Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I liked The Menu enough and thought it started really strong but it turned into a different movie than the one I was expecting and it just kinda bummed me out.

what were you expecting

I thought it was gonna be cannibalism

I also thought Parasite was going to be cannibalism based on a misheard conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also thought The Menu was going to be cannibalism and I was so happy it went in a totally different direction. That burger also looked really good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The burger did look dope

I'm also J Wellington Wimpy irl

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MacheteZombie posted:

The burger did look dope

I'm also J Wellington Wimpy irl

*cracks knuckles* Calendar says it's Tuesday, buster

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i'd probably eat Tyler's bullshit lamb dish on any given day cuz I can't cook

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Menu is a really good dark comedy that was marketed as a horror movie.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Filmmaking is literally the art of smoke and mirrors, and you use whatever tools are available and seem to work the best for a particular shot. All those blooper spotters point out a lot of places where props are swapped around between scenes, as well as stunt doubles and so on.

I rewatched the Replacement Killers recently and there's one henchman who I swear buys it in at least three of the film's many shootouts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

The Menu is a really good dark comedy that was marketed as a horror movie.

I rewatched the Replacement Killers recently and there's one henchman who I swear buys it in at least three of the film's many shootouts.

Must be related to the guy in Commando that dies three times too lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

*cracks knuckles* Calendar says it's Tuesday, buster

Turkey burger last night, if I have my way, real burger tonight

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Must be related to the guy in Commando that dies three times too lol

link

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It's spread throughout the big shootout at the end. Look for like a medium side view of a guy with a beard getting hit be a few bullets.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640770371698696224?s=20

I have absolutely no idea what this is going to look like

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640421798461227012?s=20

man I haven't seen anything John Woo has done lately even though he has been working

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640421798461227012?s=20

man I haven't seen anything John Woo has done lately even though he has been working

It's largely been remixes of his biggest hits, which is fine since he's earned it, but that's what he's been up to.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One of these sounds very cool, the other sounds very dumb

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m in for Coogler x files.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Failed Imagineer posted:

Flux Gourmet was so much better than The Menu that it wouldn't withstand the comparison. gently caress Peter Strickland is so good

They're both wonderful

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Something about Joel Kinnaman just does it for me, you know?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

joel k could be named chris and join the other chrises in confusing me tbh

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw Peter Strickland introduce Berbarian Sound Studio a few months ago, and then Flux Gourmet the next night. He sounded pretty down on creating any more films as it's getting harder and harder to get the financing, and so easier and simpler to make money script writing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If there’s no dialogue, how is he going to say “Garbage day!”?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
All I've seen with Joel Kinnaman is For All Mankind, which started out with him playing a 30-something and, next season, probably a man pushing 70 despite not looking any different. And his character was born in the 30s, so we're not talking a modern-day 70, we're talking old-rear end 70.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rochallor posted:

All I've seen with Joel Kinnaman is For All Mankind, which started out with him playing a 30-something and, next season, probably a man pushing 70 despite not looking any different. And his character was born in the 30s, so we're not talking a modern-day 70, we're talking old-rear end 70.

Ah, just like the Yakuza video games.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Something about Joel Kinnaman just does it for me, you know?
he's insanely well-cast in For All Mankind as an old-school macho manchild who you can't help but root for

e: the age stuff is certainly goofy as hell. tbh the entire show jumps the shark in the third season, but at least they have his character juicing in order to stay buff while he gets aged up

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

If there’s no dialogue, how is he going to say “Garbage day!”?

Dialogue card.

No. Instead, he will shoot someone and then we cut and zoom to a calendar with the day's date circled and GARBAGE DAY written on it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

Dialogue card.

No. Instead, he will shoot someone and then we cut and zoom to a calendar with the day's date circled and GARBAGE DAY written on it.

He taps on the calendar while looking slightly to the left of the camera and waggling his eyebrows.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Just find the two hottest people in the world and from there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This isn't the XXX Files

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

fatherboxx posted:

Just find the two hottest people in the world and from there

:getin:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is the X-files something that can work in 2023? Conspiracy theories have a lot darker, stupider, and just generally more racists tones these days.

Like if they change it to something more like Fringe, hell yeah, or just two FBI agents working weird cryptid type cases that could be cool. But if they start to bring in all the alien/government conspiracy theory stuff.... then nope. The alien/government conspiracy stuff was the worst part of the x-files anyway so would be more than happy with them just ditching that.

Oh just noticed it's going to be a animated comedy thing by the guy who did that god awful Paradise PD dreck. So yeah it's going to be complete garbage.

If you want a good X-files satire just watch Wellington Paranormal.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

dr_rat posted:

Is the X-files something that can work in 2023? Conspiracy theories have a lot darker, stupider, and just generally more racists tones these days.
Hell, the final revival series devoted a whole episode to how Mulder and his quest for the truth have become completely irrelevant in a post-truth world of dumbfuck rabbit-hole Q bullshit. And it was fantastic. (But then, it was a Darin Morgan script.)

"I'm FOX FREAKIN' MULDER, you punks!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Ah yes, the mid-90s, when there was a complete absence of paranoid white supremacist conspiracies in America. Absolutely zero federal buildings exploded by neo-Nazis

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah yes, the mid-90s, when there was a complete absence of paranoid white supremacist conspiracies in America. Absolutely zero federal buildings exploded by neo-Nazis

That's what they want you to believe!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we still can't make too many white nazis the bad guys in 2023

because Republicans still buy Nikes too

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1640760913400848385?t=kDA1B2V-SkDPz4yLm0HP2Q&s=19

Lol what a frog (derogatory)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

they pretty much tackled it head on too, the X-Files movie opens with a very thinly veiled version of the Oklahoma City bombing

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also notable that both Timothy McVeigh and Chris Carter were radicalized into their conspiracy views from reading Behold a Pale Horse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Also notable that both Timothy McVeigh and Chris Carter were radicalized into their conspiracy views from reading Behold a Pale Horse.

god that book was everywhere in the '90s huh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have Scully and Mulder find and kill Q in the first season or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

god that book was everywhere in the '90s huh

That and Bridges of Madison County

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have Scully and Mulder find and kill Q in the first season or something.

Only if he's played by John de Lancie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 29, 2023