Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what was biohazard 1.5 meant to be like? was any of it used in 2
a lot of characters (leon, ada, marvin, kendo, sherry, chief irons...) and music was repurposed for the final game, as was the basic concept of a zombie invasion of a police station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

trying to jack off posted:

new imp zone project: actually killing these guys irl so we can dump the roms

The Genuine Murder Plot Megathread

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Horatio Caine shaking his head sadly and spectating that the murder victim had the wrong kind of rom

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what was biohazard 1.5 meant to be like? was any of it used in 2

the police station was going to be more realistic but ended up being completely redone there were also some enemies that didnt make it into the final game like zombie gorillas and the chimeras from re1. the game really wanted to push having as many zombies on the screen as possible but this was really taxing on the hardware and made for very boring looking very low resolution zombies abd unexciting gameplay

some of these assets were reused in re3 like the fat zombie but most of it was scrapped when they decided the build wasnt very fun to play and would probably kill the franchise dead if they finished it lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its an interesting piece of gaming history and im glad a build leaked but i thank god everyday kamiya was man enough to realize the game he was making was poo poo and instead of releasing a bad game he and the rest of capcom started over from scratch to make the god like resident evil 2

----------------

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Kins posted:

a lot of characters (leon, ada, marvin, kendo, sherry, chief irons...) and music was repurposed for the final game, as was the basic concept of a zombie invasion of a police station.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its an interesting piece of gaming history and im glad a build leaked but i thank god everyday kamiya was man enough to realize the game he was making was poo poo and instead of releasing a bad game he and the rest of capcom started over from scratch to make the god like resident evil 2

really interesting. that puts the different characters and playthroughs in 2 and 3 into perspective, too, they benefitted from essentially having an extended dev cycle

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Control Volume posted:

There is a weird curse on the Path of Exile thread that turns every well-regarded poster into a bizarre little creep outside the forums. My own funny example is the vaunted Larry Parrish, because my only encounter with him outside of SA was when he went on a 15 minute tangent in in-game chat theorizing how big Ben Shapiros sisters tits were, to the chorus of the entire PoE goon channel repeatedly telling him to shut the gently caress up.

imagining Larry getting lost in the tits and sending out a rescue flare

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She's the size of Gwynevere compared to him

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

laser pointer dot from inside the shirt

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plutonis posted:

She's the size of Gwynevere compared to him

Amazing chest ahead

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

copy posted:

laser pointer dot from inside the shirt

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

----------------

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Amazing chest ahead

lol

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Good soup! posted:

I'm absolutely fascinated by it and would kill for that 80 percent build that is apparently legit out there but in the hands of some rear end in a top hat collector. I want to see it as close to the finished product as possible because it's a cool window into a game that was complete loving trash and would have cratered the series right out of the gate lol

The other RE games including 4 and 5 had a couple of versions that were near-completion and then scrapped because the director wasn't feeling it. It seemed like a massive waste, but then RE6 came out and we got to see what happens when they don't bother cutting anything.

I still can't believe RE6 happened.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

je1 healthcare posted:

The other RE games including 4 and 5 had a couple of versions that were near-completion and then scrapped because the director wasn't feeling it. It seemed like a massive waste, but then RE6 came out and we got to see what happens when they don't bother cutting anything.

I still can't believe RE6 happened.

I can, and it was good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RE4 definitely ran into problems with how many times it was rebooted, which IIRC is why the progression from the villages, to the castle, to the island/labs is so odd and the original game's story is haphazard. The infamous "Hook Man" version had the paranormal elements show up on RE8 (namely the weird rear end dolls), and I think there were other parts that got shifted over to other games

Not counting all of Devil May Cry, obviously

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I can, and it was good.

The last good couch coop game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

one of the reasons there is a castle in re4 is because one of the scrapped versions took place in a castle and they didnt want to throw all the assets away lol

----------------

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it was also going to have a part that took place on a zeppelin

----------------

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I can, and it was good.

There's a good battle system buried in there, but the campaign maps clearly weren't built around them and it fails to introduce players to the new mechanics or teach them that it's fundamentally a melee-oriented game with the guns mostly useful as stun tools

And even when you do finish a campaign or two and have things mastered, it's unfun and tedious to go back to chapter 1 of a new campaign with the difficulty brought way back down.

The upgrade system was crummy, no one likes to finish a chapter and not have enough points to buy anything which was 80% of the time.

The vehicle segments should have been axed

The AI partner is mostly useful as a tank because they were made invincible as a band-aid solution to them needing constant protection

The game had to be patched to reduce the number of QTEs. It also had to be patched to allow camera controls because at launch the character's profile obscured half the screen.

They re-introduced classic zombies and it becomes immediately clear why they stopped using them in RE4. The over-the-shoulder camera makes it too easy to pick off slow lumbering mobs from a distance, zombies are only a threat in closed quarters or if they surprise you. They compensated for this by having zombies that move at random speeds or leap at you from a distance, but it's much less predictable than the RE4 and RE5 enemies whom more or less telegraph their attacks and take turns attacking you as they encircle you.

The reason past RE games made you start with a pistol and doled out new weapons over time was so you could get acclimated to how they each function. Also, it's a cool feeling to pick up a new weapon that's 2x more powerful than your old one. RE6 pretty much gives you the full arsenal on chapter 1 and tosses you into a mob of enemies from the start and lets you figure out in the heat of combat how they differ. Again, I assume this was a band-aid solution for players to get past the wild swings in difficulty.

Like goshdamn it's so frustratingly middling and I've spent more time thinking about it than any other RE game

It had the best version of mercenaries mode though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

je1 healthcare posted:

There's a good battle system buried in there, but the campaign maps clearly weren't built around them and it fails to introduce players to the new mechanics or teach them that it's fundamentally a melee-oriented game with the guns mostly useful as stun tools

And even when you do finish a campaign or two and have things mastered, it's unfun and tedious to go back to chapter 1 of a new campaign with the difficulty brought way back down.

The upgrade system was crummy, no one likes to finish a chapter and not have enough points to buy anything which was 80% of the time.

The AI partner is mostly useful as a tank because they were made invincible as a band-aid solution to them needing constant protection

The game had to be patched to reduce the number of QTEs. It also had to be patched to allow camera controls because at launch the character's profile obscured half the screen.

They re-introduced classic zombies and it becomes immediately clear why they stopped using them in RE4. The over-the-shoulder camera makes it too easy to pick off slow lumbering mobs from a distance, zombies are only a threat in closed quarters or if they surprise you. They compensated for this by having zombies that move at random speeds or leap at you from a distance, but it's much less predictable than the RE4 and RE5 enemies whom more or less telegraph their attacks and take turns attacking you as they encircle you.

The reason past RE games made you start with a pistol and doled out new weapons over time was so you could get acclimated to how they each function. Also, it's a cool feeling to pick up a new weapon that's 2x more powerful than your old one. RE6 pretty much gives you the full arsenal on chapter 1 and tosses you into a mob of enemies from the start and lets you figure out in the heat of combat how they differ. Again, I assume this was a band-aid solution for players to get past the wild swings in difficulty.

Like goshdamn it's so frustratingly middling and I've spent more time thinking about it than any other RE game

I simply played the game and had fun.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

je1 healthcare posted:

too many words

----------------

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

re6 is good now

----------------

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

je1 healthcare posted:

*sneaks up behind you and quietly and peaceably beheads you*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1640907205703610371

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

je1 healthcare posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
None of this is wrong, exactly, but

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Probating people for making on topic posts about video games. Sheesh.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

this

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if anything you should care about the resident evil series even more than that post

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

trying to jack off posted:

if anything you should care about the resident evil series even more than that post

i agree with every word he said but i'll fight to the end to nod have to read jt

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i agree with every word he said but i'll fight to the end to nod have to read jt

i will simply not finish reading the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For everyone who doesn’t read it, I’ll read it twice.