Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How can they even manage that while their streets are on fire!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

They can be relined or rebored. Depending on the level of refurbishment, that can be a workshop level repair or, lol contractors also like when guns are sent to them, which I guess is factory level.

They can be pretty extensive, for example we sent M109s and C1 (WW2 era 105mm guns) to the Dutch firm RDM Technology, who practically rebuilt them, increased their length significantly, added muzzle brakes. That was worthwhile though and more than what we're talking about here which is typically restoring the rifling.

The problem with talking about all of this is that it kind of dovetails with a theme in Ardenne's posts which is what a state would typically do before say 2008 or 1991, and what they do now aren't necessarily the same thing, because not only do states not make the guns themselves anymore, but contractors have been inserted into so many of the processes that you might have a maintenance cycle that's not ideal from a gunnery point of view but very profitable.

All of that being said, every liner and barrel has a lifespan, and of course you keep a daily log of your own guns' use, barrel wear and recorded MV (where you can safely operate the Doppler radars), and after that the first step of intervention is new liner, then rebore, then rebuilt, worst case scrapped. The metal used to produce guns is valuable so I imagine they're melted down and used for other purposes that require steel of that specification.

Thank you for the nice answers. :)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

a jubilant hitler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CgsizHp0kQ

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it won’t be long until parliamentary recognition acts say, actually, holodomor was slightly worse than the holocaust

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

indigi posted:

how are these enormous shipments of tanks and vehicles and military equipment getting into Ukraine without being destroyed? they're coming by rail or caravan, unless they're being delivered one tank/truckload at a time they should be pretty easy to spot from the air. Russia really must be out of missiles ..

Cruise missiles are for large things that don't move, mostly buildings. Ukraine is a big country so ther's nothing else with sufficient range to hit trains in the Western part.The Ukrainians had to stop using trains near the frontline a while ago because they kept getting blown up.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

During another kamikaze drone raid on the night of March 27-28, a Ukrainian pilot of an Su-27 fighter, Major Denis Kirilyuk, was shot down.

It is possible that this is another victory (https://t.me/milinfolive/91850) of "Geranium" in the air battle, or the Ukrainian air defense, which overextended itself in the process of repulsing the raid.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/98594, via tgsa)

shahedeen have claimed another victim

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/98594, via tgsa)

shahedeen have claimed another victim

huh? did they bomb it on the runway or something?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Freezer posted:

huh? did they bomb it on the runway or something?

most likely midair collision like what happened to the guy who also lost his mig-29 to a shahed

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
$30,000,000 jet taken out by crashing into a $20,000 drone made with the chip from a laundry machine.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1640711602306535424#m

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

cool

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the sound of death, brought to you by SimplyFresh and Disney+

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thank u mark hamill

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm replacing the air raid sirens with the disney fantasia soundtrack as we speak.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is the yellow checkmark for piss

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
you know what this war needs, more pop culture references

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AFU infantryman huddling in a trench and feeling a chill go up his spine as his commander informs him THEY’RE SENDING IN THE SUPERS

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i hope he does it all in the joker voice

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

One order of normalsonic missiles please!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Cruise missiles are for large things that don't move, mostly buildings. Ukraine is a big country so ther's nothing else with sufficient range to hit trains in the Western part.The Ukrainians had to stop using trains near the frontline a while ago because they kept getting blown up.

There are also cruise missiles with TV terminal guidance that are manually targeted at the end.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Corky Romanovsky posted:

There are also cruise missiles with TV terminal guidance that are manually targeted at the end.

SLAM-ER with the unsubtle name.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

how do you not know what sides represents the nazis

CHOOSE WISELY!

OH NO

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

SLAM-ER with the unsubtle name.

This is "eagle strike 83" erasure.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Just shelling them as they come under your guns seems a much safer strategy and it doesn’t seem like time is working against the Russians either.

Also to be honest, if the Russians did a big offensive and took Kiev, would the war end? Probably not

Not sure focusing on KDR is going to work out. Someone else once thought like this:

quote:

By fighting multiple kesselschlachts, or encirclement battles, the Wehrmacht planned to annihilate the Red Army and destroy the Soviet Union’s capacity to resist by the autumn of 1941. The objective was very clear: destroy Soviet fighting power. Annihilating the Red Army took absolute priority over capturing any specific geographic markers. Hitler himself had remarked that even Moscow was “of no great importance.” Rather, the objective of Barbarossa was to destroy Soviet manpower

As we all know, that ended great and that's why we're all conversing in German right now

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

There's been an incident in Chechnya with some attempted terrorist attack, unclear if it was connected to Ukraine but doesn't seem like it.

I opened the video Kadyrov posted and it's madness, he's standing in this sea of armed people and they literally lay two mutilated corpses at his feet. He smiles and gives a speech in Chechen (no idea what he said). Turns out he doesn't add content warnings to stuff he posts.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i learned my lesson a long time ago on clicking anything called "chechen video"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1640698250285182976?s=20

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well if they don't open a second front and then coke themselves and their officers up while running themselves into the ground they may have a better chance of pulling it off than old poo poo-stasche.

As it is, there may be more people willing to not die in this situation as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think everyone broadly agrees its not the best way to run a war but it might be Russia's only plausible option

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1640743837810270208?s=20

A Ukrainian counterattack toward Bakhmut has been repulsed with what I am going to assume were heavy losses.

As the video shows the lead vehicle getting hit with an anti-tank rocket and then artillery dropping atop the Ukrainian soldiers attempting to retreat back along the open road on foot.

If these are the counterattacks the AFU are conducting toward Bakhmut, piece meal and without support, then it's no wonder they are taking heavy losses to Russian artillery fire.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al! posted:

i hope he does it all in the joker voice

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zelenskyy's miracle weapons are finally breaking through comrades!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1640743837810270208?s=20

A Ukrainian counterattack toward Bakhmut has been repulsed with what I am going to assume were heavy losses.

As the video shows the lead vehicle getting hit with an anti-tank rocket and then artillery dropping atop the Ukrainian soldiers attempting to retreat back along the open road on foot.

If these are the counterattacks the AFU are conducting toward Bakhmut, piece meal and without support, then it's no wonder they are taking heavy losses to Russian artillery fire.

this may be older footage showing the russians getting repulsed. while looking into more of the competing claims I realized I didn't care to wade through the claims and counterclaims of XYZ poster being a paid russian agent or wanting ukraine to lose or damaging the war effort.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Are they even pretending the national guard is a defensive organization anymore?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tazjin posted:

There's been an incident in Chechnya with some attempted terrorist attack, unclear if it was connected to Ukraine but doesn't seem like it.

I opened the video Kadyrov posted and it's madness, he's standing in this sea of armed people and they literally lay two mutilated corpses at his feet. He smiles and gives a speech in Chechen (no idea what he said). Turns out he doesn't add content warnings to stuff he posts.

Heavily accented voice:
Content warnings are for soft weak westerners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ron Paul it's happening gif

https://www.euronews.com/video/2023/03/27/are-leopard-2-tanks-getting-stuck-in-the-mud-in-ukraine

(yes)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Are they even pretending the national guard is a defensive organization anymore?

The best defence is to attack.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yes!

Someone post that gif of bison from the street fighter anime that does the rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Cpt_Obvious posted:

i dont think anyone was ever pretending that to start with