Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cr0y posted:

Fiber doesn't really have "modems", the box is called an ONT and it converts fiber to coax or ethernet, from there you plug it into your router or a router that the ISP gives you.

To be clear the fiber will come into your house and all of the boxes will be inside somewhere.
There's a big difference between whether you have *PON fiber, or whether it's just Ethernet 10GBase-(L|P|E|Z)R with OS2+, in so far as how much work the CPE at the DMARC is going to be doing and how easy it is to terminate on your own.

Although with the recent spat of *PON-capable SFP(+) modules, it's become a lot easier.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a big difference between whether you have *PON fiber, or whether it's just Ethernet 10GBase-(L|P|E|Z)R with OS2+, in so far as how much work the CPE at the DMARC is going to be doing and how easy it is to terminate on your own.

Although with the recent spat of *PON-capable SFP(+) modules, it's become a lot easier.

True, To be honest I just did a quick Google and it looks like frontier is a PON

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks, goons! Is the fiber-to-ethernet thing something I can/should buy myself? I ask as someone who has owned their own cable modem for 20 years because gently caress if I'm going to lease one from the cable company. I don't know if Frontier (fiber) is a different beast, though.

You can buy SFP to copper media converters ($20 for a single 1G unit) if the fiber is just running standard Ethernet and is terminated with a dual LC/single SC connector that you can pull and re-plug. You'll need to know the characteristics of the SFP to buy as well, but depending on the ISP equipment's configuration it might be pretty easy to figure out what kind you need. My parents got a fiber installation at their house last year and their ISP just used a router which has an SFP port, which made it really easy to figure out what kind I would need if they ever wanted to ditch the ISP router. I have AT&T fiber and they mounted a box on the wall with a copper cable on my side, so I'm not sure if I could even reconnect the fiber to something else in any easily reversible way.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
drat it, quote is not edit.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
If you go with your own PON ONT optic/converter you'll have to call them and have them authorize your device on the network. There's a CLEI(I think?) number on them that they have to program on the OLT side.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone use any software or templates for excel for sketching out their home networks? I’m thinking of doing a big cleanup on mine and replacing an aging netgear router with either a pfsense box or udm pro se.

Would be nice to have a clean way to inventory all the devices/ips and figure out how I want to set up vlans etc. was just going to do this in excel if there isn’t a good tool to do this.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So I just rolled my first opnsense box to replace an aging ddwrt router and it mostly went fine. Had to learn some new poo poo but nothing major.

One thing I can't find an easy answer to is something that will track hourly/weekly/monthly/yearly WAN upload/download on a historical basis. ddwrt had a nice simple graph that showed me day by day but I can't see to find many options for opnsense other than the very ugly vnstat plugin or rolling my own onprem netflow collector and then some analysis tool (which I should probably do but.... Not right now).

Anyone have any ideas for something quick?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

priznat posted:

Does anyone use any software or templates for excel for sketching out their home networks? I’m thinking of doing a big cleanup on mine and replacing an aging netgear router with either a pfsense box or udm pro se.

Would be nice to have a clean way to inventory all the devices/ips and figure out how I want to set up vlans etc. was just going to do this in excel if there isn’t a good tool to do this.

Draw.io is what I use for all my diagram needs. Can import Visio drawings if you want to get very fancy.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

cr0y posted:

So I just rolled my first opnsense box to replace an aging ddwrt router and it mostly went fine. Had to learn some new poo poo but nothing major.

One thing I can't find an easy answer to is something that will track hourly/weekly/monthly/yearly WAN upload/download on a historical basis. ddwrt had a nice simple graph that showed me day by day but I can't see to find many options for opnsense other than the very ugly vnstat plugin or rolling my own onprem netflow collector and then some analysis tool (which I should probably do but.... Not right now).

I use pfsense and I'm not sure if opnsense has a package manager or not, but I use bandwidthd for that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cr0y posted:

Insight under reporting does that, it’s not on by default

Logistics
Mar 7, 2009

Most users here don't react too well to gay posts!

priznat posted:

I recently put an old I7-4770 with an Intel dual gigabit card into service to relieve my R7000 running DD-WRT of routing duties. A speed test on SpeedGuide showed an immediate increase over the R7000 acting as the DHCP server, and when I moved all the LAN duties off the R7000 and onto an 8-port GS108 switch behind the pfSense box all the WiFi access was noticeably snappier on the R7000. I definitely recommend running a pfSense box at full turbo, though it never exceeds 1% CPU usage.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I noticed about a 8% speed bump when I switched over to opnsense on a board with 2.5gbps ports. I have "gig" fiber and max out at about 108MB/s which I'm sure is basically the line being saturated as I think on paper Verizon says it's actually like 940/880Mbps or something

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For Ethernet using TCP, linerate is ~116MBps, for UDP it's 125MBps, assuming MTU is 1500 bytes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hmm..

So in opnsense what is the magic NAT tweak I need to adjust to fix this issue:

(I'm always connecting to a .com that points at my home WAN IP)

If I'm on a device and that device is on my local wifi (10.10.10.x) I can hit web services that are locally hosted and running through a reverse proxy.

If I am away from my house and I am on my self hosted vpn (10.10.11.x), this still works.

If I am on my local lan AND connected to my VPN (because my phone is basically just always on it for convenience) when I try to hit my domain I get the opnsense web UI instead of the port forward for the reverse proxy web service.

I've always struggled with this when going to a new router and I can't wrap my head around exactly what it's trying to do or what I need to adjust

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cr0y posted:

Hmm..

So in opnsense what is the magic NAT tweak I need to adjust to fix this issue:

(I'm always connecting to a .com that points at my home WAN IP)

If I'm on a device and that device is on my local wifi (10.10.10.x) I can hit web services that are locally hosted and running through a reverse proxy.

If I am away from my house and I am on my self hosted vpn (10.10.11.x), this still works.

If I am on my local lan AND connected to my VPN (because my phone is basically just always on it for convenience) when I try to hit my domain I get the opnsense web UI instead of the port forward for the reverse proxy web service.

I've always struggled with this when going to a new router and I can't wrap my head around exactly what it's trying to do or what I need to adjust

set up a DNS override for the reverse dns, I think that’s what I had to do, it’s been a while since I set that up though my memory is foggy

e: also VPNs can get weird when you’re connected to them from inside the LAN you’re trying to remotely connect to

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

e.pilot posted:

set up a DNS override for the reverse dns, I think that’s what I had to do, it’s been a while since I set that up though my memory is foggy

e: also VPNs can get weird when you’re connected to them from inside the LAN you’re trying to remotely connect to

I'll check in on the reverse, thanks, but to be clear the forward does properly resolve to my external IP.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cr0y posted:

I'll check in on the reverse, thanks, but to be clear the forward does properly resolve to my external IP.

sorry I was a bit vague there, set up the DNS override so when you’re on your internal network it forwards to the internal IP of the reverse proxy

if your external IP is say 69.4.20.69 and that’s what it’s trying to resolve to when you’re inside of the network it can act strange, change it to resolve to the internal IP of the reverse proxy is, 10.10.10.x or whatever

if you’re running the reverse proxy on the firewall I’m not sure what the issue might be, I’ve never set it up that way, I have nginx running in a container

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

e.pilot posted:

sorry I was a bit vague there, set up the DNS override so when you’re on your internal network it forwards to the internal IP of the reverse proxy

if your external IP is say 69.4.20.69 and that’s what it’s trying to resolve to when you’re inside of the network it can act strange, change it to resolve to the internal IP of the reverse proxy is, 10.10.10.x or whatever

if you’re running the reverse proxy on the firewall I’m not sure what the issue might be, I’ve never set it up that way, I have nginx running in a container

Oh ok that makes sense, I'll give that a whirl, and yea the webserver and reverse proxy are running as docker containers on another box so nothing on the router itself.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I recently moved to a new house with much faster internet than I previously had access to and I'm now noticing that even though a speed test I ran on my router indicates i'm getting about 500 mbps down my computer and iPhone are only getting 80 mbps and 30 mbps, respectively. I guess that means I'm in the market for a new router? Or an access point and a dedicated router? I'm not sure! Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind doing some configuration but I don't really like getting bogged down in network settings and things like that if I can avoid it, so I'm not really interested in dd-wrt or anything like that. Are there any general product setups people recommend? I currently have a Nighthawk 7800

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ubiquiti dream router

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You can get an RBK50 two pack from Amazon for $130.

You’ll be hard pressed to find a better option anywhere near that price point if you want something that just works out of the box.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Oh I just remembered that in the next year or so I might upgrade to gigabit fiber (waiting for some equipment to get installed on the street). Would both the dream router and/or RBK50 be able to deliver speeds that fast?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
They definitely could over wired. In my experience WiFi 6 2x2 clients on an 80MHz channel (which is usually the default for the 5G band) will top out around 700-800Mbps throughput, which is probably close enough to make no difference. 6E clients ought to be able to get the full 1G, but it looks like the RBK50s are only WiFi 5 and the Dream Router is 6.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I haven't used one, but does the Dream Router have a switch like the ERX where you can turn off all the DPI and security to bump the guarenteed 700 Mbps on the WAN port up to a full gigabit?

Still might be worth it though because you rarely get the rated speed (eg my Gigabit maxes out at 930), and Unifi is a lot more powerful than any of the awful Netgear software. If you're going to plug it in and not touch it for 5 years and don't care about all the added security auditing the dream router will do the Orbi is fine.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Sounds like the dream router might be the best solution, then. Presumably I'll have to update my wifi card, too - any recommendations there? I currently have a Rosewill RNX-AC1900PCE.

I saw some pretty aggressive posts on Reddit indicating that router/AP combos are out of vogue, is that true? I'm skeptical of that because I'm not really seeing that sentiment here and the people who were saying it on Reddit were all saying it in that defensive "I need to justify my purchases" type of way.

I really wish I could just run an ethernet cable to my computer and bypass this whole thing, but that's not really an option in this house.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Sounds like the dream router might be the best solution, then. Presumably I'll have to update my wifi card, too - any recommendations there? I currently have a Rosewill RNX-AC1900PCE.

I saw some pretty aggressive posts on Reddit indicating that router/AP combos are out of vogue, is that true? I'm skeptical of that because I'm not really seeing that sentiment here and the people who were saying it on Reddit were all saying it in that defensive "I need to justify my purchases" type of way.

I really wish I could just run an ethernet cable to my computer and bypass this whole thing, but that's not really an option in this house.

It depends on what level of coverage you want, if you want it to be the best yeah you want a router with ethernet to wirelesss AP in each room and managing all the frequencies to avoid overlap is going to do much better than a router/AP combo but if you don't mind "well i'm going to be able to get about a gig total on my network even if no one wifi device can manage to use all of it on its own" sounds acceptable to you then you are good to go probably

Literally a Dog
Oct 21, 2020

Shugojin posted:

Unfortunately they probably won't broadcast with enough power to get significantly beyond the walls. Indoor APs are in my experience fine for like, sitting on the porch outside and using your phone or setting up a camera out there, but far from strong enough to provide wifi in the way you seem to be describing.

There are outdoor mesh APs that are reasonably element-resistant and can do this job, more or less, but:

1) definitely more money
2) you need to have power outlets at everywhere you would put an outdoor AP - I think a couple farmers who are customers of my company have set up solar + battery backup things because they wanted to keep internet radio going out on their fields when working lol
3) depending on the exact scale of this place you might end up needing to set up a point-to-multipoint system to do the backhaul portion between buildings and then blah blah blah it's a lot more is what i'm saying
4) again depending on the scale they still may not get all of it without a lot of weirdness for power

I did this anyway and it works well haha. The back haul is even set to 6ghz by default, which I didn't expect to work at all! It's for an animal sanctuary and I was donating them so stuck with a budget. Now, to try and get better internet service than DSL 1.5kbps down 0.5 up 🤪

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m having this weird issue with my new network and I’m not sure how to trouble shoot it.

The wifi calling on our phones just randomly stops working for like a few hours and then comes back at some seemingly random point.

Example it was working fine at 7:30 am this morning when my dad called but we were expecting a delivery at 8:30 and it wasn’t working. It started working again at about 9am.

I can see when it started working again because the voicemail was delivered about 9am.

What on earth would cause it to just do this randomly? I really don’t want to disable wifi calling because the cell signal isn’t the best here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MarcusSA posted:

I’m having this weird issue with my new network and I’m not sure how to trouble shoot it.

The wifi calling on our phones just randomly stops working for like a few hours and then comes back at some seemingly random point.

Example it was working fine at 7:30 am this morning when my dad called but we were expecting a delivery at 8:30 and it wasn’t working. It started working again at about 9am.

I can see when it started working again because the voicemail was delivered about 9am.

What on earth would cause it to just do this randomly? I really don’t want to disable wifi calling because the cell signal isn’t the best here.

Intermittent issues are hard to diagnose. Usually I'd blame the cell provider but there's no real way to check it unless they have troubleshooting steps on their site for doing a traceroute to their servers or whatever.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Traceroute isn't really a useful diagnostic tool anymore, since almost every router on the internet will de-prioritize the ICMP echo/replies with decrementing TTLs, going from attempting to not answer it as fast as possible (or at all) all the way up to sending the traffic via an entirely different route - both of which result in different results packet switched networks compared with normal traffic

This can sometimes be worked around by using TCP, but very few implementations of traceroute support doing that because it requires keeping track of RSTs.
This, of course, requires that the routers are configured to send RSTs on a closed port, instead of simply not responding - which is the better option, and is usually the default on OS' that implement half-open connections, which not every OS does, and routers don't tend to like to accept being the destination for.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What router do you have?

This sounds a lot like connection states being dropped by the router after a timeout has been reached.

Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/jqmkiq/wifi_calling_fyi/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maybe turn on UPnPv2 in the router settings?

Had to do it in the CLI on my EdgeRouter, it was like six lines of commands.

Some IoT things require it, I have an ATT phone and a Verizon phone that used to be spotty on WiFi calling, but ever since I turned it on it's never dropped out of WiFi calling.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not sure if this is the right thread but I was gone for a few weeks and I am getting a whole bunch of SSL issues on my home network now. It is only happening with windows devices.

I have a centurylink modem, model C4000XG, that is setup to passthrough to my router, netgear R7500v2. I haven't made any changes to the devices. I was having issues with my Dell XPS13 and my work Dell (although my work Dell has been fine for the last 3 hours). If I connect my XPS13 to my phone hotspot, with the phone connected to my home internet, everything works fine (except for PNC bank as I can only login with incognito).

I tried clearing all my browser cache, resetting the DNS via the cmd, I uninstalled avast, I think that is all I have tried. I logged into my router and and everything was setup to automatic. I for some reason can't get the modem device manager to load so I can't get in there. Checked for all updates to all devices and drivers, everything is good there.

I am not sure what I should try to do next. I could do a fresh install of windows. I could reset the modem. Any ideas?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is the date/time correct?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah i looked at that and seemed good. I just ended up reinstalling Windows last night. It seemed like it was fine now but i will have to check more tonight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does anyone have any feelings about where mikrotik, qnap, netgear, and TPLink stack up as far as management on their switches?

IDK if it’s something where there’s an open firmware that most people run (switch OS?) or if it’s vendor specific or mostly mapped over by another layer of configuration deployment or what. But I was thinking I’d like to get a managed switch for VLANs and some other fancier stuff.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I use mikrotik at home, it does the job but the vlan interface is annoying to say the least.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Juniper EX3300 24 and 48 port PoE switches are going for sub $200 on eBay these days if you can tolerate a 12" deep chassis with a moderately noisy fan. They have 4 SFP+ ports too.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can they be fanmodded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

A cursory search says yes:
https://jade.wtf/tech-notes/quiet-ex3300/