Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Donkringel posted:

A manga leak site says that Frieren will be back on the 22nd of this month.

I'm unsure of the validity but thought folks may want to know.

Apparently the latest chapter came out yesterday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess we know the longest this arc could be

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

New chapter is up!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh. So is Zart from the future as well? Or is he someone from the past that just knows about the anomaly? That being said, having a full arc, complete with demon antagonists, with the original Hero party certainly rules.

Also, Frieren is back!!! :woop:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Oh, it's back! Maybe Paul Zart: Time Cop lives in/is trapped in the the timespace anomaly. He has some foreknowledge about Frieran but idk about being from the actual future, where demon king is defeated. Would a demon keep doing a job given from one of the seven even after the king and crew lost?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think he knows frieren is from the future, but not any details about the future. otherwise, he wouldn't have tried to kill her in a way that any future mage could easily counter.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya this demon could have just been off doing weird research for hundreds of years and only came over cause he sensed the time/space poo poo going on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

frieren thinking while plummeting to earth upside down :hellyeah:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What a horrifying way to kill people yet incredibly efficient.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This is a total silver age Superman situation, it feels like.

The protagonist is strong enough to easily solve the problem of the moment, but the tricky bit is solving it without giving the game away.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Brought To You By posted:

What a horrifying way to kill people yet incredibly efficient.

my man played Morrowind

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
He uses space-time magic given how Frieren is talking about the teleportation and the demon sage he served under, I think, is the one that can see the future so it's not hard to imagine he's here checking on time travelers even if he can't see the future himself.

chiasaur11 posted:

This is a total silver age Superman situation, it feels like.

The protagonist is strong enough to easily solve the problem of the moment, but the tricky bit is solving it without giving the game away.

She's also being hindered by the fact that time is so blurred for her she can't remember what magic was available when and well, she also has to keep him from running away before she kills him. Which his power would make pretty tricky.

Good to see Himmel himself is no slouch. I also really appreciate how everyone can totally read Frieren emotionally.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think he knows frieren is from the future, but not any details about the future. otherwise, he wouldn't have tried to kill her in a way that any future mage could easily counter.

I wonder if it's something all demons can instinctively "see" due to their nature, but not something they can easily interpret or do anything about because what they see is so different from the lived reality of other races

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

She should challenge the guy to an eating contest and make him think she knows his magic by "displacing" the food

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

She should challenge the guy to an eating contest and make him think she knows his magic by "displacing" the food

I knew Fern was a big eater due to the enormous pies and burgers she's always holding in time-passing montages, but was Frieren always such a big eater too?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it's worth noting his ?title? is "Remnant," which to me says he's totally from the future, after the DK and I would bet even the sage he works for are gone, but he's still following their orders

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rody One Half posted:

I think it's worth noting his ?title? is "Remnant," which to me says he's totally from the future, after the DK and I would bet even the sage he works for are gone, but he's still following their orders

Really, because a title like that suggests just the opposite to me i.e. he's from the past and just caught in the same time loop for a long time or something himself, not that he's from the future.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It would be too complicated as a closed loop (unless the memory wipe already established was used), but it would be fun to see if Fern and Stark had to deal with past Frieren while she deals with her past.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

tsob posted:

Really, because a title like that suggests just the opposite to me i.e. he's from the past and just caught in the same time loop for a long time or something himself, not that he's from the future.

It works both ways because a remnant could be a remnant of the demon king's army (which implies he is from the future) or a remnant of the past (implying he is from the past ) - its a fun name and I assume we will get an answer in the next chapter or 2 either way

The fact that the hero party never encountered him originally makes it seem like he is from the future

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jerkface posted:

It works both ways because a remnant could be a remnant of the demon king's army (which implies he is from the future) or a remnant of the past (implying he is from the past ) - its a fun name and I assume we will get an answer in the next chapter or 2 either way

The fact that the hero party never encountered him originally makes it seem like he is from the future

I think they did. Right there. Frieren just doesn't remember this little adventure, because past Frieren wasn't really conscious on the first run.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think they did. Right there. Frieren just doesn't remember this little adventure, because past Frieren wasn't really conscious on the first run.

you're right, I didnt remember the hazy magic aspect of it. Makes sense!

This makes sense if they are in a closed loop and she just forgot it
\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 22, 2023

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think you hit it.
Frieren just said that analyzing the monument made the past few days or whatever very blurry in your memory.
She doesn’t remember the fight and subsequent stuff because it was future her doing it!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Well obviously they just did encounter him, but had they actually encountered him prior she would have remembered. This is not a closed time loop situation, this is a new experience occurring in the past, not something that has always happened which we are now finding out was actually some time travel hijinks.
you seem very confident its not a closed loop and I'm not really sure why. Freieren doesn't remember the encounter because she was not there when it occured - her future self was in the driver's seat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nihilarian posted:

you seem very confident its not a closed loop and I'm not really sure why. Freieren doesn't remember the encounter because she was not there when it occured - her future self was in the driver's seat.

Yea I just edited my post! Haha! I agree with the conclusions now I didnt think about the magic part actually just making her forget it all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Really cool to see Himmel do something. :woop:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

Really cool to see Himmel do something. :woop:

My boy himmel strong af

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how he announces himself as Hero like it's a class. Why yes, I am the main character, why do you ask?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I like how he announces himself as Hero like it's a class. Why yes, I am the main character, why do you ask?

I think it is his class

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How will our heroine get out of this mess folks?!

I'm guessing that Frieran will simply use those Soul Track defense shields that everyone's commonly been activating as a means to safely platform her way back to the ground, since flight would be a spoiler and we can't have that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

How will our heroine get out of this mess folks?!

I'm guessing that Frieran will simply use those Soul Track defense shields that everyone's commonly been activating as a means to safely platform her way back to the ground, since flight would be a spoiler and we can't have that.

She will wake up to an angry Fern. It was all a dream.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Hero is a title, and Its anyone leading an party to fight demons.
Like the Hero of the South (and all our hearts).

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't remember the magic tech timeline but at this point in history did Frieran have the shield? It's standard now but I thought the Soul Track defense was developed quite after that one demon got sealed bc they couldn't beat him

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Honestly I would expect the answer to be "slaughter the demon, open up to her dearest companions and trust them to keep her secret forever", especially if this is the last Frieren we can expect for a good long while

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah I hope they manage to avoid finding out about it at all, making meaningful changes to important past events like that sucks if this is actual true time travel

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Honestly I would expect the answer to be "slaughter the demon, open up to her dearest companions and trust them to keep her secret forever", especially if this is the last Frieren we can expect for a good long while

I doubt it, because the issue she has with using future magics has gently caress all to do with trust and instead with the fact that telling them could alter the future and negate her friend's existences. Which could happen regardless of how well the rest of the party keeps her secret, or even how much they want to not change the future based on that knowledge. Just having it will fundamentally alter their behavior, regardless of intention. Which is way, way, way too much of a gamble to put on "but I trust them" when the very existence of people she loves is on the line. The answer being her telling the rest of the party about what's happening would be really cheap and kind of underwhelming given the stakes the story has established.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Unless this is a stable time loop, they always knew and she never cottoned on?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

New Chapter

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like how much more, for lack of a better word, "raw" the oldschool magic looks.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Well, that answers a lot of question! :v:

Also I really like how it puts into perspective just how much has mankind developed magic in less than a hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
more like Fart, because that's about as strong as that guy was