posted:

They want to move what they have on the lot 100% over orders.

Why would you want to sell something and get paid for it months in the future? If you have a vehicle in stock it’s basically instant gratification for the dealership.

While there is a sub set of the younger demographic that could easily do a fully sight unseen order of a vehicle online that would benefit from a more comprehensive configurator interface. Most younger people who know gently caress all about cars will still just go to the dealership to see the car in person after doing some basic cursory research online.

The broader public is not like you or I here in AI. They are not sitting in the same place of the venn diagram where car enthusiasts meets with internet dork.

That makes sense. The end game described to my by the salesman was that there wouldn't be traditional dealerships anymore. That huge lots would be replaced by small showrooms with several models. You'd make sure that you and yours giant rear end fits into a new F350, make the order, wait 3-4 months and then pick it up. I did just this for my Ranger during the car crunch last year and I think I'd feel comfortable doing something similar in the future.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I like their newer headlight design, but if you told me this was just some other special low production Aventador I'd believe you. Is this the last NA V12? I thought it was already confirmed dead, so I'm surprised to see this (even if it's a Hybrid).

Murcielago lasted ten years, Aventador eleven. Let's also make it eleven for this one, it means 2034. Even with the e-fuel lifeline, i'm expecting the bulk of the power out of batteries and not from an engine for its successor.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sab669 posted:

It's hybrid.

quote:

Its 6.5-liter naturally aspirated V-12 engine produces 820 hp and 535 lb-ft of torque, augmented by two 148-hp/258-lb-ft motors driving the front wheels and a 148-hp/110-lb-ft motor integrated into the all-new eight-speed dual-clutch transmission mounted transversely behind the rear axle. Peak system output is 1,001 hp and 793 lb-ft.

3.8kwh battery.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mcqueen posted:

That makes sense. The end game described to my by the salesman was that there wouldn't be traditional dealerships anymore. That huge lots would be replaced by small showrooms with several models. You'd make sure that you and yours giant rear end fits into a new F350, make the order, wait 3-4 months and then pick it up. I did just this for my Ranger during the car crunch last year and I think I'd feel comfortable doing something similar in the future.

I don’t really see that happening.

Dealerships are beneficial to manufacturers in that an mfg can produce cars at a steady rate and sell them to the dealers to sell or store until there is a buyer. It gives some elasticity to the process in normal times. If they have to speed up or slow production because orders have been up or down it will decrease their efficient and drive up costs. They don’t want this. They also don’t want to be responsible for storing excess production. It costs money to make sure that unsold cars don’t sit and deteriorate and there is always a chance something happens like a natural disaster to destroy that stored inventory. If it’s on individual dealers to maintain inventory and hold the liability for them.

People are also impatient, want instant gratification and sometimes need a car now. What are you going to do if your car gets totaled? Wait 4 months and have to pay for a rental?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wonder how well the Lucid strategy of opening small stores mainly in luxury shopping centers is working. I think even Genesis is trying that now, they’re opening something in a Scottsdale outlet mall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

carry on then posted:

I wonder how well the Lucid strategy of opening small stores mainly in luxury shopping centers is working. I think even Genesis is trying that now, they’re opening something in a Scottsdale outlet mall.

lucid is in a bad way right now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lucid is in a bad way right now

Guess that answers that discussion.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kill me now posted:

I don’t really see that happening.

Dealerships are beneficial to manufacturers in that an mfg can produce cars at a steady rate and sell them to the dealers to sell or store until there is a buyer. It gives some elasticity to the process in normal times. If they have to speed up or slow production because orders have been up or down it will decrease their efficient and drive up costs. They don’t want this. They also don’t want to be responsible for storing excess production. It costs money to make sure that unsold cars don’t sit and deteriorate and there is always a chance something happens like a natural disaster to destroy that stored inventory. If it’s on individual dealers to maintain inventory and hold the liability for them.

People are also impatient, want instant gratification and sometimes need a car now. What are you going to do if your car gets totaled? Wait 4 months and have to pay for a rental?

I think that Ford realizes that buyers who really like cars and care about what they're getting are willing to wait for orders to come through. Look at the Bronco process where you've got buyers waiting 2+ years, or the Maverick where orders were only open for 5 days for a whole model year. Buyers of those trucks are more important customers than the person who shows up, wants any crossover, and drives away with an Edge or Explorer.

The dealer might have a couple F150s and Explorers on the lot, but if you want anything else you need to order it. Hell, how many people are likely to want an off-the-shelf Mustang and not a specific config? Probably not many.

Edit: it's also insanely frustrating that Toyota and the Koreans don't do dealer orders at all, my understanding is that the dealer gets what they get, and then has to sell it. That sucks. I've done two Ford orders and both have been an excellent experience.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 30, 2023

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Special ordering a car is awesome for "non emergency" car purchases. I don't want to visit lots of dealerships when they should be capable of selling something that I want.

It's a huge purchase for most people so waiting a while doesn't matter. Spend a long time saving and then wait a few months for car to be built.

Dealers stock the cars with low/premium features and common color options. If you want an odd color or some specific (mid tier) options, then you need to custom order it.

Special ordering also guarantees that you'll get the limited volume cars. They're also super easy sales because customers know what they want. Salespeople can still spend time upselling other customers.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: it's also insanely frustrating that Toyota and the Koreans don't do dealer orders at all, my understanding is that the dealer gets what they get, and then has to sell it. That sucks. I've done two Ford orders and both have been an excellent experience.

I thought it was Honda that flat-out doesn't do factory orders?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that Ford realizes that buyers who really like cars and care about what they're getting are willing to wait for orders to come through. Look at the Bronco process where you've got buyers waiting 2+ years, or the Maverick where orders were only open for 5 days for a whole model year. Buyers of those trucks are more important customers than the person who shows up, wants any crossover, and drives away with an Edge or Explorer.

The dealer might have a couple F150s and Explorers on the lot, but if you want anything else you need to order it. Hell, how many people are likely to want an off-the-shelf Mustang and not a specific config? Probably not many.

Those examples are for more niche vehicles that was brand new in the middle of a massive pandemic related supply chain crunch.

If either of those two models had a normal release they would have had a 6 month period of "hard to find" on lots then there would be plenty availability after that. Don't get me wrong they are both hits for Ford so far, but the long waitlists for them have more to do with ongoing parts shortages than any shift in how Ford sells cars.

I would also say that Bronco and Maverick customers are absolutely not more important to Ford than the customers who buy the Explorer. Ask Subaru how they feel about the importance of regular vehicle customers vs enthusiast vehicle customers.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hate to say it, but yeah, Subaru make their money on Crosstreks.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I thought it was Honda that flat-out doesn't do factory orders?

All of those and Mazda, too. Subaru is the exception that allows custom orders.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't mind the lack of custom ordering so much when a mainstream manufacturer does strict trim levels without any additional factory options. When every single Touring or Signature trim is identical except for paint color it makes finding the exact match car a lot easier in inventory or in a new shipment. Mazda is a good example of this.

What sucks is when there's factory options on top of trim level, so now you have to inspect the options sheet of every possible match to make sure it's what you want. Toyota still does this and won't let you order a specific car so it's the worst of both worlds. Not all XLEs or Limiteds are the same.

For higher end stuff like Porsche with an option sheet longer than a CVS receipt, then factory ordering is ideal.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Full Collapse posted:

Hate to say it, but yeah, Subaru make their money on Crosstreks.

Or the reason why nearly every time a super cool enthusiast car comes out from GM and the like that doesn't have 50 years or history tied to it, it is gone within a few model years. Bean counters gonna count beans, so if its not making them beans to count its going to stop existing.